Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-06-2016, 6:23 PM

Hello! Just got an interesting update.

I applied to the Paso Robles Police Department under Chief Burton the other day and heard got a phone call yesterday. According to Police Administrative Assistant Mary Stoholtz, Chief Burton - after consultation with the Paso Robles City Attorne(y)(ies) - has decided to suspend all CCW issuance until after the 9th Circuit Peruta decision.

All applicants will receive a letter in the mail thanking them for their applications and informing them of the chief's decision. Such letters may be taken to the SLO County Sheriff, Ian Parkinson, as part of an application to them.

There are a couple of issues here. The first is that, apparently, Paso Robles PD is no longer issuing permits. If you try to apply directly to the sheriff, you will likely be told to apply through Paso PD first (assuming that you're a resident) and come back later. Thankfully, I was not charged any fees for this non-service.

The second issue I can see is one of legality. Is it even legal for a police department to refuse to issue according to the current state law? I'm reaching out to a firearms specialty attorney to discuss this.

Last edited by bpmitche; 02-06-2016 at 6:29 PM..
Old 02-06-2016, 8:52 PM

Totally legal. The PD can decide either way but the sheriff has final say. Most sheriff's in liberal counties are holding onto your application until peruta is reheard. Ventura and Orange County have gone ahead and started issuing off of the first decision. My sheriff in Santa Barbara said they won't issue a thing until fully forced too.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Also realize that the Police Chief serves at the pleasure of the City Council. Do you think the SLO city council would be A-OK with "shall issue" and "self defense" as sufficient cause?

I don't see anything changing with regard to how the city of SLO operates.
Old 03-06-2016, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

On that note, im off to my 8 hour CCW coarse/certification this morning. Then on to my interview ; )
Old 03-06-2016, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Qualified today. Don't mind the bottom 3 to the right. That was single hand shooting with my left hand, my non-dominant hand.

Last edited by offrdmania; 07-02-2017 at 6:12 PM..
Old 03-14-2016, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: Went in for my interview this morning at the Sheriffs. Had my picture taken, paid my fees, did Livescan fingerprinting and sat down with the under Sheriff for my interview. I actually held my permit for a few seconds to verify all of my personal info was correct on it but it wont be date stamped until the livescan approval number comes in and he told me 8-10 weeks for that.
Its just like buying a firearm; you hold it in your hands, pay for it but then have the 10 day wait except this is 70 days. I guess ill hurry up and wait.

Last edited by offrdmania; 03-14-2016 at 2:18 PM..
Old 03-14-2016, 2:39 PM

Just as a refresher what was your reason you gave them?

How were the sheriff's you worked with and their attitude towards you?

sounds like you are on your way.
Old 03-14-2016, 2:48 PM

I drive (read big rig)truck is sketchy areas of LA and usually carry large amounts of cash... Wonder if that's a good enough reason to get a CCW issued? Anyone have any idea?
Old 03-18-2016, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
Just as a refresher what was your reason you gave them?

How were the sheriff's you worked with and their attitude towards you?

sounds like you are on your way.
Its work related. I carry large sums on me weekly. The under sheriff required the owner of the company I work for to write a letter stating the exact purpose for my need to carry.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Now you have to pressure your city council member who will then, if they're pro-CCW, pressure your city's CoP. If you get a small, group of activists in your city organized, you may be able to get your CoP to readily issue vs. having to get the sheriff of the entire county to liberalize his policy.
Well, it has been a year since I posted that....

Has anyone gotten a CCW issued by Atascadero PD? If so, what was your GC like?

Has anyone in Atascadero organized other gunnies to push their city council members and/or mayor to push the chief of police to liberalize his issuance of CCWs???

Acc to Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lu...r_registration), the voter registration for Atascadero has almost 50% more Repubs than Dems. That means there should be plenty of folks who agree w/more readily issuing CCWs who would be willing to contact their council members, mayor, chief and whoever else is necessary. You are one of the few cities in an anti county where you should be able to get your CoP to issue liberally. If not, you should be able to get your city council and/or mayor to pressure him to liberalize his policy (they control his $$$). If that does not work, they could replace him. (I've got a funny feeling he cares more about his retirement benefits than he does about not issuing CCWs....)

I sure hope you all aren't just sitting on your hands expecting the Ninth Circuit to rule in our favor in Peruta.... We're probably going to lose at the 9th and because J. Scalia is gone, we probably won't appeal the lost to SCOTUS. What are you waiting for???

In LA County:

Torrance PD recently started issuing CCWs:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1170826

West Covina folks are actively engaging the city council members to push the chief to liberalize issuance:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1166812
https://www.facebook.com/CCW4WESTCOVINA/

Glendora folks are also organizing:
https://www.facebook.com/Glendorans-...4722669483246/

Even little La Verne is starting to organize:
https://www.facebook.com/laVerneCCW

I'm confident Fjold would be willing to help you, like he offered to help LA (and SD) folk (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172605). Those LA folk w/Facebook pages will probably be willing to share their "lessons learned" with you too.

