Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-24-2014, 7:09 AM
Fleeing with Tail Between Legs

Default New Ruger Gunsite Scout (Optics ???)

Picking up a Ruger GSR in a week and was wondering how you guys have been setting this rifle up. I'm really at a split in the road between a fixed power holo sight, and a scout scope. I really like the cost of quality optics like the Vortex Strikefire and Lucid HD7 red dots, but this is a .308 and I'm not entirely sure that that optic will fit the bill. I really like the Burris 5x optic but don't like the bulk nor price. Figure if I'm spending close to $500 I mine as well go with the Leupold VXR scout scope. What are you guys running, and how is it working for you?
Old 01-24-2014, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

There are many options and lots of threads pop up about Ruger Scout optics choices if you Google it.

The HD7 sits a bit high for the stock comb height since its made to go on an AR.

I went with a Burris 2-7x32.
Old 01-24-2014, 7:26 AM

I never use Google as a first resort. I mean i'm seen some very very stupid setups going through Google. Youtube is always my first stop, then Calguns. Everyone on youtube seems to be mounting traditional scopes and I have yet to see a vid with a single red dot. With the 2-7x maxed out, what is your sight picture past 150-200 yds. Would you be able to see the center of an 8 in target?
Old 01-24-2014, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence83 View Post
I never use Google as a first resort. I mean i'm seen some very very stupid setups going through Google. Youtube is always my first stop, then Calguns. Everyone on youtube seems to be mounting traditional scopes and I have yet to see a vid with a single red dot. With the 2-7x maxed out, what is your sight picture past 150-200 yds. Would you be able to see the center of an 8 in target?
OMG totes apropos! Google is teh sux, youtube (owned and operated by google) FTW! You will be disappoint with search

TL;DR
This with a QD base, practice with both irons and scope.
Old 01-24-2014, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
OMG totes apropos! Google is teh sux, youtube (owned and operated by google) FTW! You will be disappoint with search

TL;DR
And....

Theres a huge difference between Google searching something and going to an experienced shooters channel on youtube. I could care less who owns who, one is far better than the other for research purposes. Thanks for an off topic answer. So back to the original question, what are you guys running on your GSR and how is it working for you? (and this is why cal guns is always my second stop... sigh)

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 01-24-2014 at 7:53 AM..
Old 01-24-2014, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
TL;DR
If I had a scout rifle.

What did the experienced shooters on youtube say? I need validation of my thoughts.
Old 01-24-2014, 8:14 AM

Lucid is great but much more of a eye to scope design.. Aimpoint PRO might be a better choice.
Old 01-24-2014, 8:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Do you just not like to read?

I can definitely see a 1" orange center on a 8" shoot n' see at 200. Not sure what you mean by what is your sight picture. It's a BDC reticule, btw.
Old 01-24-2014, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

TL;DR
Wonder if the OP would bother to click your search link.

YouTube is a pretty sorry place to get info. There are a few good channels, but many end up being short on good specifics to keep th things at a decent length. It's like basing a car choice on Motor Trend segments .
Old 01-24-2014, 10:06 AM

This one from Nikon seems pretty legit and is a fraction of the price of other 2-8 x 28mm variable scout scopes that I've seen ($1500 average).

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Force-2-...pr_product_top
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This one from Nikon seems pretty legit and is a fraction of the price of other 2-8 x 28mm variable scout scopes that I've seen ($1500 average).

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Force-2-...pr_product_top
FOV is a bit narrow on that one, but it'll probably work fine.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't like scout scopes, so I installed the XS full length rail and for now am using a Primary Arms 1-4 on medium rings to clear the rear sight, mounted in the traditional position. It's good enough out to 200 and I rarely if ever shoot past that; dialed down to a true 1 power, it's as good as a red dot at ranges out to 100 yards. If I were, I'd go with any quality scope (I like Nikons in particular) in the 2-8 or 3-9 range.
Old 01-24-2014, 4:23 PM

I'm running a Burris 2.75X Scout with Leupold QRW low rings. It's PERFECT for the Ruger GSR.

