Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-28-2012, 4:48 PM

Default Noob Loading 40 S&W Is this ok. ?

I just want to make sure im getting the correct supplies...
Im going to purchase Berrys bullets, I have everything else

BERRYS .40/10MM (.401) 165 GR FP
CCI #500 SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS
once fired brass. ..
Bullseye powder 4.8 to 5.4 max

I always load way under max being new. I Would do 4.8 to 5 on these

Shooting out of a M & P 40..

Im new to reloading and just want to make sure im ok.. I have only reloaded my 9mm so for 1000 rnds all good so far.

Thanks in advance for the help..
Old 11-28-2012, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks good.

Don't make a ton up in the lighter loadings before you have a chance to test them as at some point your gun may fail to cycle.
Old 11-28-2012, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Looks good.

Don't make a ton up in the lighter loadings before you have a chance to test them as at some point your gun may fail to cycle.
Ill only do like 50-100 and hit the range and see how they do..

Thanks for the help..
Old 11-28-2012, 6:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

In my experience, the Mid-range loads are the most accurate, & you don't have to beat up your gun or your hand.

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 11-28-2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
In my experience, the Mid-range loads are the most accurate, & you don't have to beat up your gun or your hand.
Thank you thats kinda my plan... just ordered my bullets..
Powdervalley just got a big lod of bullets in I have been waiting for them for a few weeks now..cant wait to get started .. Soon im going to move on to rifle loads... More questions to come about them ..LOL
Old 11-28-2012, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Thank you thats kinda my plan... just ordered my bullets..
Powdervalley just got a big lod of bullets in I have been waiting for them for a few weeks now..cant wait to get started .. Soon im going to move on to rifle loads... More questions to come about them ..LOL
Just started loading 40 myself....

I started off with 165's over 5 grains of unique and they were quit snapppy...

I went up to 180's withthe same amount of powder and i feel thats the perfect loadfor me... Very nice recoil! And there ad accurate as i Am soo...

Play around a bit... You might find so dthing more you like
Old 11-28-2012, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Your biggest challenge might be in getting the right OAL. The first bullets I ever bought for my M&P40 FS were factory reloads which were 1.135". They fed fine and I've loaded all my bullets to that length since then and they all fed fine. Not sure if it was the gun or that the first autoloader I loaded for (1911) was fickle, but that gun was very sensitive to OAL on anything other than RN bullets.

If your gun likes a particular type of ammo, measure it and start your reloads at that length. 4.8-5.0g Bullseye is fairly conservative so you have a bit of margin in seating depth.

Even with your light loads, you'll see that your 40 is a bit jumpier than the 9mm. With faster powders like Red Dot or Clays, you can download the 40 until it feels like a 9.
Old 11-28-2012, 7:04 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
^^^ This. With plated bullets I've found they start to spread out well before reaching max load.

If you're anywhere near minimum ya might not want to load up a whole bunch. Be a shame to have to pull down 50-100 rounds because they won't cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 11-28-2012, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Ill only do like 50-100 and hit the range and see how they do..

Thanks for the help..
I am using same bullet and powder and found 5.2 grains to be my sweet spot. Might only want to load a few at the lighter load incase they don't cycle.
Old 11-28-2012, 7:10 PM

Order your bullets straight from Berry's. If you spend $50, shipping is included in the price.
Old 11-28-2012, 7:18 PM

I do the same I start at a mid-load, then work up if I feel I can get better accuracy. With my test loads I just load about 20 of each load. 10 for slow fire, and the next 10 for rapid fire.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterbill View Post
Order your bullets straight from Berry's. If you spend $50, shipping is included in the price.
Cheaper at powdervalley, 99.00 and 134 at berrys ..

Thanks for all the great info everyone..
Old 11-28-2012, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

If you like Berry's you might want to give Xtreme a try. They are out of the Reno area, make great plated and lead boolits and cost less to boot.

Your reloading plan sounds good too. Start low work your way up, you will end up low the more you shoot! Mid power shoot better, easier on the gun and hands and your powder goes farther.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
If you like Berry's you might want to give Xtreme a try. They are out of the Reno area, make great plated and lead boolits and cost less to boot.

Your reloading plan sounds good too. Start low work your way up, you will end up low the more you shoot! Mid power shoot better, easier on the gun and hands and your powder goes farther.
+1 to xtreme .. i like using their bullets.. had no problems with them so far.. just picked up 1k of .45 230 gr RN plated for 116. if your going to get .40 its probably a little cheaper.
Old 12-06-2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post

I bought a box of 500 165gr Xtreme 40 cal. RNFP at Discount Shooters Supply in Roseville for $49.99. With W231 the start is around 4.8 and the max according to my Lee Data Manual is 5.3. I ran some load test down to 4.2, and some of my best grouping at 4.6 and 4.8. And no problems cycling my S&W 4006 even at 4.2. The thinner coating on the plated bullets lowers your mid range, IMO.