Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-06-2012, 1:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Riverside, Southern Province, People's Republic of KALIFORNIA
Default Took the gamble on a cheap SKS

I haven't seen anyone mention the $179 fair condition ChiCom C&R SKS' from Century so I figured I'd throw the dice...Just ordered last night so it will be a couple weeks before I see what shows up!

Before the mud slinging begins....I've been collecting SKS' for over 25 years since the days of $69 new Chinese and $99 non-refurb Russians @ Turners and have all the types except the holy grails, so I really don't care if I receive a really poor example. But I do enjoy gambling on buying something just to see what I receive and for $194 shipped I won't lose.
Heck the trigger group is worth a hundred bucks..

I also have enough spare parts to replace almost anything.

I have picked up several u-fix-em Mausers from Century that only needed cleaning and a small part or 2 and had a nice rifle for 40 bucks so I have often lucked out...

Will be back with pictures when the big brown truck stops at my house in a couple weeks.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Now a days it's hard to get any rifle for that amount of money - so the gamble is worth it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:40 PM

Wow, lets us know how it turns out. Still waiting on my C&R to come in the mail. I was planning on buying an M24/47, but if the SKS is in serviceable condition I may have to jump on it.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:42 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was planning on buying an M24/47, but if the SKS is in serviceable condition
Different breeds of cat. Everyone should have a bolt action, and everyone should have a semiauto.
Old 12-06-2012, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Different breeds of cat. Everyone should have a bolt action, and everyone should have a semiauto.
Yeah I know, I already have a 91/30. I really want an SKS, but I just love the look of the Mauser.
Old 12-06-2012, 3:44 PM

Sarco has 2 SKS survial kits.Kit A has somr parts for about 30 dollers and kit B has all of [A] plus a stock and hand guard and other parts for about 60.
Old 12-06-2012, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

This was a stupid decision. You should have ordered five and got free shipping.

You won't ever regret a $200 SKS. You will regret not buying a $200 SKS.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 12-06-2012, 4:48 PM
In Memoriam

No mud slinging. I paid way more than that for my Norinco and it has satisfied me in every way.

Well... not EVERY way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 12-06-2012, 5:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I actually picked up a new Chinese SKS 3 years ago off Gunbroker for $200 shipped.
Of course I had to pay $75 more for an FFL transfer but the $200 SKS wasn't that long ago...

Now that I think about it I got a few C&R Romys for $225 each a couple years ago too..
Old 12-06-2012, 6:46 PM
Calguns Addict

i like my cheep SKS i got on the turners sale. i put about 100 rounds thru it 2 weeks ago. it functions properly in every way.

Last edited by NOTABIKER; 12-07-2012 at 5:22 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 9:33 PM

Wow, I didn't know Century had them for that cheap...

Good grief...I might have to get another (or two)...
Old 12-06-2012, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'd do it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGGUY View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the $179 fair condition ChiCom C&R SKS' from Century so I figured I'd throw the dice...Just ordered last night so it will be a couple weeks before I see what shows up!

Will be back with pictures when the big brown truck stops at my house in a couple weeks.
I just placed my order with Century as well. This ought to be interesting as to what pics have been floating around here. To me of what I have seen, they all look to be in "fair" condition. So, in do time we shall see what we get JAGGUY.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGGUY View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the $179 fair condition ChiCom C&R SKS' from Century so I figured I'd throw the dice...
Expect a "fair" amount of rust.

I would go with "good/cracked stocked" over "fair" if that was the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0321jarhead View Post
I just placed my order with Century as well. This ought to be interesting as to what pics have been floating around here. To me of what I have seen, they all look to be in "fair" condition. ...
Nope. Most of the Sino-Banian SKS photos people have posted are "good" condition. The stocks may be beat to hell, but the metal is good. The "fair" rifles are in worse shape, with more than a little surface rust and pitting.

Last edited by lasbrg; 12-07-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

My first two Sino-Banians were from AIM ("fair" condition) and both had places where the metal looked like this:

I then ordered 5 from Grabagun ("good" condition) and another 5 from Centerfire ("good" condition) and none of these had any problems like this with the metal. Pay a little extra for as long as the better condition rifles are available.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM

lasbrg - thanks for sharing that. Painful to see. I think I will avoid the "fair" condition; I can deal with beat up wood, but rust pitting... no thanks.

What are you going to do to clean up the rust?
Old 12-07-2012, 1:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
lasbrg - thanks for sharing that. Painful to see. I think I will avoid the "fair" condition; I can deal with beat up wood, but rust pitting... no thanks.

What are you going to do to clean up the rust?
I don't know. I read something about scraping the rust with a copper (pre-1982) penny. Those are still in cosmoline waiting until I come up with a plan.
Old 12-07-2012, 3:25 PM

We shall see. The rust can be removed of what I use, "Evaporust". By the way, who were the importers on yours? All in all they all look like doggy doo but, I know some magic. Further more, its for my grandson ho...ho...ho! He'll like it no matter what it will look like.
Old 12-07-2012, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We shall see. The rust can be removed of what I use, "Evaporust".
Thanks for that tip!

