Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2018, 7:50 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Adopt a newbie in Norcal?

Hi folks,

Anyone want to adopt a newbie in Norcal, I am in San Jose, and know the only long range sure it's up near Sacramento.

I just bought a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor, topped it with a Vortex Viper GenII 5x25x50 MOA. Once I get it bore sighted, and dialed in at 100 yards, I would like to push it out with some help.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2018, 7:54 PM
Garv's Avatar
Garv Garv is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SoCal South Bay
Posts: 5,705
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Might want to repeat this request here depending on how far you are thinking about:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=372

Good luck.
__________________
Originally posted by Kestryll:
It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2018, 8:58 PM
smoothy8500's Avatar
smoothy8500 smoothy8500 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
I am in San Jose, and know the only long range sure it's up near Sacramento.
Yeah, a lot of us have to drive a couple hours to attend matches for Mid-range (600yds) or Long-range (800, 900, 1K) so just go to the next match, you will learn a lot from the others there. They all started just like you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2018, 9:10 PM
diver160651's Avatar
diver160651 diver160651 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,410
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Hi folks,

Anyone want to adopt a newbie in Norcal, I am in San Jose, and know the only long range sure it's up near Sacramento.

I just bought a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor, topped it with a Vortex Viper GenII 5x25x50 MOA. Once I get it bore sighted, and dialed in at 100 yards, I would like to push it out with some help.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk


Iíd be glad to meet you for a coffee and see if I can help your goals.

I normally do not engage calguners, that doesnít mean I know jack ****.

If your interested and level headed and you think I might be as well. We can talk.

Pm me





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2018, 9:14 PM
Widdle's Avatar
Widdle Widdle is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 677
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Wish I could. I live pretty close to that range now. Used to live in SJ, too, and would leave before 5 AM to get to the matches.

Silhouette matches are funner and easier than high power, but those were for milsurps. The started a newer match for gas guns some years back, and I still get results from it, so it must still be going on.

You can go to the public range side and go out to 300 yds. You just have to get approved first. When I got my card, all you had to do was show a ďgood enoughĒ group at 100 yds. I heard they changed it a little, so you may want to call and ask.

Too bad they shut down Chabot. My husband got really good shooting there more regularly. That was a few kids ago though.

If you havenít made it out to Sac Valley yet, itís a must. Iíve heard itís the nicest range on this side of the Mississippi.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2018, 9:32 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 5,716
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

It must be really nice if it's nicer than Ben Avery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2018, 9:55 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,720
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
It must be really nice if it's nicer than Ben Avery.

Sac Valley is more open to the public than Ben Avery. I miss Sac Valley and have gone back a couple of times since s I moved to AZ. When I say open to the public, the matches were more open to noobs and guys just wanting to get out and try something new. Ben Avery is shooters heaven for NRA style regulated /ruled matches. But some of the best matches at Sac Valley were just fun matches. Also having a 300 yard public range is nice.

I have not found a public range here in AZ (other than Yuma) with a range over 200 yards thatís easy access.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:09 PM
diver160651's Avatar
diver160651 diver160651 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,410
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default Adopt a newbie in Norcal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Sac Valley is more open to the public than Ben Avery. I miss Sac Valley and have gone back a couple of times since s I moved to AZ. When I say open to the public, the matches were more open to noobs and guys just wanting to get out and try something new. Ben Avery is shooters heaven for NRA style regulated /ruled matches. But some of the best matches at Sac Valley were just fun matches. Also having a 300 yard public range is nice.

I have not found a public range here in AZ (other than Yuma) with a range over 200 yards thatís easy access.


BLM is everywhere thatís why ranges have a harder time. Iíve shot a lot in AZ..


Some might mil guys might recognize the intake, youíll recognize the cactus

BTW in my option, Folsom or Sac Valley is a bit weird.

I had to do RO stuff just to shoot 500m and run out on Mondayís or whatever it was to embrace the (nice) BR guys so they could vet me to shoot 1k. At the end of the day, there are several ranges offering more freedom and more challenge closer to the OP for his type of rifle than sac valley as well as BLM.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 08-07-2018 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
BLM is everywhere thatís why ranges have a harder time. Iíve shot a lot in AZ..


Some might mil guys might recognize the intake, youíll recognize the cactus

BTW in my option, Folsom or Sac Valley is a bit weird.

I had to do RO stuff just to shoot 500m and run out on Mondayís or whatever it was to embrace the (nice) BR guys so they could vet me to shoot 1k. At the end of the day, there are several ranges offering more freedom and more challenge closer to the OP for his type of rifle than sac valley as well as BLM.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nothing longer than 100y in the Bay area. I think Sac is the closest.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:34 PM
LynnJr LynnJr is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,103
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

This isn't exactly long-range but Circle S ranch goes out to 300 yards and the Range Officer on Sundays has already shotout 3 RPR barrels in 6.5 and two in 308. His name is Mark and he can be helpful if asked.
Located in northern Marin county.
__________________
Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
Southwest Regional Director
Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
This isn't exactly long-range but Circle S ranch goes out to 300 yards and the Range Officer on Sundays has already shotout 3 RPR barrels in 6.5 and two in 308. His name is Mark and he can be helpful if asked.
Located in northern Marin county.
Thanks lynn

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Sac Valley is more open to the public than Ben Avery. I miss Sac Valley and have gone back a couple of times since s I moved to AZ. When I say open to the public, the matches were more open to noobs and guys just wanting to get out and try something new. Ben Avery is shooters heaven for NRA style regulated /ruled matches. But some of the best matches at Sac Valley were just fun matches. Also having a 300 yard public range is nice.

I have not found a public range here in AZ (other than Yuma) with a range over 200 yards thatís easy access.
Have you tried Rio Solado, in Mesa, the have a 500m, my sister lives in Mesa and we shot there, she now lives in Yuma, haven't shot there yet.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by seansmd; 08-07-2018 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 5,716
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Sac Valley is more open to the public than Ben Avery. I miss Sac Valley and have gone back a couple of times since s I moved to AZ. When I say open to the public, the matches were more open to noobs and guys just wanting to get out and try something new. Ben Avery is shooters heaven for NRA style regulated /ruled matches. But some of the best matches at Sac Valley were just fun matches. Also having a 300 yard public range is nice.

I have not found a public range here in AZ (other than Yuma) with a range over 200 yards thatís easy access.
There is a 600 yard range down south, but that's not easy access for you because it's a long-*** drive. I think Tucson has a 1000 yard range, and I think there's 1000+ yards available at Cowtown, but I don't know how "public" it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
BLM is everywhere thatís why ranges have a harder time. Iíve shot a lot in AZ..
BLM/National Forest is very hard to find or get to in the southern part of the state. Population booms are not always good. I've been told of a couple places within 20 miles, but 4wd is required, which I don't got. It would actually take me less time to drive 4 hours to a range than find federal land to shoot on.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,720
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Have you tried Rio Solado, in Mesa, the have a 500m, my sister lives in Mesa and we shot there, she now lives in Yuma, haven't shot there yet.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk


I have not, only because I live on the complete opposite side of town.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
This isn't exactly long-range but Circle S ranch goes out to 300 yards and the Range Officer on Sundays has already shotout 3 RPR barrels in 6.5 and two in 308. His name is Mark and he can be helpful if asked.
Located in northern Marin county.
Nice, then i get to stop at Russian River brewery on the way home and restock!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 5,716
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Nothing longer than 100y in the Bay area. I think Sac is the closest.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
200 at Richmond if you're an RO or know one real well. They do shortened High Power there sometimes. Same situation at Metcalf I believe.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 44,458
iTrader: 95 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
I have not, only because I live on the complete opposite side of town.
Rio Solado is a great range.
I have shot a bunch of 3 day 3gun matches there.
I believe it is 500yds on the rifle range that's open to the public.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 PM
NorCalFocus's Avatar
NorCalFocus NorCalFocus is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 3,720
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Rio Solado is a great range.

I have shot a bunch of 3 day 3gun matches there.

I believe it is 500yds on the rifle range that's open to the public.


Iíll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 44,458
iTrader: 95 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Iíll have to check it out.
I drive from my place to shoot there.
You are like 350 miles closer...
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 PM
tamalpias tamalpias is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,874
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

panoche or tumey hills is about an hour 45 minute drive and you can shoot as far as you want for free on blm land. lets go in the fall when it is nice and cool
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-07-2018, 11:59 PM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,246
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Didn't the person selling you the rifle & scope have any clues on where to go shooting? Richmond or Sac Valley previously mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 AM
Romeo_alpha01 Romeo_alpha01 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 409
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

I go to Angels Camp/Vallecito with some buddies who are teaching me to shoot. We’re all still learning and a few of my friends have done clinics at Sac Valley (I’m a rookie in long range). According to GPS, end to end at this BLM is 850-900 if you shoot from ridge to ridge.
__________________
"Weil du saust und wir hassen dich"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-08-2018, 1:24 AM
diver160651's Avatar
diver160651 diver160651 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,410
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Nothing longer than 100y in the Bay area. I think Sac is the closest.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk


Never mind. But Foldom is NOT the closest


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-08-2018, 5:11 AM
SonofWWIIDI's Avatar
SonofWWIIDI SonofWWIIDI is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Clara county
Posts: 20,676
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Nothing longer than 100y in the Bay area. I think Sac is the closest.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
That is not entirely correct.

