Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-29-2021, 5:15 PM

Default Now hard drive prices are stupid

So I just placed one of my final orders for my new Ryzen PC desktop build, using mostly SSDs but figured I'd check to see if there are any good deals on platter drives for long term storage (like I don't have a ton already), and holy hell! Now 12 TB drives are starting at around $460, and that's for internal drives. OK that's idiotic, let me check 8 TB drives...the cheapest Seagate drive is currently $200 on Newegg, WD and other brands are $250 and up. I purchased my latest 12 TB WD external drive last November for $175, now the exact same drive is listed at $340! Man this whole chip shortage is really stretching out to affect the entire industry. That or this is just the beginning of the ugliness that is inflation and the worthlessness of the US dollar.

It used to be that storage was cheap. Seems that won't be the case for awhile. I've got a ton of storage drives, fortunately, but I guess I won't be adding any more any time soon, not at these prices.

Update* Well it looks like crypto is also responsible for this. I did some research and it looks like the rush to set up Chia coin plotting on platter drives is a contributing factor. A coworker mentioned Chia to me a few weeks ago, but I tuned it out. Since I have a **** ton of hard drive space maybe I should reconsider.

Last edited by MrFancyPants; 05-29-2021 at 5:40 PM..
Old 05-29-2021, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Hmm, I have never priced anything over a 1TB in the platter variety, as I stream all my pr0n viewing.

The prices for 1TB is the same as it was, last I checked (2-3 years ago)...

On Newegg... 1TB and 512GB 970 Pro 2-bit MLC NVMe's are about the same price they were 2-3 years ago, even though they are now publicly traded, which I wouldn't have thought.
Free stating we will go...

Last edited by the86d; 05-29-2021 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-29-2021, 10:31 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Yup, it's Chia's fault. It's very speculatory right now.
Old 05-30-2021, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
On Newegg... 1TB and 512GB 970 Pro 2-bit MLC NVMe's are about the same price they were 2-3 years ago, even though they are now publicly traded, which I wouldn't have thought.
Yeah, SSDs seem to be unaffected, it seems to be isolated to the larger capacity spindles. I ordered a 1 TB Gen 4 M.2 drive for my new build and it was normal price. It's just really funny (in a not funny way) that all of the sudden spinning drives are in excessively high demand again. There are people selling drives on eBay with Chia plots already set up, for insane prices. Of course there's no shortage of people who are willing to spend the money.
Old 08-14-2021, 7:04 PM

Default price are low

Well if you have been around for a long time there is nothing high about the prices of any hard drives... I still have a memory of purchasing a 340 meg drive and that was huge (and yes I said Meg) I paid $340 and that was the best price I had ever seen per meg for a hard drive...
So no matter how high they get they will always be cheap to me.
Old 08-14-2021, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

If your going to spend money on a regular hard drive, make it an enterprise class drive. It will be more rugged and last longer.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 08-15-2021, 1:24 AM

SSD are much better and faster but nowadays the price just keep increasing
Old 08-23-2021, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Hot dang I had no idea prices were that cheap now, or that drives that large even existed. 8TB? 12TB!!?? When I got my SSDs (NVMe) it was about 100 a gig. Crazy how fast stuff advances, just a few years and drives are way bigger and cheaper.
Old 08-23-2021, 8:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought a Seagate 8TB drive back in 2019 for $157. I stuffed it in a 12 bay, 2U supermicro chassis with a SAS2 backplane (SATA compatible). The idea was to have it hold a bunch of VMs (Linux KVM). It failed...sorta. Later found out it was a SMR drive, thats where they overlap tracks to pack in more data. SMART info said it was all good, but I could not fill the drive as it would just time out. I used dd if=/dev/urandom in an attempt to fill it. For those that are unfamiliar, "dd" allows you to write raw data to a device and /dev/urandom is an unlimited source of random data.

Anyways, I knew nothing of SMR drives before then. When I went back and looked at the reviews, it was flooded with similar problems. So if you are looking at magnetic drives, SMR=BAD, CMR=good. SMR is cheaper because it sucks.
Old 08-24-2021, 4:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I dunno where you are seeing these high prices... 1TB NVMe drives are around 100 bucks... thats cheap.

8TB for $300 is not bad. Thats a lot of data to backup though...
Old 08-30-2021, 3:41 PM

Sam's Club & Costco has hard drives for decent prices , since Fry's is out-of -business...
Old 08-31-2021, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezfoo View Post
I dunno where you are seeing these high prices... 1TB NVMe drives are around 100 bucks... thats cheap.