I own or have owned: Aimpoint Micro H1, Trijicon ACOG TA33, Bushnell Elite 6-24X, Vortex PST 1-4X, Vortex PST 2.5-10x32, and other traditional hunting scopes.

I think the Burris 2.75X Scout is the cat's meow for the Ruger GSR. It's perfect for 15 yards to 300 yards. It works wonderfully with both eyes open without sacrificing peripheral vision. I wouldn't want anything else on this rifle but a low magnification scout scope. Don't discredit the Colonel. He's taken more game on more continents than you or I ever will.

I wouldn't waste my money on a POS Lucid HD7 or some other garbage economy brand red dot. If you want a fighting red dot or one that you can count on in the field, get an Aimpoint Pro (remove the spacer on the mount) or better yet, a Micro H1 with low mount. Personally, I like having the little extra (~2.5X) magnification to see my targets better on a .308.

I think 4X or more is idiotic on a 200-300 yard rifle unless it's a varmint rig. Most deer are taken under 100 yards; ask 10 deer hunters about their last deer. Shooting big game at long range (400+) is a very specialized sport for very specialized shooters.
Old 01-24-2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
FOV is a bit narrow on that one, but it'll probably work fine.
Always an argument waiting on cal guns. Im gonna give $1000 to the NRA the next time i post something and a jackass doesn't leave a stupid comment. Of course I like to read. And i read a lot before coming here. Im reading a 1,400 page case study in prep for my dissertation as I type this. I like talking to people who do it, not reading about it from editors, wannabe seals, and the likes. That's why I prefer youtube. I can see it. People can fabricate anything and make **** up on a column or article. On youtube, in real time, you can't do that. Its nice being able to see how something sits on a gun, and even nicer to see people managing their guns while shooting. Working a bolt and noticing that unlike my CZ bolt guns which cycle effortlessly regardless of technique, i now understand I won't do that with the Ruger. It has a more traditional bolt throw and I wouldn't have known that looking at a picture or reading a guns and ammo article. Seeing how the ruger designed mag can be loaded from the top or by stripper clip and then ordering 2 because of it. All things an article will never show you. Yeah theres a lot of crap on youtube and most the time, i mute the videos I watch. But there is a lot of great information too. Please comment on this again, I'm gonna have a field day with you.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 01-24-2014 at 10:08 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
I'm running a Burris 2.75X Scout with Leupold QRW low rings. It's PERFECT for the Ruger GSR.

I own or have owned: Aimpoint Micro H1, Trijicon ACOG TA33, Bushnell Elite 6-24X, Vortex PST 1-4X, Vortex PST 2.5-10x32, and other traditional hunting scopes.

I think the Burris 2.75X Scout is the cat's meow for the Ruger GSR. It's perfect for 15 yards to 300 yards. It works wonderfully with both eyes open without sacrificing peripheral vision. I wouldn't want anything else on this rifle but a low magnification scout scope. Don't discredit the Colonel. He's taken more game on more continents than you or I ever will.

I wouldn't waste my money on a POS Lucid HD7 or some other garbage economy brand red dot. If you want a fighting red dot or one that you can count on in the field, get an Aimpoint Pro (remove the spacer on the mount) or better yet, a Micro H1 with low mount. Personally, I like having the little extra (~2.5X) magnification to see my targets better on a .308.

I think 4X or more is idiotic on a 200-300 yard rifle unless it's a varmint rig. Most deer are taken under 100 yards; ask 10 deer hunters about their last deer. Shooting big game at long range (400+) is a very specialized sport for very specialized shooters.
That Burris is really nice. I saw a Vortex that seemed perfect but it was over a grand. It was a variable power scout scope. I like Vortex a lot ever since mounting the Strikefire on a Sig 516 that I sold when demand was crazy. Since then I have gone to the Lucid HD7, but this is all on AR platforms. Until I get my hands on this Ruger Scout, Im not sure what optic I will go with. I was really turned off to the low magnification scout scopes but with the ability to shoot two eyes open and see something CLEARLY past 200 yes I may give them a serious look. Lately my father and I have been shooting ALOT of iron sights. Hitting plates out to 2 or even 300 yards has become second nature there at the San Luis Obispo Sportsmans Association. This scout rifle and possible scout scope are going to be completely new territory though. I mean I shoot my father's Socom 16, but that doesn't handle anywhere as nice as the Ruger and he refuses to use anything but an Eotech for his aging eyes. The more I read, the more confidence I'm gaining in the scout scope. I mean its what the rifle was designed around so I guess going with anything else would defeat the whole purpose of the scout concept.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Stuck with the scout concept.
Leupold custom shop VX-II 1.5-4x28 IER Scout and Warne QD rings to quickly go back to irons.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM

