Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-20-2011, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.

Political subdivision=county.
I am sort of on the edge of the brink of getting it ... but can you explain it to me as if I'm a 9-year-old? This legal stuff makes my head spin.
Old 01-20-2011, 2:15 PM

Before leaving my appt. today I asked for a list of approved courses. These two pages were handed to me so I scanned them for all to have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto929 View Post
doubleup16--

Where did you get the list of classes? I still can't find anything on the county website....

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post
I am sort of on the edge of the brink of getting it ... but can you explain it to me as if I'm a 9-year-old? This legal stuff makes my head spin.
Only the state can direct the registration of firearms, not the city PD's, county sheriff's, or other forms of city/county/municipal government. They can't do it as a general law, or do it individually. State Preemption of Registration and Licensing.
Old 01-20-2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleup16 View Post
Before leaving my appt. today I asked for a list of approved courses. These two pages were handed to me so I scanned them for all to have access to.
Sucks for me. I've been an El Dorado S/O approved instructor for quite some time now and as you can see, I'm not on the list!

I'm getting on the phone right now.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-20-2011, 9:00 PM

Default Q & A with the Sheriff

This might be helpful for all of you in El Dorado County. I spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini this afternoon (after seeing that my name, amongst others, is not on the apparent incomplete list of approved instructors posted on the previous page of this thread) and I asked a few questions that were posted in this thread and that have come to me via PM or e-mail. These were the questions and his responses (all in my words):

1. At what point in the application process do you require applicants to submit their guns and/or ammo for inspection by your Armorer?

Not at all, unless the gun listed on the application is something that's quite unusual.

2. Do you restrict CCW holders from carrying in school zones or do you follow what's written in PC626.9(l) and USC Title 18 Section 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) which exempts CCW holders from this?

CCW's issued from the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department are not restricted in school zones pursuant PC626.9. The goal is to allow whatever the law allows and to restrict only what the law requires any department to restrict.

3. What alterations or modifications to guns will you allow and what won't you allow?

Allowed: Grips, grip screws, mag releases, slide release levers, sights, beaver tail grip safeties, thumb safeties ... pretty much anything that won't affect the safe operation and/or safe handling of the gun. Just be sure that the parts are installed properly (by a competent person) and that they work the way they're supposed to.
Not allowed: Removal of safeties, reduced or lightened triggers to the point that they're an accident waiting to happen (there's no set poundage that is acceptable or not, just use common sense, you don't want a 2lb trigger pull on a carry gun and you certainly don't want to have to answer to a DA Investigator why your trigger pull is so light). Note: there may be more items that are unacceptable that we just didn't discuss. If you have to really question it, it's probably not OK.

4. Is there a minimum length required of the initial and renewal courses?

Initial - 8 hours
Renewal - 4 hours

5. Is there a required time before or during the application process that the training course must be completed?

Shortly before or during the application process is fine. You don't have to turn in a completion certificate with your application but, you can if you want to. The goal is to streamline the process so it's consistent and efficient, so you can get everything done in a couple of visits.

6. Do you require a specific qualification course of fire or the use of a specific target?

No. That's completely up to the instructor.

This is yet another conversation with the Sheriff that solidifies that he's very pro-CCW for the good guys. It should be pretty apparent that he's doing all that he can to make this process simple and painless for all of us. A big "THANK YOU" goes out again to Sheriff John D'Agostini.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 01-20-2011, 9:54 PM

ccwtrainer--

Thank you for the additional info and for doing the legwork to gather the info. Sheriff D'Agostini is living up to his campaign promises.

While it is frustrating at times to take part in the process while it is being developed, we must also realize that the Sheriff has issues to deal with beyond just CCW policy. It will take a while to get the wrinkles ironed out and hopefully those of us on CG can assist in this process.

