Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 PM

Default CZ 75SA

Was wondering if anyone here has experience with a CZ 75 single action??

I'm in market and considering but haven't found one at a local range to rent to try it out. I've determined very recently that apart from an HK P30, that I have, I don't shoot double actions very well and a huge 1911 fan. So I've been considering a new handgun and been l9oking at a CZ, single action.

Any have experience with one that can share?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:39 PM

Any of the non D model 75s can be shot in single action, and even carried cocked and locked if desired. The 75SA is still a B model, which means it has the firing pin block safety, which means (compared to a 1911) the trigger will have a lot of take up. If you want a 1911-like trigger, you want a Shadow model or a pre-B 75, any of which can pretty easily be converted to SA only. I have a SP01 Shadow from Cajun Customs and it has the best trigger of any handgun I own, in fact better than 80% of my rifle triggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a 75B-SA in 40 SW. I like it, nice gun. All steel, shoots accurately and reliably. I like the trigger. I've shot several CZ's that had trigger jobs, all were too light for me. The stock CZ SA has a good feel for me personally. My favorite is probably a Beretta 92 when in SA mode.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

They're so affordable, you should just buy one.

I sold one with Cajun Gunworks parts, extra grips, etc. for what $450?

Only reason I got rid of it is to make up space in the safe. I've got one CZ in particular that's hot rodded and refinished too.

Anyway, this is the kind of gun that you're going to like even if you don't try it first. Guarantee it.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 02-21-2018, 6:31 AM

I’ve had my SA for about 5 years now. Kind of like the bastard child of the 75 series.

Strictly a range toy. Ambi Extended safety, upswept beaver tail, decent trigger. I paired mine with the kadet for the new shooters. Fun times.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:27 AM

CZ 75 B SA can be modified CZ 75 SA (non-B) by removing FPB.
I installed several CGW parts, 6SAO trigger can adjust pre travel and stop.
Old 02-21-2018, 9:42 AM

How is the reset on the SA? Is it long like the one on the 75b?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM

Default CZ 75B SA

Have one and got some parts form Cajun and did a little DIY with youtube assistance (there are tons of them and it was easy) and its turn out to be one of the best I have. If you are considering getting one, strongly suggest to get the 10X bushing from Cajun and you yourself will see wonders on how ACCURATE it will become.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM

I have a SP-01 and a 75C and run them both single action most of the time. I did have the Cajun Pro kit installed by a local gunsmith on both of them and it did make a difference in the triggers. I have a friend who has a 75SA and he said the trigger on my SP-01 was definitely better than his.
Old 02-21-2018, 1:34 PM

OP: Where are you located? Maybe you can meet with someone and try their CZ 75B SAO out.

Some differences between SAO and BD model:
SAO: extended beaver tail. straight blade trigger. full length rail. drop free magazines. (don't know if this last one is still only on the SAO)
Old 02-21-2018, 2:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bought my CZ75B SA without shooting it. It's one of my favorites, I shoot it every time I go to the range.
Old 02-21-2018, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx20mm View Post
I bought my CZ75B SA without shooting it. It's one of my favorites, I shoot it every time I go to the range.
I did the same.

Mine has a pretty sucky trigger out of the box. Kind of like a regular cz75B in single action mode. Nothing to write home about.
Not sure what that trigger is made of, but it sure is fugly and feels like painted pot metal. Wished they had put a stainless and curved trigger in it.

May be because I'm used to 1911s and it takes a very fine trigger to impress me.
Old 02-21-2018, 4:46 PM

Imho, 75 SA is the best hand gun out the for the price. I also prefer the feel of straight trigger over any curved trigger, especially over the black trigger that comes on most DA/SA CZ's.
Old 02-21-2018, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigbird View Post
Imho, 75 SA is the best hand gun out the for the price. I also prefer the feel of straight trigger over any curved trigger, especially over the black trigger that comes on most DA/SA CZ's.
???
IIRC, only steel-framed compacts come with the curved black triggers. Most of my DA/SA CZs that come with curved triggers have a plated nickel finish.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 02-21-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
???
IIRC, only steel-framed compacts come with the curved black triggers. Most of my DA/SA CZs that come with curved triggers have a plated nickel finish.
Huh? The SP-01 comes with that crappy curved black trigger. The aluminum compact/PCR now comes with the black trigger, not the plated nickel finish anymore.
Old 02-21-2018, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigbird View Post
Huh? The SP-01 comes with that crappy curved black trigger. The aluminum compact/PCR now comes with the black trigger, not the plated nickel finish anymore.