I would like to find a rear sight that I can mount to the rail in front of a traditionally mounted optic.
The problem is I can not find one that is the correct height for the factory front sight.
Old 01-25-2014, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Always an argument waiting on cal guns. Im gonna give $1000 to the NRA the next time i post something and a jackass doesn't leave a stupid comment. Of course I like to read. And i read a lot before coming here. Im reading a 1,400 page case study in prep for my dissertation as I type this. I like talking to people who do it, not reading about it from editors, wannabe seals, and the likes. That's why I prefer youtube. I can see it. People can fabricate anything and make **** up on a column or article. On youtube, in real time, you can't do that. Its nice being able to see how something sits on a gun, and even nicer to see people managing their guns while shooting. Working a bolt and noticing that unlike my CZ bolt guns which cycle effortlessly regardless of technique, i now understand I won't do that with the Ruger. It has a more traditional bolt throw and I wouldn't have known that looking at a picture or reading a guns and ammo article. Seeing how the ruger designed mag can be loaded from the top or by stripper clip and then ordering 2 because of it. All things an article will never show you. Yeah theres a lot of crap on youtube and most the time, i mute the videos I watch. But there is a lot of great information too. Please comment on this again, I'm gonna have a field day with you.
We got a badass here, huh. If what I posted here bunches your panties, you may never get them undone during your time on CalGuns.

Nothing has surfaced in this thread that you couldn't have read in a previous thread in Calguns first. Google search would have shown you that. A little reading and you wouldn't have asked about putting an HD7 on a scout rifle.

Just because a guy shows you that he can splay the polymer mag lips enough to shove rounds in via stripper clips on the new GSR doesn't mean it's a good idea. STANAG and AK mags hold rounds very differently. They do not rely on feed lip tension to retain rounds like the GSR's do.

I'm not saying Youtube isn't a good source of info, it's just a supplement. Most of the guys on Youtube couldn't write a decent article to save their lives. Check out the gunsumerreports.com review on the GSR and the scout scope article they have on there. Very good info. You'll have to read, but there are some pictures on there, so you'll be fine.

Last edited by Dannicus; 01-25-2014 at 8:50 AM..
Old 01-25-2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Stuck with the scout concept.
Leupold custom shop VX-II 1.5-4x28 IER Scout and Warne QD rings to quickly go back to irons.

Absolutley beautiful and I have placed an order for that Leupold. I was considering a red dot, but 4x is perfect for around 200 yds. I don't really plan on making any shots past that, and will probably never attempt anything but a steel plate or paper target at 200. Thanks for posting that setup, I almost went with a low end optic. Your rifle is only as good as your sights, so I figure its a good investment. Are your QD rings low or medium? Pretty sure they are medium, but if the Warne QD lows leave enough room for the glass then that would be a sweet setup.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 01-25-2014 at 7:54 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
We got a badass here, huh. If what I posted here bunches your panties, you may never get them undone during your time on CalGuns.

Nothing has surfaced in this thread that you couldn't have read in a previous thread in Calguns first. Google search would have shown you that. A little reading and you wouldn't have asked about putting an HD7 on a scout rifle.

Just because a guy shows you that he can splay the polymer mag lips enough to shove rounds in via stripper clips on the new GSR doesn't mean it's a good idea. STANAG and AK mags hold rounds very differently. They do not rely on feed lip tension to retain rounds like the GSR's do.

