Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-28-2010, 4:44 PM

Default KNS Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins

ive noticed that quite a few people on here have KNS Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins...is it a nice thing to have or a waste of 30 bucks. will it make a difference in the long run as far as wear on lower?
http://www.impactguns.com/store/NRTHPMOD2-155.html
Old 03-28-2010, 4:44 PM

If you don't have a problem, don't try to fix it

NRA Endowment Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Personal Protection,
Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-28-2010, 5:06 PM

You know when I first. Purchased a set it was for an ar w/ a BB. I decided 2 put it on one of my RAW ar's instead. When I took the pins out I noticed wear on both the pins and reciever.. sooooo. I use them now on several guns.. don't know if it helps you out any but that's. Why I use them now...
Old 03-28-2010, 5:54 PM

I have them but only after I installed my Timney trigger. It's peace of mind on my part.
Old 03-28-2010, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

It is pretty much only useful for transferable machine gun lowers, to keep the registered lower in as good a shape as possible. Walking shouldn't be an issue, the trigger/hammer springs sit on cuts in the trigger/hammer pins to keep them from walking. The military has Colt from the 60's still sitting in their armory, there are plenty of SP1s, none of those requires anti-walking pins. The lower is one of the last parts if at all that will ever need replacing.

I thought I had heard that those KNS pins can cause problems if the trigger/hammer pins ever snap.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a hammer pin break on me and you know what happens when a hammer pin breaks, so I upgraded to the KNS pins on my Comp gun. My featured gun just has a stock LPK.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:16 PM

I bought a set of the latest revision, Gen II Mod 2, for my current build. It's on a completed 80% lower that I just had Duracoated, not anodized, so there's nothing to really help the lower hold up. Being that it's my first build, I'm sure it will get more abuse than any others, and it's just a little more insurance.

For $30, you may as well if it's something you're worried about. If your lower costs $100 for a forged, or $300+ for a super-trick billet piece, $30 isn't a huge chunk of change to keep your rifle working long into the future. Just think how much it would suck to be out at the range and have one fall out, or have the hole oval and not hold a pin at all anymore. Unlikely situations for most builds, but if there's a positive stop in there, you know there could be wear, but they're not coming out at least.
Old 03-28-2010, 8:37 PM

I have them on all my builds, as much as I spent on them, what's another $32.00?
Old 03-29-2010, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javalos View Post
I have them on all my builds, as much as I spent on them, what's another $32.00?
Yep, what he said! ^^^
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Waste of money.

People fail to understand the design of the hammer/trigger pin...

Will also ruin your competition trigger if you decide to use them in combo.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM

It will ruin Giselles yes. But I don't know about others.

A waste of money? No. Maybe in your HO. But obviously not alot of others.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 PM

They work for me. My hammer pin used to come out and cause problems. Problem solved.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 PM

I have JPs, <$10.00 gtg. Timmy too loose on IRA308 w/DPMS LPK.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 PM

I have mod 1 on my 1st build and mod 2 on my 2nd build. Both are 5.56/.223 rifles. I use them so I don't have to worry about my stock pins from "walking". And I have personally seen a pin "walk" even when the AR wasn't being fired. The LPK was properly installed too!
I have also heard that the KNS pins are only recommended for suppressed AR's and 22lr AR's. I haven't really researched this and if there's really any truth to it. But I already told you my purpose for using them = less worry! Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2010, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

not that any of my pins ever walked out on me, but i have them on many of my builds. this may be a lame reason but it's the truth - i got them becasue they look cool.

the only build that i'm going to claim that is justified in having them is the 9mm.

Last edited by pacrimguru; 03-29-2010 at 9:04 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 9:01 AM
Banned

I have them because I plan to swap pistol caliber uppers on my lowers.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM

My trigger pins kept creeping/walking out and I decided to bend the hammer spring to lock in the pin grove which solved the problem, but I then had a problem with light strikes due to the hammer spring being bent. So I bought some kns pins..problem solved.

Don't fix anything that is working fine is the rule of thumb, but if you feel you want a little extra protection then get one.

I've hear of problems with pin holes wearing out on full autos and 9mm setups. So I'm not taking any chances with my 9mm setup.
Old 03-29-2010, 3:16 PM

You know, I have seen a lot of people say the ol' "don't fix a problem that doesn't exist" line a lot. I look at KNS pins as cheap insurance. Like the other posters have said, you've spent this much, what is another $32? I have KNS pins on 3 of my 4 AR builds and the only reason I don't have them on one of them is that I build a "period correct" A2. Plus I have to agree with others, they just look cool (and still serve a function).

I ride motorcycles and have for quite a few years. I have gone through and safety wired the complete bike. Do I ride it on the track? Nope (used to) but I know damn well none of those parts are going to come off on one of my rides.
Old 03-29-2010, 5:31 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A lot of people have their hammer springs in backwards, so their trigger pin walks and then they think they need to spend the money on a set of KNS's to "fix" the problem of a backwards hammer spring.

Fix your hammer spring for free. Don't buy KNS's.

KNS's have two very valid uses:
1.) Registered MG lowers for full-auto use.
2.) Colt-style 9mm guns with a non-ramped bolt.

Other than that you're not solving any problems using them, and they are a waste of money.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 03-29-2010, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Other than that, you're not solving any problems using them, and they are a waste of money.
^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^ Fix yo springs.
Old 03-29-2010, 9:36 PM

I have no problems with my springs. I have no worry of problems with my springs. I understand how the pins work, unless I'm missing something...?

I do, however, worry that the holes may go oval on my 80% lower. There is a legitimate issue with a bare aluminum/non-anodized lower. It's not a huge issue with a semi-auto rifle, but it's still there.

I bought the KNS pins for my first build and will probably buy them for each of my following builds. Why? No, not because I own a majority stake in KNS, but because, like others have said, it's cheap insurance. Like all insurance, it's something you hope you never need, but when you do need it, heaven forbid, it better be there.

And yes, they do look b*tchin.

That is all.
Old 03-30-2010, 7:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepur606 View Post
I have no problems with my springs. I have no worry of problems with my springs. I understand how the pins work, unless I'm missing something...?
If you're still using them, then yes you are missing something.

Quote:
I do, however, worry that the holes may go oval on my 80% lower. There is a legitimate issue with a bare aluminum/non-anodized lower. It's not a huge issue with a semi-auto rifle, but it's still there.
What are you doing to prevent egging out the bolt catch area? The pivot pin area? The takedown pin area?

The cheapest insurance for an 80%'er is to just have it anodized. Not buying KNS pins.

Quote:
I bought the KNS pins for my first build and will probably buy them for each of my following builds. Why? No, not because I own a majority stake in KNS, but because, like others have said, it's cheap insurance. Like all insurance, it's something you hope you never need, but when you do need it, heaven forbid, it better be there.
If you still think they are cheap insurance, then you still aren't understanding what they do and do not do.

It's not cheap insurance if it doesn't DO anything. At that point it's a wasted $32 that could have bought you more ammo.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 03-30-2010, 8:24 AM

I think at this point we just all have to agree to disagree. Half of the people think they look cool and are cheap insurance, the other half think they are pointless. We all enjoy firearms though!

I say we debate about something that is important...like...TnA!!! Which do you like better?
Old 03-30-2010, 9:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjetguy View Post
I think at this point we just all have to agree to disagree. Half of the people think they look cool and are cheap insurance, the other half think they are pointless. We all enjoy firearms though!
The whole point of the argument was to answer the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koxx.dta View Post
ive noticed that quite a few people on here have KNS Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins...is it a nice thing to have or a waste of 30 bucks. will it make a difference in the long run as far as wear on lower?
The answer is that except for a registered MG lower or a colt-style 9mm with a non-ramped bolt they are a waste of 30 bucks.

That's not what I or others "think"; it's just a fact.

As to them looking cool, well that's just personal opinion and there is no right or wrong answer to that one.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

And.......

they're still worthless.....

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 03-30-2010, 7:03 AM

OH MY GOD!!! My pins are spinning faster than Linda Blairs head!!!! What do I do?

It's normal.
If it really bothers you, get some oversized pins, from brownells. Dang sght cheaper than 30+ bucks.
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws" From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Old 03-30-2010, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm a T man myself but I do like a healthy balance of both.
Old 03-30-2010, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Im into T P n A its not a party until you have all 3

In 1776 we announced we would not be sitting back down.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Man that was some great Kool-Aid.......... hmmmmmm theres a hint of something metallic. Oh well guess I will get on with the voting.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Get the KNS pins if you would like to..I have them on my builds because I like the look, and I did have a problem with one of my lowers with the hammer pin walking out. NOT THE TRIGGER PIN. I know how to install a hammer spring correctly.....As Plinker once said, this is the U.S. of A , so do what cha want!

Last edited by 818gtiguy; 03-30-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818gtiguy View Post

Get the KNS pins if you would like to..I have them on my builds because I like the look, and I did have a problem with one of my lowers with the hammer pin walking out. NOT THE TRIGGER PIN. I know how to install a hammer spring correctly.....As Plinker once said, this is the U.S. of A , so do what cha want!
Chances are you have a defective hammer missing the J-Hook.

Your hammer is still defective even if you "fixed" the problem by installing KNS pins.
Old 03-30-2010, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Chances are you have a defective hammer missing the J-Hook.

Your hammer is still defective even if you "fixed" the problem by installing KNS pins.
The hammer has the j spring in there and I can feel the click as the spring engages the channel on the pin, and I have ran that hammer in a different lower with the regular pins and they did not walk out....Maybe I have a some faulty standards pins in the other lower orI could of just got another pin or try to make the channel in the pin a little deeper...Oh well... All I know is that the KNS pins solved my problem..

Last edited by 818gtiguy; 03-30-2010 at 4:08 PM..