Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-24-2014, 4:37 PM

Get your paper work in and get the process started. It takes a while but the Sheriff is approving them.
Old 08-04-2014, 4:03 PM

This thread has been very quite. Has anyone else submitted their application?
Old 01-24-2015, 3:23 PM

Default pending application San Benito

I applied in late September 2014. The initial interview happened pretty quickly. The interviewer was cordial and helpful. I received my preliminary letter soon after but now I am a part of the backlog of applications. There is just one part-time person assigned to the background checks so I anticipate a couple more months of waiting until my application gets his attention. He did encourage me to move ahead with the CCW class while I wait.
Old 01-24-2015, 7:04 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
I applied in late September 2014. The initial interview happened pretty quickly. The interviewer was cordial and helpful. I received my preliminary letter soon after but now I am a part of the backlog of applications. There is just one part-time person assigned to the background checks so I anticipate a couple more months of waiting until my application gets his attention. He did encourage me to move ahead with the CCW class while I wait.
Good luck and keep us posted. I have heard that a large number of applicants for San Benito have been women.
Old 02-16-2015, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG351 View Post
Hi surferscca,
When you pick up your packet there will be a section regarding character. follow that and you should be ok.

I tried using "Self defense and defense of my family" and i was told by the sheriffs dept that it was weak. They want to see something of value $$$$ I was given an opportunity to rewrite it and add in the valuable products that I transport in my vehicle for work. I turned it in last week and haven't heard from them.

Hope this helps.
Does anyone know if the sheriff is now accepting mere "self-defense" as sufficient GC? I ask because their CCW webpage (http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits) now says:

The Sheriff’s Office is aware of the Peruta v. San Diego case recently heard in the Ninth Circuit U. S. Court of Appeals. We have evaluated the outcome and will continue to monitor the issue as it progresses. The standard of “good cause” varies from county to county, and recently has not been a roadblock to our applicants. Please continue to complete the full application packet to include your statement of good cause (emphasis added)

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-25-2015, 4:14 PM

My suggestion is to call the CCW coordinator and ask him.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG351 View Post
My suggestion is to call the CCW coordinator and ask him.
It would be nice if folks who actually live in San Benito Co did such legwork....

Last edited by Paladin; 03-03-2015 at 10:59 AM..
Old 04-15-2015, 10:49 PM

I have a CCW from San Benito County issued in 2013. When I applied initially I used self defense as my good cause. During the interview process they questioned me about my job, if I carried valuables, money, etc. I do. They didn't ask me to re write my good cause but my gauge tells me that the follow up questions about what I do for work were relevant in the issuance of the permit.
Old 05-02-2015, 6:15 PM

Does anyone know if primary residence is required to apply for ccw? I reside in Santa Clara co., but own a small tract of land in San Benito co. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 9:57 PM

Thumbs up Success

I applied late September 2014 and did the LiveScan immediately. Had the CCW class and qualification in Feb, Psych test in March, Psych interview in April, references and family were called in April, and I picked up my license yesterday. About 7 months start to finish for someone with a boringly clean record. Patience and perseverance are key. It was a good experience and the wait time gave me a chance to study the forums here. Very educational...Thanks.
Old 05-10-2015, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedandConfuzed View Post
Does anyone know if primary residence is required to apply for ccw? I reside in Santa Clara co., but own a small tract of land in San Benito co. Thanks!
Your CCW (or not) is based upon your primary residence, not a vacation home and certainly not upon undeveloped land.

If you lie about your primary residence and get caught, besides other legal issues, you will be barred from getting a CCW even if we win Peruta/Richards (gutting GC requirement), due to you no longer having GMC.

BUT, you can legally change your primary residence to a small home you build on your SB land if you change things such as your residence for state and fed tax purposes, voting, DMV, bank statements (Do banks even mail those out anymore?), and other important mail/bills/correspondence, etc. Best to get advice from a lawyer before going this route.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-10-2015 at 8:42 AM..
Old 05-10-2015, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I applied late September 2014 and did the LiveScan immediately. Had the CCW class and qualification in Feb, Psych test in March, Psych interview in April, references and family were called in April, and I picked up my license yesterday. About 7 months start to finish for someone with a boringly clean record. Patience and perseverance are key. It was a good experience and the wait time gave me a chance to study the forums here. Very educational...Thanks.
Congrats!