Thanks again to Sheriff D'Agostini for injecting some pragmatism into this policy, and thank you to ccwtrainer, Gray and others who directly interface with the Sheriff for passing along this information ahead of the grinding wheels of administrative process.
Old 01-21-2011, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwtrainer View Post
... I spoke with Sheriff D'Agostini this afternoon (after seeing that my name, amongst others, is not on the apparent incomplete list of approved instructors posted on the previous page of this thread) ...
So did you get back on the list?

And ditto what you and Sacto929 said about being grateful to him for honoring our rights.
Old 01-21-2011, 6:39 PM

Default The List, The Whole List, & Nothing But The List!!

Quote:
So did you get back on the list?

And ditto what you and Sacto929 said about being grateful to him for honoring our rights.
It turns out, I was never off of the list. The list posted on the previous page is incomplete. The bottom of the second page and the whole third page are missing from the list in that post. I actually have a PDF copy of it that the Sheriff's Department sent me today. I just don't know how to post it in an image format like doubleup16 did, otherwise I'd have it on here.

Here's the PDF with the complete list: El Dorado County Sheriff's Approved Instructors.pdf

Old 01-21-2011, 6:45 PM

Quote:
ccwtrainer--

Thank you for the additional info and for doing the legwork to gather the info. Sheriff D'Agostini is living up to his campaign promises.

While it is frustrating at times to take part in the process while it is being developed, we must also realize that the Sheriff has issues to deal with beyond just CCW policy. It will take a while to get the wrinkles ironed out and hopefully those of us on CG can assist in this process.

Thanks again to Sheriff D'Agostini for injecting some pragmatism into this policy, and thank you to ccwtrainer, Gray and others who directly interface with the Sheriff for passing along this information ahead of the grinding wheels of administrative process.
You are very welcome.

I had fun teaching your class today. Great job qualifying!! You're a very safe and good gun handler! See you out at IDPA.

Old 01-21-2011, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It turns out, I was never off of the list. The list posted on the previous page is incomplete. The bottom of the second page and the whole third page are missing from the list in that post. I actually have a PDF copy of it that the Sheriff's Department sent me today. I just don't know how to post it in an image format like doubleup16 did, otherwise I'd have it on here.

Here's the PDF with the complete list: Attachment 82793
pics

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 01-22-2011, 8:28 AM

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2011, 7:55 AM

Anybody got theirs yet?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Check was cashed. Otherwise, still waiting....
Old 02-02-2011, 5:14 PM

Anybody. Any news?
Old 02-02-2011, 6:10 PM

Nyet....
Old 02-10-2011, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
El Dorado County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here
The DOJ link no longer works...anyone know if there is a link to this form that works and can be completed online and printed? Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 6:38 PM

As we near the end of another week, has anyone received any news regarding their application? Nothing new regarding mine....
Old 02-10-2011, 7:37 PM

Appl. processed 1/19. Nothing yet.

Does anyone know if the EDSO has made a final decision regarding whether or not serial numbers will be put on the license? I believe the prior standard was that SNs were put on the license, but I'm hoping they will drop that.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Serial numbers are required to be on the license. What you mean is "proof of registration" right?
Old 02-11-2011, 6:27 AM

For those of you in the application process, I'm curious how many guns EDSO is currently allowing on the permit. My current permit allows 3, but in private discussions with one of the certified instructors, it was mentioned that the new Sheriff was going to permit 5 as that was the maximum number they could fit on the permit. Anyone know first hand what the SO is currently saying?
Old 02-11-2011, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeSig View Post
For those of you in the application process, I'm curious how many guns EDSO is currently allowing on the permit. My current permit allows 3, but in private discussions with one of the certified instructors, it was mentioned that the new Sheriff was going to permit 5 as that was the maximum number they could fit on the permit. Anyone know first hand what the SO is currently saying?
There wasn't any official word. I put down 5 and there were no questions. If I owned more, I might have put them down to gage the reaction....
Old 02-11-2011, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Serial numbers are required to be on the license. What you mean is "proof of registration" right?
Perhaps it would have been better for me to have asked if EDSO is thinking of changing or has made a change to the requirement of having SNs on the license. I say this because of what happened during my application/interview process.

