Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM

Default First gun - advice on ranges/coaches?

My ten day waiting period ended, and I brought my first gun home today: a Springfield XD 9.

I've taken a few lessons -- including the NRA Basic Pistol Course while visiting family in VA -- but I'm still pretty new to guns. Growing up in New York City didn't help. I think Fourth of July sparklers were illegal when I was a kid. We wouldn't even have considered fireworks or cap guns.

I'd like to take my pistol to a range on a regular basis, but I'd like to have someone with me at least the first few times -- a coach or just someone for moral support while I carefully leaf through my notes. Are there any women's groups in the LA area? Or can anyone recommend a range/coach/class? I took the beginner class at the LAX range over a year ago, and with the recent NRA course, I think much of the classroom training would be a redundant waste of time and money, but I'm not sure I'm ready for one of their "tactical" courses yet.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'll be sleeping tonight with a gun on my bedside table for the first time in my life. Considering that I have another thing I never thought I'd need -- a restraining order against the violent ex-boyfriend of a neighbor I once gave refuge to during a drunken rampage -- I'm feeling pretty good about that XD 9.
Old 01-31-2013, 6:25 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

welcome!
congrats on the new gun!
sorry to hear about the need for a restraining order.......but glad you've got your pistol "just in case".

i' ve got personal stuff going on and getting ready to leave to go to the vet again to see my 19 year old cat hospitalized and in ICU. i just wanted to welcome you! and i know some of the other regulars will chime in and give you really good advice.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 01-31-2013, 7:05 AM

Welcome eam. What I would do if I were you is take an all women's class for shooting. There are plenty out there. Redundancy can be good. It will just mean you are a bit more experienced than the gal sitting next to you. At your class, you will then be put you in contact with like minded people, and you just may find a shooting friend. If that doesn't appeal to you, then just head out to the range and you might see a woman out there shooting alone. I enjoy going alone sometimes and I have met several women out there that I now shoot with on a regular basis!

Welcome!

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown

Last edited by savannah; 01-31-2013 at 7:07 AM..
Old 01-31-2013, 4:38 PM

We can put you in touch with your local Calguns C3 (Calguns community coordinators) who should be able to advise you on ranges, coaches, classes, and maybe other women shooters to hang out with. They are also good sources for friendly local gun shops, classes and eventually competitions, if you like.

If you PM PennysDad, the honcho of the C3's, he'll point you the right person. Or you can PM me.

There are active CGN Chapters in LA, San Diego, Imperial Valley, pretty much everywhere in the SoCal area. Let me know if you need help finding them.

And welcome! We're glad to have you here in the women's forum.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 02-02-2013 at 7:25 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 7:11 PM

I'd love to go to one of the NRA Women on Target events....but according to their website they have nothing in SoCal.

I'd recommend Stan/TASC. I've taken two classes with him and it was a great experience. He teaches at the Angeles Shooting Range: TASC pistol classes
Old 01-31-2013, 7:20 PM
CGSSA Leader

Sigh....I am so jealous eam...lol!! I tried to find a Springfield XD9 Sub-compact for a few weeks and I finally gave up. Bought a Glock 19 instead. Guess the XD9 will be my next purchase. :-)

I am not from the LA area, but I just wanted to pass on some info about a national women's organization called Second Amendment Sisters. You can see a little more about it on the Ladies Forum under Let's Get Sassy...or something like that. I am the new state coordinator and we are trying to get the organization back up and running in CA.

Good luck shooting! You will get lots of good information here.

Trish
California Coordinator
Second Amendment Sisters

http://www.2asisters.org
Old 02-02-2013, 4:59 PM
CGSSA Associate

Welcome If ever your in the OC area let me know im always down to go to the range!
Old 02-02-2013, 5:17 PM

Congrats and welcome!
Old 02-02-2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I'd love to go to one of the NRA Women on Target events....but according to their website they have nothing in SoCal.
The C3's in SoCal are working right now on sponsoring a Women On Target, probably first in San Diego. It'll be announced in the NorCal and SoCal Forums. No date as yet.

Also, the South Bay Rod and Gun Club in Dulzura, CA (San Diego County) has a regular schedule of Women on Target shoots. Here's a link.

http://www.sbrgc.org/html/women_on_target.html

According to this link the schedule at SBRGC is 2013 - Jan. 26th, April 27th, July 27th & Oct. 26th.
Old 02-02-2013, 8:02 PM

Ladies, if I could make a suggestion that you guide the OP on a program of education, not just an instructor or shooting buddy.

If the OP has an immediate defensive need, then not only is learning some shooting fundamentals in order (ie - grip, stance, etc on a stationary bullseye) but also:

1) more advanced skills (moving (self and/or targets), drawing, use of cover, tactics (target priority, etc), dim light situations, speed, resolving issues (jams, etc), .....

2) participating in scenarios that will help mimic scenarios (IDPA, whatever) to re-inforce tactical mindsets

3) ....

Sounds like the OP has a real need to learn real skills, real fast. It could be life saving to give the OP a headstart in skills development. Help put the OP on the fast track.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 PM

I actually asked for info on instructors and shooting buddies. Right now, my primary focus is on getting comfortable with a firearm, period. Though I am interested in further defensive classes -- and the TASC classes will likely wind up on my calendar, though if you have others to offer, I'd love to hear about them -- I think taking classes in more advanced tactics might be of limited use until I've had a least a few sessions of range time to get acclimated to the pistol.

I come from a team sport background. I like to learn physical things from and with other people. I'd feel a lot more comfortable going to the range for the first time with someone else, but unfortunately, all of my Hollywood friends (those who are still talking to me) have even less experience/ability than I do.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam View Post
I actually asked for info on instructors and shooting buddies. Right now, my primary focus is on getting comfortable with a firearm, period. Though I am interested in further defensive classes -- and the TASC classes will likely wind up on my calendar, though if you have others to offer, I'd love to hear about them -- I think taking classes in more advanced tactics might be of limited use until I've had a least a few sessions of range time to get acclimated to the pistol.

I come from a team sport background. I like to learn physical things from and with other people. I'd feel a lot more comfortable going to the range for the first time with someone else, but unfortunately, all of my Hollywood friends (those who are still talking to me) have even less experience/ability than I do.
I think that's good. I'm not suggesting diving into advanced tactics immediately. But rather include your initial efforts into a larger context of learning and skill building. Have a program of direction rather than try to ad-hoc your way through building defensive skills. Don't try to re-invent the wheel here; lots of good experience on the forum to guide you on a program leading to competence. All I'm saying is don't just seek out a Class 101; see how Class 101 fits into a Bachelor's degree of choice.

From the original post, it sounded like you feel you may have an immediate defensive need.

Just an opinion and worth exactly the paper it was printed on.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM

You're right, konata88, there is a tendency to take Class 101 and not really think about the next step. I am already a little stuck in that problem as I've taken, essentially, TWO Class 101's now. Before I sign up for yet another, I'd like to get out and practice more -- and that's where range buddies/private instruction comes in for me. I don't want to waste my next 101 opportunity because I feel unready to sign up for 201, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-03-2013, 1:32 PM

One of the real opportunities in taking the various women's classes, is that you meet other women who shoot in your local area. You may find you need a whole additional set of friends, other than the ones you already have. You can keep your old friends, but you're bound to meet and need new ones who share your interest in shooting. I see lots of "hen parties" out at my local range on Saturday mornings at 11. Must be a club. I also see a set of mothers and daughters shooting out there on Saturdays too. They're out there, you'll find them. And they're having a heck of a good time.

I've had good luck with finding shooting buddies who are guys, but then I get along with guys pretty well. (Long career in a male dominated business helps with that)

It's not that much fun to shoot alone, at a range, and if it's not fun you won't practice.

"Roundeye" (Chad) is one of the CalGuns Community Coordinators (C3's) in the LA Chapter and he's a super nice guy. He can help you find training, classes, CGN Social events, other women to shoot with, if that's what you want and introduce you around if you like. You name it, he can handle it. So PM him and tell him what you need.
Old 02-05-2013, 5:53 AM

What area are you in?

If you need a shooting buddy, I go to the range as often as 3 times a week. Im not very good, but love getting the practice in.

I usually go to Insight (Artesia), Field Time (Stanton), La Puente or El Prado (Chino).