Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM

Default Assault Weapon Reg

I have a quick question.

I have a CA legal AR-15 that I built a while back. I am now a LE Officer and want to carry a AR-15 with me on patrol. My question is this: Is there any way that I can register my CA legal AR-15 as a assault weapon so I can carry it on patrol with?

What are my options with this? I don't want to buy a whole new rifle. Is there a place that I could just buy a new lower from? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Short answer is... talk to your sgt. or supervisor. If your department allows it, you can get an approval letter that would let you either register your current rifle, or purchase a new rifle. It's entirely up to your individual department though.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM

My Sgt has already said it was okay. I am just unsure about how to register it as a Assault Weapon after it has already been DROSed as a OOL long gun.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Verbal authorization is not going to be enough. You are going to need a signed letter from the Sherif or Chief on department letterhead. My buddy ran into the same problem. His immediate supervisor was cool with it, but the Chief would not sign off on the letter. So you gotta catch him when he is in a good mood.

At that point you can just find a dealer that knows what the procedure is and which forms need to be filed. I am not sure it is required by law that you go through a dealer again, but it seems like a smart idea to me. Last thing you need is to get nailed over a paperwork mistake.

Wish I knew more. My buddy did not get very far.

Personally I would not want to register it, don't trust "the man". But since you are the man, I guess it's ok.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Be careful, though, as DOJ is particular about how you RECEIVE the assault weapon. When you register it, you'll need the letter from your chief authorizing you to have the specific weapon (serial number, make, model, etc.) and the DOJ Peace Officer Assault weapon registration application card. On the back of the card, you will have to indicate who you received the assault weapon from. If that is not a Ca. DOJ approved Assault Weapon dealer, your application will be rejected.

Also be aware that since your OLL is not now an assault weapon, if you were to make it into an assault weapon (removing the BB or adding a pistol grip, whatever) even after you register it as such, you could be accused of illegally manufacturing an assault weapon, which the Peace Officer exemption does not cover.

It seems that the DOJ's idea of the Peace Officer assault weapon only applies to an authorized Peace Officer purchasing an assault weapon directly from an approved Assault Weapon dealer and immediately registering said weapon.

Last edited by BT JUSTICE; 12-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: inadvertently posted incomplete
Old 12-10-2009, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

If you can get the letter from your boss, you are better off buying a new one than trying to register your OLLs.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 12-12-2009, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djack12 View Post
I don't want to buy a whole new rifle.
Buy a new rifle!

Figure that out and exercise your mind.....

Last edited by retired; 12-12-2009 at 7:28 PM..
Old 12-12-2009, 9:31 AM

I hear ya.... I have an issued AW rifle; Colt 6920.

But when I go home, I become irresponsible and have a 10 round limit and have to have a BB on my OLL's. Both the AW and my OLL's sleep next to each other in safe.

Go figure......
Old 12-12-2009, 5:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Save the California bashing for some other thread. The OP is asking a legit question.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 12-12-2009, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

BUT op get a new one from a approved dealer and you have one NOT neutered (sp) and one neutured.

Last edited by retired; 12-12-2009 at 7:30 PM.. Reason: unnecessary/frivolous
Old 12-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Please stick to the topic brought up by the OP. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 3:34 AM

Step 1. Call DOJ Firearms division, identify yourself as a LEO if you are such. Be patient, you will get bounced around a little. DO NOT SPEAK WITH A FIELD OFFICER. This will be a total waste of time. You don't care what their personal opinion is, you want to speak with the very nice woman who enters in all AW transactions in the state of CA. Trust me, she is a good person to get to know.

Step 2. Ask what THEY want. This is not rocket science. You CAN register your OLL as an AW and remove your BB. Several of my friends have done exactly that WITH NO ISSUES.

Step 3. Do what THEY want. Its not particularly dificult and having the nice woman's direct phone number will expedite things if you have questions / issues later.

The person to sign the letter will be a designated member of your department. They are designated ahead of time by your administration. Yes, one must be designated and listed on file with DOJ or your letter will be rejected. It shouldn't be that hard to find out who it is in your department. Frequently, it is not the Chief / Sheriff it will be an admin Lt or Sgt, etc...

Don't be surprised if your paperwork takes a bit to process. One person processes ALL of them in the state.

When you get your registration confirmation letter from DOJ, check the information listed. Accidents happen as we all know. Keep your paperwork in a sealed waterproof container somewhere. I keep all of mine in a gallon size sandwich bag inside another gallon size sandwich bag inside my gun safe. Getting coppies of this paperwork can be a PITA, safeguard your paperwork.
Old 12-17-2009, 3:12 PM

I think Gunrun pretty much hit the nail on the head
Old 12-17-2009, 6:53 PM

[QUOTE=BT JUSTICE;3477184]Be careful, though, as DOJ is particular about how you RECEIVE the assault weapon. When you register it, you'll need the letter from your chief authorizing you to have the specific weapon (serial number, make, model, etc.) and the DOJ Peace Officer Assault weapon registration application card. On the back of the card, you will have to indicate who you received the assault weapon from. If that is not a Ca. DOJ approved Assault Weapon dealer, your application will be rejected.

I found this out the hard way. DOJ rejected my registration. It sits in my safe with a BB. I submitted all the necessary paperwork, but the OLL was purchased outside CA and not from a CA DOJ approved AW dealer.
Old 12-18-2009, 1:31 AM

sahera819, did you call DOJ and ask them what to do? Usually, they will work with you.
When they first started allowing officers to register AW's, my chief submitted a letter for me. It was kicked back 4 times before I got the verbage right and everything was signed off. I leared the hard way to ask what they wanted in advance. If nothing else, you should be able to re-DROS it at a AW dealer to "check all the boxes". None of my buddies have ever run into this issue before with their (typically not bought at a AW dealer) rifles.
Old 12-18-2009, 5:42 AM

Default AW registration

Gunrun45,

I followed the instructions on the AW registration application. The rejection notice stated the blue card had to be completed by a DOJ AW dealer. I had filled out the dealer info since I purchased the OLL from an out of state dealer. Unfortunately there is only one place here in Bakersfield that has an AW dealer's license. Thats another story too.
Old 12-18-2009, 7:11 PM

Nice...

As a side note, I have never had a dealer fill one out for me. They are also identical to the ones that I filled out for my AW's when I registered them as a private citizen prior to the ban taking effect...

Might be worth your while to talk to DOJ rep or some other AW dealer that might be able to help. Worst case scenario is that they say no.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario520 View Post
Like everyone else stated, you can register the rifle that you build as as an Assault Rifle long as the C.O.P. or Sheriff approves it on a department letterhead. You then will need to get a form from ATF which is NOT available online in order to re-register the rifle as an assault weapon.
What ATF form? Since the federal AW ban expired, ATF is not involved with the legality of AWs in CA.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-19-2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahera819 View Post
Gunrun45,

I followed the instructions on the AW registration application. The rejection notice stated the blue card had to be completed by a DOJ AW dealer. I had filled out the dealer info since I purchased the OLL from an out of state dealer. Unfortunately there is only one place here in Bakersfield that has an AW dealer's license. Thats another story too.
Who and where?