Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Mine also just got kicked back - they want me to confirm that 'receiver only' really means they are receiver only and not assembled. And they want pictures and caliber. They also want pics for my assembled AR pistols (non-AW).

Trying to decide what I should do - tell them to pound sand on the pics or just get it over with and send them. The AR pistols have Hogue mag locks that are not readily apparent as mag locks so I may have to send pics of the action open showing them installed or even a video showing the button cannot be pressed with the action closed.
How do they want the pics? Electronically or by mail, or email?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 12-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Email. I went and got them all engraved so I was legal then reg’d them.

I’m kinda worried now as you mentioned the manufacturing piece. Great. Not sure what to do. I thought I was being proactive getting them serialized and vol’reg. I doubt there’s anyone at doj I can speak to.
Did you indicate anywhere they were 80%? Maybe you were just mistaken and you meant 100%, and got confused as to the nomenclature.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Did you indicate anywhere they were 80%? Maybe you were just mistaken and you meant 100%, and got confused as to the nomenclature.

I just selected frame only and checked yes to self built.

I don’t understand at all now. I got them serialized and tried to reg them so I can eventually build them and did this before July 1st.

Are they saying in order to self build I need to get a serial from them now?

what is rebuilt title car mean
Old 12-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I just selected frame only and checked yes to self built.

I don’t understand at all now. I got them serialized and tried to reg them so I can eventually build them and did this before July 1st.

Are they saying in order to self build I need to get a serial from them now?

what is rebuilt title car mean
You submitted your app before 7/1 so that note doesn't apply to you.

I'm thinking probably you got confused about the difference between 80% and 100% receivers and that you probably actually had 100% receivers all along. You might be able to argue your way out of needing to send them pictures, too. Some people have reported successfully doing so.

(also what's with the link at the end of your post??)

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-05-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Link is a stupid add the site puts on I use to embed photos.

Regarding mix up of 100% and 80%, Yeah I agree. However, some photos I submit will be of 80% yet serialized. Not much I can do aside from make shavings this weekend hahah!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Looking like all my vol’reg are being kicked back asking for photos, caliber specific and barrel length. Many i don’t have caliber or barrel length yet cuz they aren’t built.

Many of mine, more than half, are still 80%. I just had them serialized and reg’d them in case I milled them.

Only 4 a built and all featureless. Wonder if submitting photos of just receivers milled and stripped will work?

1911s are all just serialized 80% frames. Technically not a firearm yet.

Any idea on how I should proceed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Mine also just got kicked back - they want me to confirm that 'receiver only' really means they are receiver only and not assembled. And they want pictures and caliber. They also want pics for my assembled AR pistols (non-AW).

Trying to decide what I should do - tell them to pound sand on the pics or just get it over with and send them. The AR pistols have Hogue mag locks that are not readily apparent as mag locks so I may have to send pics of the action open showing them installed or even a video showing the button cannot be pressed with the action closed.
I believe there's a post or two in this thread where the applicant pushed back noting that photos are not a requirement of the law and their apps went through afterwards.
Old 12-05-2018, 2:26 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
I believe there's a post or two in this thread where the applicant pushed back noting that photos are not a requirement of the law and their apps went through afterwards.
Thanks! If you have a link or post number that would be awesome - I will dig around in the mean time and see if I spot them. I knew people were pushing back but had not heard if anyone succeeded.

Quote:
How do they want the pics? Electronically or by mail, or email?
I am sure they want me to attach the photos to my applications using the CFARS website, the same way as done for assault weapons.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 12-05-2018, 4:44 PM

I was under the assumption I needed to reg anything 80% and 100% before July 1st that was home built and planned to be home built. Reason for getting them engraved/serialized.

Not talking AW as the few that are built are featureless.
Old 12-05-2018, 5:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I was under the assumption I needed to reg anything 80% and 100% before July 1st that was home built and planned to be home built. Reason for getting them engraved/serialized.
Before July 1 2018 if you want your own serial number and a very low registration cost.
After July 1 2018 if you want the state to issue a serial number and have a much higher registration cost and a 10 day time limit to get your engraving done and pictures submitted.
Old 12-05-2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Before July 1 2018 if you want your own serial number and a very low registration cost.
After July 1 2018 if you want the state to issue a serial number and have a much higher registration cost and a 10 day time limit to get your engraving done and pictures submitted.
Thats what I did, I engraved/serialized it all and vol'regd all late June. However, many are not complete built firearms, just some milled frames, receivers, and some 80% that I engraved thinking I needed to. Those can be milled but the 1911 frames are not a simple weekend job.
Old 12-05-2018, 5:45 PM

These comments are giving me cause for concern. For my finished lowers, I submitted with the following parameters:

Firearm Type: RIFLE
Category: SEMI-AUTOMATIC
Receiver Only: YES
Old 12-05-2018, 6:36 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thats what I did, I engraved/serialized it all and vol'regd all late June. However, many are not complete built firearms, just some milled frames, receivers, and some 80% that I engraved thinking I needed to. Those can be milled but the 1911 frames are not a simple weekend job.
What you mean to say is that you built them into finished receivers (100% finished) and volreged them but they are not yet finished into complete functioning rifles, that's all good. Trust me, this is what you mean to say, since an actual unfinished receiver that is still 80% cannot be registered as a firearm.

