Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798
Arrow 19th March 2013 UPDATED: GSG 1911 long term report - Trucking along!

Disclaimer: I am no way affliated with the manufacturers, vendors, or otherwise promoting businesses within the links in this thread. They are merely listed as the resources that I used and discovered during my adventure to purchase and anticipate possible issues arising from manufacturing or use of the GSG. They are listed for your reference to save you the time of google searching yourself.

Okay this review has been a long work in progress from day 1 so I hope I don't leave anything out, please bare with me.

I knew I wanted the GSG every since I laid eyes on one. Of course being in CA I had to do my research first and work around that. A 1911-er myself a box of .45 seemed to really set me back and I lacked the time to reload again and $25+ for a box was NOT cutting it. I used the interweb to research .22 conversions as well as dedicated .22s. For the record I have a Ruger Mark II but wanted something that I could use with my duty gear. Through youtube and other forums I learned about the existing options from Chiappa, Kimber, Colt/Umarex, Browning, etc. There are nothing wrong with those, but I wanted the GSG.
Back around February I heard that one of our members (DaveFJ80) had one and contacted him. His urgency about the quality and workmanship really pushed me over the edge and I knew I needed one.

I contacted several shops about doing a SSE but the threaded barrel threw a wrench in that, so I contacted ATI about a replacement non-threaded barrel, but to no success. Upon further research I learned that ATI submitted the GSG for testing but you all know how long that takes...
Finally (in May???) it was added to the CA approved list and I called around to locate one but got the usual "we'll get it when/if we get it" so I hit a holding pattern. Then Turners came out with preorders, I thought about that but because I am in NCal...

Through your leads (thanks Calgun members )I was able to secure one and made the journey down to Watsonville to pick one up. Kudos to Joe @ the shop.

Gun comes standard with 1 10rd mag, the take down wrench, threaded barrel wrench (which I cannot use here in CA), extra sights(tall, short, in between) and sight tools, cleaning brush, lock, and paperwork.
I picked up extra mags from GSG5rifle.com for 29.95/ea + Flat 2.95 shipping (I guess $ has gone up). It took about a week to get those.

During my DROS time I continued doing research about modifications/issues and learned that later models were having Guide Rod & Barrel Bushing issues. Nervous, I went ahead and ordered a new guide rod from cwaccessories.com.
in anticipation of issues.
After receiving mine I did a field strip and took a look at my guide rod.

I did a magnet test on the bushing and I have the steel one. I guess 2nd Gen GSGs came with non-steel bushings that "spun" and coupled with different designed guide rods, created an issue.
My stock guide rod is the "upgraded" (gen 2.1?) that has a reinforced base and tip.

You can tell because the it is not an "x" all the way to the base as with the youtube video I referenced above.

CWAccessories 1 Piece SS GR and the stock “X” GR.

-------

Last edited by SantaCabinetguy; 04-15-2013 at 1:28 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798
Question ATI shipping new GR - Still Love the GSG!

My GSG also cam stock with the "clear plastic" washer and a small metal washer on top. From all the research I have done, I am the first to see this new metal piece.

OKAY, So I have a "gen 2.1" GSG and I took it to Sunnyvale R & G put it through it's paces.
I brought with me 200rds of left over Federal Blue Box and 350 Remington High Velocity Green/Yellow + a about a dozen CCI Minimags.
Throughout the whole couple hours of shooting I had one FTF and one FTE.
This was the FTF, it was from Federal Blue and it looked like this:

The bullet was already corroding, and was a crappy bullet, so I don't really blame it on the gun, but on the bullet. The FTE was because my buddy (new to pistols) was shooting and had some issue with the mag.
Overall I was amazed with this gun. NO recoil, Hours of fun, and all for about $30.
The biggest issue I had was the front sight. The stock sight (in-between) shooting too high, so I will need to install the tall one and file that down and go from there, but it's dead on. The mags functioned perfectly (and I don't have a "ruger blister" on my thumb) and after a quick 500+ rounds I do not have a paperweight!
I am looking forward to changing to a flat mainspring housing and switching the grips over, probably to VZs because I have those on my other go-to 1911.
The other thing I will probably change is the safety is too pointy and it digs in when I draw and disable the safety as I line up on target. I may also tackle the beavertail but probably not anytime soon.
I will also upgrade the guide rod once I get it in the mail.

