Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-06-2018, 9:15 AM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by digelectric View Post
Bought the curved ELF-SE. hope it works out. I’m not sure if 3.5 lbs is too light but I’ll find out.
I have the straight version of this and like it. My favorite was the Geissele Super T until I grabbed a CMC 2-2.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmai24 View Post
Get a milspec trigger, polish it up with some white diamond bar and a jp springs for 11.50 from joebob and while you’re at it buy everything else you need from there and get free shipping for orders $90+ (Fast shipping). Best $11.50 you’ve ever spent. Try that first before you buy drop in triggers. YouTube is your best friend..plenty of vids on how to install trigger group as well as how to polish.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP-.../jp-jps3.5.htm
The guy is not even comfortable installing a trigger and you tell him to polish one?
Old 02-06-2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
The guy is not even comfortable installing a trigger and you tell him to polish one?
Yeah I read that too..was a bit hesitant to recommend it but figured what the hey..YouTube helps out a lot. Some people are timid just because they’re unsure of how something works but after seeing someone else do it, that may be a confidence booster. I was trying to give OP the benefit of the doubt regarding his mechanical skills, took it as an opportunity for OP to get intimate with his rifle.
Old 02-06-2018, 3:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post
I have the straight version of this and like it. My favorite was the Geissele Super T until I grabbed a CMC 2-2.
Agree, for the longest time Geissele was my favorite until I tried the CMC 2/2, now that's my favorite.
Old 02-06-2018, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Agree, for the longest time Geissele was my favorite until I tried the CMC 2/2, now that's my favorite.
I need to try one. I love the single 3.5's, especially the CMC flat and the Lantac Curved.
Old 02-06-2018, 7:01 PM

I have 2 Rise and a Velocity. I like the Velocity better, even more so after taking it apart and cleaning it up a bit it. My favorite, although not a drop in is the Jard.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:31 AM

Has anyone tried the new ATI Extreme Target Trigger 3.5#? (https://www.americantactical.us/5749/detail.html). ATI has them on their website for $119.95, but I expect they may be available for less elsewhere. They look like pretty typical drop-in trigger units, except they don't require anti-walk pins. Here's ATI's description:

NEW IN 2017!

100% Made in the USA

American Tactical Extreme Drop-In Target Trigger

This patent pending match target grade drop-in trigger is patterned to fit into any Mil-Spec AR15 pattern lower receiver. Unlike other drop in triggers that require special anti-walk pins, this trigger uses standard MIL-SPEC AR15 hammer and trigger pins. Holds in place through two vertical tension adjustment screws. This trigger features a smooth 3.5-pound pull, with a glass smooth reset on follow through. Built of an aluminum body and steel components.

• 3.5-pound trigger pull weight
• Drop-In ready to any MIL-SPEC AR15 lower receiver including the Omni Hybrid
• Patent Pending Design
• Uses Standard MIL-SPEC AR15 Hammer/Trigger Pins (not included)
• Smooth Pull and Reset
• Black Anodized finish to Aluminum housing
• Black Oxide finish to Internal Components

Last edited by DougB; 02-07-2018 at 3:38 AM..
Old 02-07-2018, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

I've sold a lot of Elftmann SE and Match triggers. Have used some myself. So far, they've been great and the customers seem to love them.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 02-07-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Has anyone tried the new ATI Extreme Target Trigger 3.5#? (https://www.americantactical.us/5749/detail.html). ATI has them on their website for $119.95, but I expect they may be available for less elsewhere.
A CMC 3.5 for $120-$140 when they go on special is the best trigger for the $$ for my taste. But I've only tried a few Geissele and own SSA, SSA-E... inexpensive Hiperfire's, RRA Match, etc... haven't tried everything. CMC's have a great feel and reset that I love. They also work great in anything I put them in, including gen1 and gen2 PA-10's.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM

My local store had about 8 triggers set up on a display where you could dry fire them, out of all of them the Triggertech felt the best by far. I bought one and put it in one of my rifles and I'm very happy with it.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

It is getting a little dated, but "The Truth About Guns" website evaluated a number of drop-in triggers. Methodology used looks solid.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...igger-roundup/
Old 02-07-2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRborneRN87 View Post
Excellent find! with The KNS pins added as well for $108.

I have 2 of these, fantastic trigger, on sale right now for $99. Larue has sold 35k of them. I have geissele’s too but you can’t beat the MBT for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM

OP, don't know if you bought a trigger yet, but JoeBob's has the CMC single-stage triggers in the 3.5 lbs. pull for $129.95 plus free shipping. Use coupon code CMC18.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/CMC...mc-91503ar.htm
Old 02-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Watch the wts classifieds on here. I got a BNIB CMC 3.5 on here for $100.

My wife’s AR has a drop in timney 3 pound. Very nice trigger, little better than the CMC just as far as cleanness of break goes. The timney was like $250 though.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 PM

What if you will be shooting more target than tactical, would the Timney Targa short stage be the best compromise?