It's difficult to get through the nomenclature, as 80% has come to mean a self built firearm that is already complete in the sense that it's a synonym for a home build.
Quote:

Old 12-05-2018, 6:38 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktac View Post
These comments are giving me cause for concern. For my finished lowers, I submitted with the following parameters:

Firearm Type: RIFLE
Category: SEMI-AUTOMATIC
Receiver Only: YES
That's cool, why are the concerned? Finished stripped receivers could be volreg'd before July 1st 2018 no problem.
Quote:

Old 12-05-2018, 7:01 PM

Been pouring over this thread, perhaps I mixed something up. Regardless, it appeared that some people were having issues with apps for finished, unassembled receivers. Good to hear my submission was correct.

The additional concern lies in the timing. Folks who submitted months ago are just now receiving replies where I just submitted this week and obviously facing a close Jan 1st deadline to complete this registration process... unless I've misinterpreted that as well.

That Judge Benitez quote is dead on.

Quote:
That's cool, why are the concerned? Finished stripped receivers could be volreg'd before July 1st 2018 no problem.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
I pushed back and haven't heard a thing for 6 weeks.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:26 PM

I read through most of this thread and I am still confused. I complete a 80% lower and built it into a AR pistol back in 2013 as a compliant single shot. And later converted it to semi auto. Currently it is a semi auto AR pistol with the new mag locks installed. I am now requesting a serial number from the DOJ because I waited till the last minute. I am a bit confused, for category, should this be considered single shot or semi-auto? Also in this configuration can it have a flash hider?
Old 12-06-2018, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl95115 View Post
I read through most of this thread and I am still confused. I complete a 80% lower and built it into a AR pistol back in 2013 as a compliant single shot. And later converted it to semi auto. Currently it is a semi auto AR pistol with the new mag locks installed. I am now requesting a serial number from the DOJ because I waited till the last minute. I am a bit confused, for category, should this be considered single shot or semi-auto? Also in this configuration can it have a flash hider?
Semi auto. But put in the notes that it was built a a single shot and converted to semi-before 1/1/15. Because it has a fixed magazine, it can have evil features including a flash hider.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 12-06-2018, 11:25 AM

So I just got my serial numbers for the usna but they didn't specify which one was for my ar pistol. Does it matter or are they just all generic serial numbers? I'm surprised at the fast turn around since it's only been 4 days since I applied.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepoop4u View Post
So I just got my serial numbers for the usna but they didn't specify which one was for my ar pistol. Does it matter or are they just all generic serial numbers? I'm surprised at the fast turn around since it's only been 4 days since I applied.
I would assume it somewhat matters. Since you can't legally convert a rifle into a pistol, it could pose a problem if your pistol's serial number is registered as being a rifle.

The serials are listed on the letter in the same order as you had them listed on the form. Of course, that's only really helpful if you had all your guns listed on one form - otherwise, you don't know in what order they processed your multiple forms.

If you still can't figure it out, then it's worth a phone call to DOJ.

*This is why it's recommended that you use different model names for your different types of guns. If your pistols are called Pistol-15's or Pistol-47's and your rifles are called Rifle-15's or Rifle-47's, for example, it would be really easy to see what serial goes with which gun.

ETA: the above was true when we had to get our serials via snail mail, I'm not exactly sure how the new online process works.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-06-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM

The pistol serial number should have a p at end of fmbus$&@P
Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jager56 View Post
My fmbus serials are sequential with the last letter starting with O and ending S lol. With hindsight 20/20 you would think when you select pistol in the drop down menu it would specify it in the serial# assigned to you. I'll give them a call and post my findings.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Mine didn't

Has anyone else gotten pistol serials that end in P?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM

That’s interesting they change the letter of last character. Unless you gave your pistol a Model name then that should tell the difference.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:00 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
That’s interesting they change the letter of last character. Unless you gave your pistol a Model name then that should tell the difference.
They must have revised their serial numbering system recently. Mine (from April) are all FMBUS####. No letters other than the "FMBUS" at the beginning. Maybe they finally realized more than 9,999 people would be getting FMBUS serials, and decided to start using letters too.