To my knowledge the black "recurve" CZ trigger can come factory on the following models P-01, PCR, RAMI, CZ97BD, 75BD, SP-01/Tac, Steel frame Compact safety model w/ Rail (SP-01 Compact). In some cases some of these CZ models can ship with one of a few different triggers depending on the batch.
Link--> What is a CZ Tactical sport?
Reloading on 2x550's to feed my CZ armada.

Last edited by Tok36; 02-24-2018 at 2:06 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 6:44 PM
Calguns Addict

My first SP-01 came with nickel trigger my second one came with black trigger.
Old 02-21-2018, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a CZ75 B SA. The trigger isn't exactly straight, there is a slight curve and the trigger is fitted with an overtravel adjustment screw. Its trigger has a lot more creep than I would like, almost 1/16" as measured at the top of the trigger from the "wall" where sear disengagement begins to the break. At the bottom of the trigger the creep measures just over 1/4". Nothing to write home about.

Overtravel is near nil with the overtravel screw showing only half the tip of the screw beyond the rear face of the trigger.

Accuracy is good, better than my Colt Government 1911, which has not had any trigger or accuracy work.

I don't shoot it as much as I would if it had a better trigger. I've been strongly considering sending it off to Cajun Gun Works.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:01 PM

Wow... that was way more info than I expected.. thank you all for giving me more to learn.

In do have one question that I'm sure will be considered a dumb one.... is it worth it to spend the extra money on a CZ 75 TS Tactical Sports over a CZ75 SA? At about twice the cost is there any value to getting the SA and then having it upgraded?

I don't necessarily have a specific budget I'm holding to, but I see no need to spend extra if not needed. No what i mean?
Old 02-23-2018, 8:02 PM

Also, im understanding correctly that a SP01 can be converted to a SAO?
Old 02-23-2018, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Is a CZ 75 TS worth the extra money?

For me yes it is.

Old 02-23-2018, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Tactical sport is the best buy on the roster and one of the best buy in pistols. Worth every penny.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFeetZ View Post
Wow... that was way more info than I expected.. thank you all for giving me more to learn.

In do have one question that I'm sure will be considered a dumb one.... is it worth it to spend the extra money on a CZ 75 TS Tactical Sports over a CZ75 SA? At about twice the cost is there any value to getting the SA and then having it upgraded?

I don't necessarily have a specific budget I'm holding to, but I see no need to spend extra if not needed. No what i mean?
The Tac-Sport is all that and a bag of nuts! Be aware that it has a considerably larger grip and magazines do cost more.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
I have a CZ75 B SA. The trigger isn't exactly straight, there is a slight curve and the trigger is fitted with an overtravel adjustment screw. Its trigger has a lot more creep than I would like, almost 1/16" as measured at the top of the trigger from the "wall" where sear disengagement begins to the break. At the bottom of the trigger the creep measures just over 1/4". Nothing to write home about.

Overtravel is near nil with the overtravel screw showing only half the tip of the screw beyond the rear face of the trigger.

Accuracy is good, better than my Colt Government 1911, which has not had any trigger or accuracy work.

I don't shoot it as much as I would if it had a better trigger. I've been strongly considering sending it off to Cajun Gun Works.
The trick to the trigger is actually the hammer and sear. The stock hammer has longer "hooks" that cam before releasing. The Cajun Gun Works race or competition hammer have much shorter hooks. When combined with the rest of the Pro-Package you get a really good trigger pull.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFeetZ View Post
Also, im understanding correctly that a SP01 can be converted to a SAO?
Yes it can. I had this done with my SP01. You can send it to CZ customs or Cajun gun works. Or you can buy the parts and do it yourself, there are many youtube videos about doing this. The trigger pull is drastically improved, but I still prefer the trigger of a good 1911.
Old 02-23-2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDL View Post
Yes it can. I had this done with my SP01. You can send it to CZ customs or Cajun gun works. Or you can buy the parts and do it yourself, there are many youtube videos about doing this. The trigger pull is drastically improved, but I still prefer the trigger of a good 1911.
By removing FPB, my SP-01's trigger travel length adjusted to 0.125 inch (at finger position) / trigger pull 2.25LBS.
but I still prefer the trigger of revolver...
Old 02-23-2018, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
Is a CZ 75 TS worth the extra money?