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnrcp View Post
What if you will be shooting more target than tactical, would the Timney Targa short stage be the best compromise?
RRA match triggers are really nice too, quite a bit cheaper than that timney too. I probably couldn’t buy timney again, they’re pretty spendy...
Old 02-10-2018, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
RRA match triggers are really nice too, quite a bit cheaper than that timney too. I probably couldn’t buy timney again, they’re pretty spendy...
IIRC, the problem with Rock River Arms and JP triggers is both use oversized pins. So unless you're willing to ream out your lower holes to the larger size, I wouldn't choose either.

If you have a lower that already has slightly oversized holes due to incorrect drilling or excessive wear, either of those triggers might be right up your alley.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
IIRC, the problem with Rock River Arms and JP triggers is both use oversized pins. So unless you're willing to ream out your lower holes to the larger size, I wouldn't choose either.

If you have a lower that already has slightly oversized holes due to incorrect drilling or excessive wear, either of those triggers might be right up your alley.
Hmm never had this problem with RRA and I’ve used them in factory complete lowers and also half a dozen home builds for me and friends while helping them build. I drilled right to nominal on the 80 percent lowers I made for myself, not a single issue with pin to hole fitment.

I had an issue helping a friend with his lower. He milled it complete from a piece of 6061-T6511 bar stock (he is a CNC programmer and machinist). He had it duracoated after and the duracoat was causing the pin to hang up slightly due to a little burr on the thru holes for the pins. I just tapped the pin with a small mallet and it broke the burr and everything else went fine.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
IIRC, the problem with Rock River Arms
I only have one RRA - some kind of "Match" trigger I got for about $60... it is ok/mediocre. No problem installing on a standard lower at all though. Under $100 I'd probably get a Hiperfire EDT3.
Old 02-10-2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Nope. RR uses standard-size pins. I had one in one of my receivers for years. Eventually switched to a Geissele.
Old 02-10-2018, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Just installed a Hiperfire 3g I bought reading this thread. It replaced a Hiperfire EDT. Id liked the EDT. The 3g seems unnecessary for HD. It feels nice and crisp with the middle spring. It does provide a surprise break.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 02-10-2018 at 1:44 PM..
Old 02-10-2018, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Really nice for $90
Old 02-10-2018, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Nope. RR uses standard-size pins. I had one in one of my receivers for years. Eventually switched to a Geissele.
RRA uses oversized pins (.156). I know because I called them and asked if they sent me the wrong pins.

Google it. There's threads all over the internet about it.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-10-2018, 5:44 PM

Right to Bear trigger with a JP yellow spring.
Old 02-12-2018, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

a. Assembling the FCG is really, really not that big a deal at all.

Just watch a few YouTube videos, read a few good picture-laden tutorials, have them handy while you do it, and you'll be good to go; promise.

b. That being said, you will get a better trigger with a drop-in; the pull will be so much cleaner & lighter.

I've always been a huge fan of CMC's flat triggers and they've been showing up in a lot of places on sale for ~$129 or so, whereas previously they've been closer to $229. - Huge discount!

I love the look & feel of their flat triggers; I feel the flat trigger adds a beautiful custom & unique look to the gun, and because I have large hands, the added pull length combined with a beavertail grip is most comfortable to my hands.

Otherwise something like a standard A2 grip, no beavertail + curved trigger makes me feel like I'm shooting a gun designed for a kid.
Old 02-12-2018, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
a. Assembling the FCG is really, really not that big a deal at all.
No kidding... if you PAY ATTENTION a little bit when you remove the FCG, you won't have any problems. Take pics with your phone if your are worried. Most things only fit one way. Common sense goes a long way.

If you took everything apart and took no mental notes you might have screwed up... but yeah, YOUTUBE.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
No kidding... if you PAY ATTENTION a little bit when you remove the FCG, you won't have any problems. Take pics with your phone if your are worried. Most things only fit one way. Common sense goes a long way.

If you took everything apart and took no mental notes you might have screwed up... but yeah, YOUTUBE.
Agreed. Just go slow, do it at a time & place when you won't have distractions and it's all good.

I keep my iPad at the bench & have 1-2 videos pulled up along with web pages that have picture-rich guides....it's easy to forget if you don't do it all the time.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
I've always been a huge fan of CMC's flat triggers and they've been showing up in a lot of places on sale for ~$129 or so, whereas previously they've been closer to $229. - Huge discount!
I love those CMC's I have a Lantac flat and a CMC curved to install still. Probably the RRA and SSA will go in the spares box. Projects like that take forever for me to get done... all I got done this weekend after normal weekend chores was swapping some red dots finally.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:43 AM

Default AR drop in trigger

Ruger Elite 452 trigger for $99
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-el...r-trigger.html
Old 02-13-2018, 8:47 AM

I have POF 3.5 trigger for 80 bucks new..

Formally Klarus Lights USA Distributor
Old 02-14-2018, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've tried a bunch in demo lowers but never bit. The one I did like was the Gissele SAA-E. Others I did not like. I do have a couple of RRA triggers and like those for the $62 I paid.

With so many new products whom would have insight into a trigger like the SAA-E but a lower price? I prefer a crisp 2 stage over a single stage.