Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2018, 5:32 PM

Keep copies of your old AW documents on your old rifles. I've seen people, when making copy documents for each rifle, use a sharpie to black out all other listed rifles on the letter, since a LEO inquiring about your firearm legality only needs to know that that specific one is legal. If they want to know how many RAWs you have, they can go look it up.

Furthermore, I've read on here before that it is differentiated in the system, though I don't recall if that's on a system that is LEO facing or not.

I agree though that they shouldn't be listing them all together like that.
Old 10-19-2018, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
All of the line items in your $15 submission need to have the acceptance email before you get the actual letter. If there's still any guns that haven't gotten the acceptance email, that will hold the letter up until those have been accepted by CFARS.
I've had sets done since late July and haven't gotten any paperwork yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-19-2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post
Keep copies of your old AW documents on your old rifles. I've seen people, when making copy documents for each rifle, use a sharpie to black out all other listed rifles on the letter, since a LEO inquiring about your firearm legality only needs to know that that specific one is legal. If they want to know how many RAWs you have, they can go look it up.

Furthermore, I've read on here before that it is differentiated in the system, though I don't recall if that's on a system that is LEO facing or not.

+1. Keep it simple and stupid - one letter for the 2000 AWs, another one for the 2016 BBAWs. Better yet, separate the 2000 AWs from the 2016 BBAWs.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Annnnd another week goes by. Better chance of winning the Lotto

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
Old 10-20-2018, 2:35 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Got my letter in the mail today, confirming my AW registrations are now complete and accepted. It was 18 days after I submitted the corrections for 'multi' caliber. I originally submitted my apps on 6/5/18, and my corrections on 10/2/18. I only had rifles, no pistols.

Also note that I never got any acceptance letter via email. All I got was the hard copy in the mail.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-20-2018 at 7:01 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
Annnnd another week goes by. Better chance of winning the Lotto
Well, I went and bought $20 worth of tickets. I am thinking I have as good a chance of winning the Mega Millions drawing as I have of getting my BBAW application approved in the next month. Maybe lightning will strike and I will win the Mega Millions drawing and get my BBAW application approved in the next month.... Yeah, right
Old 10-21-2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post

I have my “Old document”, however since new trumps old “updated information superseded previous information/rulings” per doj. My “old” AW’s are shown to have been registered the same date as my newly registered B.B. AW’s.

Way too much misinformation and mistakes on the part of the doj. Old vs new should not be on same form.

Just for chuckles imagine a Tec-9 being accepted as registered as of 10-14-18 because that’s what it says. The rest are non novelty, but still!
Old 10-21-2018, 9:36 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetsquad6 View Post
I have my “Old document”, however since new trumps old “updated information superseded previous information/rulings” per doj. My “old” AW’s are shown to have been registered the same date as my newly registered B.B. AW’s.

Way too much misinformation and mistakes on the part of the doj. Old vs new should not be on same form.

Just for chuckles imagine a Tec-9 being accepted as registered as of 10-14-18 because that’s what it says. The rest are non novelty, but still!
The electronic AFS has the correct dates. Your looking at the date of the letter, that's it. Any cop will see the actual dates if they check.

The only reason we carry paperwork is for Cops who want to give us a hard time when there is an encounter and they "take it down to the station" because they claim the AFS is unavailable. They can still in fact do that even with the paperwork because it's not some kind of magic or certified document. They could say "this doesn't look real to me, I need to take it down to the station because I don't have access to AFS". The letter is just another layer of protection and may or may not be beneficial when the encounter occurs.

The state has in fact given LEO the ability to confiscate at will, albeit temporarily because we will pursue the issue if the guns ever get taken and we will get them back, eventually. But be prepared for a small minority of Cops who will look to make names for themselves in politically charged agencies depending where you live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Discogodfather; 10-21-2018 at 9:41 PM..
Old 10-21-2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
+1. Keep it simple and stupid - one letter for the 2000 AWs, another one for the 2016 BBAWs. Better yet, separate the 2000 AWs from the 2016 BBAWs.

Everything has been seperated each with its own copy of the doj form. I do have copies blacked out, but I did run into trouble “obscuring” a legal document by Leo.

I’ve dismantled everything until I get concrete answers. My livelihood would be affected by a simple misdemeanor so no messing around here.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So there was a lawsuit by a person who did not have his DROS.

I belive he won the suit as there is no law requiring one to keep the DROS.

Did this apply only to the one registrant or to everyone who cannot locate the dros

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did this apply only to the one registrant or to everyone who cannot locate the dros

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-22-2018, 4:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
The electronic AFS has the correct dates. Your looking at the date of the letter, that's it. Any cop will see the actual dates if they check.

The only reason we carry paperwork is for Cops who want to give us a hard time when there is an encounter and they "take it down to the station" because they claim the AFS is unavailable. They can still in fact do that even with the paperwork because it's not some kind of magic or certified document. They could say "this doesn't look real to me, I need to take it down to the station because I don't have access to AFS". The letter is just another layer of protection and may or may not be beneficial when the encounter occurs.

The state has in fact given LEO the ability to confiscate at will, albeit temporarily because we will pursue the issue if the guns ever get taken and we will get them back, eventually. But be prepared for a small minority of Cops who will look to make names for themselves in politically charged agencies depending where you live.
I’m aware of this. That is why I always try and avoid public ranges with my personal firearms that look scary. Also when up in the hills, always shoot in areas where I can see someone approaching a long distance off. Pretty sad we have to fear The Man in California if we own scary looking firearms..we are considered the enemy of the State.
Old 10-22-2018, 8:18 AM

Forgot to reset my password before it expired, like an ******* and apparently i typed one of my verification responses incorrectly in the initial registration and now my account is locked so i have to call them... WHOOPSIES
Old 10-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Well I got around to taking the picture of the caliber stamp on the last rifle. All 3 are listed as in progress again.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Got my approval letter last Fri. for three applications.; two 80% pistols and one AR rifle, applied last week in June, had to make some changes per the DOJ in Oct. Thanks very much to all the contributors on this thread, especially C and G.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:59 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

I haven't heard of a lawsuit, but that shouldn't be necessary for this. I have two lowers that I had no idea when I acquired them, and simply told them that. They accepted the answer after restating it once, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 10-23-2018, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone still have their application in processing for CZ Scorpion carbine with faux suppressor?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
Anyone still have their application in processing for CZ Scorpion carbine with faux suppressor?
Mine was approved a long time ago, but there was some back and forth, since I wanted to register it as multi-cal. I did add some note about the stock being pinned though.

Even thought there are no caliber markings on the receiver, they refused to register the CZ in multi cal and forced me to go with what was on the bolt/barrel, even though they also refused the same for ARs that were in calibers other than what was marked on the lower.

So much BS...

Last edited by gose; 10-23-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I applied last week of June and it still shows in progress. Anyone else in this position?
Old 10-23-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikvenum93 View Post
I applied last week of June and it still shows in progress. Anyone else in this position?
Apparently there are lots of applications in the same status. Otherwise, why would DoJ give a pass to take your BBAW to the range pending the period of application processing (see BeAuMan post #4398 above)?

Last edited by aBrowningfan; 10-23-2018 at 1:24 PM..
Old 10-23-2018, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
Mine is still in progress. It got kicked back and I had to resubmit because they asked me to fold my stock and send a pic showing the measurement. Also, they couldn't see the caliber marking as I had the bolt held open. I resubmitted with the bolt closed and added a note saying the stock was pinned.

I resubmitted on 10/02 and got a submission confirm on 10/18. Still "in progress..."

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke R.I.P.
Old 10-25-2018, 6:43 AM

I received my letter last week, approving all of the AWs I had sent in applications for. I had sent in the applications in early June, so it took quite a long time, over 4 months.

I also did not have accurate dates for most of the items, so I put in an estimates, and noted that in the comment field. Unfortunately, the FFL is out of business, so that was not an option.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:45 AM

I fear that this thread will become the longest living active thread on all the Internet ever.......due to the slow DOJ processing........and I do not consider that a good thing either.
Old 10-25-2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I fear that this thread will become the longest living active thread on all the Internet ever.......due to the slow DOJ processing........and I do not consider that a good thing either.
I am reconciled to not getting an application registration letter until at least 2019. Maybe 2020.

All for a single store-bought CA-compliant BBAW.
Old 10-27-2018, 2:43 PM

I finally got my letters in the mail. Here was the timeline:

June 19, applications submitted, both for myself and my wife
October 18, email saying applications have been received and processing will begin (both me and my wife received emails same day)
October 24, letters received in mail (both letters same day, dated October 21)

In between 6/19 and 10/18, there was no contact of any kind for 4 months from DOJ. No corrections or anything. Just a 4 month delay until confirmation. This was for two dealer purchased ARs, nothing unusual about them.

Thanks for the help in this post. Too bad it was even necessary.
Old 10-27-2018, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Today I got my last two bumped back, both ARs with uppers in calibers different from the markings on the lowers, with the following comment:

"Based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as 5.56mm. Please change the caliber listed on your application to "5.56x45mm NATO." You may use the comments section to list any other calibers."

That last sentence is new to me. Ive done that on a bunch, but never seen any ack from DOJ on it before.

Last edited by gose; 10-27-2018 at 5:57 PM..
Old 10-27-2018, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting that they're still working on Saturday

Quote:
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 10-27-2018, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting that they're still working on Saturday

Quote:
Old 10-30-2018, 8:36 AM

Bumping this thread with a couple questions. First:

A friend of mine submitted a couple registrations, but had to move in the interim between then and now. Is it possible for him to go back into the app and and change his address? Or is he stuck and unable to modify that?

Second, I got the "we're processing your app" email for 3 of 4 of my AW's back in August. I fixed the kickback the same day and resubmitted it. I still don't have a letter in hand and it's been almost 3 months. Is there a number I can call to have someone address this?

thanks all.
Old 10-30-2018, 9:16 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post

A friend of mine submitted a couple registrations, but had to move in the interim between then and now. Is it possible for him to go back into the app and and change his address? Or is he stuck and unable to modify that?

Second, I got the "we're processing your app" email for 3 of 4 of my AW's back in August. I fixed the kickback the same day and resubmitted it. I still don't have a letter in hand and it's been almost 3 months. Is there a number I can call to have someone address this?

thanks all.
He can try to use the "report an issue" function in CFARS to inform them of the address change, but it may or may not work. If they let him, he would have to revise each firearm individually, resubmit, and have all his apps pushed to the back of the line, essentially starting his wait all over again.
Or, DOJ might just take the new address under advisement, and update the mailing address for the letters. I'm not sure which would happen. Or third, DOJ might just ignore the request, our tell him "no". I would advise your friend to make sure he activates mail forwarding to his new address, and I believe USPS will forward all his mail for up to 6 months. Worst case scenario, if he never gets his letter, he can request a duplicate from DOJ (but it requires a notarized letter and a check for ~$5 to do so, IIRC).

For your second question - there are MANY of us in exactly the same scenario. It's normal. There is no point in a phone call, they will just tell you the same thing they tell everyone, "We received a lot of apps and we're processing them as fast as we can."

There isn't anything you can do to speed up the process or check the status. Government transparency at its finest.

FWIW, all but 1 of mine got approved in April, and my last one didn't get rejected until august, which I fixed and resubmitted the same day, and still haven't heard anything about it. 7 months since app submitted, 3 months since resubmission, still nothing but crickets.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 10-30-2018 at 9:22 AM..
Old 10-30-2018, 9:23 AM

I am thinking by the time these are registered I am going to have to have some change my address to the cemetery I am buried in.

