Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Sharpening

I have a Benchmade Triage that needs to be sharpened. I know Benchmade will sharpen for free, but it is about a 4 week turn around. Do anyone know somewhere in Stockton that can Do a good job without damaging the blade, while I wait?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamble View Post
I have a Benchmade Triage that needs to be sharpened. I know Benchmade will sharpen for free, but it is about a 4 week turn around. Do anyone know somewhere in Stockton that can Do a good job without damaging the blade, while I wait?
Can't help you with that, but the spyderco sharpmaker was the best investment for all my knives...

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Bench made will do a great job.

I would highly encourage you to learn about sharpening knives.

Once can do a lot with a neoprene mousepad and some auto body sanding paper

Sharpening is a great skill to have.... you can start out with cheap knives and cheap stones or other sharpening tools.

Works your way up as skill and budget allow.

I sharpen knives for family when I am in their town... a great sharp kitchen knife that slices tomatoes and does not squish them nor tear their skin is a great thing to make happen for aunts, moms, girlfriends moms... anyone who is not on blood thinners....

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-13-2018, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’ve been using a Lansky sharpening system, I highly recommend it. I started using it last week and it puts a great edge on all my knives. If you do buy it, buy a stand as well ($50) for both or you can get the diamond stones $80+$10 for the stand). Buy bandages too. You can find YouTube videos on how to use it, I recommend Gough Customs, he did a good video.
Old 02-13-2018, 9:45 AM

Benchmade only took 2 weeks with my knife.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. When did you send you knife to Benchmade?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anybody head of this?

http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/...hoCyp8QAvD_BwE
Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seen them somewhere, I looks just like the Lansky, just more fancy, and twice as much.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:58 PM

You can do a pretty good job with only a stone and some oil. That's how it was done in the old days when your average guy didn't have the fancy sharpening devices that are made today.

Get a few old knives, a few different types of stones and a small bench vise to secure them. Do some reading on the subject and then start practicing.

I have a friend who can sharpen an ordinary hatchet sharp enough to shave the hair on his arm.
Old 02-15-2018, 7:11 PM

It has been more than a half century, but when I was a Boy Scout, to earn my “Totin’ Chip” https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Totin%27_Chip I had to show that I knew how to sharpen a hatchet and a knife. Doesn’t anyone belong to the Boy Scouts anymore?
Knives are easy to sharpen, as long as they don’t have serrations. I don’t like those things because I have to use diamond files in the fillets. But plain edge blades, I use a coarse DMT diamond hone to set the bevel, and finish with a fine.

I recommend an 8 inch stone, and perhaps the most important tool, is the magnifying glass on my Swiss Army Knife. I use that magnifying glass to look at the edge and see what I am doing. It is critically important to maintain the same angle each and every sweep. The glass will tell you if you are not keeping that angle, you will see it on the bevel.

Start on something cheap, like a cheap paring knife. Just hone away till it is gone, if need be, to get the hang of it. It takes me about 20 minutes, sometimes longer, to finish a stockman knife. I think for a four inch fixed blade, about 20 minutes of honing is about right. I set the bevel with the coarse, and finish with the fine.
Old 02-15-2018, 8:57 PM

I strongly agree with the suggestions for the Spyderco Sharpmaker and the magnifier.

I've been using the same Sharpmaker for many years, and it works really well for a 20 degree edge. Once you get a feel for those stones, you can get a set of poorly-maintainted, cheap stainless kitchen knives up and running in twenty minutes. A good knife will be shaving hair in half that time.

I use one of these to check progress, and for a million other tasks!

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-MicroB...=p_89%3ACarson

For $12 that little guy will show you exactly what your edge looks like as you work your way through the grits. You don't need that much magnification to inspect a knife edge, but it is useful for other tasks.

Remember, if it won't shave hair, it is just a blunt object.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM

The Spyderco Sharp Maker is worth the money. Really easy to use, and you'll have excellent results. No disrespect intended, but any grown man should learn to sharpen his own knife. And, pay somebody to shine your shoes.
Old 02-16-2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
The Spyderco Sharp Maker is worth the money. Really easy to use, and you'll have excellent results. No disrespect intended, but any grown man should learn to sharpen his own knife. And, pay somebody to shine your shoes.
This.
Another vote for Spyderco. It keeps all my Benchmades stay razor sharp.
Old 02-16-2018, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Spyderco Sharpmaker here too. I use it on all our Damascus Japanese kitchen knives and on my Randall Bird and Trout. You can not bugger the edge like when learning to use a stone and oil. Well worth the money.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
No disrespect intended, but any grown man should learn to sharpen his own knife.
I get this from friends because I cant/don't use stones. Are stones with the proper technique the best, yes! Is the sharpmaker and the like second best, my answer is yes! I never could color within the lines & I still can't hold a constant angle. So for me, the sharpmaker was a godsend!
Old 02-17-2018, 2:34 AM
Veteran Member

If you are lazy but smart, the Work Sharp is awesome.
Old 02-18-2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
I get this from friends because I cant/don't use stones. Are stones with the proper technique the best, yes! Is the sharpmaker and the like second best, my answer is yes! I never could color within the lines & I still can't hold a constant angle. So for me, the sharpmaker was a godsend!
It takes practice, everything takes practice. This is not insurmountable. Just finished sharpening three Queen Stockman's tonight. The factory guy, it is obvious that palm down he did fine, but palm up, he was horrible. The bevel on that side was closer to ninety degrees than 20. I spent over an hour sharpening all three, took my time, examined what I was doing with the magnifying glass, all the time, and, all the knives are sharp. You just have to work at it.

Of course, my Brother in Law does not understand why I cannot draw like him. He takes a pencil or a pen and creates something that looks real. I cannot draw a tree. I tried, I could not draw a realistic tree.

I am not a total failure though, I can sharpen a knife.!
Old 02-18-2018, 6:17 PM

Ive found that wicked edge pro is the best for my knives..
Sharpens standard benchmades all the way to my winkler knives with a razor fine finish and its easy as can be.
Old 02-18-2018, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Sharpening a knife is no big deal. If you do it when sober and have a steady hand. Follow the angle your blade came with circular motion with light oil. Take your time. Watch a you tube for technique ideas.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg