Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-21-2016, 4:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can confirm that San Benito County is issuing.

I moved my timeline, below, up from an earlier post in case anyone pops in at the end of the San Benito County thread.
7/23/15 - Submitted App
7/28/15 - Received call to schedule interview (7/30). CCW coordinator sounds like a nice guy.
8/ 6/15 - Interview
8/ 7/15 - Livescan appointment - after which the wait begins
11/13/15- The wait continues.
12/15/15 - Contacted the IA. he initially said it's taking a while to hear back, but followed up and DOJ has no record of a Livescan request. turns out the Livescan computer at the local Jail is old and they sometimes have problem submitting Livescans. After two tries the computer has a nasty habit of deleting the data.
1/15/16 - redid the Livescan. Ive lost 5 months. At least this wasn't a DOJ conspiracy.
3/30/16 - Psychological test scheduled for 4/7/16 = DOJ background check ok, took 75 days. Progress!!!
4/7/16 - Took the test. About 540 questions. Finished in 1 hour
4/26/16 - Consult with psychologist. $150 poorer.
7/21/16 - got the call, pickup on 8/1 or 8/2 (IA on vacation for a week)
8/1/16 - License in hand

The part time retired deputy is a nice guy. The five month hit in the beginning of the process was the jail's problem and I should have asked the IA to check sooner. I don't expect the one guy doing all the CCW work to check monthly on why a Livescan might not have come back from DOJ. Basically took 6 months from successful Livescan submittal to getting the ok to pick up call.

Last edited by rdtompki; 08-02-2016 at 6:38 PM..
Old 08-16-2016, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wife now has her CCW
Old 08-26-2016, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post

<snip>

7/23/15 - Submitted App
7/28/15 - Received call to schedule interview (7/30). CCW coordinator sounds like a nice guy.
8/ 6/15 - Interview

<snip>

8/1/16 - License in hand
Quote:
Wife now has her CCW
Can you let us know roughly (w/o giving enough info so as to ID yourself or your misses), what your Good Cause statements were like?

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 08-26-2016, 7:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Can you let us know roughly (w/o giving enough info so as to ID yourself or your misses), what your Good Cause statements were like?
Didn't take much. Basic personal protection plus frequent travel within CA for competitions during which time we might be a fairly attractive targets for theft.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Didn't take much. Basic personal protection plus frequent travel within CA for competitions during which time we might be a fairly attractive targets for theft.
Do you believe they would issue on "Personal Self Defense" alone, assuming one could pass the other requirements?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 08-27-2016, 5:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Do you believe they would issue on "Personal Self Defense" alone, assuming one could pass the other requirements?
I simply don't know. Anecdotally, the IA is apparently working a large number of applications relative to the size of San Benito County. I would assume that a number of these must be of the personal protection or similar variety. Hard to believe these would be "active" if they hadn't passed the initial screening.

I would think if one goes beyond the basic 2A claim, the additional support should be "personal", something connected to your own circumstance as opposed to "the world is falling apart", although it is.
Old 02-19-2017, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I simply don't know. Anecdotally, the IA is apparently working a large number of applications relative to the size of San Benito County. I would assume that a number of these must be of the personal protection or similar variety. Hard to believe these would be "active" if they hadn't passed the initial screening.

I would think if one goes beyond the basic 2A claim, the additional support should be "personal", something connected to your own circumstance as opposed to "the world is falling apart", although it is.
Looks like they're going to put their CCW process online at any time (expected to go live this month):
http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits

Quote:
The Sheriff’s Office is not accepting any new concealed weapons permit applications until February 2017.

A new streamlined process will be in place then.

Thank you.

Old 02-19-2017, 4:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Looks like they're going to put their CCW process online at any time (expected to go live this month):
http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits
That's exactly what my wife was told after she had received her license in November. The retired Sheriff's deputy who was handling the process has since retired from that retirement position and moved out of state. As for GC they did not require anything "special"; Personal Protection or Self Defense appears to satisfy GC.