Old 12-06-2018, 1:08 PM

Yeah then they must have started using letters after July. I did my process for USNA in Mid September still waiting for a word on that. Status is “images in review”
Old 12-06-2018, 1:17 PM

I just called and after 15 mins of surfing the hotline menu to find an operator a nice lady answered and told me that the serial# are issued in the order in which you applied. She also said that you should be able to see the transaction file with your firearm linked to your USN. I wasn't able to on my end but she could see it on her end after getting my name and email. Anyone else have that problem? When I click the USNA transactions I just get the application links and nothing else.
Old 12-06-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
They must have revised their serial numbering system recently. Mine (from April) are all FMBUS####. No letters other than the "FMBUS" at the beginning. Maybe they finally realized more than 9,999 people would be getting FMBUS serials, and decided to start using letters too.
yah mine are 2 numbers and 2 letters. Thanks for everyone's help
Old 12-06-2018, 2:40 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepoop4u View Post
yah mine are 2 numbers and 2 letters. Thanks for everyone's help
I'm kind of surprised they aren't issuing people 400-character serial numbers just to mess with us

Old 12-06-2018, 3:35 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Just got all my letters on 6 outstanding 80% volreg's done at various times going back to the beginning of the year, several from last minute at the end of June. Got the confirmation of submission via email about two weeks ago and all the letters today.

Took a long time but I finally got to prove to myself the advise I gave was correct about using volreg to avoid AB857 marking requirements. Saved me the trouble of deleting my old information and paying a huge amount of money to get their info on there.

Good luck to everyone else. They waited for nearly 9 months on some of the applications and made it as awkward and difficult as possible and had me sweating over Jan 1st. No replies to many emails and "report an issue" messages.

If they granted my volreg from June 29th I don't see why they won't grant it for everyone else, even the later ones. Turns out the rumors that they would not grant the later ones was more FUD. I did not submit pictures and they still processed everything from several AK's, HK's, a Cetme, and an Uzi. All rifles.
Quote:

Old 12-06-2018, 5:02 PM

Just got an email after 3 or 4 days saying I will be provided with further information on getting my serial number, but hey here's some information regarding self made pistols.... everybody else get this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Just got all my letters on 6 outstanding 80% volreg's done at various times going back to the beginning of the year, several from last minute at the end of June. Got the confirmation of submission via email about two weeks ago and all the letters today.

Took a long time but I finally got to prove to myself the advise I gave was correct about using volreg to avoid AB857 marking requirements. Saved me the trouble of deleting my old information and paying a huge amount of money to get their info on there.

Good luck to everyone else. They waited for nearly 9 months on some of the applications and made it as awkward and difficult as possible and had me sweating over Jan 1st. No replies to many emails and "report an issue" messages.

If they granted my volreg from June 29th I don't see why they won't grant it for everyone else, even the later ones. Turns out the rumors that they would not grant the later ones was more FUD. I did not submit pictures and they still processed everything from several AK's, HK's, a Cetme, and an Uzi. All rifles.
Did they ask for pictures? If they did what was your reply?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2018, 5:58 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmedave View Post
Did they ask for pictures? If they did what was your reply?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Nope, never asked and not provided. I described them as featureless with fin grips and compensators in the comments, they didnt ask any questions at all.

I even made a mistake saying 2 were made by Special Weapons (HK's) when they were just made from SW flats and should have been entered as "U S". I even said so after I realized the error and submitted it as "report an issue" and still no kickbacks, they just accepted it.
Quote:

Old 12-06-2018, 8:49 PM

Good news.

This AM received the Serial Number Issued Notification on the CFARS site. Next step is obv engraving of serials then pics and resubmits.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktac View Post
Good news.

This AM received the Serial Number Issued Notification on the CFARS site. Next step is obv engraving of serials then pics and resubmits.
For which build?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 AM

Nothing elaborate, just some finished lower receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
For which build?
Old 12-07-2018, 7:46 AM

Just received my email notification about 1 am that a serial number transaction had taken place, but then cfars said it was down when I went to check. Luckily it's back up and they've given me my serial in 5 days.

One issue I just realized I completely screwed up on is that I misspoke and marked it as built in 2016 instead of 2015. The downside of 14 hour days and 2 kids under 5 and no sleep...not sure if I should go on there and try to modify or if it will start the entire thing over. I selected semi auto but explained how I built it as a single shot with zero round sled pinned and no gas tube but if I'm off by a year I may have just effed myself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but as I understand it, for FMBUS builds, anything already built needs to have pics and app filled out and sent within 10 days AND be finished by 12/31/18. FMBUS new builds need to be completed in 30 days. Don't know if you can register a receiver and not build it.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:03 PM

You can reedit the info when you submit the photos
Old 12-07-2018, 1:28 PM

Can you put the serial number on another piece of metal, then epoxy that piece of metal to the firearm ?
Old 12-07-2018, 1:32 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Can you put the serial number on another piece of metal, then epoxy that piece of metal to the firearm ?
Short answer no.
Quote: