Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-13-2014, 2:34 PM

It seems to this honest person that there are two different issues here:

One, raised by Barnstormer-is: is PC 26155 somewhat non-specific as to IA? In other words does it allow for different Law Enforcement Agencies handle CC's? Since section 12050 says Sheriff OR Chief of a Muni....answer seems to be yes.

I would submit the central issue in the case you cite in attempting to set Barnstormer straight was different: The plaintiffs were suing based on their particular issuing authority- the LA Sheriff's- REFUSAL to evaluate the CC application, and the ruling was the Sheriff was shirking his duty to do so. This was the correct ruling, but it could have equally applied to a Chief of a Muni if that is where the applicants had initially applied and were subsequently suing-the ruling was simply specifically addressing the particular agency being sued (in this case LA Sheriff's) lack of action rather than making a blanket statement that ALL Sheriff's at ALL times must process EVERY CC application in their respective counties-if this was the case then no Muni would have any authority to issue on their own-and they in fact do.
Old 02-13-2014, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If a municipality issues LTC, then they MUST process applications.

Sheriff's departments do not have an option to refuse an application for LTC based upon whether or not you have, or have not, applied to your local chief. The courts decision says that the sheriff MUST process the application.

Quote:
(2) While a court cannot compel a public officer to exercise his discretion in any particular manner, it may direct him to exercise that discretion. (1b) We regard the case at bench as involving a refusal of the sheriff to exercise the discretion given him by the statute. Section 12050 imposes only three limits on the grant of an application to carry a concealed weapon: the applicant must be of good moral character, show good cause and be a resident of the county. To determine, in advance, as a uniform rule, that only selected public officials can show good cause is to refuse to consider the existence of good cause on the part of citizens generally and is an abuse of, and not an exercise of, discretion.

The petition before us alleges that petitioners are of good moral character and are residents of Los Angeles County. It is admitted that no inquiry into the existence of good cause has ever been made in connection with the application of these petitioners, or of any other applicant outside the limited group of public officials. It is the duty of the sheriff to make such an investigation and determination, on an
individual basis, on every application under section 12050.
Old 02-13-2014, 5:53 PM

All valid. It is a given Sheriff must process what Muni refuses to- but Barnstormer was not disputing that-all he was detailing was:

Quote:
Barnstormer:I don’t think the authors of PC 26155 intended to be that specific, as far as who the IA should or shouldn't be.
So-the fact a Sheriff by law must process what a Muni does not (or initially rejects) does not bear on the fact the IA can be EITHER a Sheriff or a Muni- depending on circumstances-....Barnstormer was speaking about WHO the IA could possibly be is all.

Well- with this news:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...12/1056971.pdf

Hopefully soon it will all be moot and we can dispense with our micro-examining each other and throw "good cause" and "good moral character" arbitrary determinations by either Sheriff or Muni in the dustbin where they belong- and become shall issue to ANYONE who is a LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN!
Old 02-13-2014, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SLO residents: PM me with your email address if you want a .pdf of the current SLO Sheriff's LTC application.

As HarrisHawker opined above, hopefully the shelf life of this current application packet is very short....

Old 02-23-2014, 7:18 AM

I wonder when the new application will be out? Is anyone headed down to apply now that the ruling has came down? Keep us in the loop, choprzrul!! I'd like to get an appointment date before the list is too long.
Old 02-25-2014, 2:27 PM

I called today and SLOSO is not changing their CCW process at this time. The person I spoke to mumbled about the CA DOJ and justices, and stated that the CA application form has not changed.

BTW, the CCW form can be found here: http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/Records.aspx
Old 02-26-2014, 8:37 AM

Do we legally have to fill out our County form? I thought the only one legally required was the one that calguns posted. Someone go apply and see what happens! My "moral character" might shoot me in the foot and I'd like to see if we can avoid that question after the Richards case.

EDIT: After reviewing the above application, I can't help but think that it is setup for us to fail. It's 25 pages long!! It asks for my traffic violations, letters from employers or partners, GMC and good cause, and prior arrests plus a load of other crap. How can they require these things when CCW is a basic right given to me? If I wasn't in the public eye I would fight this with a good attorney and set the record straight in SLO.

Last edited by SLOCO; 02-26-2014 at 8:50 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change View Post
I called today and SLOSO is not changing their CCW process at this time. The person I spoke to mumbled about the CA DOJ and justices, and stated that the CA application form has not changed.

BTW, the CCW form can be found here: http://www.slosheriff.org/_FAQ/Records.aspx
That is an outdated form. Choperzrul picked up an application in person & scanned it. He can forward it to you. They can beat around the bush all they want... but they will have to conform. I just hope a lawsuit won't e required as it's tax-payer's money that will pay for it.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

SLO Sheriff would prefer that you dial 911 as the criminal shoots you.
Old 02-28-2014, 5:46 PM

Default Grover Beach police chief response

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3#post13552423

I asked Mr copsey, how the recent Appeals Court decision would affect the process here in GB,SLO. I've posted the letter at the above link, with a request for help to discern what is he actually saying.
Old 02-28-2014, 9:08 PM

He's saying he doesn't think the ruling applies to him because he considers "the totality of circumstances in each individual case". Reading between the lines if you put self defense you're going to be asked to justify it, then he's going to deny you.
Old 04-01-2014, 2:29 PM

Just stepped into this thread. Is there any new news or decisions? Any positive results we can learn from? Also a SLO county resident, no city involved for me, I am rural.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: South Orange County, where I regularly provide free training in Estate Planning and Concealed Carry

Thinking about setting up another office and part-time residence in SLO County. Any news on SLO issuance or that of city chiefs in Grover Beach, etc?
http://FreeEstatePlanningSeminar.com
Free CA CCW class: http://guntrust.org
Old 07-08-2014, 8:23 PM

Any news in SLO county yet?
Old 07-10-2014, 1:44 PM

What sort of news are you looking for? Peruta isn't final, SO hasn't changed his position. If you live further out in county territory you have a fair chance, if you live in an incorporated city your chances are slim to none.
Old 07-10-2014, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
What sort of news are you looking for? Peruta isn't final, SO hasn't changed his position. If you live further out in county territory you have a fair chance, if you live in an incorporated city your chances are slim to none.
Unless you are personal friend of the Sheriff's inner circle. Otherwise you are "little people".
Old 07-11-2014, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
Yep live in the county but in Arroyo Grande outside city limits, Is Ian actually issuing permits?
Old 08-29-2014, 6:09 PM

SLO resident going to apply in the next few weeks. I printed what is probably the old application, so I am going to cruise by the sheriffs department and see if there is a new one for me to take home.

No felonies, no traffic issues, former TS/SCI clearance so you know my background is solid.

I currently work inside the SLO city limits but we are moving and will soon be outside SLO city limits. So I can probably state coming/going early/late outside city limits, with valuables, in addition to the transporting to and from range worries. Heck there was a shooting right down the street the other day, I have to think that they can't just maintain that a person might not need to be able to defend themselves.

Thoughts? Advise? I have been training with firearms for the better part of my years, and with my background, I have to think that if I can't get a CCW, then no normal Joe is getting one (unless they can prove immediate and consistent mortal danger = impossible).
Old 09-03-2014, 6:42 AM

nothing huh? No GC letter suggestions? Experiences?
Old 09-21-2014, 1:31 AM

Im looking for slo updates

Atascadero here!

Zipper Club Member Life Member
Old 09-21-2014, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=893452

Watch this thread. When it changes there might be something new for SLO.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM

How will this affect SLO county?
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ghts-restored/
"You are the weapon. The gun is just the tool. Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what is in your hand or between your legs. It matters what is in your head and in your heart." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
Old 11-13-2014, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm55 View Post
Why would a sheriff that ignores an entire Constitutional Amendment pay any attention to some appeals court decision?

Old 11-20-2014, 9:01 PM

If LA is getting close to issuing, SLO cant be that far behind. We are pretty left, but not San Francisco left.

here's hoping...
Old 02-28-2015, 1:40 PM

*NEW* SLO COUNTY APPLICATION (dated December 16, 2014):
http://new.slosheriff.org/images/cms...pplication.pdf

Doesn't this conflict with Lu v. Baca?
"If the applicant lives in an incorporated city within the County, they must first apply through the local police department."
Old 02-28-2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b140a67 View Post
*NEW* SLO COUNTY APPLICATION (dated December 16, 2014):
http://new.slosheriff.org/images/cms...pplication.pdf

Doesn't this conflict with Lu v. Baca?
"If the applicant lives in an incorporated city within the County, they must first apply through the local police department."
Nothing "NEW" about this application. Looks like the same application they've been using for the last several years. Still asking for 3 character references (letters), still asking for a reason other than self-defense (though it seems they worded it differently, they are still asking for evidence of the need for self-defense), still making you apply to the City PD first (illegal), and still denying 90% of applications.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 AM

Has anything changed here? Have worked with people living in smaller cities of the county like Nipomo and Arroyo Grande, and they had just been to a meeting where the sheriff walks them thru properly filling out their ccw applications and good causes to list and what to do from there.

