Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 12-06-2018, 7:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
However, just discovered that the Bareknuckle is "in stock" at BladeOps for $65 w/free shipping.
Yup that's a BUY! Also the 1776 LINK in M390 under $80... but I'll grab one of the Bareknuckles. USA made kershaws are nice. Was watching this one when specs were released. It has been a while. EBAY slowed way down minimizing my collection, but for whatever reason I sold $500 today in folders and one MMHW.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Yup that's a BUY! Also the 1776 LINK in M390 under $80... but I'll grab one of the Bareknuckles. USA made kershaws are nice. Was watching this one when specs were released. It has been a while. EBAY slowed way down minimizing my collection, but for whatever reason I sold $500 today in folders and one MMHW.
Yes, I just noticed that there seems to be a new generation of USA made Kershaws (including the Bareknuckle 7777, the Link 1776 and the Knockout 1870) being produced. The M390 link is an unusual offering that I'll buy. Even though the blade steel doesn't matter that much to me, it matters to others and should enhance the value of the knife when it is eventually discontinued, as it seems happens to all Kershaw/ZT knives.

Going to buy them all as well as the blue/black Natrix XL, even though the XL is made in China, because it pairs w/my black G10 Natrix and is a member of the ZT0777 spin off club. Already placed an order for the Bareknuckle w/BladeOps and am going to order the Link and Natrix XL from Knife Works, where I just purchased the Spyderco Amalgam. May or may not buy the Knockout 1870, because it looks a lot like the Link and doesn't have a better steel option; cheapest price for it is on eBay.

PS: Congrats on the sale of your 3 knives on eBay.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-07-2018 at 4:52 PM..
Old 12-06-2018, 9:26 PM

I picked up a Kizer Sheepdog Mini a month ago. I’m buying a Benchmade Bugout tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Merry Christmas to all who contributed to this fine thread! This beats leafing through the on-line catalogs. Now on to the important business of the day.

Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to me.

About $20-25 on Amazon. I sharpened it. It is really useful for woodworking tasks. I've had it for a while, but I wanted an excuse to post the image.

I like to walk around, and I find walking around indoors to be, I don't know, somewhat restrictive. For some reason. So I like to walk around outside. Hence the Boker Burnley Cub. 3.9" N690 blade, with green canvas micarta scales and a leather sheath. $100. A fixed blade works for walking around outside, and around 4" is very comfortable and useful for my EDC fixed blade.

I've already bought way too many cheap knives in my life. Way too many. But when I saw the siren song (I saw a song? What?) of the "jade G-10" on this Eafegrow CH3002-G10, I was helpless. I was like a turtle on its back, helplessly thrashing around and gasping for breath. That is exactly what it was like. That jade G-10 is seductive, I tell ya. Seductive.

$30 later, here is 3.7" of D-2, and the aforementioned jade G-10. The knife is heavy, with a broad blade and a neat flat grind, and a thick spine that provides for a very strong tip. This knife zips through hair and paper, the action feels slow and ponderous because of the weight of the blade, but the action is curiously reliable and curiously smooth. If the blade is indeed D-2, and the heat treat was good, this is probably the best $30 blade I ever saw.

Blade Headquarters exclusive Mini Kwaiken, 3" VG-10 blade, with green canvas micarta scales and brass bolsters and spacer. Like every other Mini Kwaiken I've bought (4), the action is a little stiff at first but breaks in within a few hours to a smooth and reliable operation for a comfortable small knife. This one is heavier than the carbon fiber and G-10 versions. A semi-rural or rural pimp might carry this knife. $100.

Here is a Kizer Limited Edition Ning Shoal framelock, #Ki3469A1. This knife sports a 3" M390 stonewash blade, with gray titanium handles. Smooth opening, heavy blade for its size, it looks like a nice knife to carry. After handling it for a few hours, I can't imagine this knife ever failing, although the tip is a little fine for my taste. I prefer a more reinforced, traditional tanto type point. My first Kizer, and my first venture out of the Benchmade world, really. $140.

They all cut hair and paper very authoritatively, right out of the box, even the Eafegrow!!! I intend to put that blade to the test shortly, because if the edge retention is anywhere near acceptable, those little $30 knives will make outstanding "gifts" to folks on whom I don't want to spend a lot of money!!!

