Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Default Situational Awareness

Sometimes it's helpful to see others mistakes so we don't repeat them

It wouldn't be so bad if the suspect wasn't dressed down. I have received two different descriptions of the call...one version it was an open 911 line the other a 211 silent.
Old 12-20-2009, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Thats a good one all right, and a reminder to always maintain awareness. I'm wondering if the deputy just walked in on it dead bang? Was there enough time for a call or an alarm to go out?

Either way, that could have ended very badly.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

That sent a chill down my spine... I wonder if the gun was real?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
That sent a chill down my spine... I wonder if the gun was real?
Exactly. Look how composed the suspect is. In addition to the situational awareness/tactics aspect, this film should serve as evidence to the state of mind that the average violent criminal has today.

This criminal didn't panic and made the best split second decision given the situation. It shows his ability to think under pressure. For me, I looked at that video and saw a suspect who would blend in if possible but would shoot without hesitation if necessary.
Old 12-20-2009, 1:26 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Exactly... he seemed to eye the officer/deputy, realize she wasn't aware of what was going on, and chose to just walk away instead of shoot it out.
Old 12-20-2009, 6:01 PM

Ongoing criminal investigation...Can't say much more. Hopefully at some point the whole story will come out. It looks bad on video but the whole story makes lots more sense.

Very very lucky deputy. We're all lucky sometimes...And sometimes we're not.
Old 12-20-2009, 6:56 PM
Jonathan Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Ongoing criminal investigation...Can't say much more. Hopefully at some point the whole story will come out. It looks bad on video but the whole story makes lots more sense.

Very very lucky deputy. We're all lucky sometimes...And sometimes we're not.
I had a whole story emailed to me. Maybe I will forward it to you since you are a deputy.

Indeed the deputy was lucky. The suspect with the gun was arrested. There are a lot of speculations about this incident. There are more to it than what you can see here. Nobody should say bad things about the situations the deputies were in.
Old 12-20-2009, 7:30 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

I don't fault the deputy in this situation... the positioning of the suspect's gun seemed to be out of her view when she entered the store. The quick movement into the pocket could easily be interpreted by her as the guy putting change into his pocket.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 12-20-2009, 7:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. Reminds me of a vid I saw awhile back from Mexico with three officers walking into a holdup. The perp covered it up and while they were talking with the diversion guy, the perp shoots all three officers.

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 12-20-2009, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Judging by the responses in this thread, I'm GUESSING the call came out as a silent 211. Deputy arrives and Instead of taking cover somewhere outside w/ a view of the entrance while dispatch makes the call inside, she walks in.....

Am I right?
Old 12-20-2009, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatino View Post
Judging by the responses in this thread, I'm GUESSING the call came out as a silent 211. Deputy arrives and Instead of taking cover somewhere outside w/ a view of the entrance while dispatch makes the call inside, she walks in.....

Am I right?
There is more to it from my understanding. She had a training officer apparently.
Old 12-20-2009, 9:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, she is lucky, very lucky.

I will say this...Why thow out these little tid-bit comments about the incident? All that does is have people post speculative and innuendo comments about what happened. That makes us no better than some of the other folks on this board (we know who they are) who throw out the speculative comments...and, I think we are above that type of behavior.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 12-20-2009, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
I had a whole story emailed to me. Maybe I will forward it to you since you are a deputy.

Indeed the deputy was lucky. The suspect with the gun was arrested. There are a lot of speculations about this incident. There are more to it than what you can see here. Nobody should say bad things about the situations the deputies were in.
Thank you Sir, but I got the email...about five "originals"...And two or three of the clarifications. Like I said before. The reason that only "tidbits" are getting released is because it's an ongoing criminal investigation and we can't just give out information related to a criminal investigation... Unless we want people like this to beat the charges and get back out on the street.

I will say this. The video here is shortened.

There was no 211 Silent.

Last edited by SoCalDep; 12-20-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 3:39 AM

The time between him pulling the gun and her walking in is way too short. There is no doubt she walked in on it without knowing what was going on.
Old 12-21-2009, 3:15 PM

That video sent a chill down my spine also.... wow, she was very lucky. I'm glad she wasn't hurt & suspect is i/c.
Old 12-21-2009, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
The time between him pulling the gun and her walking in is way too short. There is no doubt she walked in on it without knowing what was going on.
I tend to agree with this. It looks like the deputy was coming in to purchase something.
Old 12-21-2009, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

She is lucky, however I don't think she was in a posistion to see the gun. She looked right at him but he was cool and calm. What can you do? Only thing she should have done was radio for back up and give his discriptors BEFORE she ran out after him.

This makes me think about the snow ball thread in o/t..... I think it was viper395 talking about his thread line.
Old 12-21-2009, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Around 17:10:10 there is a car coming in and the deputy walks in at 17:10:16 from the otherside(left side) of the store. I don't think the video was editted during it is shown on Youtube. The criminal was cool and when she was walking in she probably could not see the gun.
Old 12-21-2009, 5:33 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Rather than have some continuing to speculate as to what actually occurred and due to the ongoing criminal investigation preventing the complete facts from being posted, I'm going to lock this thread.
Closed Thread