Anyone know if they will let a dead guy keep his registered AW's?
Old 10-30-2018, 1:40 PM

Thanks, C&G, you've confirmed my worst fears, lol.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am thinking by the time these are registered I am going to have to have some change my address to the cemetery I am buried in.

Of course. Dead Democrats can vote. So...

And he can still share the guns with those within his household. Imagine a graveyard full of BBRAW-toting souls.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post

thanks all.
I moved and had to do this. I was told to report a problem and explain that I moved. I gave them the new address and the CRIS numbers for all the rifles. Like 2 days later they evaluated my applications and changed the status to additional info required or something. I changed the address and fixed their comments and they are back in as pending.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:51 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
I moved and had to do this. I was told to report a problem and explain that I moved. I gave them the new address and the CRIS numbers for all the rifles. Like 2 days later they evaluated my applications and changed the status to additional info required or something. I changed the address and fixed their comments and they are back in as pending.
Thanks for confirming this.

Then it sounds like the better choice, if possible, should be to just let DOJ send it to your old address, and have USPS forward it to your new address. That way DOJ won't make you resubmit your app, causing it to go back to the end of the line.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 10-30-2018 at 2:53 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
If you registered it...it dies when you do.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Thanks for confirming this.

Then it sounds like the better choice, if possible, should be to just let DOJ send it to your old address, and have USPS forward it to your new address. That way DOJ won't make you resubmit your app, causing it to go back to the end of the line.
Note that the envelope is sent stamped with "Return Service Requested".

This means that the letter will be returned if the addressee is not at the address, even if there is forwarding in place.

I think that you need to notify the DOJ if you move.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:37 AM

God damnit all of my applications got bumped back for the most silly technical garbage.....this **** is one of the most frustrating POS crap ive ever had to deal with, and ive dealt with some BS lately at work with property paperwork.

he California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

You have not marked any additional characteristics that classify this firearm as an assault weapon. Review and update the "Additional Firearm Characteristics" to reflect the characteristics that apply to your firearm. Please refer to California Code of Regulations, title 11, section 5471 for more information: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...let-button.pdf

The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

Based on the information provided, the caliber for this firearm is stamped as MULTI. Please change the caliber listed on your application to "Firearm with interchangeable barrels," which is the option for MULTI caliber firearms on the application

The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

You have not marked any additional characteristics that classify this firearm as an assault weapon. Review and update the "Additional Firearm Characteristics" to reflect the characteristics that apply to your firearm.

Seriously why cant DOJ just make these changes for me, i have to go back and change everything??
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM

Additional Firearm Characteristics (select all that apply):

Second Handgrip
Shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
The capacity to accept a detachable Magazine Outside the Pistol Grip
Threaded Barrel (capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer)

WHICH ONES AM I CHOOSING?

My intuition is saying to mark the third box. BUt seriously these are so confusing....since when can a threaded barrel accept a forward grip. What is a "second handgrip" and isnt a "shroud" just a normal freakin barrel?

Last edited by Mendo223; 10-31-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 10-31-2018, 11:06 AM

For rifles and pistols, select the AW "features" the firearm has. This section does not appear if you selected "Shotgun" as the firearm type. Make sure the boxes you check match what is shown in your photos, otherwise DOJ will most likely delay your application. For pistols, if there is a forward handguard/shroud of any type, DOJ wants you to select "Second handgrip" and/or "Shroud" - in the case of most AR pistols, you would select both. For pistols, remember that "bullet buttons" count as a detachable magazines now. DOJ considers PRS stocks (and similar) to be telescoping stocks. Important notes:

So i just just mark the box for "shroud" and detachable magazine since its a BB.

none of my rifles had second forward grips in the pictures.