Last edited by Khromo; 12-07-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Old 12-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khromo View Post
I saw the siren song (I saw a song? What?) of the "jade G-10" on this Eafegrow CH3002-G10, I was helpless. I was like a turtle on its back, helplessly thrashing around and gasping for breath. That is exactly what it was like. That jade G-10 is seductive, I tell ya. Seductive.

$30 later, here is 3.7" of D-2, and the aforementioned jade G-10. The knife is heavy, with a broad blade and a neat flat grind, and a thick spine that provides for a very strong tip. This knife zips through hair and paper, the action feels slow and ponderous because of the weight of the blade, but the action is curiously reliable and curiously smooth.
Great blade shape on that Eafeng. Grind looks slicey.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:10 PM

The blade is at least 0.9" wide for much of its length. The spine is 0.16" or 5/32" or 4 mm. to within an inch of the tip. It weighs 4.5 ounces or 128 grams.

It feels to me to be a fairly heavy duty blade, with a fairly tight lockup to a fairly heavy handle, with thick steel liners. The balance point is about an inch from the top of the scales, but it feels a little front-heavy to me. Some might like that, I don't particularly.

Overall this feels more like driving a truck than a passenger car, but I don't care because I intend to use this knife to plow some fields. More like cutting a few twigs and small branches in the garden, but there are always cardboard boxes rolling in, boxes that need to be cut up. I'm not going to try pounding it through big tree branches, but the knife feels like more of a hard worker than a slicer. I will treat this $30 knife like a $30 knife deserves to be treated, and report back!

I'm anxious to see if it holds an edge as well as D-2 blades from respected U.S. manufacturers.

Last edited by Khromo; 12-07-2018 at 1:21 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I will treat this $30 knife like a $30 knife deserves to be treated, and report back!

I'm anxious to see if it holds an edge as well as D-2 blades from respected U.S. manufacturers.
Yeah your description reminds me of the 0909. That's a brute, but so is the Contego in M4 with Axis lock.

I don't know that many USA knives that use D2, might be some. It probably compares ok to something like 154CM. Looks like some OKC, Benchmade, Esse, Medford use D2. My take on it is it must be dirt cheap and sounds better than ABC12345689MOV.
Old 12-07-2018, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

GEC 15 got here:

Old 12-07-2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
How do you like the K2?
Just received the K2. Man, it's a HUGE BEAST of a knife!

Bigger than the already big 100 Pacer that I also just received. The blade of the K2 is just a touch longer than the 100 Pacer but it's much wider which on a sq inch basis makes it look much larger.

Athough it's an all Ti knife, the K2 is only 1 oz heavier than the 100 (6.2 vs 5.2) but it feels much heavier than that despite the fact that the 100 has no liners (just an G10 w/a inlaid liner lock), while the K2 is a full Ti frame lock. No lock stick on the K2 because the lock lever is really stiff and you have to pull it back fully to release the blade; clearly a 2 hand job which the one-handed crowd would not be happy with.

Anyway, the Szabo, K2 and 100 Pacer are pretty much as "big" I want to go. Here's a pic of them:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg K2100Szabo.jpg (101.1 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-09-2018 at 5:14 PM..
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No lock stick on the K2 because the lock lever is really stiff and you have to pull it back fully to release the blade; clearly a 2 hand job which the one-handed crowd would not be happy with.
Cannot picture that... two-handed because a frame lock is too stiff. That's an odd design.
Old 12-08-2018, 2:04 PM

Artisan Waistline Linerlock, 4" D-2 blade, with black G-10 handles, #ATZ1805PBKC, $60.

Artisan Waistline Framelock, 4" S35V blade, with titanium handles, #ATZ1805GGNS, $188.

Artisan Waistline Linerlock 4" D-2 blade, with green G-10 handles, ATZ1805PGNF, $53.
Old 12-08-2018, 2:24 PM

Khromo: Love the design of the Artisan Waistline. The black G10 was the 1st Artisan that I bought ( now have 5), but I prefer to carry the Shark which has a more practical blade shape for an EDC.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-08-2018 at 6:58 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Cannot picture that... two-handed because a frame lock is too stiff. That's an odd design.
I'm not sure it was "designed" that way. It just IS that way.

It's a very heavy lock lever and I can only close the blade by holding the blade "safely" (usually in a hanky covering the blade) w/one hand and pushing the lock lever away w/the other. I always use two hands to close a blade (except an auto OTF) anyway. So, it's no big deal to me. It just requires a bit more effort to close the K2 than other liner/frame lock knives.

