Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-27-2016, 1:58 PM

I pull the trigger and bought the MVP LC in 556 with scope.

I like the look and its really good value. Just the scope, bipod and chassis are 1k in value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Doubtful. I don't want to spend custom money on someone else's custom. If I'm spending custom money I want the customizations that I want.

The guns that were really worth something "back then" are still being made like they used to. The "tool" rifles of yesteryear are less useful than the "tool" rifles of today.
Which "tool" rifles would you be referring to? I only count Rugers, Rems, Weatherby's, Savages, Brownings and Winchesters in my thoughts on this, and all of them are just as useful hunting today as they were back then.

Not really arguing here. just trying tp point out that a great many of the regular posters here who hunt extensively, do NOT use late manufactured rifles in their hunts abroad (Africa etc...). Must be some reason, other than they were available, that they chose those rifles/actions to build upon, especially when one considers the hunts they have regularly shared on this site cost in the $10k+ range. If the newer rifles are so much better and hold more value, why do the people who would most benefit from that, choose otherwise? Perhaps there's a stark difference between what hunters want/expect, as compared to bench/target shooters? I don't know, just throwing it out there.
Old 09-27-2016, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
a great many of the regular posters here who hunt extensively, do NOT use late manufactured rifles in their hunts abroad (Africa etc...).
Must be some reason, other than they were available, that they chose those rifles/actions to build upon,
The reason they use them is because they already have them and they work good enough for the job at hand.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 09-27-2016, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Get out your boat and paddles.
Old 09-27-2016, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Which "tool" rifles would you be referring to? I only count Rugers, Rems, Weatherby's, Savages, Brownings and Winchesters in my thoughts on this, and all of them are just as useful hunting today as they were back then.
Rifles that don't have "grades".

Purdey, H&H, Griffin & Howe, etc. are not tools, they are art. Art appreciates in value, tools generally do not.
Old 09-27-2016, 7:23 PM

Milotrain, I sure can't argue that those rifles you mentioned aren't works of art. A new Holland and Holland (or any other "art" piece) is unlikely to be worth more 10 years from now, than it was purchased for. The same cannot be said for the rifles I mentioned. They have not only maintained their value, but have indeed increased their monetary value 100X over. My statement still stands that the older rifles I mentioned, the old "tools", have indeed increased in value and desirability. That can't be honestly disputed and clearly supports my answer to the OP.

Last edited by roostersgt; 09-27-2016 at 7:33 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Compare the tool rifles prices to their prices new after inflation.

Not including rarities like original Winchester lever guns obviously. I think that the Win70 (pre 64) is one of the nicest bolt action "tool" rifles made. The quality verges on custom and there is a lot of 'merica feeling behind them. They should appreciate the most of the non Weatherby "tool" rifles I suspect. Looking at collectorsfirearms the expesnive, well sorted pre-64 Win70s are between $1500 and $3000.
A current Win70 safari express is $1500 and a super grade is $1300. Those pre-64s didn't go up in price nearly at all.

The Remington BDL msrp is about $1000 today
The equivalant 700s msrp was $114.95 around 1960
With inflation that 700 BDL costs $950 today. Find me a "used" 700 from the 60s even being offered for more than $1500 without being in $500 of wood or having $500 of scope on top of it.
Old 09-27-2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Milotrain, I sure can't argue that those rifles you mentioned aren't works of art. A new Holland and Holland (or any other "art" piece) is unlikely to be worth more 10 years from now, than it was purchased for. The same cannot be said for the rifles I mentioned. They have not only maintained their value, but have indeed increased their monetary value 100X over. My statement still stands that the older rifles I mentioned, the old "tools", have indeed increased in value and desirability. That can't be honestly disputed and clearly supports my answer to the OP.
Inflation from the 1950s to now is approximately ten fold. The rifles are worth 2-3x more than they were new once inflation is accounted for.
Old 09-27-2016, 9:03 PM
Calguns Addict

The Remington 660 has increased it's value and some 660s have really increased.
Old 09-27-2016, 9:06 PM

C&R bolt actions typically hold their value
Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM

As long as they keep printing money, and the buying power of the buck keeps falling, everything will increase.. Not in value, but in cost....