Metcalf has a 200 yard range, but public hours are severely limited. One Sunday a month IIRC. But I have been told it is also available for rent. However I have no idea the cost.



AFAIK, you are correct about sac being the only place (public) around here that goes out a lot further than 200.
__________________
ē=iii=<(
🎺

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666

Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 08-08-2018 at 5:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:29 AM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
Didn't the person selling you the rifle & scope have any clues on where to go shooting? Richmond or Sac Valley previously mentioned.
I do most of research online and with friends form back east, recent transplant to the west coast.

Haven't found a place in SJ I "trust" yet.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:30 AM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

[QUOTE=SonofWWIIDI;21972913]That is not entirely correct.

Metcalf has a 200 yard range, but public hours are severely limited. One Sunday a month IIRC. But I have been told it is also available for rent. However I have no idea the cost.



I heard Metcalf had closed, was that just temp?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-08-2018, 8:54 AM
SonofWWIIDI's Avatar
SonofWWIIDI SonofWWIIDI is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Clara county
Posts: 20,676
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

[QUOTE=seansmd;21973081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
That is not entirely correct.

Metcalf has a 200 yard range, but public hours are severely limited. One Sunday a month IIRC. But I have been told it is also available for rent. However I have no idea the cost.



I heard Metcalf had closed, was that just temp?
AFAIK, there was recently a brush fire behind the target stands on the hillside. Hoping that it's just a temp shutdown.

I think there was a thread anout if someplace around here.
__________________
ē=iii=<(
🎺

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666

Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 08-08-2018 at 8:57 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-08-2018, 9:46 AM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 44,458
iTrader: 95 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
AFAIK, you are correct about sac being the only place (public) around here that goes out a lot further than 200.
Sac Valley only goes to 300 for the public.

You have to be in one of the clubs or shoot one of the events put on by the clubs to shoot further than 300 at Sac Valley.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-08-2018, 10:50 AM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,246
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The recent East Coast arrival Original Poster has received excellent advice from well mannered & experienced rifle shooters living in Northern California.

Now if the 'Open-To-The-Pubic' Metcalf, Richmond and Sacramento Valley Shooting Facility previously mentioned ranges have a "Trust" issue for the OP then might I suggest he return to that part of the East Coast that he does trust for all of his Ruger 6.5 Creedmore shooting entertainment without delay.

Last edited by hambam105; 08-08-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 AM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
The recent East Coast arrival Original Poster has received excellent advice from well mannered & experienced rifle shooters living in Northern California.

Now if the 'Open-To-The-Pubic' Metcalf, Richmond and Sacramento Valley Shooting Facility previously mentioned ranges have a "Trust" issue for the OP then might I suggest he return to that part of the East Coast that he does trust for all of his Ruger 6.5 Creedmore shooting entertainment without delay.
I have received excellent feedback and advice.

It wasn't a trust issue with any of the ranges, the response was to a comment of why didn't I ask the place I bought the RPR. I have not found a local shop that i have the relationship i had back east.

Oh that was you.... "Didn't the person selling you the rifle & scope have any clues on where to go shooting? Richmond or Sac Valley previously mentioned."

Not sure why your feathers are ruffled.....

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by seansmd; 08-08-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-08-2018, 11:31 AM
diver160651's Avatar
diver160651 diver160651 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,410
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
The recent East Coast arrival Original Poster has received excellent advice from well mannered & experienced rifle shooters living in Northern California.

Now if the 'Open-To-The-Pubic' Metcalf, Richmond and Sacramento Valley Shooting Facility previously mentioned ranges have a "Trust" issue for the OP then might I suggest he return to that part of the East Coast that he does trust for all of his Ruger 6.5 Creedmore shooting entertainment without delay.
I can't speak for him and am not trying to.

I shoot like some others on here shoot in matches were guns are being moved all the time, were the range is hot always or we are hiking thru the woods or on a trail in squads with guns carried, again, guys are shooting stages while squads are handling rifles and sometimes pistols. I never have felt unsafe.. but that is NOT true for several Bay Area ranges.

I shoot a lot, too much maybe and I still will NOT go to some ranges in the Bay Area without being super alert, some I avoid if at all possible. I have seen NDs and shots into the wall, ceiling, floor and down range. I've been muzzle swept too many times. Mostly, it involves a group of shooters, some dumb *** teaching another dumb ***.. or just over crowing and to much for the ROs to see.. Some ranges however are great if you can get there before the crowds.

I would not want to shoot with someone who didn't have a concern about range safety or even appeared to be a hot head or otherwise fubar. But thats just me..

