Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-28-2013, 3:35 PM

Default SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY INTERVIEW 2-20-13!!

HELLO CALGUNNERS,

Got the call today for my interview! i didnt expect to be as shocked as i was.. felt like a kid when they said, "were you still interested in obtaining a CCW permit?" AWESOMEEE!!!

I was wondering if someone who has their CCW in San Bernardino county could give me some advice/help with my application. I want to be as neat and thorough as I can. my fiancee and I purchased a home together back in June but is fully in her name since i am a full time student with little income. they said i needed the tax form and to have it notarized. a little confused with that.. And, just to make clear, my 3 reference letters have to state that the people understand it is for a CCW?? etc...

thanks in advance!
J Sawaia
Old 01-28-2013, 4:20 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperP2005 View Post
And, just to make clear, my 3 reference letters have to state that the people understand it is for a CCW??
Correct.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-28-2013, 5:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
HELLO CALGUNNERS,

Got the call today for my interview! i didnt expect to be as shocked as i was.. felt like a kid when they said, "were you still interested in obtaining a CCW permit?" AWESOMEEE!!!

I was wondering if someone who has their CCW in San Bernardino county could give me some advice/help with my application. I want to be as neat and thorough as I can. my fiancee and I purchased a home together back in June but is fully in her name since i am a full time student with little income. they said i needed the tax form and to have it notarized. a little confused with that.. And, just to make clear, my 3 reference letters have to state that the people understand it is for a CCW?? etc...

thanks in advance!
J Sawaia
Yes, what Quiet said. It has nothing to do with income. Do what they say's Don't over think it....
Old 01-28-2013, 6:29 PM

Thanks guys!

How long from the interview date should it take to receive the actual permit? If that's a question that can be answered.
Old 01-28-2013, 6:48 PM

Not to hijack...but on the references, what do they consider "relatives"? Is it direct blood-line relatives, husband/wife, cousin, etc?
Old 01-28-2013, 7:53 PM

I'm concerned about your proving that you live in San Bernardino County for at least one year. I recall San Bernardino requires one year residency in the County.

You said you bought the house in June which would be less than a year. You should bring your old rental agreement if you rented or prior deed if you owned within the County to meet the one-year policy. Perhaps you should Bring documents with you name on it showing you live at the current address -- water bill, tax return, w-2.

Remember the other stuff like money orders and original or certified copy of your birth certificate. Bring your unloaded firearm(s) with the mags out and in a locked case.

The interview itself is straight forward. They will go over your application and run your firearms to ensure they're in your name. You'll also do a livescan.

If you are missing any documents, your interview will be postponed.

After the interview, you'll get a range class set within 60 days (could be longer now). The class is in Devore. The license should come within a few weeks after that.

Hang in there!
Old 01-28-2013, 8:08 PM

Jenericsig,

Thanks for the detailed advice! I've lived in San Bernardino county my whole life. (High desert) I'll call them this week to see if there is more info theyll need to verify. All of the utilities are in my name so I shouldn't have a problem with that.

I've got a g26 and a Springfield emp 9mm.

What would y'all recommend for my 3rd ccw pistol...
Old 01-28-2013, 8:20 PM

Sounds good!

I like my S&W M&P340 j-frame .357. Great for pocket carry in a Desanti pocket holster. Painful to shoot full loads so I now use .38+p Gold Dots.

The .357 goes well with my other two: a G26 and Sig P220.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:45 PM

Ok sounds good, I'll check em out. Never owned a revolver before. More of a semi auto guy but I know revolvers are known for their reliability!
Old 01-28-2013, 8:46 PM

I am also a lifetime resident of the High Desert. I placed my name on the interview list on January 15th and had a couple of questions for the OP.

1) When did you place your name on the list for the interview? (i.e. how long did it take to get your interview date?)

