Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-21-2018, 4:25 PM

Default Mt. Lion attacks (fatal)

Be careful out there guys when you are doing your scouting, hiking, camping, hunting, as most of us will be doing these activities in areas also populated by big cats. I know its a rare occurrence, but don't put it past a desperate or intimidated lion. This is especially true in a state where they hold protected status even though they are nowhere close to being endangered.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ies/627850002/
Old 05-21-2018, 5:45 PM

with friends like that you don't need enemies
Old 05-21-2018, 6:07 PM
Banned

Default When I hunt this year................................

Folks,

Did a caliber upgrade, 6.5 Grendel to 30-06. Big bears, big cats deserve big medicine. If I have have to defend myself, 175grs of solid copper at 2800fps. A2
Old 05-21-2018, 6:37 PM

I have done stupid stuff when I was younger.
Hiking a mile off the road through the woods in Alaska to the good fishing spot, walking down bear trails, stepping over Bear Sht and walking back out with a trash bag full of salmon over my shoulder. Unarmed and for whatever reason totally unconcerned. I have also hiked the hills of California unarmed and seeing plenty of Cat Scat on the trails and more worried about valley fever and snakes than a big cat attack. I was lucky I never had an issue with wild animals other than close calls with rattlesnakes and I almost crashed into a caribou on my mountain bike one night.

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 05-21-2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Folks,

Did a caliber upgrade, 6.5 Grendel to 30-06. Big bears, big cats deserve big medicine. If I have have to defend myself, 175grs of solid copper at 2800fps. A2

I don't blame you for upgrading you caliber selection. Your 6.5 Grendel would have been sufficient for mountain lions in a defensive situation. If you are throwing black or brown bears into the mix then I would definitely give the 30-06 consideration. I know black bears can be small, but they can also be large as well. You never know what size or temperament of apex predator you will encounter. I'm not advocating you need a rifle every time you go outdoors, but those two mountain bikers would have at least benefitted from some sort of edged weapon, OC spray, or CCW pistol, especially since the lion charged at them initially.
Old 05-21-2018, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

I'll say it; you guys are too afraid of mountain lions.

attacks, and fatal ones for that point, are EXTREMELY rare. Also, for the most part, a 6.5 Creed vs a 30-06 isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

If you want something to be worried of, try freedive spearfishing in CA murky waters. You've got sea lions trying to steal the fish on your stringer hanging off your hip and of course whitey.

Flame on.
Old 05-21-2018, 7:56 PM
Banned

Billy,

State your opinion, no worries. I went from 6.5 Grendel to 30-06. Felt naked, now I feel prepared. A2
Old 05-21-2018, 8:51 PM
CGSSA Associate

100 years my ****ing arse

F them and their lack of wildlife knowledge

I've been lucky when it comes to cougars.....no fun being stalked by one hauling out deer or elk meat on your back but I've gave them a pass too many times.
Old 05-22-2018, 4:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
I have done stupid stuff when I was younger.
Hiking a mile off the road through the woods in Alaska to the good fishing spot, walking down bear trails, stepping over Bear Sht and walking back out with a trash bag full of salmon over my shoulder. Unarmed and for whatever reason totally unconcerned. I have also hiked the hills of California unarmed and seeing plenty of Cat Scat on the trails and more worried about valley fever and snakes than a big cat attack. I was lucky I never had an issue with wild animals other than close calls with rattlesnakes and I almost crashed into a caribou on my mountain bike one night.
I wish I had a picture of "Steve", the yearling grizzly that stole some of our fish last summer in Alaska. He got one from us and probably got one or two from some of the others who were upstream. According to others, the only thing that would send him on his way was bear spray.

We'll be back in the same spot this summer and I don't expect "Steve" will be around. The folks who live in that area full time have a habit of dealing with bears who fish during the day instead of at night when it's their turn.
Old 05-22-2018, 7:19 AM

If there isn't a clear and ever-present risk of being eaten, then it isn't a wild place. Gotta have those reminders from time to time that we're still part of the food chain and not always at the top. BillyGoatCrawler -- right there with ya. Nothing like having your leg bumped by something strange in dark waters to get the blood pumping.

Last year, my hunting camp was situated at the base of a rocky cliff next to a creek. It was littered with the bones of a young deer -- probably from early in the spring. I was "armed" with a stickbow and a knife. In all honesty, it's unsettling. But I still slept just fine. In the end, it's just part of the risk we take. And I'll take more chances with the 4-leggeds than the 2-leggeds any day of the week.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 AM

I coyote hunt in a valley in Mendocino littered with bones, I’ve hunted solo up there and while calling coyotes I have felt a little uneasy at times lol. Be careful out there.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman View Post
Be careful out there guys when you are doing your scouting, hiking, camping, hunting, as most of us will be doing these activities in areas also populated by big cats. I know its a rare occurrence, but don't put it past a desperate or intimidated lion. This is especially true in a state where they hold protected status even though they are nowhere close to being endangered.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ies/627850002/
Or hungry lion!
Old 06-11-2018, 8:56 AM

Default Very hard lesson.

This is why I made my son buy a hand gun since I know at some point he will be going out hunting on his own.
Of course he bought a .357.
Old 06-11-2018, 9:18 AM

99% of the time you'll never see it coming.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Very hard lesson.

I think they are like sharks. All my years body boarding never saw one but I knew they were there. I could look for a week and never see a lion but when I least expect it, that's when it will be there.
Old 06-11-2018, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
I'll say it; you guys are too afraid of mountain lions.

attacks, and fatal ones for that point, are EXTREMELY rare. Also, for the most part, a 6.5 Creed vs a 30-06 isn't going to make a noticeable difference.

If you want something to be worried of, try freedive spearfishing in CA murky waters. You've got sea lions trying to steal the fish on your stringer hanging off your hip and of course whitey.

Flame on.
No flame but the statistical reality you cite says more.

All of the people who were NOT attacked by mountain were no where near mountain lions....we don't have that situation as outdoorsman.

The validity of the perceptions that each of us have about mountain lion safety (whatever they are) are changing.

The populations of a potentially dangerous predator are being deliberately exploded and to go into the woods with a 1976 perspective on them is silly.

The deer population is crashing and the mountain lion population is expanding their range and growing, lions need meat.....it's a math thing.

Pronouns: "Dude" and "Playa".

https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

I was born under a wandrin star.