I have a prior CCW from Oregon. The California DOJ application asks you to cite (provide information about) any prior CCWs, so I did. I also brought the Oregon CCW License with me to the interview and when the EDSO representative examined it she made a comment like "Oh, so they DON'T put SNs on theirs! Hmmm.". This lead me to believe they might have been entertaining the thought of eliminating that requirement.

Hence my question, which as I said I could have worded better.

I know it's a long, long shot, but I figured it was worth the inquiry.
Old 02-11-2011, 1:06 PM

Quote:
There wasn't any official word. I put down 5 and there were no questions. If I owned more, I might have put them down to gage the reaction....
Thanks for the response. I have to re-up in about 3-4 months and I have 9 that I could list. Maybe I'll be the test case if someone doesn't beat me to it. On my NV permit, they allow any gun you qualify with (semi-auto) and any revolver as long as you've qualified with at least one revolver (I borrowed one from the instructor just to have that option if I ever buy a wheel gun).
Old 02-15-2011, 9:46 AM

Default Serial Numbers listed on CA CCW permits - CA PC 12051(a)(1)

Quote:
Perhaps it would have been better for me to have asked if EDSO is thinking of changing or has made a change to the requirement of having SNs on the license. I say this because of what happened during my application/interview process.

I have a prior CCW from Oregon. The California DOJ application asks you to cite (provide information about) any prior CCWs, so I did. I also brought the Oregon CCW License with me to the interview and when the EDSO representative examined it she made a comment like "Oh, so they DON'T put SNs on theirs! Hmmm.". This lead me to believe they might have been entertaining the thought of eliminating that requirement.

Hence my question, which as I said I could have worded better.

I know it's a long, long shot, but I figured it was worth the inquiry.
The make, serial number & caliber of each gun authorized must be listed on every California permit according to CA PC 12051(a)(1).
PC 12051 (a) (1) The standard application form for licenses described
in paragraph (3) shall require information from the applicant
including, but not limited to, the name, occupation, residence and
business address of the applicant, his or her age, height, weight,
color of eyes and hair, and reason for desiring a license to carry
the weapon. Applications for licenses shall be filed in writing, and
signed by the applicant. Any license issued upon the application
shall set forth the licensee's name, occupation, residence and
business address, his or her age, height, weight, color of eyes and
hair, the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and
shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons
authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the
serial number, and the caliber
. The license issued to the licensee
may be laminated.

Old 02-15-2011, 9:58 AM

Default 5 gun limit on EDSO issued CCW permits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeSig View Post
5 guns is the limit on EDSO issued CCW permits. This came straight from Sheriff D'Agostini to me in a face to face conversation.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
The make, serial number & caliber of each gun authorized must be listed on every California permit according to CA PC 12051(a)(1).
PC 12051 (a) (1) The standard application form for licenses described
in paragraph (3) shall require information from the applicant
including, but not limited to, the name, occupation, residence and
business address of the applicant, his or her age, height, weight,
color of eyes and hair, and reason for desiring a license to carry
the weapon. Applications for licenses shall be filed in writing, and
signed by the applicant. Any license issued upon the application
shall set forth the licensee's name, occupation, residence and
business address, his or her age, height, weight, color of eyes and
hair, the reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and
shall, in addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons
authorized to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the
serial number, and the caliber
. The license issued to the licensee
may be laminated.
Stupid of me. I should have realized it isn't at the county's discretion but rather CA State Law.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Right, what they mean is checking the registration status of the serial numbers in the AFS database.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Stupid of me. I should have realized it isn't at the county's discretion but rather CA State Law.
No big deal. It's impossible to read and know every law. That's the great thing about the variety of people and knowledge here on Calguns. We can all learn from one another.

