Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Jan 28th Results

Folks you can find the Preliminary January 28th Results at the following link:

January 28th XTC Preliminary Results
Old 02-02-2012, 6:21 AM

Thanks for posting the results.
Old 02-02-2012, 6:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Super windy conditions that day? Dennis' scores usually give me an idea on how bad the weather was for a match.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 02-02-2012, 11:14 AM

LOL, no adding of points. I will try and be there at the next match. I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-06-2012, 7:21 PM

whoo hoo! I got the lowest score of the match!

Thanks ted Brown for your outstanding gunsmithing work! 9 fail to fire costing me 12 saved rounds!

I'm real pleased with the results! even more pleased with the customer service after the fact, the bull**** excuses, and failure to respond to issues!

again 9 light primer strikes ending in 9 failure to fires and 12 saved rounds!

real happy with the $3,700.00 I spent on you building me a custom rifle!

reloaded all new ammo, havent shot since, we shall try again next match! if same thing happens I think I will drive to oragon and jam this rifle up Mr. browns back side! Had more FTF in 1 match than i have had in my entire shooting life compined!

anyone wanna buy a rifle?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

And this gun worked fine during your load development?

Old 03-08-2012, 6:07 AM

Only fired rifle once before this match. Apox 10 rounds and had 2 FTF's then also.
Haven't fired since. Made new ammo, took rifle apart looked at firing pin, reciever bridge, checked head space w go no go.
90 rounds, 9 months for build, and aprox 11 ftf's due to light primer strikes.
Old 03-08-2012, 6:34 AM

Load development won't fix light primer strikes correct? Primers are not seated low.
Old 03-08-2012, 6:42 AM

That is correct.
Old 03-08-2012, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by berndog View Post
Load development won't fix light primer strikes correct? Primers are not seated low.
No, but I was curious if you had actually tested this rifle to see if it was fully functional before firing it in a match.

This is an AR? If you have light primer strikes, I'd check to see if the firing pin is being obstructed within the bolt carrier and if it was protruding enough through the bolt face when fully down.

Old 03-08-2012, 8:47 PM

M-14 platform

Checked bolt face, Checked receiver bridge, checked firing pin. Can't figure WTH!
Did notice weapon seamed not to lock into full battery. Smith said I was "riding the charging handle." NOT!
Match smatch! I wasn't shooting for score. Shooting to have fun. Wasn't really concerned with score. First time with this weapon and this platform. A match is just a different name for practice right? Scores will come. I know I can shoot the eye outa flee at 400 yards! JK! Haven't shot this or any other weapon for distance for many years. Getting back into the game. I'm just pissed at the build! If ya had Sean the rifle after I got it after 9-10 months you're be pissed to! This FTF issue is just 1 of about 12 issues I had with the build!
I will try again this month with new ammo and see what happens. If it doesn't miracle it self into a fix I will be looming for some advise on a smith to send this thing to! It's NOT going back to the guy who built it! I wouldnt have him build me a dog house!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Just pull my target faster, I didn't have any ammo issues.
Old 03-11-2012, 8:41 AM

I believe you!! I am not worried about it. I just want to get back out for some more trigger time. I hope that my builder has my new rifle ready so that I can get some zeroes on it.
Old 03-13-2012, 7:45 PM

I did check each and every round when I loaded them. OAL was 2.800" that's .010 under SAAMI specs.

But you are correct I have since checked the rounds and found that they in fact are contacting the rifling inside the barrel and not allowing the rifle to go into battery.

I made a dummy round and kept seating it until the bullet didn't touch the rifling. I ended up having to seat the rounds to 2.750". This seams to be quite short being .050 below suggested OAL suggested by Seirra and .070 short of SAAMI specs.
I'll shoot the hell out of it next match and see what happens. Good observation on your part. I think this thing is short chambered myself.
As for slow butts, it was a non issue to me! I wasn't setting any records, and I was there for snap I, fun, and to get some good data! You did fine! But you'd better pick it up next time around or Beavis will have a heart attack! LOL

As you said and told me I shot the spotter 3 times I think at the 600. Means. The rifle will shoot a good group when I do my part. Every round I fired at the 6 was called correctly and the dope adjustments I made did as advertised. I used quite a few rounds between dope adjustments wanting good data and not making wild as guesses.
Being the first time I have shot for distance in 15 years, 1st time with this rifle, this load and 1st match I ever shot I'm not dis pleased!

Now the suspected short chambering and the aprox 12 other issues I had with this rifle when I got it from the smith do piss me off!
Old 03-13-2012, 8:25 PM

I did check each and every round when I loaded them. OAL was 2.800" that's .010 under SAAMI specs.

But you are correct I have since checked the rounds and found that they in fact are contacting the rifling inside the barrel and not allowing the rifle to go into battery.

I made a dummy round and kept seating it until the bullet didn't touch the rifling. I ended up having to seat the rounds to 2.750". This seams to be quite short being .050 below suggested OAL suggested by Seirra and .070 short of SAAMI specs.
I'll shoot the hell out of it next match and see what happens. Good observation on your part. I think this thing is short chambered myself.
As for slow butts, it was a non issue to me! I wasn't setting any records, and I was there for snap I, fun, and to get some good data! You did fine! But you'd better pick it up next time around or Beavis will have a heart attack! LOL

As you said and told me I shot the spotter 3 times I think at the 600. Means. The rifle will shoot a good group when I do my part. Every round I fired at the 6 was called correctly and the dope adjustments I made did as advertised. I used quite a few rounds between dope adjustments wanting good data and not making wild as guesses.
Being the first time I have shot for distance in 15 years, 1st time with this rifle, this load and 1st match I ever shot I'm not dis pleased!

Now the suspected short chambering and the aprox 12 other issues I had with this rifle when I got it from the smith do piss me off!
Old 03-13-2012, 8:44 PM

Bubbapug

Said you were new to the game of match shooting and 1st time you ever pulled butts.
Just to ease your mind I will tell you this. The Marines try an never have 1 person pulling targets along! Why? Because it's to F'ing slow and can really screw up a a shooters score if you don't pull fast enough!
I could tell ya a story about a young recruit that was pulling alone, because his buddy went to sick bay, and was giving slow butt service. But I won't cause that'll would require me to tell a not so proud story about myself! So i will just say that the DI and I spent some " quality" time together on the red safety line behind the targets!
The 2 changes you intend on making will help you greatly. Another thing to remember is watch the berm for impacts. On rapid fire count the impacts! That way you know that you have the correct number of impacts when you pull the target and it is a hell of a lot easier to see the impact on the berm than it is to see the hole in the target.
Pulling targets sucks! Everytime I have ever done it it has been a workout! I just try and remember that hopefully the same attention and speed will put into pulling my target when I have to shoot!
Old 03-14-2012, 6:56 AM

Did you try factory ammo yet?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM

No haven't tried factory ammo yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm an M1A Armorer and Club President.

My thought is that you cannot get into battery because the brass is not sized correctly. Be sure to use a SMALL BASE DIE when sizing brass for the M1A.

A Full Length Die is not appropriate for this, you must SMALL BASE the brass for this rifle.

Whatever you do, do not try to fire without the bolt fully in battery, if you do you may end up with metal in your face/head.
Old 04-08-2012, 2:12 PM

Are the March 24 results up yet?
Old 04-11-2012, 8:49 AM

Default Was looking for it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
Are the March 24 results up yet?
Looking at my scores in my data book, I'd be happier if they remained unpublished.

Having another go on April 28!