2) I did not see a requirement for a tax form or even the one-year rule in the packet. Did I overlook it? (Item 4.E.: Copy of your most recent utility bills AND a copy of your deed with a parcel number or any other sufficient proof of a full time residency within the County of San Bernardino as indicated on your application. Your name MUST appear on the utility bill, deed or rental agreement.)

3) Where does it say that the Letters of Reference must indicate that the writer knows it is for a CCW? Not a real problem per se, but I did not see that.

I frequently travel for business and one of my concerns is that that my interview date will be set for a date that I am gone. I am hoping they will be willing to push the date back without making me go to the end of the line.

I am keeping a detailed journal of my progress. I'm thinking it might make a good read for others following in my footsteps.

Last edited by eventhorizons; 01-28-2013 at 8:51 PM.. Reason: Additional question
Old 01-28-2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys!

How long from the interview date should it take to receive the actual permit? If that's a question that can be answered.
It took 5 months to get into a class and another month to receive the card.
Old 01-28-2013, 8:58 PM

I went in to pick up the app towards the end of OCT. 2012. Called the next day and they said they'd contact me when I was able to interview. The rough estimate they gave me was supposed to have been in the month of DEC. but received the call today around 3 pm with the interview date 2-20-13.

I'm still not too sure what information they need in regards to my residence.. My situation is a little different because I don't own..

Thnk you JWW!
Old 01-28-2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizons View Post
I am also a lifetime resident of the High Desert. I placed my name on the interview list on January 15th and had a couple of questions for the OP.

1) When did you place your name on the list for the interview? (i.e. how long did it take to get your interview date?)

2) I did not see a requirement for a tax form or even the one-year rule in the packet. Did I overlook it? (Item 4.E.: Copy of your most recent utility bills AND a copy of your deed with a parcel number or any other sufficient proof of a full time residency within the County of San Bernardino as indicated on your application. Your name MUST appear on the utility bill, deed or rental agreement.)

3) Where does it say that the Letters of Reference must indicate that the writer knows it is for a CCW? Not a real problem per se, but I did not see that.

I frequently travel for business and one of my concerns is that that my interview date will be set for a date that I am gone. I am hoping they will be willing to push the date back without making me go to the end of the line.

I am keeping a detailed journal of my progress. I'm thinking it might make a good read for others following in my footsteps.
Not the op but here is my experience.

1- I picked up my app in Dec-11, interviewed in July, took the class Dec-12 and received card Jan-13.

2- I understood at as a means to verify residency. I gave them my property tax bill and it was fine.

3- It should be noted at the beginning of your packet. I believe its right above the part where you enter the 4 references. Its before the state part of the application.
Old 01-28-2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
2- I understood at as a means to verify residency. I gave them my property tax bill and it was fine.

3- It should be noted at the beginning of your packet. I believe its right above the part where you enter the 4 references. Its before the state part of the application.
Thanks. I was thinking of using my property tax bills along with some utility bills. (Side note: In this modern age, however, how many of us get actual bills? I wonder how they would feel about screen prints from SCE's website?)

On my application packet (Rev. 5/12) Item 4.F. says "Three letters of reference (Originals). Letters must contain the writers name, address and phone number where they can be reached during normal business hours"
Item 4.G. says "Carefully compete the following on FOUR persons who know you well enough to give current or past information about you. DO NOT INCLUDE relatives, Past employers or Persons who have written personal reference letters."

I am a quiet person with many acquaintances but only a few people I can call "good friends". I actually had to work to come up with seven people that I felt I could approach for character letters or as personal references regarding a CCW.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM

I guess they changed it on the 5/12 rev.

