Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-22-2018, 8:54 PM

Default Advice on Shield sight

I want to install adjustable sight on S&W Shield. Any suggestions?
Old 02-23-2018, 6:00 AM
Veteran Member

I mean no disrespect, but what’s the purpose? Are you planning to shoot 50 - 100 yards with this pocket pistol?

I don’t know of any adjustable rear sights for this pistol (I own one) but can’t say I ever bothered to look for one because I conceal-carry mine.

One advice though, changing out the sights on these, and also old M&P pistols will make you pop a vein... So best to leave it to someone with proper tools or just someone with patience.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:10 AM

If there are no adjustable sight for some gun, I use
(1) MGW Range Master Compact Universal Sight Installation Tool + Slide shoe for the gun
it will adjust rear sight for windage
(2) Dawson Precision Fiber Sight
They have several height option, so elevation can be changed by replacing front sight
Old 02-23-2018, 8:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Back in the days I was shooting my nickel plated S&W 469, which is the most accurate compact 9mm I ever had. It was so accurate that I wanted adjustable sights for it. Peeps laughed at me, but I ended up selling the pistol to an uncle that really wanted it.

More than likely you’ll need a gunsmith to do this for you. Check for adjustable type rear sights that will fit in Novak style dovetail. The front sight is easy to fabricate once you find the rear sight.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 02-23-2018, 8:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'm thinking there may be some milling involved here, so the cost would really outweigh the benefit for me. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't see the gun being a target gun that would make me think it needed adjustable sights.
Old 02-23-2018, 9:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I'm thinking there may be some milling involved here, so the cost would really outweigh the benefit for me. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't see the gun being a target gun that would make me think it needed adjustable sights.
Definitely will need milling or at the least a dovetail file in the hands of a competent gunsmith. Iíve done a handgun where I miled the male dovetail to fit the slideís dovetail, thatís if the flats on the slide accommodates the rear sight. Need a gunsmith that will effectively think outside the box instead of just following the instructions that came in the package.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 02-23-2018, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGunner View Post
I want to install adjustable sight on S&W Shield. Any suggestions?
Adjustable sights on a Shield = hammer and file.

Knock the rear sight left or right to adjust windage. File the front or rear sight to adjust height.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 02-23-2018, 2:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Are you trying to overcome a specific issue, or do you just like the idea of an adjustable sight?

My 9mm Shield would not shoot 147g ammo to POA. A .020 taller front sight and taking .020 off the rear sight solved the problem.
Old 02-23-2018, 3:31 PM

OP here a couple that may work, just check the size of your dovetail, you also may end up replacing front sight. There are other sights that may work too, like Dawson Precision S&W M&P sights. Novak sight on Brownells has review from someone who installed it on Shield.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...nt=662-000-070

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/99...iABEgLqCfD_BwE

Last edited by MyOdessa; 02-23-2018 at 3:34 PM..
Old 02-24-2018, 9:17 AM

I put Truglo tritium sights on my 2 Shields. Why? because I can now find them in my bedroom at 3 in the morning. The shield is NOT a range toy. It is a carry/self defense gun. But you should definitely spend a lot of range time shooting it. It is a small gun and was not that easy for me to get proficient with. Adjustable sights for a self defense gun that will be used at 10 yards? Not a lot of wind deflection between you and the bad guy.
If you do change the sights; the rear can be a bugger. SW screwed mine down with RED Loktite. Red is for permanent installations! AND, if I remember correctly; should be removed in a certain direction. Pay a 'smith to do the work. Well worth the few dollars. I really like my Shields and hope you enjoy yours as much. I also modified the grips on each. Those made a BIG difference. Enjoy.
.................................................. ............................
Remember to donate to the NRA today in order to counter the anti 2a go NRA.org Help save your rights that are slowly being taken away.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM

Check out Advantage Tactical Sights. They are "fixed - adjustable" sights. The rear sight can be easily moved for windage and then locked in by tightening a hex screw. The front sight requires a bit more effort...there are thin shims that will raise or lower the front sight so you can adjust for elevation....but the front sight will need to be drifted on/off out of the dovetail to be able to add or remove the shims. So this can dial in the sights to the specific ammo that you use.

There are 2 styles for the Advantage Tactical Sights.... the original "Pyramid Sights" and there new "Dark Diamond Sights". I like them both...but am slightly partial to the Dark Diamond design. Both systems have different color combos....I seem to pick up these colored sights much faster and better than the traditional patridge type sights.

https://advantagetactical.com/collec...s-atdds?page=1

My favorite Cooper quote about the rifle:
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Old 02-26-2018, 12:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post
I mean no disrespect, but whatís the purpose? Are you planning to shoot 50 - 100 yards with this pocket pistol?

I donít know of any adjustable rear sights for this pistol (I own one) but canít say I ever bothered to look for one because I conceal-carry mine.

One advice though, changing out the sights on these, and also old M&P pistols will make you pop a vein... So best to leave it to someone with proper tools or just someone with patience.
I installed XS Big Dot sights on my Shield and I don't really know if I like it, though I think if I dropped my glasses, the dots would still work well for me so I'll keep them.

Removing the stock rear sight peened two brass punches and damaged a aluminum sight pusher. I don't know how they install those things, but they are TOUGH to remove.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 PM

I had to use heat from a small blowtorch to loosen the Loctite from the small set screw on the rear sight(heating the inserted allen wrench, not the gun itself).