Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Is that club member a "daily shooter"?
I see what you did there....
Old 08-14-2018, 4:01 AM
Banned

Am I being arrested or free to go
Old 08-14-2018, 4:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Daily Shooter is probably making a “sky is falling” video about it right now. Anything for views, likes, and subscribers!

FUD sells.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 08-14-2018 at 5:06 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Except there's no Primm checkpoint.

They were building a very large one when I last drove back from Vegas in April.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Oh man. That stung!!!!!!

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
Old 08-14-2018, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

Never been stopped and never been checked. Don't lock up anything but handguns too.
Old 08-14-2018, 5:30 AM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Except there's no Primm checkpoint.
It is almost ready. The building looks finished. I passed it on 8/9. I got to the Yermo station around 07:00 and there was 1 auto lane open but no person.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:04 AM
Calguns Addict

This is why I put an “don’t blame me I voted for Hillary” bumper sticker on my Honda.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Loooooool. 100% pro post, sir.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:21 AM

All true, even performing cavity searches.....
Old 08-14-2018, 8:23 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighWildFree View Post
All true, even performing cavity searches.....
FP inbound?
Old 08-14-2018, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have been checked for our elk and asked if we brought spine or head and neck back. Cannot bring any of those parts from game into Ca because of CWD. DFW said big citation and fine. We had boned out and taken the backstraps and tenderloin and boned out the neck. We have brought a dozen elk back from NM.
Never asked about firearms or ammo. One tripwe had 2 elk quartered in back of tahoe on tarps filled up the back on top of our camping and hunting gear. The ag guys got a kick out of that and asked do you have any fruits or vegetables under the elk. I said your welcome to pull that 500 lbs out and look. They laughed and said you guys must have had a good time and we did.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg09 View Post
Just got a first hand report from one of our club member. Coming back from Pyramid Range north of Reno, member was stopped at Ag inspection station on I-80. First asked about fruit and vegetables, then turned over to CHP who asked about guns and ammo. Driver stated it was in a locked box in back of truck and allowed to proceed.
24 posts and this is one of them?

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
^^^THIS^^^ I call FUD.

CHP does not have staffing to man AG checkpoints and California is too broke to hire more officers.

If they did we would hear about it.
Well not really, the truck weigh station is there too and open all the time. Always CHP on duty right there and ready to roll

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 08-14-2018, 4:22 PM

It seems fear and paranoia is alive and well about this once again. This is a simple infraction on the order of a jay walking ticket. I cannot imagine CHP, DOJ, the local dog catcher or anyone else devoting any resources to this. But be afraid, be very afraid because a guy told me he had a buddy at works whose brother's wife sister said her husband's boss got stopped and strip searched......
Old 08-14-2018, 5:12 PM

Ok, not to build upon the paranoia, but today I drove up I 80 to Reno, went to Sparks, then to Gardnerville. Stopped at Sportsmans warehouse in Carson City for a lookalike. Ammo' s cheaper at the River City Gun Exchange. Took 88 back to 50 to get home. Just past the 88 junction on 89 there was an orange AG Inspection Ahead sign. Just around the corner, cones on the center line and a stop sign. Stop sign was manned by a US AG Dept guy. He asked if I had any animals, fruits or produce. Didn't mention firearms or ammo. I said nope and was on my way.

The odd thing was that off on the right in the pull out was a bright blue 20' or so trailer that said Police Department on the side of it and a bunch of personnel. I stretched my neck trying to find a logo or a department name, but didn't see any. Maybe the Ferret POPO? They had a semi pulled over to inspect. The nearest city is Markleeville and Meyers and they don't have PD' s.

I was tempted to take a pic, but didn't have the balls to bust out the phone.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

On my last trip back from AZ they just asked about fruit. I told them no fruit, just six cases of ammo I bought in Tucson. They waved me though.
Old 08-14-2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post

The odd thing was that off on the right in the pull out was a bright blue 20' or so trailer that said Police Department on the side of it and a bunch of personnel. I stretched my neck trying to find a logo or a department name, but didn't see any. Maybe the Ferret POPO? They had a semi pulled over to inspect. The nearest city is Markleeville and Meyers and they don't have PD' s.

But clearly nothing to do with out of state ammo purchases. Because again, no agency is going to spend that kind of money for a $250 or so ticket. Could have been commercial truck enforcement, drug interdiction, etc. Stuff people get sent to jail for with serious time attached.
Old 08-14-2018, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
Ok, not to build upon the paranoia, but today I drove up I 80 to Reno, went to Sparks, then to Gardnerville. Stopped at Sportsmans warehouse in Carson City for a lookalike. Ammo' s cheaper at the River City Gun Exchange. Took 88 back to 50 to get home. Just past the 88 junction on 89 there was an orange AG Inspection Ahead sign. Just around the corner, cones on the center line and a stop sign. Stop sign was manned by a US AG Dept guy. He asked if I had any animals, fruits or produce. Didn't mention firearms or ammo. I said nope and was on my way.

Where 89 "T's" into 88 is Picketts Junction, there used to be a truck scale on the west bound side of 88, just east of that junction. Hasn't been in in use since the 1970's or early 1980's though. So for trucks "needing" to by pass the Truckee scales the 395 to 88 route was the way to go. Interesting they have a temporary AG inspection station there though. Would have been interesting to ID the PD trailer though, like you stated Meyers and Markleeville don't have a PD they use the County sheriffs Alpine or El Dorado, CHP with mutual aid from NV side.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:05 PM

I came back from Reno last weekend, got waved through checkpoint no problem. Been crossing there for 20 years and the only time I have ever been asked to stop was 2 years ago while towing a u haul trailer. Asked to open up trailer and inspect.

I complied for some reason, it was just furniture inside the trailer. My 1911 was in a locked container, not inside the trailer.

And come to think of it, I have traveled across half the country and have only seen agriculture check points at CA border crossings. what gives???
Old 08-14-2018, 8:42 PM

I have never been stopped there ever just waived through. I go through about 5 or 6 time a year for the last 30 years
Old 08-14-2018, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbeer View Post
I came back from Reno last weekend, got waved through checkpoint no problem. Been crossing there for 20 years and the only time I have ever been asked to stop was 2 years ago while towing a u haul trailer. Asked to open up trailer and inspect.

I complied for some reason, it was just furniture inside the trailer. My 1911 was in a locked container, not inside the trailer.

And come to think of it, I have traveled across half the country and have only seen agriculture check points at CA border crossings. what gives???
Inspecting against fruit flies getting in.
Old 08-15-2018, 5:38 AM

The CHP and SO's I see at the AG checks are just BSing.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna-be dictators, traitors, old fools, or kleptocratic thieves for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 08-15-2018, 6:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just got a first hand report from one of our club member. Coming back from Pyramid Range north of Reno, member was stopped at Ag inspection station on I-80. First asked about fruit and vegetables, then turned over to CHP who asked about guns and ammo. Driver stated it was in a locked box in back of truck and allowed to proceed.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 08-15-2018, 6:44 AM
Veteran Member

Just drove down on 80 again yesterday to visit grand kids in Salinas Valley area. Just the usual nod.
Old 08-15-2018, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

I passed that AG station last month, no check.
Old 08-15-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
The CHP and SO's I see at the AG checks are just BSing.
And emptying the coffee pot! When I would visit my Dad while he was working, there was usually one perched on the corner of the counter where the coffee maker was. They would swing by the house from time to time to talk something over with Dad (mostly home projects), the neighbors must have thought that I was always getting in to trouble.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

First Hand.....that means From You!

Not brother/mother micky or mike.

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 08-15-2018, 11:27 AM

I used to live in Truckee (9 years worth). Always got the wave through, never stopped etc....

Unless there a video showing what happened in the first post I'm calling BS.
Old 08-15-2018, 1:46 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Quote:
Just got a first second hand report from one of our club member.
And the rest of us just got a third hand report about it.

I know these types of posts are made with good intentions (letting your comrades know about a potential problem). But more often than not, the facts are either skewed, missing, or completely wrong, and so the second-hand and third-hand reports do more harm than good. It just causes paranoia and concern where it isn't warranted.

No offense, but I generally ignore and disregard anything I hear unless I'm hearing it directly from someone it happened to, or I witnessed it myself, or it's verified by several other known people who experienced the same. You should adopt a similar policy.

Before warning others that the sky is falling, you should make sure the sky is falling.

Anyone remember back in the early 2000's when there was a common story most of us heard from people we knew? It went something like this:

My friend's aunt was at the grocery store the other day, and a nice middle eastern lady in front of her in the checkout line was short $5 for her groceries, so my aunt gave it her. Then when my friend's aunt went out to her car, the middle eastern lady said, "I'm not supposed to say anything, but do NOT drink the city water starting on the first of the month", and then left.

What started as a nice gesture to warn others about a potential problem they heard about third-hand, turned into a whole bunch of people being terrified over nothing.

Last edited by CandG; 08-15-2018 at 2:02 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Friend came back from Vegas last week with ammo....no problem, no stop, no check, no CHP, no penalty, no veggies, no burritos.

