Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
For the people that just want to heckle me, GET A LIFE!

I'm retired at age 47 sorry if your jealous. I care that this particular AR seems to be overgassed. I have plenty of time and money on my hands to pay attention to these trivial things.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
If I custom forge a brass receiver, do I need to worry about brass marks?

Maybe I should grind off the brass deflector so the brass can't hit it
Put some pictures up of your personal guns that have this amount of brass being deposited after very few rounds and I'll accept that its "normal". Comparing my ejection to the above slowmo videos my cases are striking the deflector with a single flat side hit which indicates the system is overgassed. I'll continue to learn and be willing to ask questions despite all the useless stupid and sarcastic comments from those that obviously don't know enough to contribute in a positive manner.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Why is this still a thing?
Its like wondering why your plate is dirty after you just ate on it and trying to eat off the counter so you dont have to get your pretty plates dirty.
Yeah its exactly like that....Your super smart! Thanks so much for giving me such a great analogy.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In the last 10 months since you started this thread, have you tried ANY of the suggestions people have given you? Even one? Or are you having more fun just speculating and arguing?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:17 PM

^^^Probably the latter
Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I had my cousin video the ejection with my iphone in slowmo. It appears to be a single strike to the deflector as your video demonstrates on an over gassed gun.
The number of strikes is immaterial.
What matters is how hard its hitting the deflector and therefore which direction it is ultimately departing the gun.
You have said the brass is landing between 3pm and 5:30pm which shows that the gun is not overgassed enough for the brass to be bouncing off the deflector so hard that is is primarily landing forward of 3pm.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 09-24-2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
In the last 10 months since you started this thread, have you tried ANY of the suggestions people have given you? Even one? Or are you having more fun just speculating and arguing?
Yes I've tried many of the suggestions. I tried my buddy's BCG from an identical upper, in fact it had been my upper that I sold to him. I tried a WMD nickel boron BCG. I inspected the brass as recommended and found the dents. I compared the ejection pattern from three other AR's and found the others to be much more consistent in their ejection pattern. Over six different AR's and this one is more erratic with ejection, dented cases, and in comparison a massive amount of brass being deposited compared to the others.
Old 09-24-2017, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The number of strikes is immaterial.
What matters is how hard its hitting the deflector and therefore which direction it is ultimately departing the gun.
You have said the brass is landing between 3pm and 5:30pm which shows that the gun is not overgassed enough for the brass to be bouncing off the deflector so hard that is is primarily landing forward of 3pm.
It's a bit confusing that the video you posted specifically explains that an overgassed AR will have a single hit vs two hits and your saying that it doesn't matter when the video specifically says and shows it "matters".
Old 09-24-2017, 2:28 PM

I wonder if this entire topic would have had more constructive input if I was a reloader and wanted help figuring out why all of my spent brass was dented in this gun but doesn't happen in any of my other AR's.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:50 AM

My ar47 gets real beat up from steel cases. It's a gun not a super model.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get an adjustable gas block? Then you can adjust the gas to how you like.... Or get a heavier buffer?

In REALITY: LISTEN TO RANDALL. (ar15barrels) He has forgotten more about AR's than I will ever know...
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I wonder if this entire topic would have had more constructive input if I was a reloader and wanted help figuring out why all of my spent brass was dented in this gun but doesn't happen in any of my other AR's.
Then we'd call into question your ability to reload and it would have twice as many pages

Night Vision For Beginners: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post19858692

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
I can get surgical with my shotty.
Old 09-25-2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Get an adjustable gas block? Then you can adjust the gas to how you like.... Or get a heavier buffer?

In REALITY: LISTEN TO RANDALL. (ar15barrels) He has forgotten more about AR's than I will ever know...
It has an F marked A2 front sight. I will try a heavier buffer and maybe a different buffer spring.

I've been listening to everyone that has actually been trying to give useful input. I think its getting clearer that the gun is probably over gassed. Randall linked a video showing that one indication of an over gassed system would be a single hit to the deflector. He later said that has no bearing.....
Old 09-25-2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
Then we'd call into question your ability to reload and it would have twice as many pages
You would call into question my ability to reload if I was asking for input about my cases being dented from extraction/ejection? That's weird unless your taking all the stupid comments from others into account and attributing those stupid comments to me.....
Old 09-25-2017, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You would call into question my ability to reload if I was asking for input about my cases being dented from extraction/ejection? That's weird unless your taking all the stupid comments from others into account and attributing those stupid comments to me.....
No a bunch of knuckleheads would come dogpile on you....kind of like what happened here And yes, often I am one of those knuckleheads! Nothing personal, just guys bustin' balls...

But yeah, the heavier buffer (H2 maybe) might do the trick. Most factory AR's are over-gassed for reliability with different ammunition grain weights / powder charges, etc. Find the round it likes and tune it to that round....
But hey, I am one to talk, took me 2 range trips to tune an adjustable gas block....
Old 09-25-2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Well actually yes, it would take a reloader having just resized one case to realize that dents in the side go away after resizing.
Old 09-25-2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Well actually yes, it would take a reloader having just resized one case to realize that dents in the side go away after resizing.
Well you took your shot at poking fun or criticizing. FAIL but thanks anyway NOT REALLY. A reloader asking why his cases on a particular gun are being dented doesnt have one thing to do with reloading. I mean really dude what's your point here? Just to be rude? I have one gun, one out of a lot that are bending cases, ejecting erratic and leaving an abnormal amount of brass behind. Just go torment your cat instead of crapping on me.
Old 09-25-2017, 7:35 PM

Hey, you brought up reloading, not me.