I am so happy with this pistol. I was worried after hearing about some of those who had issues with theirs but mine was pretty flawless. I will be headed up to the PO range on Friday to do more drill scenarios and hopefully put another 1000 rounds through it.

I know it's been a long post but I wanted to make sure I discussed some issues that are out there and how my experience has differed. GSG and ATI have done a great job on this pistol and I look forward to putting many more thousands through this gun.

Other Helpful Links
Chris from ATI
Other Guide Rod Option

-------

Last edited by SantaCabinetguy; 09-07-2011 at 7:09 PM..
Old 08-17-2011, 7:24 AM

Nice review.
Old 08-17-2011, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Very nice indeed. I've recently been getting into 22s and this is running neck-n-neck with my 10/22 project as far as priorities go.
Old 08-17-2011, 8:13 AM

Good review. A few points that I'll make that you talked about....

Mine has the Gen 1 guide rod (if you want to call it that) and it looks exactly like the silver aluminum one pictured above, except mine is black steel. It has a rubber washer and a metal smaller washer on top of that (I'll take a pic of it some day) and I've never had any issues with it. I guess the X or H style guide rods are the problem childs.

When you change grips and if you want to use the better looking grip screws (torx or allen head), you'll need to change the bushings out since the existing ones are too big. Since the frame threading isn't that great, you might need to use a tap to clean up the threads before putting in new grip screw bushings.

I removed the ambi thumb safety and use a Colt non-ambi extended thumb safety (this one for $15) and it dropped right in without any mods needed. The shape and feel is exactly like the factory GSG ambi thumb safety, but it feels more solid when engaging & disengaging the safety now on my gun.

I noticed on my GSG (along with others I've read about) that they initially shoot high right at distances of 15 yards out and further. After adjusting the sights, and getting a better barrel bushing (the stock GSG one is pretty loose), you can get some really tight patterns at 15-20 yards easily.

Sounds like your GSG ate up the Federal blue boxes pretty well.... good to hear. Now go out and shoot it some more
Old 08-17-2011, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
The biggest issue I had was the front sight. It's shooting too high, so I will need to file that down and go from there, but it's dead on. [/URL]
If you file down the front sight, the gun will shoot even higher, no?

Pistols and rifles and shotguns, oh my!
Old 08-17-2011, 9:54 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Default Updated- Guide new Guide rod

So my new Guide rod came in the mail this AM so of course I had to instal ASAP.

This is from Chet @ http://www.cwaccessories.com
Notice the difference between the lengths

And the final

A better update after my next range trip on Friday.

-------
Old 08-17-2011, 9:57 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwlaml View Post
If you file down the front sight, the gun will shoot even higher, no?
Yes,

My mistake I should clarify. My gun came with the "in between" sight installed. The "tall" on is too high, so I will have to install that one and file it down a tad. It seems to be a similar experience among other reviews that I have come across. Thanks for the catch.

-------
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the nice review OP. I hope they get reasonable supplies of them in CA so there isn't a premium. My local shops have sold out and to order requires a silly premium (to me).
Old 08-17-2011, 1:23 PM

Can you post a pic of your mags? Don't know how to describe it properly, but I have 5 of them and they all have short, skinny metal grab sticks that protrude from either side of the mags. They are hell on my fingers and nails Can't wait for someone to develop a speed loader for it...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philc View Post
Can you post a pic of your mags? Don't know how to describe it properly, but I have 5 of them and they all have short, skinny metal grab sticks that protrude from either side of the mags. They are hell on my fingers and nails Can't wait for someone to develop a speed loader for it...

Not sure if that helps. I think I know what you are referring to and I personally prefer them to my ruger magazines. I still have a thumb blister from the ruger mags. :|

Pull down on the tabs and just “drop” the bullets in or you’ll cut your thumbs on the sharp feed lips.