Be sure to encourage family, friends, coworkers, shooting buddies, etc. to apply and get their CCWs if they live in San Benito or other issuing counties.

If SB does not require both the psych test and psych interview of ALL applicants (reserve officers, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members/politicians), they are vulnerable to a 14th A Equal Protection lawsuit ala Guillory v. Gates/OC.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Your CCW (or not) is based upon your primary residence, not a vacation home and certainly not upon undeveloped land.

If you lie about your primary residence and get caught, besides other legal issues, you will be barred from getting a CCW even if we win Peruta/Richards (gutting GC requirement), due to you no longer having GMC.

BUT, you can legally change your primary residence to a small home you build on your SB land if you change things such as your residence for state and fed tax purposes, voting, DMV, bank statements (Do banks even mail those out anymore?), and other important mail/bills/correspondence, etc. Best to get advice from a lawyer before going this route.

Thanks I appreciate the info and advise!
Old 06-25-2015, 4:31 AM

Talking Just got mine yesterday!!

Started my application in Nov of last year, simple process, sheriff department is back logged.
Old 06-25-2015, 7:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabtj View Post
Started my application in Nov of last year, simple process, sheriff department is back logged.
Congrats!!!

Did you have to use more than mere "self-defense"/"personal protection" as your GC?

Be sure to encourage friends, family, shooting buds, etc to apply for theirs too.

Old 07-14-2015, 6:54 PM

Default GC "Any Lawful Purpose"

Has anyone been successful with the GC being "Any Lawful Purpose"? Recently? In Orange County?
Old 07-15-2015, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Self Defense Group View Post
Has anyone been successful with the GC being "Any Lawful Purpose"? Recently? In Orange County?
Hmm.

First off: welcome, CGN newbie!

Next, if you are asking about GC's that work in Orange Co, this is the San Benito Co thread. You want to ask OC Qs in the OC thread at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352774

There is another thread in another forum where OC folk are discussing the OC sheriff's CCW practices as well at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=912905

Again, welcome and be sure to encourage your fellow OC'ers to look into getting CCWs as well.

Old 07-15-2015, 2:00 PM

I'm a washington resident living and working in California. My washington permit took two weeks and $ 55.00 from the first step in the office to in my wallet. I was going to apply for my california permit just to show others it can be done with some patience. And a good bit of money

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2015, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelkorea View Post
I'm a washington resident living and working in California. My washington permit took two weeks and $ 55.00 from the first step in the office to in my wallet. I was going to apply for my california permit just to show others it can be done with some patience. And a good bit of money
The part I underlined disqualifies you for a CA CCW. The city or county in which you apply for a CA CCW has to be your primary/permanent residence.

Old 07-15-2015, 5:16 PM

Yeah I'm looking into the laws. I was told my work allows for an exception.

Old 07-15-2015, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelkorea View Post
Yeah I'm looking into the laws. I was told my work allows for an exception.

Your work cannot change state law....

You'll have to offer proof to the SO that your primary/permanent residence is in fact San Benito. They'll ask for things like CA DMV address, vehicle registration address, voting address, utilities/mortgage of your San Benito Co residence in your name. If you lie/deceive, that's more than a big "No, no" -- that's a crime.

Make sure you know what you're doing and weigh the risks to benefit ratio....

Last edited by Paladin; 07-20-2015 at 9:06 AM..
Old 07-15-2015, 10:36 PM

Your absolutely right lying on an application would be stupid and criminal definetly not worth it. I've done the research. I'm just waiting for a day off to go to the sheriff's office and ask the right questions

Old 07-19-2015, 6:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm just about done filling out my application. Pretty simple actually. Should have it in to the Sheriff by Friday. Now with the depleted roster I've got to think about a handgun for CCW. Our FS 1911's won't cut it.
Old 07-27-2015, 1:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Can you tell us (w/o giving so much detail as to ID you), what your Good Cause statement was like?

