Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default New Law Question

Does anyone have the CVC section for the new law requiring someone to change lanes or slow down when an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road w/ its lights on?

Thx.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Stationary Emergency Vehicle or Tow Truck

21809. (a) A person driving a vehicle on a freeway approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle that is displaying emergency lights, or a stationary tow truck that is displaying flashing amber warning lights, shall approach with due caution and, before passing in a lane immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck, absent any other direction by a peace officer, proceed to do one of the following:
(1) Make a lane change into an available lane not immediately adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle or tow truck with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, if practicable and not prohibited by law.

(2) If the maneuver described in paragraph (1) would be unsafe or impracticable, slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions.

(b) A violation of subdivision (a) is an infraction, punishable by a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50).

(c) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2010, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2010, deletes or extends that date.
The only info I can find is there was a bill to extend it past the 2010 date. It didn't say if it was passed tho. I'm sure one of the active leos with access to the new book will chime in. I don't doubt it will continue.

I actually had the occasion to use it on New Year's Eve when my wife and I were going to dinner. I moved into the next lane.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry, not sure what the status is. It is a good habit. I believe Arizona has a similar law. They actually have signs posted on I-10 & I-40 advising drivers.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Old 01-02-2010, 1:08 AM
Calguns Addict

No but there is a new law that requires you give right of way to snow plows.
Old 01-02-2010, 1:53 AM
CGN Contributor

yup, the new law just repealed the sunset date of CVC 21809, http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/...chaptered.html
and anoher law extended it to stationary emergency vehicles with a flashing amber light, http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/...chaptered.html

Quote:
Two 'Move Over' Bills

AAA supports two new 'move over' laws. SB 159, authored by Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto), makes permanent California's "Slow Down and Move Over" law. When approaching an emergency vehicle or tow truck displaying emergency lights on the highway motorists must slow down and move out of the lane adjacent to the emergency vehicle, if it's safe to do so. Additionally, SB 240 authored by Rod Wright (D-Inglewood) expands the "Slow Down and Move Over" law to include Caltrans vehicles that are flashing amber lights. Effective January 1, 2010.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 01-02-2010 at 1:56 AM..