-------

Last edited by SantaCabinetguy; 12-24-2011 at 9:59 PM..
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

WAHHH!!!!

Added 200+ rds this AM (total of 700+)
Guess I was another victim of the "spinning bushing".
Warranty claim already sent to ATI, hopefully I will get a quick response.
Still love this gun though.

-------
Old 08-20-2011, 5:29 PM

Looks like the bushing is being hit too hard by the recoil spring plug. Did you have the plastic washer from the original guide rod setup installed on the new aftermarket guide rod? I'm guessing the plastic washer was a buffer pad of sorts. A heavier recoil spring may help....or a stronger made bushing, though the force will be transfered to the slide then. Is the slide steel or zinc? I know the zinc slides on the Walther P22 pistols have a reputation of snapping.
Old 08-25-2011, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Did you have the plastic washer from the original guide rod setup installed on the new aftermarket guide rod? I'm guessing the plastic washer was a buffer pad of sorts.
Ran 850+ rounds with the new guide rod. Other than normal bulk ammo issues, gun performed well.

Might be the result of not using the plastic washer...After stripping for cleaning, noticed the new guide rod top base flared out a bit as if it were hit with a hammer. And also, the barrel now has to be forced out of the slide. It use to drop free.
Old 09-06-2011, 7:07 PM

Ran another 550 rounds today. New guide rod issues seem to hav been resolved by adding the rubber washer that came with the gun. The RO let me me open er up, ran 50 rounds rapid fire without issues. She's turning out to be a fun plinker. I still have my doubts about her durability, but i guess time will tell.

Thought this was an interesting read. I cant confirm any of it, but it sounds plausable. I could also see how that situation would also cause the guide rod to break. http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...1_22_info.html - what do you think?

Last edited by philc; 09-06-2011 at 7:11 PM..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM

I've put a little more than 4 'bricks' of ammo through my GSG so far (approx 2200 rounds) and I've still yet to run into any problems, especially with the guide rod. But then I have one of the 1st gen's (maybe it's 1st) with the large steel guide rod and rubber & metal washers, similar looking to the aluminum one in the pictures above that CW Accessories makes & sells.

As for the barrel bushing, don't worry about it as you can get a better one for the gun. I've been using a EGW prefit match grade bushing, but I had to file down the tab on it so it would fit onto the GSG slide. It's tight getting on & off, but my groupings at 20 & 25 yards are very good now. Just get another barrel bushing, might need to some fitting for it, and you'll be good to go.

Or just call ATI and give them your serial number and they'll send you another one for free. But the GSG bushings are too loose and have too much play.... perfect for reliability and field stripping it easily, but your further shot accuracy suffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philc View Post
Those small tabs are like load-assist tabs that you find an a 15-22 mag (with the red followers). IMO, it makes loading the GSG mags easy and fast. Sure it can be hard on your fingertips, but just hold a rag or small towel between your finger and the tabs and just pull the follower down and drop the rounds in. Takes me about 10 seconds to load a mag up with 11 rounds (yes, 11 rounds fits fine, feeds fine, and shoots fine with the CWA extended base pads).
Old 09-07-2011, 7:04 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

So the last update I received from "Chris" over @ ATI was I was supposed to receive a new GR & Bushing. I will most likely take those and throw them in the box, and upgrade everything. I am in the process of measuring and ordering a tight barrel bushing and I I using the stock spring and washer. Range report + new pics when I get a chance to make it out to the range...

-------
Old 09-07-2011, 7:08 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Thanks PhilC for the link about the "shoulder step" issue (I tried to find that one).

The "New" GSG (V2.1?) has a shelf molded into it to remedy the issue, but I was still the victim of the "guide rod" issue so I cannot say the issue is "cured"
Mine:

-------
Old 12-24-2011, 9:55 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Okay so I decided to revive my own thread because I keep commenting about my pistol in everyone else’s thread... ( I know, I am selfish and self-centered...)

Last update was I suffered a bent Bushing and Broken GR. I was able to get in touch with Chris from ATI and after a couple of emails he was able to get me the replacement pieces asap.
I installed them over Thanksgiving but haven’t had the chance to take it out and test it.
Here was the original bushing failure:

I was planning on getting out tomorrow AM before gifts but while I was DCOA’ing my GSG I bent the thumb safety (don’t ask) and sent the safety plunger flying, sooo I am out of commission until I get replacements for those.

My plan was to ditch the ambi safety, replace the MSH, different grips and eventually the grip safety so i’m just doing all that sooner than expected.

What I was able to do today was upgrade the Bushing with a solid one from EGW. I was recommended this particular bushing from another board and the fit and finish of this is tight and smooth. I am actually excited to try it out with this bushing.

Comparison between stock GSG bushing and the EGW bushing.

I also upgraded the hammer to an all SS one from midway.
These are the parts I am working with now:

I will update again as soon as get the new thumb safety and safety plunger.

Overall, I am having so much fun tinkering with this and I am glad that I bought it... Now if only it came in OD Green

-------

Last edited by SantaCabinetguy; 12-24-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Also with the New GR came a new spring:
Can you notice the difference?

Top one is the replacement
Bottom one is the stock one (Notice the taper on the left side)

More pictures:

Looks 2 tone, not sure why.

(EGW Bushing, CWAccessories GR)

-------
Old 12-25-2011, 7:45 AM

I'm convinced. I'll be making this my next purcahse!
Old 12-25-2011, 7:55 AM

i'm right behind ya. I broke the guide rod, and got the CW one. I'm now going to get the EGW bushing and go from there
Old 12-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

The Colt extended thumb safety (non-ambi) is a perfect match to the look & shape of the GSG 1911 ambi thumb safety.

I got the blued one (not matte) and it matches perfectly. Dropped right in without any fitment issues.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Ubermcoupe let us know how that hammer works out I have been thinking about changing mine out. Also when you change your MSH try a 19lb spring thats what I,m using now I bought a spring kit with different weights and the 19 has worked the best. The best thing about these guns (besides shooting) is because there inexpensive we can experiment with them without the cost getting to crazy. As always have fun, be safe and enjoy.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:24 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

I had a couple questions about the parts I ordered so here is the first order:
EGW Prefit Match Barrel SS : Midway # 155890
Colt Enhanced Hammer SS: Midway # 848198
EB Flat Mainspring housing SS: Midway # 762503

Most of my parts will probably be colt parts because there are less expensive then some other replacement parts, and because I wanted to try and keep this an inexpensive shooter I am refraining (for now) from using non essential expensive parts. Alas I am beginning to get the mod bug...

I will update with my 2nd parts list once I receive them from Mr. Potterfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
The Colt extended thumb safety (non-ambi) is a perfect match to the look & shape of the GSG 1911 ambi thumb safety.
I think I may have ordered that one, or the non extended one, can’t remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhemi View Post
Ubermcoupe let us know how that hammer works out I have been thinking about changing mine out. Also when you change your MSH try a 19lb spring thats what I,m using now I bought a spring kit with different weights and the 19 has worked the best. The best thing about these guns (besides shooting) is because there inexpensive we can experiment with them without the cost getting to crazy. As always have fun, be safe and enjoy.
Agreed. The hammer has considerable weight compared to the stock one, so I have some high expectations for my next range trip. I will have to look into the 19lb spring. Does anyone know the factory GSG 1911 MSH weight?

I have an entire pin/spring set on its way (figured I’d get the whole set incase I lose another part while tinkering).

-------
Old 12-25-2011, 4:05 PM

Does anyone know the factory GSG 1911 MSH weight?

This is a question I've been trying to get a answer to also. As for the pin/spring kit unless its from GSG I belive I read on the 1911 forum that some of the retaining pins and holes are a different size from the standard 1911.
Old 12-25-2011, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think I may have ordered that one, or the non extended one, can’t remember
I actually ordered both, the regular Colt non-ambi thumb safety and the extended one. I actually bought the regular one first, and realized that it wasn't what I wanted. It was the GI style, and it was actually a bit small to release the safety at times. I then just bought the extended one the next time and that showed up looking exactly like the GSG thumb safety, just non-ambi. Perfect fit and style/shape.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know the factory GSG 1911 MSH weight?

