Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-02-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
According to Lyman #49 you can get over 1600+ fps with 240 jacketed bullet using Winchester 296. Check it out
I would think you could get close to 1800 maybe.

I chrono'd some of my "medium" loads out in the desert last year. 240 grain jacketed Magtechs on 15.0 gr of Blue Dot. My Caldwell measured an average of 1581 FPS. Out of my 1894 of course. So a 22-24 gr load of slower-burning 296/H110 has got to produce velocities north of that a ways.
Old 09-02-2018, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

My old Winchester loading pamphlet dated 9/78 used way more powder then the #49 Lyman manual as much as 3 grains more it’s starting is Lyman’s max there is a lot of years between the two, but I think I’ll stick to Lyman’s specs for now.

Old 09-02-2018, 5:26 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
According to Lyman #49 you can get over 1600+ fps with 240 jacketed bullet using Winchester 296. Check it out

Oh yes. Thank you. There will be full-fledged Magnum workups in my future. I'm only looking to do some pleasant but effective plinking and defense loads; loads that will work in both Blackhawk single actions and my .44 lever carbine. I *think* bullet size (.432") is big enough for the Microgroove-style rifling in this Miroku Browning (Win-) '92. Won't know 'til I slug the barrel, but I'm pretty sure .432 is good to go, if not .001" too fat...
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-02-2018, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

I load that hard cast 205 grain with 10 grains of Unique about 1100 FPS mild recoil and very accurate. The manuals used to have a section listed as Ruger Blackhawk or TC contender only that’s when we’d use the 296.
I’d think with the newer powders you could do even better.

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 09-02-2018 at 6:22 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 6:47 PM

I'm still kicking myself for selling my JM 1894S microgroove barrel .41 mag. Had it since I was 14. Sold it here on the market place about 8 or so years ago. Made in late 80s. Still my favorite rifle.
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 09-03-2018, 7:26 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
JM 1894S microgroove barrel .41 mag

That was a straight stock, carbine config forend, wasn't it? ...as opposed to my FG with it's palm swell buttstock and short rifle forend... and sling swivels.

Did you have a pet load for it?

Here's hoping you might find another one day.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

Old 09-03-2018, 7:34 PM

Tiny bit off topic but still on lever guns, just picked this up today, its a 30-30 winchester centennial 66 w octagon barrel 24” for about $650
Old 09-03-2018, 7:37 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
just picked this up today, its a 30-30 winchester centennial 66 w octagon

Holy Toledo, Ohio, that's a gorgeous rifle.

Deserves it's own thread, with BIGGER pictures, please!