Frankly, I don't think this is a "bad" thing, since I think it makes the lock that much less likely to fail. It certainly is no more difficult/time consuming to close it than it does a Tri-Ad lock back on the variety of Cold Steel knives that I also own which can be difficult to release b4 closing the blade and impossible to do 1 handed.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-08-2018 at 6:59 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Khromo: Love the design of the Artisan Waistline. The black G10 was the 1st Artisan that I bought ( now have 5), but I prefer to carry the Shark which has a more practical blade shape for an EDC.
I agree. The blade seems to be about as long as would fit in the handle, with a reasonably thick spine. But I would prefer a wider and slightly less upswept blade for EDC. So it is a great package, maybe with a less great blade design?!?!

They do have very smooth actions and strong lockups. And they are beautiful and comfortable in the hand. But we're talking about a knife, right?

I'm going to put the green one to work, and see how I feel about the whole package after some serious, sweaty cutting. I have some tough hedges that need to be trimmed. Maybe this deeply curved blade has cutting properties I haven't seen yet.
Old 12-09-2018, 6:37 AM

Yesterday I stopped by Little Johns . A new collection came in and I bought a Buck 110 2 dot made from 1974-1980 new in box . Last time I bought a 2 dot was 1981 at JC Penny.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Just picked this up....

Brous Blades “Sinner”

Attached Images
File Type: jpg D246C35B-AFFA-435A-8FAE-00D3D5E50F51.jpg (19.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 12-09-2018, 6:14 PM

Recently bought/ordered (but have yet to receive) 4 fixed blade Spydercos: The Ronin (fixed blade version of the Yojimbo), Reverse (like the ZT/Kershaw Talon folders) and Street Bowie & Street Beat ( both Perrin designs). Will post pics of them as a group when I get them.

I'm not a big fixed knife fan but bought these because they are considered effective for self-defense and tactical fighting use. The only other fixed blade knives that I have that are worth mentioning are the Gerber Mark I and Gerber "Loveless" Guardian (both early 90's vintage) and a Ka-Bar Hellfire which all have a self-defense orientation as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Here are some pocket knives I bought for myself.

A Kizer Rattler framelock, with a 3.5" CPM-S35VM blade and titanium handle. I've loved recurved blades ever since I got a Blackjack Folding Mamba a million years ago. This is a handy almost-little pocket knife that feels like it will handle a pretty heavy workload. $132.

A Kizer TomCat Splinter framelock, with a 3 3/8" Wharncliffe blade and rainbow titanium handle. I ordered a 3404, and the box they sent said 3404, but this one must have been put in the box by mistake. I've never cared much for this blade style, but this knife is light and handy, and the blade looks very useful, so I just decided to keep this one and order another 3404! Merry Christmas for $117!

My recent positive experience with an Eafengrow convinced me to try a couple more. (To be honest, I was captivated by their "jade G-10" handles, and I like having a few hard-use D-2 blades around to keep my sharpening chops up!) Here are a folding tanto with a 9CR18MOV blade and jade G-10 handles ($29), and a Chris Reeve-inspired (or a Chris Reeve knock-off, if you prefer) folder with a beautiful D-2 blade and titanium handle ($42). Both have the smooth, upswept point seen in more traditional tanto grinds.

These Eafengrow knives fascinate me. They operate very smoothly, the fit and finish exceed expectations, and the designs are beefy and useful without being too fat and clumsy. I abused one of them on some eucalyptus trees and Algerian ivy the other day, and the edge cut well, and held up as well. To be expected from properly heat treated D-2, but in this case the knife got from China to San Diego and it only cost $29.99 shipped (with Amazon Prime). If they are actually made of the materials advertised, it is difficult to understand how they can deliver them for so little. As a lover of knives, this is wonderful. As a lover of folks in the United States having good jobs, it makes me concerned.

Back in the days when I had a job, I used to hear about a practice called "dumping". I never could comprehend what looked like a crazy gamble, but I'm not very bright, so...

Last edited by Khromo; 12-10-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I agree. The blade seems to be about as long as would fit in the handle, with a reasonably thick spine. But I would prefer a wider and slightly less upswept blade for EDC. So it is a great package, maybe with a less great blade design?!?!

They do have very smooth actions and strong lockups. And they are beautiful and comfortable in the hand. But we're talking about a knife, right?

