Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2018, 5:50 PM

Default No response from DOJ

Submitted voluntary registrations in March for 80% self serials. Still in progress, no response to emails from DOJ. Now what?
Old 12-30-2018, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Me too. Hurry up an wait...
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Old 12-30-2018, 6:37 PM

I sent two back in March as well. Just got letters last week. I suspect they truly just can't get to them all fast enough. Good thing they planned ahead and made the process easy and hired enough people to handle the load . Good luck.
Old 12-30-2018, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krking51 View Post
Submitted voluntary registrations in March for 80% self serials. Still in progress, no response to emails from DOJ. Now what?
have you submitted an 'issue' through the cfars website?
I did, and my letter came a week later.
Tell them something like " Hello. In March i submitted voluntary registration for my custom built rifle. This is not an assault rifle.
I have not heard anything back. Please advise.
Thank you"

That's what i'd do. If you've already done that, then maybe just wait.
cheers
Old 12-31-2018, 1:50 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I called them on the phone one morning right when they open. Somebody immediately answered the call and answer my questions.
Old 12-31-2018, 4:19 PM

The issue is that technically all "unregistered" home-built firearms without a CA issued serial number become illegal tomorrow on Jan 1st. If the DOJ has not approved the volreg yet, that means it is not registered.

I met with an attorney a while back, and his advice was that if you don't have the letter from the DOJ approving your volreg by Dec 31st, he recommended submitting an application for a CA issued serial number before the deadline (and then engraving that 2nd serial number on the gun when it is issued).

The deadline to volreg was June 30th, but it was still legal to possess an unregistered home-built firearm (as long as it was built prior to July 1) through the end of 2018. It was annoying that the DOJ was taking so long, but really didn't matter that much. But starting at midnight it does matter because all of these guns pending volregs become illegal.

The DOJ is doing a great job of manufacturing criminals out of law abiding citizens here. They are a freaking joke.
Old 12-31-2018, 5:03 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezedawg View Post
The issue is that technically all "unregistered" home-built firearms without a CA issued serial number become illegal tomorrow on Jan 1st. If the DOJ has not approved the volreg yet, that means it is not registered.

I met with an attorney a while back, and his advice was that if you don't have the letter from the DOJ approving your volreg by Dec 31st, he recommended submitting an application for a CA issued serial number before the deadline (and then engraving that 2nd serial number on the gun when it is issued).
I followed the law. I submitted my app, and then followed up with photos they were not even entitled to. They know I have these, for all pratical purposes they are registered. There is no way, no how that I submit another registration request or engrave another serial number on it. That simply isn’t happening.

The law you refer to that requests a serial number from DOJ also says you may not start building until it is issued. That doesn’t seem like great advice either.

So I’m sitting tight and waiting on the last two letters I have in limbo.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 12-31-2018 at 5:07 PM..
Old 12-31-2018, 5:44 PM

Trust me, I get it. The whole thing pisses me off. I'm not trying to tell anybody how they should interpret or comply with the law. I'm just sharing the advice that this lawyer (who was from the premier firearms law firm in CA) gave to me.

BTW- this discussion was specific to home-built firearms that were completed prior to July 1 deadline. Now after July 1, you are correct that you need to obtain permission before you start making any firearm.
Old 12-31-2018, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I followed the law. I submitted my app, and then followed up with photos they were not even entitled to. They know I have these, for all pratical purposes they are registered. There is no way, no how that I submit another registration request or engrave another serial number on it. That simply isn’t happening.

The law you refer to that requests a serial number from DOJ also says you may not start building until it is issued. That doesn’t seem like great advice either.

So I’m sitting tight and waiting on the last two letters I have in limbo.
The state had a statutory obligation to enter the firearms you volregged into the AFS, which makes it exempt from AB 857. Aside from the fact it's a non-prohibiting misdemeanor, and aside from the fact that DOJ hasn't gone after AW owners who timely registered their registration-eligible AWs in cases when DOJ failed to process the registrations prior to the deadline, the prosecuting attorney would have a very difficult time arguing that you did something wrong when you followed the law, submitted a registration that should have been entered into the system, but wasn't because DOJ didn't comply with their statutory obligation through no fault of your own.

I think your take on this is right, SkyHawk. We'll see in the next few weeks, but my guess is DOJ will continue processing volregs after Dec. 31. If it wanted to stop processing volregs submitted prior to July 1, it likely would have done so on July 1, but it didn't.
Old 01-06-2019, 6:31 PM

Ya

I don't get it that we have deadlines to register but the overly high paid government employee that then hires undocumented contractors to do their work for them have no such deadline.