Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-21-2018, 8:59 AM

Default Better powder measure or fixing Lee Perfect Powder Measure

I am using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with their single stage loader.

I can get accurate dumps every time but I get 'spillage' outside. After about 500 rounds of 45acp, the bench under the powder measure starts looking like a beach.

The press will end up being used for loading 6.8spc and .50 Beowulf. I'd like to upgrade or fix the powder measure so I'm not dumping powder.

Any hints?

Do I need to disassemble and fix something? Or is there a better manual or electric version out there?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Go electronic RCBS(the cheaper one) or Hornady. If you want a manual one forget the lee junk and get a RCBS Uniflow measure. I have 2 and they work great. Be sure to get the one with both the small and the large drum. Better when loading small amounts or larger case amounts. I had a chance to get a 2nd one so I set one up with large and one with small drums. Just being lazy. I am sure that Hornady/Lyman/Redding and such have good units also.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Calguns Addict

If you want to use a manual measure Harrell's Precision is the answer.
I only use a powder dump for bulk ammo where accuracy isn't the goal.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-21-2018, 1:34 PM

I have the same problem and I guess its a known problem with these. I tried a couple of other measures: RCBS and another brand I can't remember. Turns out the Lee was the most consistent. So my solution, which I got from someone else, is to just put a paper plate under it when throwing the charge. Every once in a while I pick up the plate and dump the loose powder back in the hopper.
Old 10-21-2018, 4:08 PM

RCBS is a good option. The electronic model is especially good if you load a lot of IMR or extruded powders. A friend of mine is a volume reloader and has had no problems with his 6 year old ChargeMaster.

On the other hand, I've been using the same manual Redding powder measure for over 50 years and it still works perfectly. The RCBS Uniflow is also a good choice. Both of these, if properly cared for, will last a lifetime without problems.
Old 10-21-2018, 4:26 PM

I'll have to look up what type my 'usual' intended powders are.

Currently, I'm using Bullseye.

In the future, when I need to load 45acp small primer, I'll be using HS6.

For 6.8spc, I'm going to use AA2200.

For Beowulf, I'm using Lil'Gun.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quick follow up. Bullseye is a flake powder while HS6 and Lil'Gun are ball. I couldn't find Accurate 2200.

Does the issue of powder sneak improve with ball powder?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM

The powder does make a difference with regard to leakage. I load most handguns with AA#5 and it leaks like a sieve from the side of the Lee powder measure. I recall Bullseye did as well, but not as bad. However when I load 4895, I don't think I get any leakage. With that said, I weigh the powder charge each 10th round and the Lee is always very consistent.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:52 PM

There is a screw to tighten/loosen the powder measure drum. You can adjust the tension between tightness and leakage with this screw. According to the instructions, they come from the factory with the screw set so that 16 ounces of force is needed to operate the powder drop. That's one pound of force. A good dose of graphite will help "lube" it to make it run more smoothly. In the old days, people would gently sand the inside of the measure and the drum to make the operation smoother, but you must take care to be very gentle.

I use my Lee PPM only for rifle loading and I use small ball powder such as 748 an H335 as well as stick powder such as Varget. I adjust the tension to keep the ball powder from leaking without being too tight (or at least leaking no more than a couple balls over the span of numerous drops). I have my measure adjusted to work with both types of powder without leakage. It's also quite worn so it's smooth on the mating surfaces too.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 10-22-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Old 10-22-2018, 2:08 PM

First, the LPPM is my most consistent measure and I use it on the bench for rifle rounds. You can put a piece of paper under the measure to collect the leakage.
You can clean the measure and tighten the tension with the bolt. Do not tighten with powder in the measure--clean it and adjust before you add powder.
You can simply use the measure and let it rub itself together until the two conical sections have buffed themselves into matching surfaces and the leakage goes away.
Old 10-22-2018, 2:52 PM

There have been quite a few complaints of the Lee powder measure leaks.
Here are a couple fixes:
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/r...measure-2.html

https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=972
Old 10-22-2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Go electronic RCBS(the cheaper one) or Hornady. If you want a manual one forget the lee junk and get a RCBS Uniflow measure. I have 2 and they work great. Be sure to get the one with both the small and the large drum. Better when loading small amounts or larger case amounts. I had a chance to get a 2nd one so I set one up with large and one with small drums. Just being lazy. I am sure that Hornady/Lyman/Redding and such have good units also.
The Lee works fine for stick rifle powder, is actually fairly consistent. Lee actually makes great products for the money. Sure, itís not the best, but their stuff does work for the most part.

This specific problem comes from small grain powders like H335 in my experience. I think itís probably a symptom of the plastic parts not sealing well and allowing powder to leak out. I have a Lyman number 55 I bought used that has cast and machined parts which is much better for small grain powders. My solution is to use that for small grain powders and the Lee for large grain powders.
Old 10-22-2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
The Lee works fine for stick rifle powder, is actually fairly consistent.
They have the reputation as the only measure that accurately throws IMR 4064 crank after crank.
Old 10-23-2018, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
They have the reputation as the only measure that accurately throws IMR 4064 crank after crank.
I've yet to find a measure that will throw IMR 4064 within 3 or 4 tenths of a grain every time (Lee Classic, Hornady's standard measure [whatever they call it], Harrells, RCBS Chargemaster.)

The Lee seems overall to be the most consistent at it though.
Old 10-23-2018, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
I've yet to find a measure that will throw IMR 4064 within 3 or 4 tenths of a grain every time (Lee Classic, Hornady's standard measure [whatever they call it], Harrells, RCBS Chargemaster.)

The Lee seems overall to be the most consistent at it though.
My Lee holds +/- .2 grains of Varget which is sufficient for making blasting ammo for my AR10 carbine. Not a terrible measure by any means, just has definite limitations.

That AR10 carbine just turns gunpowder into noise for the most part. Also, really good for startling other shooters at the range.