Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-08-2011, 9:09 AM

Default Ruger P95 Accuracy

I shot a friend's P95 (9mm) last weekend, probably landed 2 of 10 shots actually on the shoot NC target at about 15 yards. I'm half-way decent with my 1911, but I couldn't hit crap with this gun. It's probably just user error, but has anyone else had this issue?
Old 01-08-2011, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

I've heard that P95s are reliable as heck, but not especially accurate.

However, I had no trouble hitting tin cans and water jugs at about 20 yards - while moving - with one owned by a friend.

So the jury is still out on accuracy as far as I am concerned.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah I have one. It took awhile for me to get the hang of it. I have problems with it past 25 feet. Dead on at 15-20 feet good hd gun.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM

My P95 is more than accurate enough in a HD scenario or beyond.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

I've had a P95 for many years, and it's one of my most reliable handguns.

Mechanical accuracy is good - it shoots tight groups from a rest with slow, careful trigger pulls. However, the long, gritty trigger requires special attention to get good accuracy from in offhand shooting, especially when compared to the trigger of even an inexpensive 1911.

I found the long trigger caused me to hurry my trigger pulls, and shoot low and left, as if I were jerking the trigger. This'll be different for everyone, of course, and some people shoot the P95 very well.

I switched to a CZ75B for my primary HD gun, and the difference is amazing. They both have similar mechanical accuracy, but the pointability and offhand accuracy of the CZ is much better than the P95 for me.

I've kept the P95 because it shares mags with my Ruger PC9 carbine (and because they don't sell for much used), but I don't shoot it much any more.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-08-2011, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post
I found the long trigger caused me to hurry my trigger pulls, and shoot low and left, as if I were jerking the trigger. This'll be different for everyone, of course, and some people shoot the P95 very well.

Same deal with my P90. Off a rest it can make ragged holes at 10 yds. When I first got it I was low left a lot. Got worse with the Hogue finger grooves installed. Got better with practice/break in but it's in the shop right now for sights & a trigger job.
Old 01-08-2011, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
My P95 is more than accurate enough in a HD scenario or beyond.
it's no target gun but gets the job done to about 20 yards for me......
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 01-08-2011, 5:46 PM

Rugers are pretty accurate!
Old 01-13-2011, 9:20 AM

Put a hogue handall grip on mine. For me its good to about 15 yards give or take.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM

I you're used to shooting a 1911 it doesn't surprise me that you have initial issues with a P95. The trigger pull is totally different and it takes some getting used to. It's a great gun though. It's no tack driver but is more than accurate enough for combat purposes

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM

Here's my P94 at about 30 feet. 5 consecutive clips. 3 to body then 2 to head. About a second between shots. Felt pretty good to me. Second time shooting this gun.