Last edited by rdtompki; 02-19-2017 at 6:34 PM.. Reason: clarification of GC
Old 03-21-2017, 8:47 PM

Took a really long long time, but I got mine recently. Worth the wait. My recommendation is to apply as soon as you can, and be patient. Great guys working in the sheriff's office, they were always helpful, but they are just overwhelmed by the number of applicants. The sooner you apply, the better.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I moved my timeline, below, up from an earlier post in case anyone pops in at the end of the San Benito County thread.

7/23/15 - Submitted App

8/ 6/15 - Interview

8/ 7/15 - Livescan appointment - after which the wait begins

11/13/15- The wait continues.

12/15/15 - Contacted the IA. he initially said it's taking a while to hear back, but followed up and DOJ has no record of a Livescan request. turns out the Livescan computer at the local Jail is old and they sometimes have problem submitting Livescans. After two tries the computer has a nasty habit of deleting the data.

1/15/16 - redid the Livescan. Ive lost 5 months. At least this wasn't a DOJ conspiracy.

3/30/16 - Psychological test scheduled for 4/7/16 = DOJ background check ok, took 75 days. Progress!!!

4/7/16 - Took the test. About 540 questions. Finished in 1 hour

4/26/16 - Consult with psychologist. $150 poorer.

8/1/16 - License in hand

The part time retired deputy is a nice guy. The five month hit in the beginning of the process was the jail's problem and I should have asked the IA to check sooner. I don't expect the one guy doing all the CCW work to check monthly on why a Livescan might not have come back from DOJ. Basically took 6 months from successful Livescan submittal to getting the ok to pick up call.

What was the total cost it sounds as if if could easily go over $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrunt1833 View Post
How do you put a price on your ability to do what 99.98% of the state is unable to do? I didn't like the price, but I'm now a satisfied ccw holder. Go for it!
Old 03-23-2017, 9:53 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Application is now online.

https://sanbenitoca.permitium.com/ccw/start
Old 05-26-2017, 3:41 AM

The time frame has help a lot with the online process. My wife has applied, (Personal Protection for GC Statement accepted)and got live scan back in (1)week and 2 days !

March 27, 2017- Application submitted online
April 5, 2017- Interview
May 16,2017- 540 question test
August 2, 2017- Psycho exam (scheduled because the doctor is new and needs to take the exam )(Really?!?)
August 14,2017- Permit issued
One thing speeds up and something else is a bottleneck !

Last edited by Moabtj; 08-12-2017 at 6:58 AM..
Old 01-20-2018, 6:20 PM

I see no age requirement listed in the San Benito Sheriff requirements. Does anyone know if the Sheriff issues to those 18-20 years of age?

Before someone tells me you have to be 21 to own a handgun - no, you do not - a parent or grandparent may give a handgun to an 18-20 year old. You must be 21 to purchase a handgun or to be transferred a handgun through an FFL. The only requirements for a parent or grandparent to transfer to a 18-20 year old is that the new owner must not be Prohibited and must have their FSC, and then the new owner files the Intrafamilial transform for with the DoJ.

Second, California PC is silent as to age for a CCW permit holder. California PC only specifies that a minor may be an owner of a handgun.
Old 01-21-2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrunt1833 View Post
I'm in the process now after receiving a letter from the sheriff's dept. 3 weeks ago accepting my good cause to carry.

$20- application fee.
$80- 4 hr. Concealed Carry Course
$2 - DMV Driving Record Printout
$111- Live Scan
$150 ? - Psychological Exam
$180 - Final Application Fee

The retired sheriff handling my app. said he can make this go quickly after submitting all the paper work.

All I need to do now is the 500 something question test at the sheriffs dept. and the Psych. exam.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 01-21-2018 at 6:55 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 2:58 AM

The sheriff called me yesterday and said I should have my permit soon.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me View Post
All I need to do now is the 500 something question test at the sheriffs dept. and the Psych. exam.
So what was the test like? Did you have to do the Psych exam too?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 03-10-2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
So what was the test like? Did you have to do the Psych exam too?
The 567 question test at the sheriffs dept. took me 1 hour 45 minutes.
It's true or false questions with lots of weird questions and repeating questions asked in a different way.