I'm not saying Youtube isn't a good source of info, it's just a supplement. Most of the guys on Youtube couldn't write a decent article to save their lives. Check out the gunsumerreports.com review on the GSR and the scout scope article they have on there. Very good info. You'll have to read, but there are some pictures on there, so you'll be fine.
I can do this all day son. There isn't a single post on here that hasn't been covered at one point or another on the internet. Big ****ing deal. Are you going to follow up on every singe user, and tell them they should have used search or tried harder before reaching out. Go ahead, and have fun wasting the rest of your life doing it. If you don't have a positive contribution to a topic, keep your mouth shut. You give this website and forum a bad name. Calguns is ridiculed because of people exactly like you. Would you like me to follow up on every single stupid post or question you have asked and tell you "hey , dumbass, you could have found that out by searching Google or delving into the deep dark depths of Calguns". No I didn't, because I have a life and much better things to be doing. People may post something years back, learn something new about what they thought was correct, and change their opinion. That's why I never use Calguns search, and moderators can hate me for it. I don't care.

P.S. The HD7 works as an optic on the GSR, its just not the best of options. If I had the choice between no sight and a HD7, I'm pretty sure I could put a bullet where I wanted with the HD7 mounted on it. Now justify your stupidity by replying to this again.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 01-25-2014 at 7:35 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Absolutley beautiful and I have placed an order for that Leupold. I was considering a red dot, but 4x is perfect for around 200 yds. I don't really plan on making any shots past that, and will probably never attempt anything but a steel plate or paper target at 200. Thanks for posting that setup, I almost went with a low end optic. Your rifle is only as good as your sights, so I figure its a good investment. Are your QD rings low or medium? Not that I will be getting the same exact rings, but I was more interested in how the scope lines up with your eyes. I was going to buy a set of low rings, but your pic looks like they may be medium.

They are low actually. I've been hitting steel at 300 recently and it's good to be able to dial the magnification back to 1.5 for both eyes open.
Everything can be taken off quickly and pop in a 3rd polymer mag for a minimal configuration.

I've had no issues at all returning to zero with these mounts...
http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...581-35584.aspx

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-25-2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
They are low actually. I've been hitting steel at 300 recently and it's good to be able to dial the magnification back to 1.5 for both eyes open.
Everything can be taken off quickly and pop in a 3rd polymer mag for a minimal configuration.

I've had no issues at all returning to zero with these mounts...
http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...581-35584.aspx
Thats icing on the cake. I can't get any of my scopes to fit any of my rifles with low rings. The lower the better for me, especially for both eyes open shooting. Nothing worst than swinging up a rifle for a shot and having to move your chin up slightly for the best presentation. Thank you for sharing your info, you have one of the smarter set up GSRs that I have yet to see.
Old 01-25-2014, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can do this all day son. There isn't a single post on here that hasn't been covered at one point or another on the internet. Big ****ing deal. Are you going to follow up on every singe user, and tell them they should have used search or tried harder before reaching out. Go ahead, and have fun wasting the rest of your life doing it. If you don't have a positive contribution to a topic, keep your mouth shut. You give this website and forum a bad name. Calguns is ridiculed because of people exactly like you. Would you like me to follow up on every single stupid post or question you have asked and tell you "hey , dumbass, you could have found that out by searching Google or delving into the deep dark depths of Calguns". No I didn't, because I have a life and much better things to be doing. People may post something years back, learn something new about what they thought was correct, and change their opinion. That's why I never use Calguns search, and moderators can hate me for it. I don't care.

P.S. The HD7 works as an optic on the GSR, its just not the best of options. If I had the choice between no sight and a HD7, I'm pretty sure I could put a bullet where I wanted with the HD7 mounted on it. Now justify your stupidity by replying to this again.
That's nice, kid. Glad you figured out that the HD7 wouldn't make a good optic for the GSR since your OP. Quick learner.

You're sounding like a bitter, touchy person typing these tirades out. You're "junior", so no biggie. Chill and enjoy your rifle.

Btw, I did contribute in my first post by telling you which optic I went with and I'll add to my answer to your OP.