Noticed a part on the application where if you spend a significant amount of time or work in San Luis County then you could apply. I'm going to try since I can't even get a call or email returned from Santa Barbara county or Santa Maria PD
Old 03-01-2015, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
Has anything changed here? Have worked with people living in smaller cities of the county like Nipomo and Arroyo Grande, and they had just been to a meeting where the sheriff walks them thru properly filling out their ccw applications and good causes to list and what to do from there.
From a .pdf for the sheriff's FAQ on CCWs (at the bottom of http://www.slosheriff.org/forms_and_applications.php):

A Concealed Weapon License shall not be granted merely for the personal convenience of the applicant. A position or job classification in itself should not constitute good cause for the issuance or denial of a license. Each application shall be individually reviewed for cause.

<snip>

Each new applicant must demonstrate proof of residence by some type of recognized identification card or driver’s license, and at least one canceled item of current mail (with your name and street address). New applicants are requested to provide at least 3 signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.[that's part of GMC]

If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause pursuant to Penal Code Section 26150 for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported. [that's GC]

Sounds like he's an anti to me....

Quote:
Noticed a part on the application where if you spend a significant amount of time or work in San Luis County then you could apply. I'm going to try since I can't even get a call or email returned from Santa Barbara county or Santa Maria PD
I think that is for a Business based CCW permit, which are valid for only 90 days at a time....

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 03-01-2015 at 7:42 PM..
Old 03-01-2015, 1:51 PM

Well damn that ruins my afternoon. I'm going to research fuller and try to speak to someone on Monday and see if I have any options.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-01-2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
Nothing "NEW" about this application. Looks like the same application they've been using for the last several years.
Hmmm... okay. Well the date the PDF was created is new. The newspaper is reporting the requirement to apply with your city PD first as a policy change:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/02...n-permits.html

"Since 2006, the Sheriff’s Office has processed all applications for permits in unincorporated areas of the county as well as in the cities of San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Atascadero. Other cities in the county traditionally have processed their own.

But due to an anticipated increase in workload and the possibility of lawsuits, all cities will now handle their own permit applications. The Sheriff’s Office will continue to process applications from residents in unincorporated areas."
Old 03-01-2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Well damn that ruins my afternoon. I'm going to research fuller and try to speak to someone on Monday and see if I have any options.
You don't have any options. Even if SLO Sheriff was liberal in issuance (which he isn't), as was pointed out above as a non-resident of the county a 90-day temporary permit for business purposes is the best you could hope to achieve.
Old 03-01-2015, 6:45 PM

Ok. I guess we continue to wait. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Old 03-01-2015, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b140a67 View Post
Hmmm... okay. Well the date the PDF was created is new. The newspaper is reporting the requirement to apply with your city PD first as a policy change:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2015/02...n-permits.html

"Since 2006, the Sheriff’s Office has processed all applications for permits in unincorporated areas of the county as well as in the cities of San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Atascadero. Other cities in the county traditionally have processed their own.

But due to an anticipated increase in workload and the possibility of lawsuits, all cities will now handle their own permit applications. The Sheriff’s Office will continue to process applications from residents in unincorporated areas."
The article goes on to say, "Should an applicant be denied a permit, they can still appeal a city’s decision to the Sheriff’s Office." Hmmm.

Old 03-01-2015, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
"Should an applicant be denied a permit, they can still appeal a city’s decision to the Sheriff’s Office." Hmmm.
Yup. You first get to waste a couple months and a couple hundred bucks getting denied from some city chief.
Old 03-01-2015, 8:48 PM

How do they get to take your money knowing they won't approve you?!
Old 03-01-2015, 9:13 PM

Most agencies don't take fees up front from what I've seen. In fact many want to pre-screen before they even give up the actual application.
Old 03-07-2015, 1:01 PM

Interesting news...
KEYT | San Luis Obispo County Sees Rise in Concealed Weapons Applications
Quote:
Citing a heavier workload, the Sheriff's Department has stopped processing concealed weapons applications for San Luis Obispo, Atascadero and Morro Bay as of February 15th.

With 571 Concealed weapons licenses already active, the Sheriff's Department will still process applications from unincorporated areas in the county.
Old 03-07-2015, 1:09 PM

Saw that as well. Most see it as a bad thing let alone an illegal thing. Trying to divert decisions from elected officials.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Saw that as well. Most see it as a bad thing let alone an illegal thing. Trying to divert decisions from elected officials.
Now you have to pressure your city council member who will then, if they're pro-CCW, pressure your city's CoP. If you get a small, group of activists in your city organized, you may be able to get your CoP to readily issue vs. having to get the sheriff of the entire county to liberalize his policy.

Old 03-08-2015, 1:13 PM

That will work for the more conservative areas like Atascadero and paso robles. No such luck with slo