And you're welcome. NOT REALLY.
Old 09-25-2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Well you took your shot at poking fun or criticizing. FAIL but thanks anyway NOT REALLY. A reloader asking why his cases on a particular gun are being dented doesnt have one thing to do with reloading. I mean really dude what's your point here? Just to be rude? I have one gun, one out of a lot that are bending cases, ejecting erratic and leaving an abnormal amount of brass behind. Just go torment your cat instead of crapping on me.
Well, technically it could but it would occur before firing...IE shoulder dent from too much lube.

Just a thought, the more responses you give the more the guys are going to keep giving you a hard time. They're getting a reaction so they keep going. Just like being out with your buddies, any ammo you give them so to speak they will use. It's friendly banter, don't get so wound up.
Old 09-25-2017, 7:43 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Im so happy this ****fest is still going on. Its like a daily reminder of the fallibility of man.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 09-25-2017, 8:12 PM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

OP, do you like walnut cookies?

Night Vision For Beginners: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post19858692

Quote:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Randall linked a video showing that one indication of an over gassed system would be a single hit to the deflector. He later said that has no bearing.....
The angle of departure is the ultimate tell.
Extractor tension and ejector tension both effect how the case leaves the boltface and therefore if it strikes the deflector once or twice.
I posted the videos to show the direction the case ultimately leaves the gun, not all the stuff before that.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Im so happy this ****fest is still going on. Its like a daily reminder of the fallibility of man.
Why are you here reading this ****fest if it bothers you? Fallibility maybe.....
Old 09-26-2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
OP, do you like walnut cookies?
I've never had walnut cookies. Why?
Old 09-26-2017, 2:12 PM

20170920_102215.jpg
Old 09-27-2017, 8:33 AM

JUST PUT electrical tape over the brass deflector, trim the bastard, and no more brass mark.. Pow Done Deal..
Old 09-27-2017, 3:16 PM

I'd say if this ONE upper is doing strange things... Have Randal inspect / repair it for you.
Old 09-27-2017, 6:26 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Why are you here reading this ****fest if it bothers you? Fallibility maybe.....
Doesnt bother me in the least, in fact im excited to see your future work for attention.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM

I tried two more BCG's and not one single mark on the deflector. What's the advice on how to trouble shoot the original BCG? Must be either the extractor or ejector tension.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Send Coffee
CGN Contributor

*groans*

Quote:
Old 10-16-2017, 11:25 PM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don the savage View Post
Its really a slow motion ****-fest...I would have thought that in the amount of time this joke thread has been limping along that the OP would have learned something. I guess he's not a particularly fast learner.

I guess I'll go back to ignoring this thread now.
Old 10-17-2017, 8:14 AM

OP, I have a near-new BCG in a carbine that has a pristine brass deflector that I'll trade you for whatever BCG you're running. You pay shipping or I can meet you in the Tustin area of OC or the Norco area of RivCo. Guaranteed not to smear brass all over the brass deflector.

Straight across trade.

Then this thread can just... stop.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't worry about the brass marks, they just add a needed degree of character to your rifle. Now it will look like it gets used and some will even think you know how to use it!

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 10-17-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
Its really a slow motion ****-fest...I would have thought that in the amount of time this joke thread has been limping along that the OP would have learned something. I guess he's not a particularly fast learner.

I guess I'll go back to ignoring this thread now.
I have learned many things. I've learned that the cause of this amount of brass being left behind, dented cases and the ejection pattern was something that could be identified and fixed. I've learned that a lot of people here must subscribe to every new post on the forum and for some reason decide to comment on post's they don't care about (get a life, that's pathetic). Or they have subscribed to this thread just to criticize and offer nothing except insults (get a life that's pathetic). I've learned how easy it is to pull the strings of the critics and cynics. You keep coming back over and over to offer nothing but insults and sarcasm. We can also prove and test this theory. I guarantee that those that are "bothered" or here to be a jerk will continue to post and reply to a thread they have been following for months and months and continue to come back over and over.

Proverbs 26:11 As a dog that returns to its vomit, so a fool repeat their folly.
Proverbs 17:28 Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.

I'm sure the fools will identify themselves.

Thanks to those that have been helpful including the ones that PM'ed me with real advice.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I tried two more BCG's and not one single mark on the deflector. What's the advice on how to trouble shoot the original BCG? Must be either the extractor or ejector tension.
obviously your BCG is working as designed while the other two are defective
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-18-2017, 1:35 PM

Sell the AR and buy an M1 rifle. Problem SOLVED.
Jon
Old 10-18-2017, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Sell the AR and buy an M1 rifle. Problem SOLVED.
Jon
Un-solved... and then the brass skid marks appear on the op rod knuckle area.
Yep. That's also normal.
We'd see another thread on that too tho.
Deja vu all over again.

Sent using a long string and 2 Dixie cups
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --