Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-27-2013, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDJG View Post
I got the same one from Jim Patterson. Good letter.
Old 01-27-2013, 6:39 PM

I've received some automated responses but that's it.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Default From Rep Linda Sanchez (D)

I got a response from my Congress Rep, Linda Sanchez (D). Definitely a canned response, but I wasn't expecting much else.

"Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control and gun safety. I value your views, and enjoy hearing from my constituents.

I am supportive of the Second Amendment and agree that people generally should be able to own firearms for self-defense and sport. However, I strongly believe it is our responsibility to prevent those people who would use them recklessly or to break the law from getting them.

As with any other dangerous item, people who own guns must be held to the highest standards of safety especially since misuse of firearms is so often lethal. Rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation involving greater regulation of firearms comes before the House of Representatives.

Thank you again for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns. It is an honor to serve you in Congress.

Sincerely,

Rep. Linda T. Sanchez"

Last edited by madsend81; 01-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Default From Lieutenant Governor.

With my writing campaign this is what the Lieutenaut Governer sent me.

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx

Thank you for contacting the Office of Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom.

Please accept this message as an acknowledgement that your email has been received and your comments have been noted.

The Newtown tragedy is a clarion call to all leaders, regardless of political party, to act purposefully. Senseless gun violence is not simply about gun control. It must also include meaningful discussion of mental health policy in America. Political parties must be realistic – Democrats can’t draw the line in the sand at banning all guns and Republicans can’t dig in on the status quo.

In addition, I encourage you to also voice your opinion to your own State Senator or Assembly member. To follow is a link that you may use to determine your representative:

http://192.234.213.69/smapsearch/framepage.asp

Again, I thank you again for your correspondence.

Sincerely,

GAVIN NEWSOM

Lieutenant Governor
Old 01-28-2013, 3:27 PM

This is the reply I received:

January 25, 2013

Thank you for contacting me in regard to gun control and the President's recent proposal. It is a privilege to serve you in Congress and I value your input.

On January 17, 2013, the President outlined a broad set of recommendations stemming from the Vice President's Gun Violence Task Force. Throughout my tenure I have been, and will continue to be, a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and I plan to review all of the President's recommendations thoroughly. I am committed to addressing the root causes of gun violence and finding commonsense and responsible policy solutions without curtailing any of our Second Amendment rights.

Additionally, the Committee on Education and Workforce, of which I am a senior member, has announced that in the coming weeks the Committee will be holding hearings to examine school safety and I am hopeful that we can work together to explore and implement policies that will help to prevent violence in our schools

Every act of gun violence is a tragedy, but the senseless horror of what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary has left us deeply saddened and demanding answers. The myriad of issues involved in man-made tragedies such as this are incredibly complex, and we owe it to ourselves, as a good and decent society, to examine every aspect of the violence epidemic, starting with a thorough dissection of our country's mental health and family services, as well as our current gun laws and problematic issues with their enforcement. Criminals who obtain and use firearms for illegal purposes should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. We must be careful, however, not to penalize responsible, law-abiding citizens or infringe upon the sacred civil liberties guaranteed in our Constitution.

In wake of this horrific event as well as the recent tragedies in Aurora, Virginia Tech and Tucson, Americans are ready and willing to engage in a meaningful national conversation to determine what we can do to make our country safer. As we come together to determine real and lasting solutions, it is essential that we focus on what will actually prevent further tragedies and be realistic about what won't. My hope is that we respond to this crisis with steady thoughtfulness, keeping our focus on the memory of the victims and our true desire to never see another tragedy like this again.

For more information on my work in Congress, please sign up for my E-newsletter and text message updates and visit my Web site www.mckeon.house.gov. You can also interact with me on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter. Thank you again for contacting me; please feel free to continue to inform me of your views on issues important to you.

Sincerely,
Howard P. "Buck" McKeon
Member of Congress
1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 526-6563
www.fortcouragearmory.com
Old 01-28-2013, 4:10 PM
TheAyatollahofRocknRolla!
CGN Contributor

Thanks for listening Joan Buchanan! Except I didn't contact you re:Healthcare!

Re: Regarding healthcare
Thank you for contacting my office. As your elected representative in the California State Assembly, it is important that I hear from you regarding issues being considered by the legislature.

The information, suggestions, and comments that I receive from constituents are an important consideration in my legislative decisions. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me and please continue to contact my office at anytime to share your opinion. If you need assistance with a state governmental agency, you may call my District Office at 925-328-1515.

Sincerely,

Joan Buchanan
"Let criminals out. Let illegals in. Let boys in the girls bathrooms. Condemn police officers. Abort babies. Pervert the children. Condemn Christians. Accept barbarity in the name of Islam. Overtax the hard working people. Coddle the lazy. That's the liberal way." -from a posting on "Yahoo"
Old 01-28-2013, 4:16 PM

I received this nice form letter:

Dear Mr. "CodaMan":

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.

If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this message. If you would like to comment on legislation, please visit my website and use the correspondence form at https://www.boxer.senate.gov/en/cont...cycomments.cfm.

Ruger SR9c / Ruger LCP / S&W M&P15 / Numerous Long Guns
Old 01-28-2013, 4:27 PM

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control and gun safety. I value your views, and enjoy hearing from my constituents.

I am supportive of the Second Amendment and agree that people generally should be able to own firearms for self-defense and sport. However, I strongly believe it is our responsibility to prevent those people who would use them recklessly or to break the law from getting them.

As with any other dangerous item, people who own guns must be held to the highest standards of safety especially since misuse of firearms is so often lethal. Rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should legislation involving greater regulation of firearms comes before the House of Representatives.

Thank you again for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns. It is an honor to serve you in Congress.

Sincerely,
Linda T Sanchez

---
Same canned response but.... Notice there isn't any talk about PDW's... Interesting.. Probably wishful thinking.. But interesting... Seems an easy win for them... Not ban... Blame Republicans... Their extremist are happy they tried and they didn't have to do anything.
Old 01-28-2013, 4:40 PM

From my Rep. Adam Schiff,

Dear Carlos:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut and your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome your input.

I share your interest in preserving the Second Amendment right to bear arms. I often went hunting with my father when I was young and our family had been responsible gun owners for many years. I continue to enjoy shooting clays and target practice, although I seldom have the time to go to a range anymore. My father taught me to use firearms safely and to have respect for them and the risks that they pose, much like he taught me to swim and respect the power of the ocean.

I do not feel that the Second Amendment precludes us from instituting a system of universal background checks, and most gun owners (and non-gun owners) support the institution of such a requirement. I also feel that assault weapons and high capacity magazines should be reserved for members of our armed services who need them in combat, and realize that our views differ on this matter. Plainly though, we can agree that we must do more to ensure that those who suffer from mental illness get the treatment they need, and do not get access to guns. In far too many of the recent shootings that have plagued our nation, we learn that the perpetrators suffered from some type of mental illness. Currently, mental health records are included in the background check system at the discretion of the states. In many states, those records are rarely if ever updated and there is no requirement to report them. California has strong laws requiring mental health records to be included in the background check database, but many other states, have no similar requirement. I believe Congress should explore this issue immediately.

Let's work together to bring an end to these terrible mass shootings, and at the same time, protect the rights of lawful gun owners to participate in hunting and sport activities and defend their family and homes. It is the fundamental right of every individual to protect themselves and their loved ones. As we work to protect the nation from the proliferation of these mass shootings and everyday gun violence by criminals, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

An on-going job of a Representative in Congress is to help constituents solve problems with federal agencies, access services, and get their questions answered promptly. On my website, I offer a detailed guide to the services my office can provide to you as a constituent. I also encourage you to subscribe to the Washington Update, my email newsletter which contains information on local events, my work in Washington, and even lets you weigh in on important issues through online polls. Visit me online at http://schiff.house.gov to subscribe. Please know that you can always reach me at (818) 450-2900 or (323) 315-5555 or via my website if I can ever be of additional assistance.

