Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 AM

Default 338 LM max loads

I am working up loads in my Sako 338 LM rifle and I have a question. I am pushing a Berger 250 at 2924 right now with a 27" barrel and it is shooting about .5 MOA. Not Quite one ragged hole at 100 but not bad. I am using neck sized only brass and 94gr of H1000 at the moment. I was looking to see how far I can push this. I show 94gr as the max load and 2925 is basically the max velocity, but I find that manuals are pretty conservative. I am not showing any pressure signs at all and was thinking of working up some test loads up to 95gr of H1000. I have case capacity, it is not a compressed load or anything and there are no pressure signs at all. What are some of the hottest loads that people are using out there?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

The standard load alot of our shooters are using is 92 grains of H1000 and a 300 grain Berger/Sierra in Lapua brass.
If your not expanding the base of the case enough to get a click on opening I would proceed with caution and go up until you encounter pressure. Hodgdon data is using Norma brass.
The chambers freebore will allow one gun to use more powder than the next guy.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 08-06-2018 at 2:20 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 12:31 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Hodgdon’s reloading site shows a max (compressed) charge of 98 grains for a Hornady 250 grain projectile. They have a shorter barrel length and get a lower velocity with that charge than you’re seeing, so you’ve got some reconciliation to do before that becomes “sure go for it!”
Old 08-06-2018, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Look for accuracy not velocity. What ever you may gain will be Moot.
Old 08-06-2018, 4:34 PM

Yeah, that is what I am looking for, but accuracy at the highest possible node. I am going to chase accuracy going up and see what the next one I hit is. I just wanted to see if this was a crazy plan. The Hodgedon manual thinks that I am ok evidently.
Old 08-06-2018, 5:04 PM

Default 338 LM max loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyro View Post
I am working up loads in my Sako 338 LM rifle and I have a question. I am pushing a Berger 250 at 2924 right now with a 27" barrel and it is shooting about .5 MOA. Not Quite one ragged hole at 100 but not bad. I am using neck sized only brass and 94gr of H1000 at the moment. I was looking to see how far I can push this. I show 94gr as the max load and 2925 is basically the max velocity, but I find that manuals are pretty conservative. I am not showing any pressure signs at all and was thinking of working up some test loads up to 95gr of H1000. I have case capacity, it is not a compressed load or anything and there are no pressure signs at all. What are some of the hottest loads that people are using out there?

Why not switch to a different bullet rather than trying to sleek out a couple extra FPS on a lower BC offering.

Personally I would look at Warner and Flatline solids (or the 285s with a slightly different strategy).

I do not think you’ll get the speed from the 300s in your barrel and when you tune the BC you might be surprised that you’re getting lower BCs and not out running the lighter solids that seem to run fast for their weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 08-06-2018, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

You may not find another accuracy node. Going from 94-98 grains isnt quite the same range as 42-45 in a smaller cartridge. Its been my exp that pushing for max speed and max loads almost always opens my groups up wide.
Old 08-07-2018, 7:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hopefully Mamba will chime in here. I built him his URSA match rifle where he's pushing WT Flatlines over 3000 out of a standard 338lm chamber. If your not showing pressure signs yet, then just go up slowly. Your brass won't last as long but if you got the time and money...

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:27 AM

I have about 400 rounds of factory Lapua ammo that came with the rifle, as well as about 200 once fired cases so I have just been pulling bullets and using it when I need it. I feel like i realistically have more brass than I am going to use with this rifle.