For me yes it is.

Lol I love it!!!

OP the 75SA is a great pistol. I recommend sending it in for upgrades or getting parts and installing them yourself from CZcustom or Cajungunworks. With $100-$300 worth of extras, you can have a really amazing pistol.
Or check out the CZ TS as others have mentioned. Amazing trigger right out of the box. TS is not a HD handgun though, trigger is too light IMO for that.

Last edited by hunterb; 02-23-2018 at 9:08 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm thinking of sending my wife's 75B-SA to CGW. What upgrades and services does everyone recommend?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-24-2018, 8:52 AM

How many of you guys removed the firing pin block on your CZs? And do you like the trigger and reset?
Old 02-24-2018, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690 Enduro R View Post
How many of you guys removed the firing pin block on your CZs? And do you like the trigger and reset?
I have removed the FPB from one of my CZs. For a range/comp pistol i do not have an issue with a non FPB set up. For anything els i would rather have the FPB left intact for the small potential gains.

Removing the FPB from a CZ B (FPB) model pistol essentially turns it into a Shadow (non FPB model) model. It can reduce the Single Action reset distance a bit more than a B model with with a CGW shot reset kit installed. With a hand fitted CGW Type-3 disconnector a CZs SA can be tuned so that when the trigger resets the triggers forward travel stops. There are more details about about my experiences with this modification in my Sig "Disco fitting fun". In my opinion you gain very little with the FPB removed alone. With a few other modifications it becomes more worth it to me.
Link--> What is a CZ Tactical sport?
Reloading on 2x550's to feed my CZ armada.

Last edited by Tok36; 02-24-2018 at 4:07 PM..
Old 02-24-2018, 3:38 PM

I have a SP01 and a 75 B SA both with CGW pro kits installed. The SA has the FPB removed. Is it noticeable...yes. Is it needed? I have to say no. When I first shot them side by side my first thought was “wow the SP01 sure has a ton of pre travel but in fact it does not. In many cases when I let friends try the SA they had a double tap along the way. Kinda funny sometimes. Would I do it again ? Probably not. Will I be changing it back. No. I will tell you this though that my SA with the pro package, no FPB, and a Kadet kit is flat outstanding!!! That most likely is the reason I will leave it out of the B SA . Also I would think a person could get overzealous by going to light on trigger pull.
Old 02-25-2018, 1:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@515 View Post
The trick to the trigger is actually the hammer and sear. The stock hammer has longer "hooks" that cam before releasing. The Cajun Gun Works race or competition hammer have much shorter hooks. When combined with the rest of the Pro-Package you get a really good trigger pull.
That's my understanding also. I work on guns all day at work and am at the point that I don't want to work on my own... odd as that may sound. If anyone goes into the CZ's trigger, it most likely won't be me.
Old 02-25-2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
I did the same.

Mine has a pretty sucky trigger out of the box. Kind of like a regular cz75B in single action mode. Nothing to write home about.
Not sure what that trigger is made of, but it sure is fugly and feels like painted pot metal. Wished they had put a stainless and curved trigger in it.

May be because I'm used to 1911s and it takes a very fine trigger to impress me.
You're not imagining things. Stock CZs have quite terrible triggers apart from competition models; SP-01 Tac, regular SP-01, 75B SS, 75BD, 75 SA. All have tons of creep. CGW is going to stay in business until the dude decides to retire...

Referral Links (we both get money!): Active Junky (6% Cabela's / 4% Brownell's) ||| Lemoney (4% eBay / 10% Brownells / 9% Cabela's / 12% Walmart / 5% Best Buy) ||| Raise (gift cards) ||| SwagBucks (6% Cabela's / 2% Raise / 1% eBay)
Old 02-25-2018, 9:11 AM

I've got a 75-SA and put in a CGW hammer/sear, trigger, trigger reset spring, and short reset system. I did the install myself with only youtube as a teacher and it was as easy as can be. A guy next to me at the range recently had a stock 75-SA, so we swapped guns for a few mags. I have forgotten how creepy the stock trigger was.

One word of warning. On mine, for some reason, the firing pin that comes with the short reset system is long enough to ignite some ammo even with the firing pin block in the way. I think that if I was to do this again, I'd just remove the firing pin block entirely, and not bother with the short reset system. Also, I use this gun with my Kadet kit a lot, where there is no firing pin block anyway, but the lighter hammer spring used with the short reset system sometimes doesn't ignite the 22 rounds.