Jim
__________________
D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 08-08-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
I can't speak for him and am not trying to.

I shoot like some others on here shoot in matches were guns are being moved all the time, were the range is hot always or we are hiking thru the woods or on a trail in squads with guns carried, again, guys are shooting stages while squads are handling rifles and sometimes pistols. I never have felt unsafe.. but that is NOT true for several Bay Area ranges.

I shoot a lot, too much maybe and I still will NOT go to some ranges in the Bay Area without being super alert, some I avoid if at all possible. I have seen NDs and shots into the wall, ceiling, floor and down range. I've been muzzle swept too many times. Mostly, it involves a group of shooters, some dumb *** teaching another dumb ***.. or just over crowing and to much for the ROs to see.. Some ranges however are great if you can get there before the crowds.

I would not want to shoot with someone who didn't have a concern about range safety or even appeared to be a hot head or otherwise fubar. But thats just me..

Jim
Well said, I have seen some of this, I have a great deal of respect for those that know and are local veterans of the place I am shooting. All ranges have different rules, and the locals are the best resource at getting acclimated.

My point was a local shop, where I get my advice from, haven't found that yet. I have friends, lifelong shooter, military veterans, and enthusiasts that I trust to point me in the right direction. Then I ask for help, as I did here, and received it!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-08-2018, 12:36 PM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,246
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Diver160651
I'll be glad to salute and double down on the safety concerns you mentioned in above post #31.

As for the OP,
I am familiar with the professionalism at Richmond & Sacramento ranges.
While I'm not impressed with the Metcalf shooting center and I do know the the facility conducts a safety conscious range.

I understood the OP's 'trust' post as a slight against those operations. I can't understand buying any firearm under untrustworthy circumstances. If I was in error then I do apologize.

Last edited by hambam105; 08-08-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-08-2018, 1:03 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 44,458
iTrader: 95 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post

Some might mil guys might recognize the intake
I think the mushroom is a little more rounded on mine.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-08-2018, 1:08 PM
diver160651's Avatar
diver160651 diver160651 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,410
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
I think the mushroom is a little more rounded on mine.


do you have a M998 or one of the H series?
__________________
D.I.Y. a Target Cam for ELR
NOTE: images not all working correctly due to limitations on the site

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-08-2018, 1:22 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
Diver160651
I'll be glad to salute and double down on the safety concerns you mentioned in above post #31.

As for the OP,
I am familiar with the professionalism at Richmond & Sacramento ranges.
While I'm not impressed with the Metcalf shooting center and I do know the the facility conducts a safety conscious range.

I understood the OP's 'trust' post as a slight against those operations. I can't understand buying any firearm under untrustworthy circumstances. If I was in error then I do apologize.
Apology accepted, wasn't casting shade at any range, never been to Metcalf, and never bought a firearm from someone I didn't trust.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-08-2018, 4:21 PM
sgt1372's Avatar
sgt1372 sgt1372 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,294
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansmd View Post
Nothing longer than 100y in the Bay area. I think Sac is the closest.
There's a 200 yard range at Linden (about 15 miles east of Stockton). If you can group 4 out of 5 shots on a 3" orange dot at 100 yards, you can "qualify" to use it by paying an extra $3 fee for a pass and signing a special use waiver (because it is an unsupervised range and the users have to work together to maintain range safety). I qualified to use it but haven't actually used it yet.

There's a 200 yard range at Richmond too but (as I understand it), you have to be a member there to use it. I'd rather shoot at Linden than Richmond because it is easier for me to get there (less traffic is the main reason) and I like the low key vibe there better.

For anything beyond 200, you'd have to go to Sac Valley in Sloughhouse near Ione. It's a 1.5 hr drive for me from the East Bay to get there and would be at least 2.5-3 hr drive for someone from the South Bay. A very LONG drive to just do a little shooting. Better to make it a weekend trip and drive up Friday and leave Sunday evening to make the best use of the time shooting there, if you're driving from the South Bay IMO.
__________________
Retired LEO. Life Member - NRA & CRPA.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-08-2018 at 4:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-08-2018, 4:28 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 5,716
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Also, although not in the SF Bay area, there is/was a range at Laguna Seca that was several hundred yards.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-08-2018, 5:55 PM
seansmd seansmd is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks Sgt1372, and sigstroker.

I forgot about Laguna, I shot there with my uncle!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-08-2018, 7:45 PM
LynnJr LynnJr is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,103
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

If you don't mind the drive you can shoot for free at Cow Mountain recreation areas range to 400 yards. It is south of Ukiah next to Talmarge on mill creek road then take a left to North cow mountain. It is primitive.
__________________
Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
Southwest Regional Director
Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:40 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.