It all come down to how much you want a CCW.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-20-2016 at 6:41 PM..
Old 03-20-2016, 9:40 AM

I'm going to re apply in Santa Maria. Should be interesting with all the murders and gang crime now targeting everyone, self defense of one's self and family should be a good cause.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm going to re apply in Santa Maria. Should be interesting with all the murders and gang crime now targeting everyone, self defense of one's self and family should be a good cause.
That's Santa Barbara county, right? Good luck...

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Might as well go thru the process of being shot down to have the option to threaten a lawsuit if something should happen because I couldn't have a firearm. The sheriff's department laughed at me a couple years ago and said even if peruta passed it would be years of lawsuits but they'd hold onto the application indefinitely for me...
Old 03-20-2016, 12:33 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Its work related. I carry large sums on me weekly. The under sheriff required the owner of the company I work for to write a letter stating the exact purpose for my need to carry.
Thanks again for your time and advice this morning. I really appreciate it....
Old 03-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Might as well go thru the process of being shot down to have the option to threaten a lawsuit if something should happen because I couldn't have a firearm. The sheriff's department laughed at me a couple years ago and said even if peruta passed it would be years of lawsuits but they'd hold onto the application indefinitely for me...
I cross posted your posts into the Santa Barbara Co thread where they belong and posted my reply to them there rather than continue to take the SLO Co thread off topic.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post17872891

Last edited by Paladin; 03-20-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Old 03-20-2016, 1:48 PM

Thanks sorry bout that. I work in slo county but live in Santa Barbara county so I follow both.
Old 03-20-2016, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmitche View Post
Hello! Just got an interesting update.

I applied to the Paso Robles Police Department under Chief Burton the other day and heard got a phone call yesterday. According to Police Administrative Assistant Mary Stoholtz, Chief Burton - after consultation with the Paso Robles City Attorne(y)(ies) - has decided to suspend all CCW issuance until after the 9th Circuit Peruta decision.

All applicants will receive a letter in the mail thanking them for their applications and informing them of the chief's decision. Such letters may be taken to the SLO County Sheriff, Ian Parkinson, as part of an application to them.
A chief can enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the sheriff to delegate ALL CCW issuance for city residents to the sheriff: the chief CANNOT legally issue ANY CCWs once they've done that. BUT they can rescind the MOU at ANY TIME to start issuing city CCWs once again.

But that really doesn't matter. The City of El Paso de Robles has the GREATEST Dem:Repub spread, in favor of Repubs, of ANY incorporated city in SLO Co. You've got 45% Repubs and 30% Dems: 50% more Repubs than Dems!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Lu...r_registration

Use that to pressure your city council and mayor to pressure THEIR EMPLOYEES: (1) the city manager, (2) the city attorney, and (3) the chief of police.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paso_R...nia#Government

Remember: the council and mayor hire and fire all of those employees. (Be sure to use Public Records Act requests to get copies of any employment contracts for each of those 3 employees.) The council and mayor control those employee's budgets. You need to get the city council and mayor on your side to get the CoP to: (1) rescind his MOU and (2) to implement a policy of accepting "self-defense" as a sufficient statement of Good Cause for issuing CCWs. Once you do that, they'll can make life miserable for those 3 employees (city manager, city attorney, and chief of police), until each one agrees with them, resigns, or is fired and replaced.

Use the ideas I present in this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172570) and be sure to contact Fjold to see if he'd be willing to help you like he said he'd be willing to help folks in SD (and LA) county. Also, be sure to contact those folks in WC, Glendora and La Verne using Facebook group pages to organize to push their chiefs to issue.

Fjold did it in Lompoc, you can do this in Paso Robles. The only question is are you willing to organize and fight to get a CCW?

Back in early July 2015 I made 5 posts in the OT "707 Banter" thread to try to motivate, guide and help Sonoma gunnies to organize to push your sheriff to accept SD as GC. You should review those suggestions. Use "Advanced Search"; enter "Banter" and "Search Titles Only" in "search by keyword", use "Paladin" as "search by username", and select "Posts" on the lower left in "Show results as". I did 5 posts over July 11th and 13th, with this being the first post:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...r#post16593010

