Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-22-2018, 7:05 PM

Default Buckmark/X-Ring backpacker ***Updated with range report and video***

So I decided to DROS two weapons at the same time. I started off buying the Browning Buckmark Plus UDX Rosewood, and then decided to special order the Tactical Solutions X-Ring Backpacker Takedown (basically a tricked out 10/22) in Quicksand. T-Minus 9 days. I'll include stock photos and update with unboxing photos.

The buckmark I got because every time I've had the pleasure to shoot one, it's been unadulterated fun. It's inexpensive to shoot and has lots of options for the future.

It's also classically beautiful.

The X-Ring I decided on after years of wanting a 10/22 and a fair bit of research recently. My biggest issue with the 10/22 is that you can't go from shooting irons to using a scope in any simple manner. I recently saw an aftermarket rail that may allow for this, but with the other upgrades I was considering, this made much more sense. I also don't have a bunch of space for spare parts.

The iron sites have fiber optics, and the stock not only clips the forend securely, but also has plenty of storage including a dry-capsule in the grip. The rail is integrated into the receiver and has a groove allowing one to use the iron sights out of the box or quickly attack a scope (I use Warne QD rings)

Bonus, it's very light (4.6#)

D22BA1A2-C894-4551-A9F6-65E3CE0F78D2-1517-000001C33A2AF1E9.jpeg
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 04-22-2018 at 7:07 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looking forward to a review on the Buckmark. I picked up the Conture URX a couple weeks ago. I'm just to lazy to go to the range.

MLC, First 3
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 AM

I'll likely be reviewing both. Very little information available about the x-ring and I want to see how it compares to the match 10/22 options, especially non takedown varieties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 05-01-2018, 8:18 PM

They're finally home! And my pelican case and locks came on time (:

Now to get everything to fit... Measure twice, cut once...

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-01-2018, 8:32 PM

Default Finally delving into the world of .22LR (pickup May 1st) *Buckmark/X-Ring backpacker*

I'll keep playing around with it, suggestions helpful. I checked, and the case (1525 air) is deep with for the storing the magazines vertically.

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:

Last edited by Exdc; 05-01-2018 at 8:35 PM..
Old 05-01-2018, 8:49 PM

Congrats brother! Pretty guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread

Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!

Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.
Old 05-01-2018, 8:55 PM

Looking forward to your review. That X-Ring is my dream 10/22 takedown. Trying to convince myself to spend the $$.

I have the same model Buckmark and love it. Runs on every type of ammo very well, from cheap bulk to minimags.
Old 05-01-2018, 9:32 PM

Default Finally delving into the world of .22LR (pickup May 1st) *Buckmark/X-Ring backpacker*

This is my final answer, or close to it. It keeps everything distanced nicely, and away from the edges. May move the magazines.

Wish there were room for a scope in this box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcruz View Post
Looking forward to your review. That X-Ring is my dream 10/22 takedown. Trying to convince myself to spend the $$.

I have the same model Buckmark and love it. Runs on every type of ammo very well, from cheap bulk to minimags.

From feeling it, it's perfect. I'll give the range report when I get one.. (:

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:

Last edited by Exdc; 05-01-2018 at 9:35 PM..
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Looking forward to a review on the Buckmark. I picked up the Conture URX a couple weeks ago. I'm just to lazy to go to the range.
Same here. I'm still searching for an easy plug n play fiber optic front sight to swap out the stock one with.
They all seem to be the top screw kind.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:50 PM

Oh no, need to buy 100 more CCI!

Good luck with your front sights!

Probably should have gone to bed a couple hours ago... 🤷🏽*♂️

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 AM

Went to the range today and for the first time in about 3 years, I decided to take my Buckmark with me. It was the 1st pistol I ever purchased and is identical to yours except my grips are laminated walnut looking. It is by far the prettiest gun I own. WOW was it fun to shoot; like shooting my Roy Rogers cap pistol I had as a kid. I have rediscovered a new range toy. Enjoy yours!

Be careful of that front site. Mine got hit and broke/lost the green HiVis plasic rod. It costs about $60 to replace. Heck with that. White-out dab on the front and was good-to-go.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
Went to the range today and for the first time in about 3 years, I decided to take my Buckmark with me. It was the 1st pistol I ever purchased and is identical to yours except my grips are laminated walnut looking. It is by far the prettiest gun I own. WOW was it fun to shoot; like shooting my Roy Rogers cap pistol I had as a kid. I have rediscovered a new range toy. Enjoy yours!

Be careful of that front site. Mine got hit and broke/lost the green HiVis plasic rod. It costs about $60 to replace. Heck with that. White-out dab on the front and was good-to-go.

Happy you re-discovered it! And thanks for the warning about the site.

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Found a place to store my scope--bottom of the foam (: I'll get the one with rings out of the garage tomorrow And cut the space for those, but now I have a range day-in-a-box! May even get to the range tomorrow... Will post pictures if I do!

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 06-04-2018, 8:55 AM

Default Buckmark/X-Ring backpacker ***Updated with range report and video***

*****RANGE REPORT*****

All from the Buckmark at 25 yards (I think these are 6 inch targets?), using CCI Minimag, Federal bulk, and Remington bulk. Didn't record which was which, sorry.
Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:

Last edited by Exdc; 06-08-2018 at 9:47 AM..
Old 06-08-2018, 9:48 AM

***Found the video of my rifle groups!***

https://youtu.be/r5oPwxtM2J4

Started pretty wide. Once I realized the scope was canted (and the bubble level on the scope was independently canted...) I got my tools out (Including a scope level) and the groups got tighter. After about 100 rounds I think it's in the neighborhood of 1.5MOA, but a good portion of that is likely me. I'll take it out again in a few weeks (fingers crossed) and see if it keeps improving. I also had a couple of stovepopes and FTFeed. Kind of frustrating for what the gun cost. I am going to get the auto-bolt-hold-open if they exist for this platform.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/d87becdb582cbbf39e1dbfdb761721dc.jpg[/IMG.

All in all the Buckmark is REALLY fun. I'm sure I'll get more out of the rifle with practice.

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote: