Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-17-2009, 3:02 PM

Default Ride Along and potential career in LE

Another one of these guys/questions? Yeah, just bear with me.

So I went on a ride along today. It was very neat, informative, and exciting. The Chief of Police is a close friend of my family and has wanted me to become a cop since I was a teenager (along with other cops who are friends), and I've always considered it, but not sure. I'm now in college to get my bachelors in business and theres a chance I'll go into law enforcement down the road and after graduation, but it depends on how life plays out. Sometimes I feel bad having such a foot in the door when others with devout motivation would kill to have some 'in' to LE, and I don't want to not capitalize on a good oppurtunity.

Anyways, what do you guys think? What does it take be a good officer and handle LE? How will a business degree serve me in LE? (I'm aware obviously that a criminal justice degree would be ideal, but I'm not quite ready to put all my marbles in one basket).

Thanks and I really appreciate everything you guys do. True unsung heroes.
Old 12-17-2009, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Matt View Post
Another one of these guys/questions? Yeah, just bear with me.

So I went on a ride along today. It was very neat, informative, and exciting. The Chief of Police is a close friend of my family and has wanted me to become a cop since I was a teenager (along with other cops who are friends), and I've always considered it, but not sure. I'm now in college to get my bachelors in business and theres a chance I'll go into law enforcement down the road and after graduation, but it depends on how life plays out. Sometimes I feel bad having such a foot in the door when others with devout motivation would kill to have some 'in' to LE, and I don't want to not capitalize on a good oppurtunity.

Anyways, what do you guys think? What does it take be a good officer and handle LE? How will a business degree serve me in LE? (I'm aware obviously that a criminal justice degree would be ideal, but I'm not quite ready to put all my marbles in one basket).

Thanks and I really appreciate everything you guys do. True unsung heroes.
lol You should feel bad
Old 12-17-2009, 4:11 PM
Jonathan Doe

You are the only one who knows yourself. Ask yourself if the LE career is for you. It seems to me that you may have a doubt in the LE career. It was THE career for me for the last 24 years, and 5 more to go. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-17-2009, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyways, what do you guys think? What does it take be a good officer and handle LE? How will a business degree serve me in LE? (I'm aware obviously that a criminal justice degree would be ideal, but I'm not quite ready to put all my marbles in one basket)
surely you jest

the only thing i can think that a criminal justice degree would be good for is teaching.

my degree is in Organizational Behavior and was actually quite useful. the most related degree would be one in Administration of Justice. your degree would be useful as you raise in the ranks of administration...it's all really just about management anyway.

skills a good officer needs are in communication and the ability to deal with people from different economic strata. a excellent background for LE would be one in retail sales.

you'll be able to handle a career in LE better if you have the ability to deal well with the gray areas in life (there is no absolute right or wrong), use common sense (understand discretion) and do the right thing without worrying about the end result (ethical behavior)

YMMV as may your experience
Old 12-17-2009, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
surely you jest

the only thing i can think that a criminal justice degree would be good for is teaching.

my degree is in Organizational Behavior and was actually quite useful. the most related degree would be one in Administration of Justice. your degree would be useful as you raise in the ranks of administration...it's all really just about management anyway.

skills a good officer needs are in communication and the ability to deal with people from different economic strata. a excellent background for LE would be one in retail sales.

you'll be able to handle a career in LE better if you have the ability to deal well with the gray areas in life (there is no absolute right or wrong), use common sense (understand discretion) and do the right thing without worrying about the end result (ethical behavior)
YMMV as may your experience
If you decide to pursue a career in LE, the BOLD is it.
Old 12-17-2009, 7:11 PM

9mmepiphany hit the nails on their heads, and mirrors my experience 100%.

Disclaimer: I do not know what YMMV means.....but I probably agree with that as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 7:56 PM

Thanks you guys, that helps alot and exactly what i'm looking for.

I hold myself to a pretty high moral standard, especially ethically, and am real good with people, communication, and understanding other people's circumstances (and lack of morals for that sake).

Maybe down the road I'll be a LEO in here, or maybe not . And I don't have doubts about law enforcement, there's just so many windows and oppurtunities being in college that I can't definitively say that's what I'm going to do, but it's up there on the list and I also understand for some its a calling.
Old 12-17-2009, 8:06 PM

Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer........see if its right for you before you invest months/years of your life going to a police academy, field training, and probation only to find you don't like forcing yourself physically on others when the situation requires it.

I"ve seen it happen....
Old 12-17-2009, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
there's just so many windows and oppurtunities being in college that I can't definitively say that's what I'm going to do
an important thing to consider...don't go into LE for the money, you'll be sorely disappointed

i'll also ask you a question that i asked all my trainees to ask themselves...can you kill another human being?

you can't have a qualified answer (sure i can if...), it's a yes or no question
Old 12-17-2009, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Disclaimer: I do not know what YMMV means.....but I probably agree with that as well.
Your Mileage May Vary