This is a question I've been trying to get a answer to also. As for the pin/spring kit unless its from GSG I belive I read on the 1911 forum that some of the retaining pins and holes are a different size from the standard 1911.
I hope not too different. I am going to be pretty P’d if I have to wait for ATI to ship me a replacement. :Fingercrossed: for my new parts to work 100%!!!

-------
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Default This Just In...

Well I am winding down my day but I really wanted to get my posterior to the range tomorrow to try out all my goodies so I got out into the garage and found the thumb safety plunger that went flying across the garage striking the air compressor tank. Turns out it was under it and with the handy dollar store extendable magnet thingy I was able to grab it.

With a little more caution (and a cool, level head) I was able to get it back into the GSG without a hitch, but only after an interruption.

I even thought about “sprinfielding” my new MSH to get it installed but decided to just wait for Mr. Potterfield to deliver a brand new spring set before putting in the new MSH.

My Thumb safety is still not “solid” enough so I will replace it, but I now have a working safety on my pistol so tomorrow should be fun.
I will also get a chance to try out the surefire shot timer app on my iGizmo.

Range trip tomorrow, update soon after!

-------
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Time of Ownership: 5 Months
Rounds this trip: ~200
Round Count: ~1000

Okay so I made it to the range yesterday afternoon.

[IMG][/IMG]
Had to test out my new pistols and the new loads.
My .357 loads were seated too far out and wouldn’t fit in my trooper, fit in the S&W though, but I digress.

Got about two magazines in before some other folks showed up so I was limited to 25yds, not best for “sighting in” but enough for function and other “tests.”

Action cycled fine, when it cycled. I kept getting solid strikes on the primers but the GSG wouldn’t go bang every couple of rounds.
Thought it might be the hammer I switched out as the difference between the stock hammer and the colt hammer is a considerable weight?
Maybe the spring in my MSH wasn’t strong enough, but I had visible strikes on the primers?
Maybe I over oiled it after cleaning? Never had that problem with a .22 though.
Any suggestions guys?

I goofed and only brought one type of ammo (The Remington pictured) so I am chalking this trip us as crappy ammo. It was pretty cold out, maybe there was to much humidity in the ammo? My Goof for only bringing one type.
Might be my grip safety, but then the hammer wouldn’t drop so probably not.

Anyways Mr. Potterfield sent me a notice that my new parts are on the way, hopefully I will get them soon and be back up @ the range by the end of the week. This time with that CCI & Federal I have in the corner.

If you guys have any ideas about the failure to fires please help me troubleshoot this. Thanks.

-------
Old 12-27-2011, 1:59 PM

Thanks for this comprehensive write-up on the GSG. I've been wanting this 1911 style 22pistol for sometime but the negatives I've read from other owners turned me off. I'll probably purchase one in the near future. I will definitely use your experience to upgrade the GSG.

Oh yeah, how'd you teach your dog to "field strip" your pistol? Talk about a "man's best friend"!
Old 12-27-2011, 2:11 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRESSOR View Post
Thanks for this comprehensive write-up on the GSG. I've been wanting this 1911 style 22pistol for sometime but the negatives I've read from other owners turned me off. I'll probably purchase one in the near future. I will definitely use your experience to upgrade the GSG.

Oh yeah, how'd you teach your dog to "field strip" your pistol? Talk about a "man's best friend"!
Don’t let the negative reviews turn you off. I walked into my purchase knowing full well the “issues” that the GSG had. I actually bought the CW accessories SS guide rod in anticipation of a failure.

The only thing I could absolutely upgrade would be the bushing.
I would recommend upgrading the guide rod, and IMO, my GR failed because of the “spinning" bushing.

The other issues I keep encountering as I tinker with my GSG.

And with the dog, man it took alot of treats to get him to do that. I have to watch him though because if I leave him alone he begins to eat the parts...

-------
Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

CWAccessories 1 Piece SS GR and the stock “X” GR.

I finally got around to taking some pictures, but here is what my "1st gen" GSG guide rod looks like. It's all steel and very solid, just like the CWA SS guide rod I picked up. The GSG guide rod is actually 1-piece and the CWA SS guide rod is 2 pieces (the CWA cylinder was hollowed out to accept the rod through it.... don't know if this will actually cause any issues or not). I didn't need the CW guide rod, but I just got it anyways since it was cheap and for reassurance.

After 2400-ish rounds through my GSG, you can see no wear marks and no bending of the guide rod at all. It's a very solid piece, so I have no idea why ATI decided to change to the new 'X' style guide rods.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Ubermcoupe I would say it's the ammo. Mine had a hard time shooting Remington until I put that 19lb MSH spring in now I only have a few FTF with that ammo.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

If it helps, my bone stock GSG 1911 loves the 40 gr. Federal Auto-Match stuff!!! It's a little finicky with Winchester Super X High Velocity.

Old 12-28-2011, 2:47 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
I finally got around to taking some pictures, but here is what my "1st gen" GSG guide rod looks like. It's all steel and very solid, just like the CWA SS guide rod I picked up. The GSG guide rod is actually 1-piece and the CWA SS guide rod is 2 pieces (the CWA cylinder was hollowed out to accept the rod through it.... don't know if this will actually cause any issues or not). I didn't need the CW guide rod, but I just got it anyways since it was cheap and for reassurance.

After 2400-ish rounds through my GSG, you can see no wear marks and no bending of the guide rod at all. It's a very solid piece, so I have no idea why ATI decided to change to the new 'X' style guide rods.

Thanks fir the pics Dave! (I’ve been wondering where you disappeared to... BTW, what ever happened to the SSE barre you used for your GSG???)

Quote:
Ubermcoupe I would say it's the ammo. Mine had a hard time shooting Remington until I put that 19lb MSH spring in now I only have a few FTF with that ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
If it helps, my bone stock GSG 1911 loves the 40 gr. Federal Auto-Match stuff!!! It's a little finicky with Winchester Super X High Velocity.
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was the ammo. Hopefully I will make it up to the range again soon.

-------
Old 12-28-2011, 4:33 PM

Mine is still in the stock form and I put between 1500 to 2000 rds through the GSG 1911 so far. I lost track of the round count because I was shooting a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger 22/45 on the same day the second time I took the GSG 1911 to the range. I had a few FTF the first time because I didn't seat the first round of the mag properly. Once I learn to pay attention to the first round then I had zero trouble with the gun and with all kinds of high velocity ammo.

I really hope it stays this way because I didn't plan to replace anything on the gun. The thumb safety is uncomfortable but since it's only a 22 I can tolerate it.
Old 12-28-2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks fir the pics Dave! (I’ve been wondering where you disappeared to... BTW, what ever happened to the SSE barre you used for your GSG???)
I'm still around, just not posting as much but still checking out this site everyday.

I still have my SSE barrel. We used a Gemtech thread adapter that we affixed to another barrel and put an extension on that. The adapter is toast but still usable, and I just took a heatgun to melt the solder on the threads and popped that off. I put the comp onto the spare barrel and some solder on the threads so that it's 'permanent' and legal to use in CA. It just takes some maneuvering of the recoil spring & plug to get it in, and it's harder to put in with the longer CWA guide rod so I use my stock one.
Old 12-29-2011, 3:22 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

0o0o, Mr. Potterfield just dropped off a package for me! Hopefully I will get the install in tonight and range before the end of the week.

-------
Old 12-30-2011, 4:51 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Okay so I commandeered some time this afternoon to install my newest components and do the latest mods.

Parts to put in today:
Complete MSH
Thumb safety
Grips

Disassembled as normal and got the old MSH out and installed the new MSH (with MS cap, retaining pin, Housing pin, etc) and it went in quite easily.
Its stainless, not sure why I keep going with SS...

With the old arched MSH and the way I grip the frame I have been looking forward to the flat one

Also put in the new safety and man that thing is stiff. I am sure it will loosen with use but i’d entertain any suggestions any of you might have to smooth it out quicker.

Threw on some hogue grips I had lying around as well.

Assuming the rain stays away I hope to get up to the range sometime this weekend. More to come.

-------