Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Up until recently I haven't been into WWII German stuff, just too many fakes and unless you are knowledgeable about the intricacies of what is real and what is fake, you can make some very expensive mistakes.

Now, you get into US military stuff and I am fairly well versed on it back to the Revolutionary War.

But, did I mention my lack of focus? I also have been buying Smith and Wesson's for many years and I have a thing for AK47's as well as early variations of the M16. A decent pre '70 commercial Colt 1911 or a Colt revolver will also attract my money like ants to a picnic.

I don't really consider this hobby to be an investment either, but if I didn't buy firearms and accouterments I would no doubt just waste my money on bills and food. At least my son likes guns as much as I do, so I know that when he inherits my junk he will enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Up until recently I haven't been into WWII German stuff, just too many fakes and unless you are knowledgeable about the intricacies of what is real and what is fake, you can make some very expensive mistakes.

Now, you get into US military stuff and I am fairly well versed on it back to the Revolutionary War.

But, did I mention my lack of focus? I also have been buying Smith and Wesson's for many years and I have a thing for AK47's as well as early variations of the M16. A decent pre '70 commercial Colt 1911 or a Colt revolver will also attract my money like ants to a picnic.

I don't really consider this hobby to be an investment either, but if I didn't buy firearms and accouterments I would no doubt just waste my money on bills and food. At least my son likes guns as much as I do, so I know that when he inherits my junk he will enjoy it.
Guns I like to "collect"
P-38 (cyq/cvq/byf/SVW) by years of mfg and various known roll markings. Several bring back sets with original as captured.
S&W 27/28's NIB / LNIB matching box / accessories,
S&W Mountain gun/revolvers (29/629) NIB / LNIB matching box/accessories
SiG Sauer WGERMANY and GERMANY made P226/228 NIB / LNIB original box/accessories
Winchester model 94 saddle ring carbines

I also collect civil war era M1860 light cavalry sabers made by Mansfield & Lamb or Emerson and Silver. Again there are "years of mfg" and a variety of "inspectors initials" to collect within each manufacturer.

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 02-23-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Aren't those all K frames? Never seen a 4" J frame, I think they made one in a .22 just never seen one.
Model 30 j frame was a blued .32 cal available with 4 inch barrel.

The .22 was called the "kit" gun with 4 inch barrel. It was available in blued or stainless.

There were quite a few S&W j frames in .32 and .38 from years ago that were avilable in 2,3,5 and 6 inch models.

I believe most of the 4, 5 and 6 inch models had adjustable sights.

Last edited by ARDude; 02-23-2018 at 11:36 AM..
Old 02-23-2018, 3:00 PM

There are 152 Model 19 s for sale on Gunbroker right now. It would take some work to figure out which might be C&R (pre 1968) but with the S&W catalog's list of serial numbers it might be possible. I've bought two .C&R S&Ws on Gunbroker and had them shipped. But you need catalog's serial numbers to prove to receiving FFL that it is old enuf to qualify. Buying the book is a good investment for anyone interested in older Smiths.
Old 02-23-2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Yeah,... my bad. They are N frames like my S&W Mountain Guns / Revolvers... same barrel too (Edit made). I was looking at a nice L frame 686 in the classifieds and got careless.

I am buying them because I like them and enjoy finding the "just right ones". Add to that the difficulty in finding sellers on gunbroker who will sell to KAliforniastan and they are even harder to find. If I find something I like, I never want to loose it because I was penny wise and dollar dumb. Finding guns in the condition I want with all the accessories I want is rare.. and I expect to have to pay for that. I get even more pissed when I find that "perfect addition" to my collection was lost because I was $25, $50 or $100 too cheap. So yes.. when I find something I like, I am willing to pay up. I get great satisfaction out of 'finishing the hunt" and these beautiful revolvers give me great pleasure knowing I am their custodian thru a little bit of their existence.

Do I mind paying up to $1000 and sometimes more (LNIB 3 1/2" or 5" P&R model 27-2 with original box and accessories).. I guess not. These guns in excellent original condition with original boxes / papers and sometimes original receipt cost me $700 to $1500 depending. I enjoy every one once delivered.

Happily, my collecting (of many things) of fine older things is a hobby I enjoy immensely and I would never look at it as "investing". My investments are marketable securities, Real Estate and precious metals. My collecting of guns, watches, swords, cars and military vehicles are my hobbies that my investments allow me to indulge in.
Thank you for your perspective on the purchase of your revolvers. I wasn't intending to be judgmental or critical on the amount you might pay; I was only trying to get a viewpoint from a connoisseur such as yourself. Obviously, what one is willing to pay depends on several factors.

Like you, I have a desire for Smith M28s. I currently have a S&W Pre-28 5-screw Highway Patrolman with a trigger that is phenomenal. It's whetted my appetite for more such older S&W revolvers. I'm always on the lookout, and I'm interested on where one might find such revolvers besides Gunbroker.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaw View Post
Thank you for your perspective on the purchase of your revolvers. I wasn't intending to be judgmental or critical on the amount you might pay; I was only trying to get a viewpoint from a connoisseur such as yourself. Obviously, what one is willing to pay depends on several factors.

Like you, I have a desire for Smith M28s. I currently have a S&W Pre-28 5-screw Highway Patrolman with a trigger that is phenomenal. It's whetted my appetite for more such older S&W revolvers. I'm always on the lookout, and I'm interested on where one might find such revolvers besides Gunbroker.
I love the matte finish of the model 28's. Its hard to find ones without a fair amount of holster wear as many if not most were actually used by LEO's across the country as duty guns before the advent of the reliable wonder nines. I have found it hard to find model 28's with original boxes and accessories for the same reason... they were bought as tools by LEO's who never gave a second thought to future collect-ability or value.

In addition to Gunbroker, I look here, at Lock, stock and barrel in Semi valley (estate liquidators) and Little Johns auction house (estate liquidators) here in OC.
Old 02-28-2018, 6:15 AM

no-dash 686 6 shot i picked up awhile back.

gun with very low round count, 7 boxes of winchester and federal 357, 2 holsters and a cartridge belt ( bianchi) and 4 safariland speedloaders for $150 bucks private party (yea its true).

only thing it didnt have is the original grips or box, but for the price whos complaining!

it now has a professional high polish mirror finish on it. cant stand dull stainless!
Old 03-02-2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Just gotta be patient at the right place at the right time. They pop up on the market place...

Wow those are nice and go well with the Baer...