My Burris 2.5-7 is working great for me. Fits me perfect with Burris medium rings. The BDC reticle is spot on for the Federal power-shok ammo that I zeroed it for. 10/10 on the 200yd gong off hand today.

Last edited by Dannicus; 01-26-2014 at 8:06 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
That's nice, kid. Glad you figured out that the HD7 wouldn't make a good optic for the GSR since your OP. Quick learner.

You're sounding like a bitter, touchy person typing these tirades out. You're "junior", so no biggie. Chill and enjoy your rifle.

Btw, I did contribute in my first post by telling you which optic I went with and I'll add to my answer to your OP.

My Burris 2.5-7 is working great for me. Fits me perfect with Burris medium rings. The BDC reticle is spot on for the Federal power-shok ammo that I zeroed it for. 10/10 on the 200yd gong off hand today.
What the hell does being a junior have anything to do with this. When and if you ever travel outside of this forum and experience real life, you may understand just how stupid that sounds. I have served a very fulfilling enlistment along with my USAF SOF brothers. I have travelled to some of the most beautiful reaches of this Earth thanks to the opportunities that were presented to me during that 6 years. That's the only elite I care about. I could give a **** less about being a junior member or "senior" elitist like yourself. You act like Calguns is the most heralded forum the internet has ever seen. Its a generalized internet forum. I think your just pissed of that someone called you out on your bull****. So go find your elite member friends and try to have me removed if I bother you so much. Otherwise shut up and deal with it. When you say a smartass comment, you get one in return. Thats how this world operates. And i enjoy my life every day, its pretty nice not having to work and being able to shoot guns, go on vacations with my family, and live the good life here on the central coast. I'll take your advice sir and live it up. I suggest you do the same instead of lashing out on people that put the spotlight on you. And who the hell uses smilies as a response.

You don't have to brag to me about how well you shoot your gun either. My grandmother could hit a 200 yd gong with iron sights, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. She literally can shoot a 200 yd gong with her marlin 30-30. I can too, and so can everyone who has ever aimed at a GONG at 200 yds. I could hit a 200 yd gong with my glock 20 off hand if I concentrated enough. Who the hell do you think you are, because you aren't the Cal Guns superhero you think you are. When your shooting MOA at 200yds then talk to me.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 01-31-2014 at 2:11 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Absolutley beautiful and I have placed an order for that Leupold. I was considering a red dot, but 4x is perfect for around 200 yds. I don't really plan on making any shots past that, and will probably never attempt anything but a steel plate or paper target at 200. Thanks for posting that setup, I almost went with a low end optic. Your rifle is only as good as your sights, so I figure its a good investment. Are your QD rings low or medium? Pretty sure they are medium, but if the Warne QD lows leave enough room for the glass then that would be a sweet setup.
I ended up canceling the order for the $500 Leupold. I gave in to my friends advice at the range the other day. We are both fans of the budget/quality scope market. Hence why I always mention Lucid and Vortex with high praise. I ended up going with a Leatherwood 2-7x32 scout scope. If this $130 scope doesn't fit the bill, then I will reconsider Burris or Leupold. I don't see the cost to benefit as equal though and being able to pick up almost 600 rounds of .308 with the savings was pretty nice. QD rings are staying though, can't beat the ability to go to irons in a split second.
Old 01-31-2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:

I will share this eye opening story to you. I was a FCC (Flying Crew Chief) attached to a Air Force SOF unit. I escorted thousands of badass mother****ers that looked like they were straight out of duck dynasty for almost 6 years. On one particular flight I noticed about 6 fit dudes with beards in their "warrior casual" attire. Following them was a SOF General and 2 Afghani representatives looking really fancy. Flying with a General usually involves some very highly trained support personnel, hence the 6 guys in their late 30s that looked like they could eat satan and **** him out for breakfast. These guys have unlimited budgets when it comes to equipment choices and the gear they use for whatever missions they are accomplishing. All SOF forces tap into an unlimited DOD budget while deployed, and some units tap that budget 24/7. Its like the black card of the military.