I'm going to put the green one to work, and see how I feel about the whole package after some serious, sweaty cutting. I have some tough hedges that need to be trimmed. Maybe this deeply curved blade has cutting properties I haven't seen yet.
You're going to cut hedges w/your green Waistline? Huh??? Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not. If you're serious, I'm dumbfounded.

The kwaiken shape of the Waistline is ideal for really only one thing -- knife fighting, which is what it was designed for. The blade will be a little bloody but should still be pristine after you slash and stab the life out of an attacker with it but I'd really hate to see the condition of the blade after you're done w/the hedges. LOL!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You're going to cut hedges w/your green Waistline? Huh??? Not sure if you're just being sarcastic or not. If you're serious, I'm dumbfounded.

The kwaiken shape of the Waistline is ideal for really only one thing -- knife fighting, which is what it was designed for. The blade will be a little bloody but should still be pristine after you slash and stab the life out of an attacker with it but I'd really hate to see the condition of the blade after you're done w/the hedges. LOL!
I usually have the cheapest 4" MORA with the basic sheath that has the plastic clip. That sheath's clip drops right in to my short's pocket for an outside the pocket fixed blade while I am in the yard. Cuts grass and soil away from sprinkler heads, weed stop, dandelion roots, cardboard, opens bags of
soil or wood pellets,, etc... no pruning. If there's pruning I have clippers, shears, hedge trimmers, weed eater, etc... but I use a 8" recurve chopper or a Scrap Yard Chophouse Thickcut a lot to chop off dead palm leaves and hack Elephant grass away from the lawn border. I have a cheap 15" Cold Steel Kukri Machete on top of the fridge if a chopper is dull. Right tool for the job, but sometimes you want to have a little fun in the back yard. Chopping anything substantial with a folder is not my idea of fun. Batoning one is just asking for an gushing wound or ruining a nice Ti framelock.
Old 12-10-2018, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I usually have the cheapest 4" MORA with the basic sheath that has the plastic clip. That sheath's clip drops right in to my short's pocket for an outside the pocket fixed blade while I am in the yard. Cuts grass and soil away from sprinkler heads, weed stop, dandelion roots, cardboard, opens bags of
soil or wood pellets,, etc... no pruning.
A folder CAN do all that too. Something like a PM2 is great at cutting weed stop, and clearing sprinkler heads, but you COULD also use a good utility knife like a:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...=utility+knife
Old 12-10-2018, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

7777 got here. TOUGH detent, which I love. If these are bearings, they need oil. Smooth enough though. Super fast because of the fingertip peeling detent. Wicked blade shape, great grind, perfect on center, LIGHT AS HELL. 3.56 ounces. 100% keeper.

Old 12-10-2018, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^^
Also zero blade play. Like I said could be smoother but I'm about to CLP it unless I can find my clipper oiler bottle. This is the USA Kershaw to get IMHO... so light and not slippery like a AL Link.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
That's the $53 D-2/G-10 model, not the $188 S35VN/titanium number!

It's a torture test to see how a new moderately priced knife performs! Not the way I would normally trim hedges.

And I want to dull the blade so I can get a taste of sharpening D-2!

I live in suburbia. I get bored cutting up cardboard boxes. Opening envelopes is just not doing it for me.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's a torture test to see how a new moderately priced knife performs! Not the way I would normally trim hedges.
I guess it depends on the hedges. Mine couldn't be trimmed with a folder, maybe a leaf at a time. Need pruning sheers for branches.

Get some whittling wood. Thick cardboard really is the best test - make confetti, see how long it takes before the knife drags.
Old 12-11-2018, 4:16 PM

E%
Quote:
7777 got here. TOUGH detent, which I love. If these are bearings, they need oil. Smooth enough though. Super fast because of the fingertip peeling detent. Wicked blade shape, great grind, perfect on center, LIGHT AS HELL. 3.56 ounces. 100% keeper.
Just got mine.

Can't say that I'm "in love" with it but it's a nice knife that is light, has a longer than 3.5" blade (KAI says it's 3.5 but it's slightly longer than that), fits well in my hand and has a deep pocket clip. Deployment is a bit stiff. Played w/the pivot tension and lubed w/Breakfree but it's still stiff. Hopefully, it'll lighten up w/use.

Thought I was "done" w/Kershaws but this is a nice addition. I also bought a Natrix XL. Not "in love" w/it either; the knife is light and the blade is even bigger/longer but the handle does not fit as well in my hand because it's too wide and the angular edges are uncomfortable. Just bought the XL to pair w/the Natrix and Bareknuckle which together w/the ZT0770 are all in the 0777 spin-off family pictured below.

Of the 4, I actually like the size/feel of the Bareknuckle best and am currently carrying it in my pocket around the house right now. Then it's a toss up for me between the Natrix and the 0770 with the nod going to the Natrix as an EDC (which I have actually carried b4) because of its lower cost.

I also bought a M390 Link (1776BLK) and plan to buy a M390 Dividend (1812BLK) as well as a USA Blade Made exclusive M390 Knockout (1870BLSW) because they all use M390 steel and are made in the USA, which makes for an interesting subgroup. The Knockout also is probably the precursor to the Natrix and Bareknuckle which incorprate the "knockout" liner-lock subframe feature which I believe originated w/the Knockout. I'll post a separate thread w/a photo of them after I get them all later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BareknuckleZT1.jpg (101.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg BareknuckleZT2.jpg (100.5 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-11-2018 at 6:37 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 4:34 PM

I also thought I was done buying ZTs (for awhile) but I saw a fairly rare ZT0360SKD for sale on eBay (after getting beat out for another one at auction which actually saved me a few $'s) and bought it mainly because it fit in as an interesting variant of the group of Ken Onion designed ZTs that I already own.

The 0360SKD is pictured at the top of the group above the 0350ST, 0350SW, 0300BW and 0200. Of these 5 knives, I like the 0200 best because I like the blade length/shape the best and it fits my hand the best. It fits in the front pocket of my cargo pants w/o problem but I wouldn't carry/use it because of its cost. However, if I did, I'd prefer to carry it in a sheath mounted on my belt or a molle vest (rather than in my pocket) because of it's weight/mass.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZT Onions.jpg (100.6 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-11-2018 at 8:04 PM..
Old 12-12-2018, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The 0360SKD is pictured at the top of the group above the 0350ST, 0350SW, 0300BW and 0200. Of these 5 knives, I like the 0200 best because I like the blade length/shape the best and it fits my hand the best.

That's a lot of ONIONS. My eyes are burning!
Old 12-12-2018, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I also thought I was done buying ZTs
You didn't like the looks of the 0055, but have you actually flipped it? I think if you handled it you would buy it. It is new, but IMHO it is more like a Swiss Watch or precision machine than most other ZT's... I guess I felt that way about my 0452 and 0450 when they were new, but they seem clunky compared to a 0055.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You didn't like the looks of the 0055, but have you actually flipped it? I think if you handled it you would buy it. It is new, but IMHO it is more like a Swiss Watch or precision machine than most other ZT's... I guess I felt that way about my 0452 and 0450 when they were new, but they seem clunky compared to a 0055.
Well, if I'm not attracted to the appearance of the knife, it really doesn't matter how it functions. Of course, function matters too but it's secondary to looks for me. So, if I can't stand how a knife looks, I'll just never buy it. Gotta set limits somewhere.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well, if I'm not attracted to the appearance of the knife, it really doesn't matter how it functions. Of course, function matters too but it's secondary to looks for me. So, if I can't stand how a knife looks, I'll just never buy it. Gotta set limits somewhere.
True that. That's why I got rid of all my Onions hahah. I don't count the Tanto Blurs since they are not fat recurves. I might still have a VaporII or III somewhere but I dunno where it got to.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM

That's a pretty Kershaw. Similar blade to my design.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
True that. That's why I got rid of all my Onions hahah. I don't count the Tanto Blurs since they are not fat recurves. I might still have a VaporII or III somewhere but I dunno where it got to.
That's why I like the 0200 best. A nicely proportioned blade, much like the Shallot just much larger. The 0300 is pretty ridiculous but would be great for chopping wood if that's what you needed to do w/it. LOL! The 0350s are ok for general cutting use but are pretty useless as stabbers as is the 0300. The SKD Tactical designed 0360SKD is the probably the most practical of the 5 for EDC use. They just cut the top off of the 0350 blade following the grind line to the tip which creates the pointy tip and makes it look more conventional.

