Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 04-20-2009, 8:10 PM

Default Xdm Legal in CA?

Looking to get a Springfield XDm .40 are they legal in CA? I saw they have 16 round mags.. so thats not good for CA. is there a version of this gun that is CA legal. Thanks for the newbee question.

Aaron
Old 04-20-2009, 8:11 PM
Calguns Addict

They are legal in california but not on the safe list

That means if your LEO you can buy it or if you keep your eyes peeled you might find a used one from an leo
Old 04-20-2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
They are legal in california but not on the safe list

That means if your LEO you can buy it or if you keep your eyes peeled you might find a used one from an leo
Exactly. You cannot buy it yourself because they are only manufactured with high-cap mags.

But, if you got it private party from a LEO then, maybe...
Old 04-20-2009, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzagg View Post
Exactly. You cannot buy it yourself because they are only manufactured with high-cap mags.

But, if you got it private party from a LEO then, maybe...
The high cap mags are not why you cant buy it yourself its the fact that its not on the safe list

You could buy it and buy the mags as rebuild kits and then permanently modify them to take no more then 10 rnds
Old 04-20-2009, 9:45 PM

Seems to be very nice handguns but so much trouble just to pick one up. Hopefully SA can make a Cali legal one but I wouldn't hold my breath..
Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishoot View Post
Seems to be very nice handguns but so much trouble just to pick one up. Hopefully SA can make a Cali legal one but I wouldn't hold my breath..
Hopefully now that we got incorporation SA wont have to
Old 04-21-2009, 6:29 AM

I didnt mean to post this in the Gallery thread.. please delete and i will repost.
thanks for the replys guys.
Aaron
Old 08-08-2009, 8:50 PM

I seiously doubt SA get it on the list. The drop test isn't the problem. The problem is that it is a newly designed gun and as of 2007 newly designed guns in CA need to have it such that you can't fire it when the magazine is removed. XDm isn't designed to do this and I can't see them doing it for CA.
Old 08-08-2009, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
I seiously doubt SA get it on the list. The drop test isn't the problem. The problem is that it is a newly designed gun and as of 2007 newly designed guns in CA need to have it such that you can't fire it when the magazine is removed. XDm isn't designed to do this and I can't see them doing it for CA.
PITA feature IMHO anyways.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 08-08-2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
+1. That's what it is, which is officially called the magazine disconnect safety. Our state laws suck! Hopefully, the incorporation will help us out.
Old 09-04-2010, 8:35 PM

Still not available in CA?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheZ View Post
Still not available in CA?
Unless SA produces a version with a magazine disconnect, or that law is somehow nullified, it will never be available in CA through the normal channels. They can only be acquired through a PPT with a LEO or a personal importer, which is someone who moved here from another state and brought the gun with them. And as SA has not produced any 10 round magazines (to my knowledge) for these guns, the magazines would have to be permanently altered to hold no more than 10 rounds. If you really, really want one, they can be had, but the effort may not be worth it. Expect to pay a premium if you do find one.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
You could buy it and buy the mags as rebuild kits and then permanently modify them to take no more then 10 rnds
Are there any good tutorials on how to modify magazines? I actually live in Hawaii but I'm restricted to the same 10 round limitation and wondered how do I modify the magazines to meet the standards of the law.
Old 10-21-2010, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style_Front View Post
Are there any good tutorials on how to modify magazines? I actually live in Hawaii but I'm restricted to the same 10 round limitation and wondered how do I modify the magazines to meet the standards of the law.
I found a good post on how to modify the mags on CG. here is the link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=188043
http://www.vaportrails.us/html/xdm.html

If you're lazy/lack materials and tools like me, you can buy them blocked from Tim @ Valkyrie Arms like I did - he did a great job on mine (see thread here)

and here's a photo to complete the thread =]

Old 10-24-2010, 12:44 AM

i might be getting an xdm from an individual, so what you are saying is if you get this hi capacity gun from someone that you can block the gun. form shooting 16 rds? so if i use this gun as my home security i wont get in trouble if i shoot an individual doing a home invasion to my house??
Old 10-24-2010, 1:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovich View Post
i might be getting an xdm from an individual, so what you are saying is if you get this hi capacity gun from someone that you can block the gun. form shooting 16 rds? so if i use this gun as my home security i wont get in trouble if i shoot an individual doing a home invasion to my house??
Not any more or less scrutiny than if you used a gun that appears on the roster. Make sure the magazine alterations are permanent.
Old 06-06-2012, 8:28 PM

Default XDm

I have a question. Ok, so I want in the worst way to get a Springfield XDm .45 compact pistol. With it not being on the list of legal hand guns by the CaDOJ, I want to get it through PPT in another state that a family member lives in. My question is; if I get this gun with it not being on the CaDOJ, would it still be alowed as a CCW as long as it has the 10 round mags?
Old 06-07-2012, 2:27 PM

Tablerock Arms charges $780 for a XDM9 5.25in + SSE CONVERSION. You could have them do the SSE, then buy the blocked mags from Tim @ Valkyrie Arms

Last edited by Avedis; 06-07-2012 at 5:36 PM..
Old 06-12-2012, 9:51 PM

SSE is easier, the only other option is in state PPT. I got both my XDMs through Valkyrie, the XDS is next sometime this year

Sent from my Windows Phone 7.5

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." - British Statesman