I had seen many many Rangers, Seals, and Force Recon, and Pararescuemen while serving as a FCC with the 1st SOMOX out of Hurlburt Field FL. I had seen countless trijicons, aim points, and eotechs used by these forces while accompanying them all over the damn world. The contractors that were with the General and the Afghani politicians had a very unique setup that I had not seen on many ARs. Some of them had SBRs and some had more traditional ARs. None of them had Aimpoints or Eotechs on them. These guys got to choose what they wanted to run on their guns, and weren't force fed their equipment like so many other SOF forces are. I asked the contractor closest to me why he lacked American optics on his badass AR. I mean, he had a designator on his rail, so that alone runs about 5 figures. But no Aimpoint and no Eotech and no Trijicon on any one of these contractors rifles. He replied that he could not support China and basically said that nothing is made in this country anymore. Now if you believe that L3 Communications and Aimpoint are 100% engineered, designed, developed, and produced using American machinery and parts you are mistaken. L3 is a mirror image of Halliburton, except they deal mainly with aircraft avionics and optics, the Eotech that made them famous to the civilian world. Bottom line is you are not getting $500 worth of optic from any American company anymore. The Lucids and Vortex and Nikon and Bushnell are the same exact quality, and in some cases better. Yes, my Bushnell Elite outperforms my Zeiss Conquest. Yes my Lucid outperformed my Eotech 10 fold. No other optic on this planet allows you to switch between four very useful reticles without effecting zero. If the technology in the Lucid was incorporated into an Eotech, they would charge $1000 for it. And idiots would pay it thinking that they are getting military grade. Hate to burst your bubble, but what the military gets is the cheapest the govt can provide. I call it cheap grade. China has surpassed America in quality control and engineering. They own us financially, and we are in trillions of dollars of debt because of money that originated from China. Hell, they own enough stock in the American dollar to literally cripple our economy if we don't play their games. Let that settle in the next time you mention Aimpoint Micro and talk down on "budget" optics. Everything is budget optics now, some just carry a much higher pice tag.
Old 01-31-2014, 5:05 AM
Veteran Member

Instead of arguing - There is a place where people love the scout rifle and understand/know about their optics. To wit - they are the go-to people for all things having to do with the Cooper Scout Concept. http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 01-31-2014, 6:22 AM
Release the Cabinets!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I will share this eye opening story to you. I was a FCC (Flying Crew Chief) attached to a Air Force SOF unit. I escorted thousands of badass mother****ers that looked like they were straight out of duck dynasty for almost 6 years. On one particular flight I noticed about 6 fit dudes with beards in their "warrior casual" attire. Following them was a SOF General and 2 Afghani representatives looking really fancy. Flying with a General usually involves some very highly trained support personnel, hence the 6 guys in their late 30s that looked like they could eat satan and **** him out for breakfast. These guys have unlimited budgets when it comes to equipment choices and the gear they use for whatever missions they are accomplishing. All SOF forces tap into an unlimited DOD budget while deployed, and some units tap that budget 24/7. Its like the black card of the military.

I had seen many many Rangers, Seals, and Force Recon, and Pararescuemen while serving as a FCC with the 1st SOMOX out of Hurlburt Field FL. I had seen countless trijicons, aim points, and eotechs used by these forces while accompanying them all over the damn world. The contractors that were with the General and the Afghani politicians had a very unique setup that I had not seen on many ARs. Some of them had SBRs and some had more traditional ARs. None of them had Aimpoints or Eotechs on them. These guys got to choose what they wanted to run on their guns, and weren't force fed their equipment like so many other SOF forces are. I asked the contractor closest to me why he lacked American optics on his badass AR. I mean, he had a designator on his rail, so that alone runs about 5 figures. But no Aimpoint and no Eotech and no Trijicon on any one of these contractors rifles. He replied that he could not support China and basically said that nothing is made in this country anymore. Now if you believe that L3 Communications and Aimpoint are 100% engineered, designed, developed, and produced using American machinery and parts you are mistaken. L3 is a mirror image of Halliburton, except they deal mainly with aircraft avionics and optics, the Eotech that made them famous to the civilian world. Bottom line is you are not getting $500 worth of optic from any American company anymore. The Lucids and Vortex and Nikon and Bushnell are the same exact quality, and in some cases better. Yes, my Bushnell Elite outperforms my Zeiss Conquest. Yes my Lucid outperformed my Eotech 10 fold. No other optic on this planet allows you to switch between four very useful reticles without effecting zero. If the technology in the Lucid was incorporated into an Eotech, they would charge $1000 for it. And idiots would pay it thinking that they are getting military grade. Hate to burst your bubble, but what the military gets is the cheapest the govt can provide. I call it cheap grade. China has surpassed America in quality control and engineering. They own us financially, and we are in trillions of dollars of debt because of money that originated from China. Hell, they own enough stock in the American dollar to literally cripple our economy if we don't play their games. Let that settle in the next time you mention Aimpoint Micro and talk down on "budget" optics. Everything is budget optics now, some just carry a much higher pice tag.
I think I played that same level on COD with you
Old 01-31-2014, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What the hell...
Lol, USAF. Explains a lot.

