Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Considering an ankle hoster..

Im considering an ankle holster, not for every day use but for days where I'll be doing a lot of reaching and risking exposing my gun. I carry an M&P shield and have been carrying 3:00 IWB.

Any opinions of suggestion on ankle holsters?
Old 12-10-2017, 1:58 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

My opinion is: ANY gun you put down there swinging around on the end of your limb is going to feel very heavy and bulky. Plus, unless you wear bell bottom pants, sooner or later, your pants will ride up and you will expose the gun. But look at the bright side, the large lump on your ankle will make people think you are on house arrest with an ankle monitor AND your gun will be a LONG way away way down there if you should need it.
Old 12-10-2017, 2:04 PM

These are NOT mass produced rigs. Each is made as the order is placed.

All my concealed carry rigs were made by him.

They wear like iron, and are appreciated by professionals who bet there lives on performance.

http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm
Old 12-10-2017, 2:12 PM

Ankle holster will bug the **** out of you.
The draw from the ankle is awkward to say the least.
Ankle as back-up maybe..but not primary IMO
Old 12-10-2017, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
My opinion is: ANY gun you put down there swinging around on the end of your limb is going to feel very heavy and bulky. Plus, unless you wear bell bottom pants, sooner or later, your pants will ride up and you will expose the gun. But look at the bright side, the large lump on your ankle will make people think you are on house arrest with an ankle monitor AND your gun will be a LONG way away way down there if you should need it.
This is true, thats why I had mine made for a S&W Airweight J frame with Crimson Trace Small grips. I had it made for inside left ankle placement, but I wear it on the inside right ankle with the pistol butt forward. I have no issues with concealment or access under "Boot Cut" jeans. For years, I slept with this rig on, and never felt uncomfortable. You gotta wear something daily in order that it becomes a part of you.
Old 12-10-2017, 5:05 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I've tried it with two mass produced types, Bug Bite might be one, and another one that was popular according to Amazon sales... but jeeze I couldn't get used to it mostly because I just couldn't keep it from moving around without cutting off circulation. The G43 is the gun I was carrying there.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 12-10-2017, 6:45 PM

Look into pocket carry. A small 380 or 9mm
Old 12-10-2017, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
Im considering an ankle holster, not for every day use but for days where I'll be doing a lot of reaching and risking exposing my gun. I carry an M&P shield and have been carrying 3:00 IWB.

Any opinions of suggestion on ankle holsters?
On average I carry 8 to 10 different models of Ankle Holsters in my shop. I carry them mostly for those LEO's that carry more than two guns, and for VIP security operatives.

If I may offer my opinion, unless there are some very unique extenuating systems they are not a good choice for primary weapon. You are assuming that you know something bad is going to happen and have a chance to reach the gun. Truth is that is a luxury that seldom happens, so to access the gun you have to be limber, quick, and hope the bad guy doesn't recognize what is happen all well likely within arms reach and either a weapon on you "IN FEAR OF YOUR LIFE" or kicking your ***. Your going to have to basically kneel down to get your weapon.

If your are going to select an ankle rig you are going to need to consider your calf shape, that impacts holster selection a lot. Do you want bare ankle, over a sock, or over a boot? The construction of the holster is different for each. If your right handed, are you going to wear the weapon inside right ankle, or inside left ankle, the cut of a good ankle holster will be different. Do you want a garter support? What gun are you planning to carry? Are your pants legs wide enough not to print? Do you work around dirt, many ankle rigs are open at the bottom so they can fit the maximum number of guns, but if your in a dirty environment you want it closed at the bottom. Dirt in your gun is never good, especially an auto. If the gun barrel hangs down below the holster watch for getting your shin ripped up.
Do you have low back pain, putting uneven weight (even a few ounces) on the ankle will drive you to your chiropractor.
There are actually more issues involved but these are ones you should answer first.
Old 12-14-2017, 5:13 PM

Sparing you the lecture about the disadvantages of ankle carry...
Alessi. Excellent craftsmanship, durability, retention, and comfort. It's my go to when I have to dress up for a meeting in a NPE, otherwise I roll with jeans and IWB. Not cheap and about a 3 to 4 month wait, however, well worth it.
Old 12-14-2017, 5:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramud View Post
Look into pocket carry. A small 380 or 9mm
This. Or a J-frame for pocket carry.

A Shield is a big gun to have on your ankle.
Old 12-26-2017, 7:13 AM

I am trying to think of a self-defense scenario where bending forward, or taking a knee to access your weapon would be advantageous or safe, assuming there is a threat in front of you or advancing towards you. I can see this as an option for a back up gun, maybe, but certainly not a primary defense weapon.

Clint Smith offers his opinion on a back up revolver in an ankle holster here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7DpuFmLy4
Old 12-26-2017, 7:32 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
I am trying to think of a self-defense scenario where bending forward, or taking a knee to access your weapon would be advantageous or safe, assuming there is a threat in front of you or advancing towards you.
Sitting. In church, at a desk at work, driving perhaps.

I'm not really a fan because I haven't been able to wear one for even an hour but in seated scenarios it seems pretty accessible.

Old 12-30-2017, 3:24 PM

I carried a Colt Det Special for more than 20 yrs (and still occasionally do) in an Uncle Mikes ankle holster. I wore out at least 3 of them in that time. No "calf clamp"..and I generally wore open top cowboy or utility boots. I never ever had a problem carrying this way. My job requirements were such that jeans and a work shirt were worn, with lots of climbing, crawling, bending and such (I repair machinery in machine shops). Not a high risk environment..but working in bad parts of industrial sections of towns made my carry a requirement and on 3 occasions..a life saver. Those UM holsters can be worn while wearing tennis shoes/hikers..but its more problematic. Buy a holster and a pair of boots and wear it for a couple weeks. The first week..it will bug the **** out of you. The second week..not so much. After that...you will notice the extra mass..but it wont get in your way or change your stride. After a few months..you will find you dont notice that its there. Ive had to reach down on more than one occasion to be sure I was carrying. Shrug. Its a slow draw..but it gives you far far more options than you would think.
Oh....after the 3rd year..my blue was blotched, the rampant Colt was getting thin and the lettering was getting etched away..simply from body sweat. So I had it electroless nickled. Wears great in this usage and is recommended..Armalloy, nickle, etc etc. Inside your pants/boots..can be a right humid place to put a non stainless firearm.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by gunnerasch; 12-30-2017 at 3:28 PM..
Old 12-31-2017, 3:55 AM

My daily carry for the last 15 years has been a S&W Model 337 revolver in an ankle holster. My work is and has been such that I usually cannot carry concealed on my waist. I pocket carry when wearing shorts.
Since last March I have been using a Bugbyte ankle holster and I recommend it very highly. I added a wristband at the bottom for additional support. My revolver and extra ammo weigh about a pound and are very comfortable even on long (12+ hours) days.
I tried ankle carry with a H&K P7M8, but I consider the gun too heavy to carry this way. The Bugbyte holster carries the gun higher on the calf an improves concealment. I am still limber enough to draw without taking a knee.
Like anything else it requires practice.
For me ankle carry is the difference between being able to carry or not.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-31-2017, 9:32 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
I am still limber enough to draw without taking a knee.
If you're getting in and out of a Mooney you have to stay limber.

Old 12-31-2017, 2:47 PM

I am new to conceal carry myself and have had some issues adjusting to having a 1 lb chunk of metal on my body all day. I have tried IWB front, side and back as well as ankle. Right now my favorite is the Glock store concealment V Neck shirt. Tucks the gun right up under my arm and keeps it out of sight. I can literally wear my gun all day in comfort. I sit a lot and anything in the waistband becomes uncomfortable when I sit in a chair for any length of time.

http://www.glockstore.com/UTUC-Mens-...t-V-Neck-Shirt
Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Photog View Post
I am new to conceal carry myself and have had some issues adjusting to having a 1 lb chunk of metal on my body all day. I have tried IWB front, side and back as well as ankle. Right now my favorite is the Glock store concealment V Neck shirt. Tucks the gun right up under my arm and keeps it out of sight. I can literally wear my gun all day in comfort. I sit a lot and anything in the waistband becomes uncomfortable when I sit in a chair for any length of time.

http://www.glockstore.com/UTUC-Mens-...t-V-Neck-Shirt
Using and empty weapon well sitting in your car with your seat belt on, or in your office chair, have you practiced drawing in 1.5 seconds or less. If not consider the clothes you are wearing. Again with an empty weapon have a friend of equal or greater strength grapple with you, play a game of grab the wallet in your back pocket, starting from arms length with the opponent initiating the cycle, can you draw the weapon. (simulates a office dispute, ATM, or gas stations assault from guy seeking change or directions). If you can get the weapon well they attempt to stop you, you may be ok, if not it's a placebo and you need to figure out the clothing change.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:31 PM

I use “bugbite” like it a lot

Building a 1911 with a rock in a Cavehttp://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=957081