Old 02-17-2011, 2:04 PM

I just got a call to set up an interview and to check my weapon for safety! I turned in my app. on the 20th of last month.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:12 PM

Ditto re: the call. Appl submitted 1/19. interview appt for next Tue.
Old 02-17-2011, 6:00 PM

Cool guys! My initial appointment was on the 18th, but no callback yet....
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM

What is the second interview?? When application was turned in, we went over the "interviewer's questions" at first appointment that are listed on CA DOJ application. SHould the CCW class be taken before the second interview or after that one? Thanks for the input.
Old 02-18-2011, 7:04 PM

Second interview should be a brief Q&A and a likely quick inspection of your firearms. You will do this with a particular Lt. that has taken over the oversight o the CCW process.

The whole process should start moving along a bit quicker in the next 30 days as the new policies and team get things streamlined.
Old 02-18-2011, 7:06 PM

...and I am training folks typically after the first interview. I am doing a class of 8 next week of folks who are in between interviews.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Socom16Fan: You have a PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM

How did the second interviews go? Did you guys walk away with your permits in hand?

When I called about my application process, the nice lady said that they were still waiting to get my background check back from FBI / DOJ, and that they were also checking with my previous county of residence since I have not been in EDCo for 5 years. She indicated that FBI / DOJ is very backlogged due to the increase in applications.

Hopefully, I'll hear good news soon....
Old 02-23-2011, 2:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
How did the second interviews go? Did you guys walk away with your permits in hand?

When I called about my application process, the nice lady said that they were still waiting to get my background check back from FBI / DOJ, and that they were also checking with my previous county of residence since I have not been in EDCo for 5 years. She indicated that FBI / DOJ is very backlogged due to the increase in applications.

Hopefully, I'll hear good news soon....
Interview was easy going / casual. Basic Qs and some chat ... Why do you want to carry a gun? Where have you lived? etc. ... basic sizing you up as a "person", etc. The Deputy that interviewed me was super nice; just a basic guy who obviously likes being a LEO and was a "gun guy". He covered the bases by bringing up major issues like knowing how serious this is, knowing when and when not to use DF, advice about seriously looking into additional "situational awareness & tactical training", etc. We talked for about 20 minutes then he said he was approving my application and would turn it back into the Records Office the following day (i.e. today). Did a cursory inspection of my weapons, and we were done. Next step, they would contact me about the next steps of the process; obtaining a CCW Training Certificate and then scheduling a final appt to pick up the License. He said it is taking them about another 2 weeks to finalize that last part. Not clear on how the timing of the training and the schceduling of the final appt all come together, but I assume I won't have to wait until my training is complete before scheduling that final appt. License will be laminated paper; don't yet have the (I assume) hard-card / mag-card printing equipment up and running just yet. I asked if I would be able to "exchange" my laminated paper license for a hard-card / mag-card once they are available and he said probably yes. Now just waiting again for them to contact me as I was told they would.

Good luck. Let us know if you run into anythiong different than this.

Old 02-23-2011, 7:02 PM

Received my call today...

I'm fully approved and just need to complete my training course. Planned on taking it with Chris (Socom16) but depending on his availability I might have to squeeze into another class.

Great Experience so far with the department, no complaints here.
Old 02-23-2011, 8:17 PM

Default 1st interview

Thanks to all of you that have gone before and got us to this point. I feel like I'm ready because of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I'm scheduled for my 1st interview on Monday (2/28). My paperwork is good to go and I did a Placer/El Dorado/Sacramento approved 16 hour CCW course so I'm not expecting any surprises.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
Thanks to all of you that have gone before and got us to this point. I feel like I'm ready because of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I'm scheduled for my 1st interview on Monday (2/28). My paperwork is good to go and I did a Placer/El Dorado/Sacramento approved 16 hour CCW course so I'm not expecting any surprises.
go go go!