Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-29-2014, 7:32 PM

Default M&P shield 9mm or xds 45 ?

I recently sold one of my ccw pistols and can't decide what to replace it with. I have a p238 and defender 45. Now I just need to add either a shield in 9mm or and xds. Would like to see what you think.
Old 09-30-2014, 4:56 AM

Both are good ie you won't go wrong with either one. Some people don't like the grip safety on the XDs, and the thumb safety was an issue for others on the Shield, but S&W now offers a version without thumb safety. The new Ruger LC9s also looks interesting.
Old 09-30-2014, 5:09 AM

I've owned the Shield and babysat the XDS .45 for a couple weeks.
For my use, I sold the Shield and bought another PM9 which is what I sold to buy the Shield.
The PM9 suits me so well because of its thinner, smaller size.
If I had extra money, I would buy an XDS .45 because it was fun to shoot, really accurate. For me, it was one of those guns that made you laugh because it was so accurate. Recoil was not much more than the 9.
Old 09-30-2014, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri750 View Post
I've owned the Shield and babysat the XDS .45 for a couple weeks.
For my use, I sold the Shield and bought another PM9 which is what I sold to buy the Shield.
The PM9 suits me so well because of its thinner, smaller size.
If I had extra money, I would buy an XDS .45 because it was fun to shoot, really accurate. For me, it was one of those guns that made you laugh because it was so accurate. Recoil was not much more than the 9.
Did the trigger also factor into your decision to go back to the PM9? I ask because I noticed I have to make adjustments in my grip when shooting striker fired single stack small guns as compared to DAO hammer fired ones.

I haven't shot the XDs 45 - how does it compare to a G36?
Old 09-30-2014, 5:53 AM
Banned

I had money on a XDs in 9mm and switched over to a non CA Shield 9mm. Smartest move I made and love the Shield. It fits my hand perfect and the Sticky Holster is awesome.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412085208.443828.jpg
Old 09-30-2014, 6:04 AM

I prefer the XDs because of the grip safety. I had the 45 and traded it for a 9mm. The 45 is very shoot able but I wanted the extra capacity of the 9mm. I kinda want to have both. The shield is a really good gun too, it's cheaper than the xds but I like the grip safety, sights, and reasonable chambered round indicator of the xds.
Old 09-30-2014, 2:07 PM

I went from G30 to a shield 9. Overall im very happy with the shield great gun but I wanted a 45 so I got an XDs.
Old 09-30-2014, 3:59 PM

The trigger on my new production PM9 is much much better than my old 2 tone PM9. By old, it was very early and was included in the recall about the side plate blowing out.
It's still like a double action revolver like the intention was, but so much smoother.
The new one has the feed ramp polished, my old one, I did it.
I wanted the PM9 as the controls matched my Glocks.
The rumor mill is talking again that THIS is the year for the single stack mini-9 like the 42. Now, I don't care. Like any gun, if you practice, you'll be proficient with what ever trigger it has.
For winter time or when I have room, I'll carry my G26, but the PM9 us so small (for me) it's like keys, wallet, phone, PM, pocketknife on my daily walk out the door thing.
I normally use a DiSantis Superfly without the added flap or a 5.11 holster shirt.
Talon grip, pinky extension on the extra mags only. When in the holster, the flat bottom smaller mag is fine. With the double action like trigger, one in the chamber is safe.
Extra mag or two fit anywhere.
I use 147g Hornady XTP or Federal Hydra Shock 147 and it's very pleasant. I think a hit from either one of those is gonna leave a mark.
Old 10-01-2014, 8:17 PM

I've seen a few people switch from the XD to the Shield. Going by holster sales, the Shield is still very popular.

If you go look at the second hand market, it looks like a fair few of people that bought Shields as it was the new "must have" gun are selling for whatever reason... not what they thought or newer shinier thing is out... so it might be worth having a browse around.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 PM

I am a hard core 45 ACP all metal gun fanatic....

I just can't stand the fact that I like a plastic 9mm uber-compact so much....

It is very reliable.. shoots very accurate and conceals nicely...

Many prefer the trigger of the Shield... it doesn't really feel like the typical Striker Fired pistol... more like a single action trigger...and a very easy to feel reset....

I hate plastic 9's.... but I just can't wipe the SEG off my face when I shoot my Shield!!!

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE
Old 10-02-2014, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

At this point I've gone through a Shield in .40, and XDs 9mm and .45, a S&W bodyguard .380, and a S&W 442 and 642 in .38 +P. My favorite as far as shootability was the Shield, but the rear sight is sharp and cut me several times along my hip when wearing it. It was partially due to a bad holster, but it still left a bad impression. I liked the XDs as far as carry-ability but I don't find the grip to be very comfortable for shootability. The Bodyguard .380 was a great carry gun - very small and light weight. But in my opinion, .380 is not ideal for put-down power. I loved my little J-frame revolvers but I didn't like having only 5 shots.

I am now carrying an XD subcompact in 9mm. It's bulky to be certain, but it's small enough to be fairly comfortable carrying and having 14 rounds of 9mm is pretty reassuring.
Old 10-03-2014, 4:14 PM

I would go with the shield. That's what I carry 90% of the time.

My son-in-law has the xd9 that I just made him a kydex holster for. Side by side they are the same print except the xd is almost twice as thick. If you don't have the extended mag in the xd, being so thick, it screams for a place to put your pinky. As such, the extended mag is almost a must, and increases the print when caring. On the other hand the shield is very comfortable to carry. It's also a hell of a shooter.
Old 10-04-2014, 6:42 AM

Between the shield and xds I am leaning toward the shield. The grip feels a little better to me and a lot of you have positive comments about the shield.
Old 10-04-2014, 2:50 PM

I have a Shield 9 and a G17. Much more snap shooting the shorter barrel and smaller frame Shield.
For me, I can't see how shooting a small frame.45 could be fun.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:33 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!
Default M&P shield 9mm or xds 45 ?

" M&P shield 9mm or xds 45 ? "

Yes.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:36 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Attachment 359213

Last edited by General; 08-26-2016 at 5:15 PM..
Old 10-05-2014, 5:02 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't that sort of an apples and oranges comparison? The m&f would be lighter by virtue of the round is weight a key performance parameter? Wouldn't a Shield in .40 S&W be a better comparrison to an XDS .45 in both weight and stopping power?
Old 10-05-2014, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Springfield is offering 3 mags and a mag holder in kid ex free if you buy before October 31. I am primarily an S&W shooter, but if I were on the fence I think the 3 free mags would move me to the XDS