8TB for $300 is not bad. Thats a lot of data to backup though...
I wasn't talking about SSDs, was talking about platters. SSDs were not being hoarded for Chia seeding so their price remained stable. 8 TB for $300 is garbage, and you'd be crazy to pay that. 9 months ago I bought a 12 TB external hard drive for $175, today the exact same drive is $100 more expensive. When have you known the price of platter drives to INCREASE over time? As I said before though it's due to the PoS crypto seeding trend now. I need to fill up my 16-bay NAS with platters at some point, but at these prices I guess it'll be awhile.
Old 08-31-2021, 5:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check the model to see what type of drive it is (CMR or SMR). There was a class action lawsuit against WD for not disclosing some of their Red drives were SMR. I got burned on a Seagate SMR drive. They become extremely slow as they fill up since they overlap tracks and have to rewrite parts that were overwritten.

https://www.pcgamer.com/wd-rebrands-...ith-a-lawsuit/
Old 09-02-2021, 4:19 PM

Check with Reddit's 'Data Hoarders' they are up on all that stuff.

Yes, they complain about crypto / HD prices too.

M-Disc also skyrocketed. From $241 to $298 for 25 100GB discs.
Old 09-02-2021, 8:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

is its still worth it to buy hard disk over SSD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 09-03-2021, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
is its still worth it to buy hard disk over SSD?
Depends on the application. Long term bulk storage, hard disks just provide a better value. Currently 4 TB SSDs are about $390, but you can get a good 4 TB hard disk for $70-$100. If I'm fully populating my 16 bay NAS at home, SSDs would cost about $5,000 more.

That example is just my own specific scenario, and one system I use hard disks in.
Old 09-03-2021, 6:38 AM

What the hell you need 10 Terabytes?
Old 09-03-2021, 6:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not only affects those components, I heard Ford just shut down production nationwide.
Old 09-03-2021, 6:47 AM

Have you checked the price and availability of decent gaming graphics cards? HDDs are the least of the problems right now.
Old 09-06-2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
Have you checked the price and availability of decent gaming graphics cards? HDDs are the least of the problems right now.
A GPU isn't my problem at the moment. I got a RTX 3080 a few months ago before they began shipping LHR cards. I've been mining with it 24/7 to generate some revenue.

Kinda wish I had a second one, but at $1,230 for a water cooled model, it's been a hard sell for me, considering I just spent about $3,500 on my new desktop.
Old 09-06-2021, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
Data, man, lots of data.

I run 32 TB Raid on my NAS for surveillance video and full computer backups. I frequently bump up on the storage limit and have to do a little house cleaning.
Old 09-07-2021, 4:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
This is what we are struggling with. We need those RTX cards for our CAD machines and we can't get them. Can't hire new people if we can't supply them with the hardware they need to do their jobs.
Old 09-12-2021, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
That's a lot of data for some people, but for me that's nothing. I archive large sets of data for various purposes, mostly media preservation, like entire catalogs of 1:1 dumps of video game ISOs for older generation video game consoles and associated media like artwork and documentation. That kind of stuff adds up quick. If I had 64 TB of storage space in my NAS at home, I'd fill it up.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

I've had my eye on the 2TB Samsung T5 for travel. A couple of months ago it was $230. Last month it went to $250. Now it's $335. Guess I shouldn't have waited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 09-14-2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderThanDirt View Post
Data, man, lots of data.

I run 32 TB Raid on my NAS for surveillance video and full computer backups. I frequently bump up on the storage limit and have to do a little house cleaning.
I have 2.5tb in my laptop, and 64tb in external storage. Eventually, I'll need every TB of it.
Old 09-19-2021, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

OMFG!
What type of pr0n are you making, where you need that much storage on a notebook?!
Free stating we will go...
Old 09-19-2021, 7:14 AM

Well hallelujah! I finally found a good deal on some spinning drives, bought 2 6 TB drives for $109.99 each at Newegg. Really tempted to buy more to start filling up my FreeNAS box with new drives.
Old 09-19-2021, 7:22 AM

12 td? are you storing a library?

I would stick to m.2 and ssd
Old 09-19-2021, 7:48 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Another thing to consider is CMR (conventional magnetic recording) vs. SMR (shingled magnetic recording) drives. Several manufacturers have been called out for initially releasing models using CMR (good) and then switching too SMR (bad) without changing the model designation to indicate the difference. This has huge impacts in NAS setups.

In one test copying a 125GB file CMR drives performed the resilver operation under 17 hours. The SMR drive took almost 230 hours. https://www.pcgamer.com/wd-rebrands-...ith-a-lawsuit/

Having said all this, I just picked up a Seagate Exos 18TB for $400. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K98VFXT. I've had good luck with the Exos line. Purchased four X12s a while back. One went bad and was replaced by Seagate under warranty with no hassles.