Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-10-2016, 1:26 PM

Default Chiappa 1886 Lever action 45-70 26 inch octagon barrel

Just going to put my two cents in regarding my Chiappa that I just purchased recently. I was hesitant to buy this rifle because I have read some negative reviews in the past. Mostly failure to cycle issues. I also read some good reviews on other websites that contradicted these complaints. In the end I opted to buy the Chiappa which is basically the 1886 Winchester with a 26 inch octagon barrel chambered in 45-70. What made me buy this in the end was an 1886 Winchester if you can find one in decent shape do not come cheap, A Winchester can go any where from 5K to 15K and up depending on the quality and shape and history of the rifle. They are also hard to find at your local gun store. Gun Broker does have them on occasion though. These new Chiappa 1886 rifles are also hard to find at the local store. You have a better chance seeing a Zebra walking down the street. I found mine on Gun Broker.
When I finally received my rifle after nearly waiting a month due to transfer and waiting for my rifle to get out of 10 day gun jail I was surprised to find an amazing looking rifle. Mine came with a fancy Walnut stock that was nicely fitted and was of excellent quality. The rifle had case hardened receiver,butt plate , lever, and end cap. The blue on the barrel was excellent and the overall look of the rifle was of excellent appearance.
I took my rifle to the range and was in for an even greater surprise because ultimately this was the most important part of my opinion of this rifle.
I used several different factory loads. Mostly cowboy action loads. It cycled all of them flawlessly and the lever action was really,really ,smooth. For an out of the box gun with no extra work done to smooth the action it was incredible. The trigger broke cleanly with no creep and I would say it was about 4-6 pounds. I dont have a trigger gauge but I have some other rifles with Timney Triggers that break about the same. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. The rifle was very accurate at 100 yards. I put some clays on a hill and they were easy to hit. I will have to put a paper target up next time to see what type of groups I can get.
I love this rifle and I am glad Chiappa is making them because I dont know of anyone else who is. If you like western lever guns I would really look at one. They are not cheap however. They run about $1400 TO $1600 depending on where you buy it. Anyway thats my two cents . Keep your powder dry and have fun shooting!
Old 02-10-2016, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be its a nice looking rifle (hint)

I put a Chiappa 322LA Deluxe on Layaway at Buds over 2 months ago. I just can't bring my self to pay the rest if the money for it.

Happiness is a warm gun