I've bought a couple of older Onions (the Boa and Cyclone) but have passed on the Vapor, Storm and Whirlwind because I just don't like the way they look. Am still on the fence regarding the Spec Bump (1596), which is not all that different than the more current Speed Bump (1595) as well as the Offset (1597) because people want too much $ for them. Also still looking for a silver Shallot (have 3 black blems) but people want too much for one of those too.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-12-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM

If you like BIG trench styled fixed blade weapons, the Knife Center has a pretty great deal on it's Cold Steel Chaos Tanto, Kukri and Stiletto Tactical Fixed Blade Knife Bundle Set - 80NT, 80NTK, 80NTST - for just $99.95 w/free shipping. The they 7.5-12 inch blades and come w/Secure-Ex sheaths too.

If you're interested, you can find it here.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They just cut the top off of the 0350 blade following the grind line to the tip which makes it look more conventional.
Yeah I had the 0350 and I liked the Speed Safe action on that one. The shape, though, was not even good for breaking tape really. No point. Something wharnie or like a Bareknuckle is more useful. That 0456 shape is great.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you like BIG trench styled fixed blade weapons, the Knife Center has a pretty great deal on it's Cold Steel Chaos Tanto, Kukri and Stiletto Tactical Fixed Blade Knife Bundle Set - 80NT, 80NTK, 80NTST - for just $99.95 w/free shipping. The they 7.5-12 inch blades and come w/Secure-Ex sheaths too.

If you're interested, you can find it here.

Yeah, I'd rather have an Onion recurve than one of those hahah. I wouldn't mind having some knuckles, but they are a no no here IIRC. Not even sure if we are supposed to have SAP gloves.
Old 12-12-2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd rather have an Onion recurve than one of those hahah. I wouldn't mind having some knuckles, but they are a no no here IIRC. Not even sure if we are supposed to have SAP gloves.
I'm certain that SAP gloves are illegal in CA (everything else is), just not sure which Penal Code section would apply because they are not specifically mentioned as a prohibited weapon in the penal code

Metal (or brass) knuckles are prohibited under PC 12020 and 21810 which would apply to the knuckled handguards on the trench knives. Lead shot filled SAP gloves would fall under these sections as well and, if sand filled, would probably fall under PC 12020.1 instead.
Old 12-12-2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
I'm certain that SAP gloves are illegal in CA (everything else is), just not sure which Penal Code section would apply because they are not specifically mentioned as a prohibited weapon in the penal code

Metal (or brass) knuckles are prohibited under PC 12020 and 21810 which would apply to the knuckled handguards on the trench knives. Lead shot filled SAP gloves would fall under these sections as well and, if sand filled, would probably fall under PC 12020.1 instead.
Sap gloves are illegal. They fell under 12020 PC but the code numbers have changed since I retired and I don't care enough to learn the new section numbering.
Old 12-12-2018, 5:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm certain that SAP gloves are illegal in CA (everything else is)
Yup the ones I have seen are powdered lead filled over the knuckles, 16 ounces per pair. Of course they are an illegal weapon here. Mostly good because two thick leather layers and flexible lead protect your knuckles if you hit them on something stupid. A real sap you can whip with a hard insert is probably better for whatever people use saps for.
Old 12-13-2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
A real sap you can whip with a hard insert is probably better for whatever people use saps for.
I had a sap when I was on active duty but don't recall where I put it. Never used it or even carried it on duty because it was contrary to Dept policy. Just bought it because I thought it was an "interesting" weapon that would be novel to own. It's somewhere in a box somewhere.

However, between carrying a sap and that collapsible baton that I was issued while on duty (and that I still have but is also illegal to carry), I'd rather carry/use the baton because it's a more effective weapon BUT since I am licensed to carry a gun legally under LEOSA, I'd rather just carry a gun shoot someone if need be and risk the consequences of doing that rather than defend myself and injure someone using an "illegal" but far less lethal weapon" such as a sap or baton. Same argument applies to carrying knives that do not comply w/local ordinances and/or state laws, which I am not exempt from as a retired LEO.

So, in my case, it's silly but it's really better for me to carry a gun to use for self-defense than a weapon such as a sap, baton or knife that may otherwise be considered "illegal." Same thing applies to any one else w/a CCW. The only other thing you that can carry that is less lethal than a gun but does not raise legal issues is a taser and/or pepper spay, both of which may not be as effective as a secondary weapon in order to deal w/a threat as a sap, baton or knife.

Last edited by sgt1372; 12-13-2018 at 9:40 PM..