Again, thank you for your input. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Adam B. Schiff
Member of Congress
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 PM

I got the same response from Jim Patterson and this one from Boxer:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxa:
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Be assured that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate considers legislation on this or similar issues.
If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, I invite you to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can send a message to me about current events or pending legislation, access my statements and press releases, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Please do not respond to this message. If you would like to comment on legislation, please visit my website and use the correspondence form at https://www.boxer.senate.gov/en/cont...cycomments.cfm.
Old 01-29-2013, 9:11 AM

Default Linda Sanchez Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvidrez View Post
Same canned response but.... Notice there isn't any talk about PDW's... Interesting.. Probably wishful thinking.. But interesting... Seems an easy win for them... Not ban... Blame Republicans... Their extremist are happy they tried and they didn't have to do anything.
She's trying to be non-confrontational in the response by not bringing up anything controversial. Any politician trying to straddle the fence until the last minute would. Trust me, this response has been reviewed by multiple staff in her office and probably by some higher-ups in the DNC. She probably won't say anything different.

IIRC, in the last election she had no rating from the NRA so we really don't know where she stands on the gun control issue. This response certainly doesn't clear up the waters.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
She's trying to be non-confrontational in the response by not bringing up anything controversial. Any politician trying to straddle the fence until the last minute would. Trust me, this response has been reviewed by multiple staff in her office and probably by some higher-ups in the DNC. She probably won't say anything different.

IIRC, in the last election she had no rating from the NRA so we really don't know where she stands on the gun control issue. This response certainly doesn't clear up the waters.
Yah who knows? I've never know her to hide her opinions... Safe Dem seat... She's free to unleash like DiFi and Yee.

Eyes wide open though.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey3Gun View Post
Here's what I got back from Janice Hahn. What did your Rep send you?

"Dear Mr XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me to voice your views on ending gun violence. I am honored to represent you, and I appreciate your active participation in the legislative process. Your input makes our democracy work better. By staying involved, you help me more effectively represent you and our district.

I believe that we must do more to stop gun violence, including increasing awareness and funding for mental health programs. Furthermore, I believe we must take action to institute common sense gun safety measures, including closing the loophole that allows criminals to obtain guns without undergoing a background check. While some of our views may differ on this matter, I hope that you will keep in touch with me on this or any other issue you feel important.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your concerns. To stay informed of my work or sign up for my email newsletter, please visit my website at http://Hahn.House.gov. Or, you can always call my office in San Pedro at (310) 831-1799 or my office in Washington, D.C. toll-free at (855) 328-7332.

Sincerely yours,

Janice Hahn"

This is the exact same response i just received her
Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Same canned response from Sen. boxer plus this from Congressman Kevin McCarthy:
Dear Friend,

Thank you for emailing me your thoughts and comments. I appreciate hearing your views and will respond shortly to any questions you have raised.

If you have signed up on my website to receive e-mail updates from me, your email address will only be used to provide you with periodic updates regarding my work in Congress on your behalf.

Sincerely,

Kevin
Old 01-29-2013, 3:03 PM

Same ole' canned response from Boxer and a few others. But I did recieve an actual letter in the mail today.

From: Curt Hagman, Republican Assembly Floor Leader, Assemblyman 55th district.

January 23, 2013

Dear Mr. ...........

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to any legislation that seeks to further take away or restrict gun rights in the State of California.

As your State Assemblyman, please be assured that I strongly share in your oppostion to any restrictive gun legislation. I am a firm supporter of the Second Amendment which gives us the freedom and right to bear arms. It is outrageous that these kinds of bills are even being considered. We need to focus our efforts on strenghtening the economy and creating jobs, not punishing and regulating law abiding citizens.

I will not give up the fight to protect our basic rights and I hope you will also continue this cause. As always, I will continue to oppose and vote against any restrictive gun legislation.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you. It is an honor to represent you in the State Assembly. Please do not hesitate to call my office at 909-627-7021 should you have any questions or concerns.

Signed by Assemblyman Curt Hagman, District 55.

All I can say is I am glad to have him representing us.
Old 01-31-2013, 5:42 AM
Banned

Rep. LaMalfa is so new he doesn't even have an office here yet, so he's sent me nothing. This is the new CA-1 district.

As soon as he has an office, I'll visit him. When was in the CA lege, I met with him three times on education issues. He's a guy I easily can work with.

CDFingers
Old 02-01-2013, 1:36 PM

Default State Assy Rep Anthony Rendon

I know this thread is for our representatives in congress, but I didn't see a thread for our state reps and thought I would add the following response from my State Assembly Rep, Anthony Rendon to this thread instead of starting a new one. Once again, non-committal.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting my office in regard to gun legislation. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
As your representative in the State Assembly, public safety is one of my top priorities when considering any piece of legislation. Currently, I do not sit on any Assembly committees that will initially consider gun-related legislation.
Although no gun legislation has come before me for a vote yet, please be assured that I will keep your comments should it come before me in the future.
Thank you again for your correspondence. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (916) 319-2063.
Respectfully,
ANTHONY RENDON, Ph.D.
Assembly member, 63rd District
AR:sr/bw

Last edited by madsend81; 02-01-2013 at 1:41 PM..
Old 02-01-2013, 1:43 PM

Sen Feinstein sent me a canned reply...

About voter fraud...no joke
Old 02-01-2013, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfan21 View Post
Dear Kerry:

blah blah blah ......... yadda yadda yadda .............

............. I have joined the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force...................

................. yadda yadda yadda ............... blah blah blah.
Sincerely,

DORIS O. MATSUI
Member of Congress
All of these study groups for preventing gun violence are merely anti 2A front groups, waste a lot of time and money, and don't do jack diddly to prevent violent crime. The respective communities of various representatives would be better served if they were frank with certain constituencies / demographics who are known to have a high number of criminals in their midst - kinda like this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-mnYLPxwtc
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government
Old 02-01-2013, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, the only person I have heard back from is Boxer - the same form letter as everyone else seems to have gotten. I didn't hear from Feinstein or Garamendi (my House rep.)
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government
Old 02-01-2013, 3:25 PM

Dear XXXXXX :

Thank you very much for contacting me. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

Hearing from you is very important to me because it provides me with insight into your thoughts and concerns on the major issues facing Congress today . I look forward to your continued input and will keep your concerns in mind.

Only part of my job is voting in Washington . Another important part of my job is helping resolve problems that constituents are experiencing with federal agencies . If you are interested in any of these services, please co ntact my district office at (818) 501-9200 or visit my website at http:// BradSherman.house.gov .

You can also follow me on Twitter by visiting Twitter.com/BradSherman, or become my fan on Facebook. My official government Facebook page is registered as "Congressman Brad Sherman."

Again, thank you very much for contacting me and sharing your views. I hope to hear from you further in the future.

Sincerely,

Brad Sherman
Member of Congress
Old 02-01-2013, 4:10 PM

The only reply I got back:
Quote:
Dear Rev. Paquette:

Thank you for writing to express your support for protecting Second Amendment rights.

I firmly believe that the right to keep and bear arms is fundamental to our way of life, and no less important than the other rights outlined in the Constitution. Unfortunately, many don't see it this way. Time and again the same folks who vigorously defend a criminal's rights are happy to see restrictions placed on a law abiding citizen's right to keep and bear arms.

I am working hard to stop this trend – Second Amendment rights shouldn't be given second class treatment. I have consistently opposed legislation that would infringe on the right to bear arms, like the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing Act, which would require licensing, photographs, thumbprints, and other intrusive hurdles before a law-abiding citizen could own a gun.

I have also co-sponsored bills which make our Second Amendment rights more secure. One of these is the Citizens' Self-Defense Act, which makes clear a right to self-defense in one's own home. Additionally, I am a co-sponsor of a bi-partisan bill which would modernize or roll back a number of outdated and inflexible firearms laws and regulations.

Thanks again for taking time to contact me. Please don't hesitate to do so in the future regarding this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Tom
Old 02-01-2013, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Boxer, form letters each time not even acknowledging the subject.
Same for Congressman Sam Farr.
Not a word from feinstein.
Zip from Brown or my state reps in Sacramento.
Nothing from Newsome either. But I understand, being too busy being drunk and boinking his best friend's wife. (and they keep getting elected)
I was soooo nice too.
Old 02-01-2013, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

January 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Brown Rock:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts and concerns related to the tragic attack in Connecticut. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this important issue.

Like you, I was deeply saddened when I heard of the horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims of this tragedy.

At the same time, I also recognize that when situations like these arise, the first reaction is to advocate for additional gun control laws and restrictions that may not be necessary. I can assure you that I share your support for the fundamental right of law-abiding citizens to safely and responsibly possess firearms and do not believe in restricting our constitutional rights.

Moreover, I encourage efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and street-gangs, and believe that those who violate our state and federal gun laws should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Please know that I remain committed to upholding the Second Amendment and will keep your thoughts firmly in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Sincerely,
Duncan Hunter
Member of Congress
Old 02-01-2013, 8:34 PM

From out here in HI:

Quote:
Dear Mr. KarLorian,

Thank you for contacting me and sharing your thoughts about guns and gun violence. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

The debate over preventing tragic and unnecessary deaths while maintaining our constitutionally guaranteed Second Amendment rights should not be an ideological one. This is a pragmatic and urgent issue that we all must be concerned with, so we can prevent terrible tragedies, like the one that occurred at Sandy Hook, from ever happening again.

As a Soldier and Military Police Officer, I have received extensive training and have significant experience in handling a variety of firearms. Having firsthand knowledge of the impact of these weapons, and the devastation they can cause, I do not see any role for military-style assault weapons on our streets and in our communities. This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.

There are other policy changes that should occur- this includes increasing school security, shoring up our mental healthcare system, closing the gun show loophole, and requiring background checks on all persons wanting to purchase a gun. These are practical steps that both the public and gun owners have recognized as necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of those who should not own or use one.

I support the Second Amendment and our constitutional right to bear arms. In Hawai`i, we have a rich tradition of hunting, and some of our families rely on it not only for food, but for their livelihood. These responsible gun owners will not be affected by this change in federal policy, and will be able to continue their activities unaffected.

My concern is that we need to do more; we cannot just pass legislation and assume that it will solve the problem. The problems are much deeper. We have to take a holistic approach to protecting our communities. To begin with, we have to focus on resourcing and enforcing the existing laws that we have in place already. We have to come together and find creative ways to get illegal guns off the street. We have to empower the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to do its job. The agency has had five acting directors since 2006 and is in need of a permanent director and stable leadership.

Everyone wants to reduce gun violence, stop mass shooting tragedies, and prevent the 30 homicides from guns that occur every single day in America. I look forward to continuing the conversation with you as we work together to prevent more senseless death.

Sincerely,

TULSI GABBARD
Member of Congress
Canned Response and I scratched my head at:

Quote:
This is why I support reinstating the assault weapons ban, and a ban on high-capacity clips holding more than 10 rounds. These provisions replicate the protections that we have already in place in Hawai`i, and which have played a role in our state having the lowest firearm-related homicide rate in the country.
We don't have an AWB here and our 10 round limit is for pistols only.