I had a tough time with the letters and references too.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 PM

I haven't looked at my app in detail since i picked it up. After they called, I've been Asking my references if they'd participate and they all have agreed. Must the write an actual letter or just give their personal information for the sheriffs office to contact?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I went in to pick up the app towards the end of OCT. 2012. Called the next day and they said they'd contact me when I was able to interview. The rough estimate they gave me was supposed to have been in the month of DEC. but received the call today around 3 pm with the interview date 2-20-13
I picked up application on 10-10-12, filled it out completely (like instructions say, including getting letters...) and called for interview on 10-30-12. I was told same thing, we'll call you in December. Still no call.
Since we're applying in the same time frame I'm glad to hear you got the call. Hopefully mine will come soon!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM

sounds like you should be getting the call any day now. you didnt date any of the app did you?
Old 01-29-2013, 2:41 PM
Banned

Good tip for those seven references. Three have to write letters of reference for you, which you collect from them and deliver as part of your packet. Four of them will receive a letter in the mail from the Sheriff's office that they have to complete and mail back.

From my experience, pick your strongest and most responsible four references to be the ones who RECEIVE the letter from the SO. These folks have to be on the lookout for the letter in the mail, not discard it as junk mail, actually fill out the letter, then mail it back. Tell them to keep a copy of it as they sometimes go missing from the file.

For the three who have to write letters, these can be the three who you are a little less sure of since they give the letters to you to deliver. You can nag them if needed until you have the letters. Make copies of these too.

I'd wish you luck, but you really don't need any. SBSO approves virtually everyone who applies, so it won't be too long before you have your license with the rest of us.
Old 01-29-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
Not to hijack...but on the references, what do they consider "relatives"? Is it direct blood-line relatives, husband/wife, cousin, etc?
Can anyone who's been through the process answer this? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
Can anyone who's been through the process answer this? Thanks.
I would say anyone you consider family should be excluded. I used a mix of friends, neighbors and coworkers.
Old 01-30-2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
sounds like you should be getting the call any day now. you didnt date any of the app did you?
I didn't date the app, unfortunately referecne letter writers did date them so I'll have get them to re-print them when I know I'm in he 60 day window.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM

When I picked up the application, due to the long wait times, the very pleasant lady at the SO told me NOT to fill it out until shortly before the interview.

In fact, she was very specific on that regarding the "Notarized Authorization to Release Information Carry Concealed Weapons Permit" because it will expire a year after it is notarized. Reading that form, it can be used to access your banking records, medical history and employment records. Very Kafkaesque. I did not have to release that much information back when I was entrusted with our proud nations most highly classified data!
Old 01-30-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
sounds like you should be getting the call any day now.
Call came today! Interview is a few weeks after Trappers.

Steph, I wouldn't use anyone related by blood or marriage.
Old 01-30-2013, 3:10 PM

That's awesome, congrats! I'll keep you posted once I finish mine so you have a better idea what to expect since they are only weeks apart.
Old 01-30-2013, 3:17 PM
Banned

Steph,

It's been a long time, so I'm not certain. Best that you simply call Joyce or Deanna at ER and ask. They truly want to assist you through the process and will answer all your questions.
Old 01-30-2013, 3:22 PM

*important questions.. I'm iffy on the dates of employment.. I've had quite a few jobs and can't remember exact dates..

Should I only put down my previous residence that received my mail?

Up until 2010 I was living with my father. (Roughly 12-13 years) at that address. after he passed away, I moved a few times living with family and friends. I had my mail forwarded to my grandmothers house since it was easier than getting a P.O box.i rented an apartment but continued to receive mail at her address other than a couple utilities, which were sent to the apartment.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:29 PM

Default Got an interview date....!

Got the call late today from a friendly-sounding deputy.

Surprised the heck out of me! Honestly did not expect to hear from them for a while! It's been just over three weeks since I put my name on the list!

Anyway, she date she initially mentioned, a Thursday in late April, was a week that I was going to be gone on travel. When I asked her if a later date was available, she offered me the following Monday! Woo Hoo!

She also told me I did not need the letters of reference and to fill out the form completely, even the parts that say "Do Not Complete".

Sounds to me like they are really trying to streamline the process!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhorizons View Post
Got the call late today from a friendly-sounding deputy.

Surprised the heck out of me! Honestly did not expect to hear from them for a while! It's been just over three weeks since I put my name on the list!