Also had to go to Cupertino for a Psych. exam.That only took 15 minutes.
The Dr. asked how many guns I have, when I started shooting, if I could kill someone, do I have voices in my head telling what to do,do I have anyone treating me,Does my wife shoot, do I take drugs, how much do I drink and few more.

As of Wed. my permit was approved and all I need to now is pay $180 and schedule an appt. to pick it up!

I started this in January.
Old 03-15-2018, 8:07 PM

i will be sending in my application after my ccw class next month.
Old 03-16-2018, 2:44 AM

I pick up my permit on Tuesday.
Old 03-16-2018, 4:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Always good to have more of use about.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM

If I were to apply today or within a week how long till I actually have my permit? I know Fresno has a fast turn around time right now.
Old 03-31-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR18 View Post
If I were to apply today or within a week how long till I actually have my permit? I know Fresno has a fast turn around time right now.
Took me about 2 1/2 months.

I most likely could have got it quicker if I scheduled the written phyc. test and done the live scan sooner.
Its hard to do some of this stuff if you have to work!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM

does multiple residences create a problem?
Old 04-05-2018, 1:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
does multiple residences create a problem?
There have been many threads on this. I'd do a search, but I believe you can only have one principle residence in which you spend the preponderance of your time. You can't have a shack in the San Benito back country and claim it as a residence if you spend 75% or your time in an Atherton palace.

I have no idea how they would know, but unless your an illegal alien you'd be in big trouble if they found out.
Old 04-05-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

See the Signitas Raulinaitis decision involving Ventura County. There the Sheriff's department conducted an investigation as to where the applicant was spending the majority of his time.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Exclamation San Benito CCW

Finally got mine in Feb after some psyche test drama. The Sheriffs dept. is really great and have streamlined their process online. I got a psyche eval that went sideways. I have no history of violence, no traffic infractions (I hold a CDL) and have full custody of my child. Dr. said I was a risk taker(like speeding) and have tendencies toward violence. The Sheriff let me appeal and get a second opinion. The new doc disagreed with the previous one and was confused with his conclusion. She found me "suitable'. If you make a psyche eval appointment, steer clear of Dr. Ragy Slime, he's not a 2nd supporter.

Last edited by REYisKING; 04-22-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by REYisKING View Post
Finally got mine in Feb after some psyche test drama. The Sheriffs dept. is really great and have streamlined their process online. I got a psyche eval that went sideways. I have no history of violence, no traffic infractions (I hold a CDL) and have full custody of my child. Dr. said I was a risk taker(like speeding) and have tendencies toward violence. The Sheriff let me appeal and get a second opinion. The new doc disagreed with the previous one and was confused with his conclusion. She found me "suitable'. If you make a psyche eval appointment, steer clear of Dr. Ragy Slime, he's not a 2nd supporter.
Have you ever thought about a career in LE? You sound like a good fit.

That's probably why the sheriff let you appeal: when he heard that he was thinking that describes most of his officers. Who would go into LE if that didn't have some of that in them.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-22-2018 at 5:15 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Default San Benito CCW

Quote:
Have you ever thought about a career in LE? You sound like a good fit.

That's probably why the sheriff let you appeal: when he heard that he was thinking that describes most of his officers. Who would go into LE if that didn't have some of that in them.
Ha! Thanks. Funny thing is quite a few people form HS thought I became a cop. I have family in LE. Thats someting I should have addressed in my mid 20's. At my mid 40's might be too late for that career. Though it's a rewarding profession and pays well, I see the toll it takes on everyone. Everyone who is connected to that officer takes that sacrifice with him/her. I have nothing but respect for Blue.