I came through 2 weeks ago, also from Vegas....no stops, no weird looks, no nothing.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 08-15-2018, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

I drive through 2 different ones usually every week for AZ/CA.

The small one outside town sometimes asks where I was coming from, or if i have any fruit. Just say nope, or tell them the city i just came from and then proceed.

The big one off the 10 freeway at blythe going into Ca doesn't say 2 words to you, just is keeping an eye on i guess suspicious vehicles? Ive just california rolled right through the stop sign for the past 20 years as the wave their hand.

No reason to start the douchy "am i being detained crap" so pointless.
Old 08-15-2018, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When your vehicle has stickers like this, its common to be asked if you have any guns and ammo.

Attachment 731014

Last edited by RandyD; 10-11-2020 at 1:02 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 6:36 PM

Deleted

Last edited by inyocountymark; 08-15-2018 at 6:39 PM.. Reason: Got beat to it
Old 08-15-2018, 7:41 PM
Banned

I've had to roll up the back door of the UHaul I was driving at the checkpoint on the 10. All there was in the back was neatly stacked boxes and a four foot long bearded Viking axe which was fitting since there was a picture of a Viking ship on the side of the van.
Old 08-16-2018, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

So what if the incident reported in post 1 happened. What if the officer was looking for someone for a reason unrelated to bringing ammo in and was simply asking about guns and ammo to give him a better look at the driver/occupants of vehicles and check their demeanor?
Old 08-16-2018, 9:00 AM
Clean Cut American Kid 🇺🇸
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemountains View Post
I used to live in Truckee (9 years worth). Always got the wave through, never stopped etc....

Unless there a video showing what happened in the first post I'm calling BS.
I’ve driven thru the Truckee Ag check hundreds, maybe a thousand times over the last twenty five years. NEVER been asked once if I was carrying any guns or ammo, even when I’ve had rifle cases in the bed of my truck after a camp trip or day of shooting in the desert. Same with the 395, 50 and I-5 bug stops. Even stopping to answer the bug station attendants questions is a rarity these days, I can’t remeber the last time it’s even happened.

Prove it OP. Otherwise it’s nothing but BS.
Old 08-16-2018, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post
I’ve driven thru the Truckee Ag check hundreds, maybe a thousand times over the last twenty five years. NEVER been asked once if I was carrying any guns or ammo, even when I’ve had rifle cases in the bed of my truck after a camp trip or day of shooting in the desert. Same with the 395, 50 and I-5 bug stops. Even stopping to answer the bug station attendants questions is a rarity these days, I can’t remeber the last time it’s even happened.

Prove it OP. Otherwise it’s nothing but BS.
I tend to believe the post but am chalking it up to "there is some thing that triggered this that we don't know".

That THING could be anything from:
- New Ag station guy thought this was what was sposed to be done
- CHP guy sees vehicle coming, which matches description of some vehicle they are interested in for some reason, check was just excuse for them to get closer look
- Bored CHP saying "hold my coffee, watch this"

But I seriously doubt it heralds some new practice. If CA has been letting cars come through the AG checkpoints for years (when they were set up to prevent damage to our multi-billion dollar a year farming industry) with just a wave, I seriously doubt they are going to re-purpose them to catch the .001% of Californians who might be trying to bring some ammo into the state.

Guys lets not forget an important fact: We think all this stuff is critical because we like shooting guns. To the rest of the state, they don't like guns and might vote against them when the time comes, but they probably don't spend all their days fuming about how bad guns are. Nor do the cops have time to worry about otherwise law abiding citizens who might have run afoul of some new law.

In other words, if there started to be a traffic stoppage on an already crowded and generally slow HWY 80 cuz LEO started checking every car for this stuff, the complaints from the general population would probably quickly put an end to it.
Old 08-16-2018, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc0844spare View Post
In other words, if there started to be a traffic stoppage on an already crowded and generally slow HWY 80 cuz LEO started checking every car for this stuff, the complaints from the general population would probably quickly put an end to it.
this completely.

the amount of people they will catch bringing in ammo vs the amount of traffic this will cause is lopsided.

unless you got very obvious signs that show you are carrying ammo, the LEOs will not have time to ask every car that comes through especially on a holiday weekend. imagine the traffic jam that would ensue.

just be discreet about it. keep it out of sight and you are golden.

i mean just look like all the illegal fireworks that get brought into CA each year. and fireworks have been banned in CA a lot longer than ammo has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 08-16-2018, 9:26 AM

I headed to Reno later today. We will see if we get stopped on the way back