The fact that you feel the need to qualify yourself here with bullet points of your life reeks of insecurity.

I wouldn't be surprised If I could shoot a 1 MOA group at 200 with my current setup. Under 1" at 100 hasn't been tough, so if it's nice and calm out, 2" @ 200 might not be out of reach. I'm very pleased with the precision of the GSR. I was expecting it to shoot >1.5MOA with factory ammo like it did in many of the review articles.

Btw, I'm amazed by your grandma's ability to shoot under 5 MOA with irons while standing unsupported. That's tough for me with my eyes.

Quote:
I ended up canceling the order for the $500 Leupold. I gave in to my friends advice at the range the other day. We are both fans of the budget/quality scope market. Hence why I always mention Lucid and Vortex with high praise. I ended up going with a Leatherwood 2-7x32 scout scope. If this $130 scope doesn't fit the bill, then I will reconsider Burris or Leupold. I don't see the cost to benefit as equal though and being able to pick up almost 600 rounds of .308 with the savings was pretty nice. QD rings are staying though, can't beat the ability to go to irons in a split second.
Oh, but that Leupold is so nice! I almost went with that one, too, but I couldn't be happier with the Burris. Especially happy with the brightness. You can see surprisingly well in twilight with it.

Lets hope that going cheap isn't going to fulfill the saying, "you get what you pay for." I had looked at the Leatherwood, and spec-wise, it's very similar to the Burris. The low price and the fact that it's made by Hi-Lux turned me off to it. If it turns out to be a lemon, falling back on iron sights for those 600 rounds wouldn't be too much of a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
Instead of arguing - There is a place where people love the scout rifle and understand/know about their optics. To wit - they are the go-to people for all things having to do with the Cooper Scout Concept. http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php
Yup. Lots of good info there. Can you believe I found that site using Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
I think I played that same level on COD with you
Ha, I didn't know you could play as aircrew NCOs.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Default New Ruger Gunsite Scout (Optics ???)

haven't scoped my scout yet, but i was leaning toward the weaver, based mostly on positive reviews i've read like this one -- crappy eyes like mine can use the extra magnification. thanks, CessnaDriver, for a the link to the QD rings.

most of the rest of this thread should be nuked. from space. it's the only way to be sure.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 01-31-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
haven't scoped my scout yet, but i was leaning toward the weaver, based mostly on positive reviews i've read like this one -- crappy eyes like mine can use the extra magnification. thanks, CessnaDriver, for a the link to the QD rings.

most of the rest of this thread should be nuked. from space. it's the only way to be sure.
+1 for the thanks to CessnaDriver for the link on the Warne rings. I just picked up a pair. Good quality and design. Pretty inexpensive, too.
Old 01-31-2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:

Man, you wrote a lot, said so little, but revealed so much.

Aimpoint is a Swedish company.

You should move to China and enjoy their "quality control and engineering".
Old 01-31-2014, 2:06 PM
Release the Cabinets!

Quote:
Man, you wrote a lot, said so little, but revealed so much.

Aimpoint is a Swedish company.

