Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 7:15 PM

Default How common is OC in NV & UT?

Going in a road trip through NV and Utah mostly along the 15 and the 70. I donít have a CCW, so rather than leave my revolved locked in the car would it be advisable to OC? I know the rules, but donít want to draw attention. Mostly just stopping for food and gas along the way.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:55 PM
Veteran Member

We hunt Idaho so we pass through NV, UT, then into ID. We also gas/ice up in WY. So far I have seen a couple oc'ers in ID, and a few in WY. None in NV or UT but we are only stopping for quick fuel ups.

I say get your UT and/or AZ non res ccw and don't worry about oc'ing or locking it up in your car.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 AM

When are you leaving? If it more than a month an a half away, get your Utah CCW. If it is within a month and a half, but more than 3 weeks or so, get a New Hampshire CCW and carry legally in Utah. Remember in Utah to OC (without a CCW), your gun needs to be 2 actions away from firing, such as no round in the chamber.

Obviously, I am not an attorney so independently verify everything you hear on here.

Last edited by ModestoGuns; 02-18-2018 at 6:48 PM..
Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Leaving in June. AZ or Utah permit would be best, if I can get the class out of the way in time.
Old 02-18-2018, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prwterbird View Post
Leaving in June. AZ or Utah permit would be best, if I can get the class out of the way in time.
They are very similar in what states you get. AZ will give you NM, UT does not. UT gives you WA, AZ does not. Good idea to do both if you can.

If you are in Nor Cal, I recommend www.besthandguntraining.com. They are in Lincoln and you do some shooting for the UT. After you get the UT you can use it to get AZ. You should probably be able to get both in time for a June trip if you get on it.
Old 02-18-2018, 4:36 PM

Utah only took about a month for me including the time it took to find a class. Once I submitted the application, it only took about 3 weeks. Utah law says they have 60 (I think...it may be 90) days to issue your ccw from the time they process payment. There are tons of classes depending on where you live. The class is a piece of cake. It is about 4 hours with no live fire required.
Old 02-18-2018, 4:37 PM

Also if you OC (or even CC with a permit), be very careful with Indian Reservations!
Old 02-18-2018, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Get AZ and youíre golden.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Old 02-18-2018, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Get AZ and youíre golden.
Now I just need a simple and cheap class in Orange County.
Old 02-19-2018, 2:55 AM
Veteran Member

Default How common is OC in NV & UT?

Get your hunter safety certificate. Sign up for the online version to satisfy the first 4 hours and find a class near you. The class should be another 4-5 hours long and a test at the end. You should be able to do it in one weekend. The hunter course will satisfy AZís safety requirement. Thatís how I got my FL and AZ. NH is easy. Just mail in your application and youíre done. No prints and no safety course. A $100 check and the application is all you need. Good luck.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c

Last edited by phdo; 02-19-2018 at 3:29 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 3:12 AM

I thought I was dreaming when I read this...

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03112.htm
Old 02-19-2018, 8:46 AM

You can find them for about 75 bucks all over the place. Just google multi state ccw and you will find the training classes. Utah and Arizona are the easiest to get but Utah and Florida give you the most states (Florida gives you the same states as Arizona but also adds Florida). Obviously, reciprocity is subject to change, which is why I have all 3. If you have ever taken any formal firearms training, you have likely already met the requirements for Arizona, but will need to request an application to be mailed to you...
Old 02-19-2018, 7:28 PM

While I don't travel in the mentioned states very often. I have seen one person OC in Nevada, at a small gas station. Older gentleman and I am 67 with a 1911 on his hip. That was in Jean Nv just off the 15.
Old 02-25-2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prwterbird View Post
Now I just need a simple and cheap class in Orange County.
It's not in Orange County, but this would be my recommendation.

https://5arrowstactical.com/

Their next class for out of state CCWs is March 10th in San Dimas, and if you're in north OC it's really not too far of a drive, (and even if you're in south OC, I still think it's worth it). It'll cover all requirements to apply for AZ and UT (and a few others as well), plus they have someone come by at the end of the class to roll finger print cards, (the cards are an extra charge, not included with cost of the class). They'll help you fill out the applications, and if you get the finger print cards, the only thing you'll need to do when you leave the class is get a money order and send off your packet to AZ.....for UT you'll also have to get pass port photos....but you're pretty much all set, they make it super easy. If you mail out your apps to AZ and UT the following week, you should be able to get at least one permit before your travels. I highly recommend them.