Last edited by Paladin; 03-20-2016 at 6:42 PM..
Old 04-05-2016, 3:20 PM

Has anyone applied to SLO Sheriff lately? and if so how long has it taken for a response?
Old 04-05-2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
There was a Federal lawsuit in 2007 McCloud v. Santa Maria. When Macagni was Chief. There was so much evidence stacked against him that he only gave to his friends. Macagni even admitted he only felt comfortable giving to people he knew. It was a 14th admendment violation. McCloud still lost the suit. The system is that currupt. Only thing good that came out of it was the cost for the city to defend him.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zok View Post
There was a Federal lawsuit in 2007 McCloud v. Santa Maria. When Macagni was Chief. There was so much evidence stacked against him that he only gave to his friends. Macagni even admitted he only felt comfortable giving to people he knew. It was a 14th admendment violation. McCloud still lost the suit. The system is that currupt. Only thing good that came out of it was the cost for the city to defend him.
Yeah i know some of the few that had permits. Plenty of BS here.
Old 05-18-2016, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

I just got the call to come in and pick up my permit. Ill be heading out in the morning to pick it up.
Old 07-17-2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zok View Post
I got my response in 3-4 weeks.
Old 11-30-2016, 3:07 PM

Interviewed 7/18
Got the call to pick up 11/28
Old 11-30-2016, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just got the call to come in and pick up my permit. Ill be heading out in the morning to pick it up.
Congrats!

From SLO's sheriff or a city's CoP? If city, which city?

Could you share w/us an idea of what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail so as to ID yourself? (Do you regularly carry large amounts of cash from rent or other payments to deposit? Carry valuables (jewelry, gold coins, electronic equipment, pharmaceuticals) on your job?)

We want the maximum # of law-abiding CGNers who would qualify under the current standard to apply, but we do NOT want to waste their (and the SO's) time, money & effort in a futile attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumT View Post
Interviewed 7/18
Got the call to pick up 11/28
Congrats!

Same questions for you too.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-30-2016 at 9:36 PM..
Old 11-30-2016, 8:31 PM

County

Good Cause is husband and wife small mobile business that operates at various hours, rural and urban, per customers needs. Therefore, cash, equipment, lack of cell phone reception, personal safety.

And Thank You
Old 11-30-2016, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
County

Good Cause is husband and wife small mobile business that operates at various hours, rural and urban, per customers needs. Therefore, cash, equipment, lack of cell phone reception, personal safety.
Did you BOTH apply? Did you both get issued?

Old 11-30-2016, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
County

And Thank You
Congratulations but... The blatant subjectiveness of who gets to protect themselves and who doesn't reeks.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:02 PM

Congrats. Wish I could protect my family in Santa Maria but SB county wants us to be another sanctuary city. The fact I work in SLO and spend the majority of my time there was no help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Did you BOTH apply? Did you both get issued?
Negative. She is still very much a novice. She is just up to doing chamber checks and non tac magazine changes on a USP. She fell in love with a friends G34, so that is what Santa is bringing. She is not against carrying.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Congratulations but... The blatant subjectiveness of who gets to protect themselves and who doesn't reeks.
Absolutely.

The guys who guard the nuke plant here can't even get one based on self defense with knowledge of a nuclear facility.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:34 PM

Would love to know who he spoke to? I can't remember the officer at the sheriffs department I spoke to on the phone that laughed and said not possible. I will go down and ask for paperwork any how then. Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Negative. She is still very much a novice. She is just up to doing chamber checks and non tac magazine changes on a USP. She fell in love with a friends G34, so that is what Santa is bringing. She is not against carrying.
Well, hopefully before 2018, there will be another "Congrats! " in your future.

Old 12-01-2016, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Congrats!

From SLO's sheriff or a city's CoP? If city, which city?

Could you share w/us an idea of what your Good Cause was like, but not so much detail so as to ID yourself? (Do you regularly carry large amounts of cash from rent or other payments to deposit? Carry valuables (jewelry, gold coins, electronic equipment, pharmaceuticals) on your job?)

We want the maximum # of law-abiding CGNers who would qualify under the current standard to apply, but we do NOT want to waste their (and the SO's) time, money & effort in a futile attempt.

Congrats!

Same questions for you too.
Im county so applied through the Sheriff only.
I deliver large sums to rural areas where law enforcement response times are greatly increased and cell phones have no signal. This combination was good cause.

Last edited by offrdmania; 12-01-2016 at 6:43 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Im county so applied through the Sheriff only.
I deliver large sums to rural areas where law enforcement response times are greatly increased and cell phones have no signal. This combination was good cause.
Application accepted then?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM

FYI - Ian McKnight puts on an excellent class. Very educational.
Old 12-01-2016, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Application accepted then?
Ive had my permit for months
Old 12-01-2016, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
FYI - Ian McKnight puts on an excellent class. Very educational.
I took a class with Dan Wells. A much more thorough class then what you get at Range Masters
Old 12-01-2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Ive had my permit for months
Ah. I misunderstood.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:17 AM

I turned in my paperwork last Wednesday.
I took the class with Ian McKnight last month.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongski View Post
I turned in my paperwork last Wednesday.
I took the class with Ian McKnight last month.
I wonder if the Sheriff's depot knows about your handle here?