Quote:
By the way, who were the importers on yours?
All the Chinese C&R SKSs on the market now (but rapidly selling out apparently) were imported by Century International Arms. They are all early production Type 56 SKSs with blade bayonets. Century refuses to give out any information on their history, but the consensus on the various forums is that these were sent by China as aid rifles to Albania back when Albania broke away from the Soviet Union. Hence the "Sino-Banian" (or "Sinobanian") moniker.
Old 12-07-2012, 7:56 PM

Default Sarco Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK1135 View Post
Sarco has 2 SKS survial kits.Kit A has somr parts for about 30 dollers and kit B has all of [A] plus a stock and hand guard and other parts for about 60.
This is a good recommendation, everyone should probably have some core replacement parts for each firearm they own.
Be strung to city gates and castle walls—
But still their Spirit walks abroad. Though years
Elapse, and others share as dark a doom,
They but augment the deep and sweeping thoughts
Which overpower all others, and conduct
The world at last to Freedom.

Last edited by OneGun; 02-25-2013 at 4:08 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
My first two Sino-Banians were from AIM ("fair" condition) and both had places where the metal looked like this:

I then ordered 5 from Grabagun ("good" condition) and another 5 from Centerfire ("good" condition) and none of these had any problems like this with the metal. Pay a little extra for as long as the better condition rifles are available.
Thanks for sharing this pic. It really got me thinking about the barrel having pitting issues. Just got off the phone with sales rep at C.A.I. S. Stanko and was able to cancel the order. So, again thanks for the pic.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this pic. It really got me thinking about the barrel having pitting issues. Just got off the phone with sales rep at C.A.I. S. Stanko and was able to cancel the order. So, again thanks for the pic.
You're welcome 0321jarhead. (Also thanks for the link in the PM.)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should make clear that the rusty SKS photo is not one of mine - it is another 2012 Century Chinese Sino-Banian from another forum. All 12 Type 53s I bought are still in cosmoline in storage and will probably stay that way until my mother-in-law goes home. I bought two, the first two, in "fair" condition and they both had sections on the metal that looked like the photo. Learning from this, I bought five more in "good" condition. When they proved to be in much better shape (no rust to speak of), I bought another five in "good" condition and they were also in great condition. This last batch included my "Iron Maiden" SKS.

So in my experience, the "fair" condition rifles should be avoided. To me, the good condition/cracked stock SKSs have the big advantage that they can be "bubba-ed" without feeling guilty about defacing a historic object. I just bought two Tapco T6 stocks ($61 each shipped at Buds) and two SKS drum magazines ($69 each from Centerfire during the one-day sale last week), but I am still unsure which guns to modify. I suppose it will be the two with rust, but it would have been much more convenient if these two had good metal and bad stocks instead of the other way around..
Old 12-10-2012, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

the thing about sks is they are made of thick metal and it takes a long time to rust through i would love that rust bucket i bet it shots fine

scrub it up with some oil and steel wool
Old 12-10-2012, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
the thing about sks is they are made of thick metal and it takes a long time to rust through i would love that rust bucket i bet it shots fine

That's good to hear bohoki, thanks! So you think the chrome-lined barrels are ok (0321jarhead's concern) when the exterior shows a lot of pitting?
Old 12-10-2012, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want to see what a "fair" Century $179 SKS looks like, check this thread and scroll down towards the bottom. They're pretty rough.

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/u...c;f=1;t=057323
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 12-10-2012, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I already have 8 SKSs but still regret not buying one of these...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 12-10-2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post

Think of the barrel like the P.G.& E. gas pipe that blew up in San Bruno a couple years back. Or even a water main pipe downtown that sprung a leak do to corrosion. The pitting is then a weak spot. It does not have to "rust through" to create a weak spot. With what I just saw on that other forum post with the CAI "Fair" condition rust buckets, it would'nt be worth it to spend $179 just to blow up and injure or kill me or others nearby me. Those should be sold as "You fix ems" or for parts only. IMHO, I would not even want one as a wall hanger.

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-b...=1;t=057323;p=
Old 12-10-2012, 6:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

OMG, that one in the link is just a ball of rust with some unrusted metal around it. Yikes, no thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'll wait and see. The examples shown on Survivor's SKS board look pretty good, nothing like shown here...
Old 12-10-2012, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

The rusty ones look pretty ruff.

But I would bet you it runs like a top, the beauty of the SKS is it runs even if its in ugly condition

So its clearly a roll of the dice, some may be diamonds in the rough .. some not so much
Old 12-15-2012, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post

I agree! I just sent back for refund the $179 SKS from Century, wood was good BUT the buttplate, receiver, dust cover, bolt carrier were deeply pitted and it was loaded to the gunnels with cosmoline and dirt. Sorry I don't do pitting, rough wood I can handle pitting no! I requested no pitting when I ordered and got mucho pitting. Plus the packaging was poor, it went back pacaked and padded the way it should have been shipped to me! I often wonder what came first the cosmoline or the pitting

Last edited by aghauler; 12-15-2012 at 7:28 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
If you want to see what a "fair" Century $179 SKS looks like, check this thread and scroll down towards the bottom. They're pretty rough.

http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/u...c;f=1;t=057323
Bet it had a "GREAT Bore" though
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 PM

The ones on that link looked ruff to me too.

The above sks, has a little rust on the receiver cover(swapable) and a tiny bit on the receiver. Seems 'fair' condition to me, unless it was sold as something else.

It's hardly worth xraying or anything but functionally that rifle looks fine.