Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Application, work history

I'm filling out an app, and having trouble getting correct month and day for every job I've worked. Some jobs have gone under, franchised out, or in the case of one where I worked as a teachers aide for a local school district they will not furnish the info to me. Only faxed requests from the agency if I make it to backgrounds. I don't want to guess on my app or leave holes, I feel that shows I'm lazy or don't have it together. I have dates written down but I've noticed on places who return my calls or I can get through to hr the days can vary by a few. I assume processing time from when I quit until they finalized it all.

Anyone have tips advice or personal experience that can help?
Old 02-06-2013, 6:09 AM
Veteran Member

They wouldn't do a verification of work history? Every public agency I know of has a form they fill out for you... hmmm... well... for a lot of stuff, approximation is fine for the month/year without specific dates.

Just be upfront and tell your background investigator that this is the best you have for the information.
Old 02-06-2013, 7:54 AM

Thanks Notorious, also for you or anyone who may know of I had a seasonal job, such as cal fire. Is it best to list the dates of each season I worked, or just use one slot put my start and final end date. The same for the jobs worked during the off season. I moved around jobs a lot in those years so I look unstable. Either because of that, school, or to double my pay. I'm glad I gave that up and settled a bit, but I have only been with my current employer 2 years.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

Mine wasn't perfect, but I gave my best guess. I went back to some jobs off and on, so it was a crapshoot on exact dates. It's not really important to be down to the day, just give it an educated guess. They mostly care about having all the jobs listed so they can call the ones they want to, and to make sure you aren't leaving out any major job gaps or terminations.

Last edited by trob; 02-06-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 1:42 PM

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have to be careful, some employers frown on incorrect dates. Especially with goverment, municipalities etc will disqualify you for approximate dates. It's called the HR dept that just sees black and white. Hopefully this does not discourage you but always better to be on target than just close.
Old 02-06-2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrock1 View Post
You have to be careful, some employers frown on incorrect dates. Especially with goverment, municipalities etc will disqualify you for approximate dates. It's called the HR dept that just sees black and white. Hopefully this does not discourage you but always better to be on target than just close.
also good advice. I knew it wasnt going to be a huge issue before I started my background packet. i would ask them.
Old 02-06-2013, 2:29 PM

Bummer, that's why I want to get everything right. Even though this is just a questionnaire I think down the road ill eventually make it to some backgrounds somewhere if I keep trying this hard. It is hard though when companies won't return phone calls, or have changed hands I.e. franchised out.

Even worse today I am trying to get a date on a ticket from 2006 and a fix it from 2011. DMV has nothing because I went to traffic school. The court has nothing earlier than 2010, and referred me to DMV to get a ten year print out. Odd, I always thought you attended traffic school so DMV would not publish such info... Of course the agency who cited me can't do anything without a citation number either so im at a loss.

Anyone have any advice how to deal with this?
Old 02-06-2013, 3:19 PM

seriously, just guess. for mine, I put approximate dates for my traffic tickets too (within the same year/season). Its not a big deal, they just want to know about it.

Don't stress yourself out over it, youre not being tested on remembering specific dates of stuff. Just give it your best guess. They arent going to throw out your background investigation over it. at MOST, they'll just ask you about it, but probably not even that.
Old 02-06-2013, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Do your best and tell the BI upfront that some of the dates are approximate and he will understand. Just don't surprise him because they do hate surprises.
Old 02-06-2013, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Do ALL you can to track down the information, but if you come to a dead-end just tell 'em. Give it your best guess, explain why, and submit it. Like others have said, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.