Last edited by REYisKING; 04-23-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 7:25 PM

Turned in my application online yesterday and it let me schedule my appointment at the sheriffs office next week. Had to take the day off from work but it’s worth it.
Old 05-01-2018, 6:10 PM

Had a good experience at the appointment-
A couple of things- have your dealer record of sale (DROS) for each firearm that you want on the permit-good cause should be a little more detailed. Self protection is too general
Old 05-29-2018, 2:34 PM

Took the written test. Was just over 2 hours. 567 questions. Just need to make an appointment at the psychologist office. Additional info– they will contact your spouse,employer and the 3 people on your character reference letters.
Old 06-20-2018, 5:42 PM

Complete the in person interview with therapist. Went ok. I could tell the “Doctor” was anti 2A but some of the questions were
How many guns you have
Would you be able to kill someone
How you store your guns
Who do you live with
Do you have voices telling you what to do
Have you ever been arrested
How often you drink
Do you do drugs
What would you do if you couldn’t bring your gun in somewhere
Have you been a victim of domestic violence or had be a victim of violence

Everything on my end is completely done. Hopefully I hear back from the sheriffs department soon

Ps. I believe it helps to have a Utah ccw before applying
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A car View Post
Complete the in person interview with therapist. Went ok. I could tell the “Doctor” was anti 2A but some of the questions were
How many guns you have
Would you be able to kill someone
How you store your guns
Who do you live with
Do you have voices telling you what to do
Have you ever been arrested
How often you drink
Do you do drugs
What would you do if you couldn’t bring your gun in somewhere
Have you been a victim of domestic violence or had be a victim of violence

Everything on my end is completely done. Hopefully I hear back from the sheriffs department soon

Ps. I believe it helps to have a Utah ccw before applying
Mahurkar is your best bet. "raGy sliMe" is a no-go.
Old 07-17-2018, 2:22 PM

Just picked up my permit today. The process took about 6-7 weeks. Probably could of been faster if I had all my ducks in a row. Really nice experience at the San Benito Sheriff’s office.

Old 07-17-2018, 4:19 PM

Wow I picked mine up today too.

Additional notes
Use character references from people you know are available to pick up the phone. If they have to play phone tag it will definitely add a couple of week.

Once the process is complete you will get an email so you can pay the balance. Once that’s done the sheriffs office will call to set up a time for you to go in and get your picture taken and a paper permit an additional one will mailed to you. The paper one you should have laminated since you have to carry both with you
Old 07-17-2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A car View Post
Wow I picked mine up today too.

Additional notes
Use character references from people you know are available to pick up the phone. If they have to play phone tag it will definitely add a couple of week.

Once the process is complete you will get an email so you can pay the balance. Once that’s done the sheriffs office will call to set up a time for you to go in and get your picture taken and a paper permit an additional one will mailed to you. The paper one you should have laminated since you have to carry both with you

Yay!

I’ve been coming back to this feed as I’ve been going through the process. Thanks so much A car for posting about your experiences. You were just a few days before me for everything (interviews, psych test/eval). It really helped me prep for my meetings and made the process much smoother for me.

One thing to add, they took my picture and will be sending a CCW ID card in the mail.

Look forward to doing the renewal process with you in 2 years.

Old 07-18-2018, 6:11 AM

Howdy guys. Picked mine up yesterday as well- bet we were all passing each other going in/out. Bill's a good guy- enjoyed the process and he kept me informed all along, went very quickly too.
Old 07-18-2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom&Liberty View Post
Yay!

I’ve been coming back to this feed as I’ve been going through the process. Thanks so much A car for posting about your experiences. You were just a few days before me for everything (interviews, psych test/eval). It really helped me prep for my meetings and made the process much smoother for me.

One thing to add, they took my picture and will be sending a CCW ID card in the mail.

Look forward to doing the renewal process with you in 2 years.

Thanks for letting me know my notes on the process helped. I really didn't know if my efforts were making a difference for someone. I’m glad they did
Old 07-18-2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Howdy guys. Picked mine up yesterday as well- bet we were all passing each other going in/out. Bill's a good guy- enjoyed the process and he kept me informed all along, went very quickly too.
Crazy how 3 of us got our permits the same day!