You should move to China and enjoy their "quality control and engineering".
Please keep facts out of this conversation, thank you.
Old 01-31-2014, 6:13 PM

Gecko? That you man?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
What the hell does being a junior have anything to do with this. When and if you ever travel outside of this forum and experience real life, you may understand just how stupid that sounds. I have served a very fulfilling enlistment along with my USAF SOF brothers. I have travelled to some of the most beautiful reaches of this Earth thanks to the opportunities that were presented to me during that 6 years. That's the only elite I care about. I could give a **** less about being a junior member or "senior" elitist like yourself. You act like Calguns is the most heralded forum the internet has ever seen. Its a generalized internet forum. I think your just pissed of that someone called you out on your bull****. So go find your elite member friends and try to have me removed if I bother you so much. Otherwise shut up and deal with it. When you say a smartass comment, you get one in return. Thats how this world operates. And i enjoy my life every day, its pretty nice not having to work and being able to shoot guns, go on vacations with my family, and live the good life here on the central coast. I'll take your advice sir and live it up. I suggest you do the same instead of lashing out on people that put the spotlight on you. And who the hell uses smilies as a response.

You don't have to brag to me about how well you shoot your gun either. My grandmother could hit a 200 yd gong with iron sights, so I'm not sure where you are going with that. She literally can shoot a 200 yd gong with her marlin 30-30. I can too, and so can everyone who has ever aimed at a GONG at 200 yds. I could hit a 200 yd gong with my glock 20 off hand if I concentrated enough. Who the hell do you think you are, because you aren't the Cal Guns superhero you think you are. When your shooting MOA at 200yds then talk to me.
Quote:

Why does a guy with so much experience and expertise even bother with a Ruger and shoot 200 yard gongs with .308 Winchester.
Old 02-04-2014, 6:02 PM
Banned

I've had my RGS for about three months now. Around Christmas Turner's was having a sale on Leupold FX II scopes so I picked one up, along with Leupold low rings. I never use the scope though as my home range (Lake Arrowhead) only goes out to 200 yards.

I sold the stock AI mag. It sucks in every way. The Ruger poly mag is much better but I haven't used it since I ordered the Alpha mags.

The comp is Black River Tact.

Last edited by beardog308; 06-21-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 6:48 PM

This is awesome. MORE WAR STORIES, PLEASE!!!
Fallujah had become a magnet for foreign jihadists and there were several thousand in the city who had come to make martyrs of themselves, to die while killing as many Americans as possible.” James C. Roberts, "Remember the Heroes of Fallujah"

At each house I said a prayer, 'Please God get me out of this one.' When I come out of the house, I thank Him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next one.” USMC Pvt. Sean Stokes, Fallujah, Iraq November, 2004.
Old 02-09-2014, 2:16 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I don't like scout scopes, so I installed the XS full length rail and for now am using a Primary Arms 1-4 on medium rings to clear the rear sight, mounted in the traditional position. It's good enough out to 200 and I rarely if ever shoot past that; dialed down to a true 1 power, it's as good as a red dot at ranges out to 100 yards. If I were, I'd go with any quality scope (I like Nikons in particular) in the 2-8 or 3-9 range.
I installed the great XS rail and a Trijicon 1-4X Accupoint.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Just mounted a Burris 2-7x32 with Leopold low rings on an XS Lever Scout Mount, it came with the Marlin 1895 SBL, the scope sits about 1/16 of an inch above the mount, keeping in mind the rail runs almost the entire length of the scope sans the rear ghost ring sight and mount. Eye relief is a perfect fit for me whether I'm at x2 or x7. Now I know you have a Ruger GSR but in regards to a good scope with the right amount of eye relief for your setup, I'm recommending the Burris 2-7x32 Scout Scope. The last sale price at Turners was $359.00 which they will give you if you ask nicely.

Hope this helps.

As for the previous comments, "save the drama for your mama".

Last edited by subrvin; 02-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: added price of scope
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 AM

I have a strikefire on mine... until I can get a proper scout scope for it.

Anyone have a Leatherwood?? I like it because it has a BDC.
http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/rifl...-series-scope/