Old 07-27-2015, 1:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I turned in my application today so we'll see how it goes. I listed one of our M&Ps on the DOJ form, but I'll hold off getting something smaller until I get confirmation that my "good cause" statement gets accepted. I've had a "boring" existence so it all depends on the criteria the Sheriff is applying.

If the threshold criteria requires a higher than normal threat environment then most of use are doomed CCW-wise. I'd wear a seatbelt even if the law didn't mandate same; heck, I wear a seatbelt on commercial flights all the time. I do so not because I fear and accident, but because it's common sense to mitigate against high consequence events when it takes so little effort.

Good luck to all with their applications in the queue.
Old 07-27-2015, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
I turned in my application today so we'll see how it goes. I listed one of our M&Ps on the DOJ form, but I'll hold off getting something smaller until I get confirmation that my "good cause" statement gets accepted. I've had a "boring" existence so it all depends on the criteria the Sheriff is applying.

If the threshold criteria requires a higher than normal threat environment then most of use are doomed CCW-wise. I'd wear a seatbelt even if the law didn't mandate same; heck, I wear a seatbelt on commercial flights all the time. I do so not because I fear and accident, but because it's common sense to mitigate against high consequence events when it takes so little effort.

Good luck to all with their applications in the queue.
And good luck to you!

You sound like me: avoiding situations where trouble is likely to occur. I enjoy living a peaceful, low-drama, "boring" life!

Be sure to update us here on your progress.

Old 07-27-2015, 8:34 PM

Palladin: I used self defense plus I am on the road alone quite a bit, trips to remote areas and I have had some scary encounters while out there. No longer young and pretty, but a perceived "soft target" for the wackos, truck thieves or horse thieves nevertheless.
Old 07-28-2015, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone know if our county submits the DOJ application as soon as received? The reason I ask is that the FS M&P on my application is not what I would carry, but I don't want to buy a compact or sub-compact unless I know the Sheriff has accepted my "good cause". And I sure wouldn't want to take a CCW class with something I wasn't going to carry. (I do have a call into the CCW coordinator as well).

Update: Spoke with the CCW coordinator and no problem subsequently adding a gun. Just need to work the gun problem in time to put 1000 rounds down range before the CCW class which is probably 5 months from now. I'll also need to have the gun in hand in order to work up a practice load that is closer to factory; our steel challenge loads are very soft.
7/23/15 - Submitted App
7/28/15 - Received call to schedule interview (7/30). CCW coordinator sounds like a nice guy.
8/ 6/15 - Interview
8/ 7/15 - Livescan appointment - after which the wait begins
11/13/15- The wait continues.
12/15/15 - Contacted the IA. he initially said it's taking a while to hear back, but followed up and DOJ has no record of a Livescan request. turns out the Livescan computer at the local Jail is old and they sometimes have problem submitting Livescans. After two tries the computer has a nasty habit of deleting the data.
1/15/16 - redid the Livescan. Ive lost 5 months. At least this wasn't a DOJ conspiracy.
3/30/16 - Psychological test scheduled for 4/7/16 = DOJ background check ok, took 75 days. Progress!!!
4/7/16 - Took the test. About 540 questions. Finished in 1 hour
4/26/16 - Consult with psychologist. $150 poorer.
7/21/16 - got the call

Last edited by rdtompki; 07-30-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Old 07-29-2015, 9:07 PM

rdtomki: i saw your post in another section asking about the three letters of reference required. Request letters from reputable people who can address your character, temperament and self-control honestly and favorably. Expect that they will be called and interviewed on the phone. Also expect that your spouse/family will be called and asked about your suitability, home gun storage practices, legal problems, etc. The two phone interviews I got feedback on were pretty informal and both parties enjoyed talking to the interviewer. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 9:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can those who have taken CCW training from one of the San Benito County listed individuals post their impressions in this thread? The forum dedicated to training is all over the place.

Actual training requirements appear to be minimal in terms of the firearm, itself, the legal aspects being foremost, but I was a bit surprised that one of the classes was 4 hours and 20 rounds.
Old 08-07-2015, 9:30 AM

I took my CCW course from Dave Matthews. I highly recommend Dave he is very familiar with the San Benito CCW process.
The class i took ended up to be 9 hours which went fast, also Dave will not end the course or leave the range until everyone qualifies.
I checked the website http://www.firearmtraininginstitute.com/index.htm for classes and didn't see any scheduled.
Contact Dave (408-506-1884) to see if he has any classes planned.

Last edited by JRG351; 08-07-2015 at 9:37 AM..
Old 08-09-2015, 7:58 AM

Default CCW trainers for SBC

"Can those who have taken CCW training from one of the San Benito County listed individuals post their impressions in this thread? The forum dedicated to training is all over the place"

I took mine from Wayne Summers at Coyote Clays. It was a good experience. The qualifying required 50 rounds fired for each handgun you want to list on your permit, at varying distances with time limits. I don't recall the % accuracy required. Anyway I think this exceeds the Sheriff's minimum standards and I like that. It was fun and challenging.

I have taken other handgun classes from him too. He is low key, professional and very safety conscious.
Old 08-11-2015, 8:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't doubt there is a backlog and I'm sure the Sheriff's office is on a tight budget, but I'm wondering why we don't hear more from backlog members in this thread. Calguns.net is the go-to place for California gun owners and, specifically, this thread is the go-to place for those SB denizens in the CCW queue.
Old 08-17-2015, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Course of fire - San Benito?

I believe our county is 20 or 30 rounds and I also believe the max distance is 15 yards. How many rounds and time per string at each distance? Assume this is done from the draw? How large is the scoring area, A-zone size?
Thanks,
Old 10-19-2015, 11:36 AM

Hey guys. I applied for SBC CCW last week and I was able to do the Sheriffs interview when I dropped off the application. During "interview" the Sheriff goes through your application and has you sign several pages. When I filled out my reason for wanting a CCW I wrote to protect myself and family. Interviewer said that works but hinted that I should add more to it. Asked me if I like hunting and camping so I added that to my reason for wanting a CCW. I did my livescan fingerprints the next day at the county jail. I need to get a DMV driving record printout turned in which I plan on doing today. Sheriff said it has been taking around 6 months to get permit and they get about 80 applications per year. I will post updates through the process.
Old 12-17-2015, 5:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sent an e-mail to Capt. Lamonica, listed as the IA POC on the SBC website, asking him if he had any info on the current DOJ cycle time. It's been four months for me which is not excessive, but doesn't hurt to ask. After all, how long does it take to find absolutely nothing. All DOJ has to do is call the Chinese and get a copy of the latest SF-86; they have everything. If they have hacked OPM, they certainly have hacked the CA DOJ. I'll post back what the good Captain has to say.

Final Status - Livescan computer dumped last August. I've redone the Livescan but lost 5 months.

Last edited by rdtompki; 01-27-2016 at 7:36 PM..
Old 01-27-2016, 7:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Wife has applied for her CCW

Wife dropped the application off, had the interview and has the Livescan request in hand. Not bad for a day's work. Eventually, she'll need an appropriate handgun. She only has 9mm 1911s, a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super and 9mm M&P. The ideal gun would be an alloy Commander 1911 in 9mm (or 45 ACP for that matter), but there is nothing on the roster. The Kimber is a nice gone (once it gets back from Kimber warranty land), but it's heavy. She has more than 25K rounds through her full-size 1911 so it's a platform with which she is very familiar.
Old 03-30-2016, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I now have an appt. for psychological test on 4/7. Livescan+DOJ check took 75 days.
Update: actual exam approx. 15 minutes FWIW.

Last edited by rdtompki; 05-10-2016 at 6:50 PM..
Old 04-22-2016, 12:33 PM

I just finished the process. Took a little over 6 months from start to finish.
Old 06-02-2016, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49ers68 View Post
I just finished the process. Took a little over 6 months from start to finish.
I suspect I'll be in right at 11 months, but I lost 4 months when my original fingerprint and background check disappeared into the ether. The IA is moving things along quite well. Most of the delay is out of their hands.