Anyway, she date she initially mentioned, a Thursday in late April, was a week that I was going to be gone on travel. When I asked her if a later date was available, she offered me the following Monday! Woo Hoo!

She also told me I did not need the letters of reference and to fill out the form completely, even the parts that say "Do Not Complete".

Sounds to me like they are really trying to streamline the process!

SAY WHAAAT??? you get to toss out the reference letters?? awesome!! sounds like they are making it easier!! it just keeps getting better and better the closer 'WE" get to our interviews!
Old 02-09-2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
*important questions.. I'm iffy on the dates of employment.. I've had quite a few jobs and can't remember exact dates..

Should I only put down my previous residence that received my mail?
To answer your earlier questions, including the one quoted above.

If there is anything I can do to help you with the form, do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to talk, I can send you my phone number.

I have a tendency to be MORE thorough and MORE informative then they usually want. Think of this like applying for a Top-Secret Security Clearance. Back then, the field agents talked to my neighbors and asked them things like "Do you know anything he would NOT want made public?" or "Would you trust him?"

I would put all addresses and jobs EXACTLY as they occurred. If I was not sure of something, then I would state that! ("To the best of my recollection") No games. No fudging. When I was applying for jobs, it irked me that they wanted supervisors, phones and addresses for everywhere I had ever worked! (This application is almost as bad!) One place I worked has long been bulldozed and a shopping mall built over over it! And no...I have no idea where Mr. Bennett is now or if he is even still alive after these 25 years!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:09 PM
Banned

I wouldn't worry about exact dates, particularly if they are over 5 years ago. Just do your best And note that they are approximate.

San Berdoo doesn't nit pick.

So, no references now, huh? Very nice. It just keeps getting better here. .
Old 02-13-2013, 2:01 PM

Just received a phone call from the San B sheriffs office. Rescheduling ccw interview for the 26 rather than the 20th...

... They are holding a funeral for the fallen officer from San Bernardino county.

Very surreal considering the circumstance.

...Rest easy...
Old 02-21-2013, 2:43 PM

5 days until interview!

just thought I'd share that..
Old 02-25-2013, 4:39 PM

hey guys

well i am scheduled for my interview on the 1st, wanted to check on the letters issue. does anyone have the number for ER (joyce or Deanna). Any help is sincerely appreciated
Old 02-26-2013, 6:47 AM

You don't need the letters of character. Every person I asked to write one for me flaked. I called yesterday (the day before interview) and the lady said they don't need them anymore. 5 hours and 15 min till appointment!
Old 02-26-2013, 7:26 AM

I have heard there is an additional questionaire that they were asking applicants to fill in at the interview. Does anyone know if this is true and if it is, are they still requiring it?
Old 02-26-2013, 8:02 AM

Trapper, would like to hear how everything went, my interview is scheduled for tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 8:15 PM

Hey Trapper.

Hope all went very well for you at the LTC interview. Can you shed some light on the proceedings; were they ok with not having the reference letters.

thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Interview yesterday - 4-29-13

Had my interview yesterday. After all the talk in San Barnardino I was expecting some kind of mass-processing thing.

Nothing further from the truth. While I was there I think one other person came in. I heard it said that there was only one investigator working that day and he was fully booked.

They are obviously very practiced. She ran me through everything like a well oiled machine. Kind of like buying a house but with more signatures. They keep asking the same questions and saying the same things over and over again!

Everybody was extremely pleasant and professional. They have you fill out a bunch of forms that have a lot of the same questions, including a form where you have to explain any "yes" answers. (Like donating blood!)

The interview was less of an interview and more of a going over the forms and verifying that you had read and understand them. He made no comment on my GC statement, which was somewhat more then "Because the 2nd amendment lets me!" or the "Prsonal Protection" that so many here espouse.

Now I wait for the background check and and neighbor interviews to clear and I will be called and offered a range date. They said 60-90 days for that call.

Tick tock!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 AM
CGN Contributor

It is strange how each county is different as far as their process, but the wait is the same.....
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]