Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-06-2018, 9:05 PM

Default Thoughts on Pacific Tool and Gauge B-52 short actions

Newbie here. Been looking for an action to build a bench/predator rifle. I have a Grayboe stock and Bartlein 6mm varmint blank. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 6:41 AM

PT&G doesn't seem to have a very good reputation for customer service. Long lead times, large cancellation/restocking fees for parts that never shipped. Do a search over at snipers hide, not a lot of good things to read about them.

I've ordered a few parts from them, but their lead times are too much, and there are better options out there.

As far as actions go I think there are also better options from custom rifle shops that might be a little more cost wise, but they actually come with more parts. In the end the price is probably comparable.

Checkout the Origin action from Big Horn Arms, The Tenacity action from Defiance, or The Nucleus from American Rifle Company.
Old 08-07-2018, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

I believe they are made by Stiller Precision for PT&G. Solid actions and I've been hunting with a Stiller for the past 4 years. Nothing wrong with them. Another action in that price range is the Defiance Tenacity, take a look. And if you need a smith with fast turnaround times give me a call. With customer supplied parts I can have them done in a week or two depending on options.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 08-07-2018, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't look like a bad deal at all. Your not gaining all the nicer features of premium actions, but the price reflects that.

I'm running stock Remington actions (with the bolt/trigger matched by Randall)and have no problems with them. A good chamber job will be 90% of your builds accuracy.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:19 PM

Thank you all for taking time to respond. This is my first custom build. Life circumstances have kept me dormant from shooting and hunting for several years. I'm ready to make up for lost time, although my Father/hunting partner is in the "Happy hunting grounds"
Old 08-08-2018, 4:44 PM
AKA Gurth Brooks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD PEZZLE View Post
Checkout the Origin action from Big Horn Arms, The Tenacity action from Defiance, or The Nucleus from American Rifle Company.
Pretty much this. IMO, these three have all but taken Stiller and PTG off the map.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 08-08-2018, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

What is the twist rate of your barrel?
The B52 is a Stiller body and a PT&G bolt as Skkeeter already posted.
If you get one choose the 0.062 firing pin diameter.
What chamberings are you going with?
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 08-09-2018, 8:52 AM

1:8 Twist, .243 Winchester. I've already been shooting & reloading the .243 Winchester for 30+ years. I only shoot informally at paper and love to hunt. My 13 year old Son will get my older Ruger M77 and the new build I might share. Thanks