Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-12-2018, 2:46 AM
Veteran Member

Default Masonry drill bits to stand shepherd hook in desert?

Shooting in BLM land, I have a set of 5 plates with shepherds hook stands that have been giving me set up issues.

The ground is like plaster in 90% of situations. It prevents me from setting up the way I want the stage. With a 3 pound dead blow hammer, it just won’t go. Anything heavier destroys the stand.

Anyone have experience drilling into the desert ground with a masonry drill bit? Any other tool work better?
Old 02-12-2018, 5:40 AM
Veteran Member

It shouldn't be a problem. I set receivers in the ground for holiday flag service. Using a 7/8" auger bit 12" long in clay and decomposed granite. They wear out fairly quick but I get about 100 receivers set by time it is finished. Depending on what you need make sure your drill is up to the task.
Old 02-12-2018, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

I like confabs these are fasteners that come with a carbon tip masonry bit. They are sold like other types of concrete fasteners at HomeDepot Lowes etc...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-12-2018, 8:45 AM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I’ve had similar issues with hard packed ground. I’ve been successful though by driving a large spike or rebar in the ground & then pulling it out. Makes a good starter hole.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

It may help with the top layer, but once you get through that if the sand below isn't stable enough to hold the weight you're going to still have the same problem.

You may be better off building some type of stand that sit's on top of ground, then anchored down.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:44 PM

I don’t really know what a shepherds hook target stand is, but I bought a cheap aluminum sawhorse type stand from harbor freight and hang my steel from it. Easy setup.
Old 02-12-2018, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
It may help with the top layer, but once you get through that if the sand below isn't stable enough to hold the weight you're going to still have the same problem.

You may be better off building some type of stand that sit's on top of ground, then anchored down.
I've got stands for 2x4s to hold IPSC plates, but I really want to make these shepherd hooks work for small 8 inch plates. Theyre cost effective.

I'll try the spike tip and the masonry drill bit.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2018, 7:38 AM

I'd consider hauling out a different target setup rather than hauling out tools and equipment to setup one that doesn't work.
Lots of cheap ideas online.
Old 02-13-2018, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

A long mason bit and cordless drill will sink into any soil like butter
Old 02-13-2018, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oddly enough I picked up a 3/8” x18 and 1/2” x24” masrony bits off of Craig’s list for $20 for this exact purpose.

Bring the 18v hammer drill and a few batteries along.

You can drill 3-6 holes before driving a T post

Or 1-2 holes before your Shepard’s hook.

The sand can be funny. Sometimes you are left with a clean hole and other times the hole collapses.

I got the idea while in San Juan. The resort would set up your beach chairs and umbrella. The umbrella was set up with a 2 1/2” auger on a cordless drill.

Hole was bored in the sand and then the umbrella post was dropped in place.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-13-2018, 2:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I use steel surveyors stakes and slide PVC pipe over them. Makes cheap frames for paper targets.
Anyway, they'll go through desert hardpan without difficulty and you can beat on them with a 15 lb sledge without damaging them. I bought a bunch at OSH years ago at $4-$5 IIRC and still use them to this day.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:36 PM

There is soil in the deserts called caliche, when we built our fist house my wife and I were installing electrical conduit before the slab was poured. My wife was digging on the opposite corner from me. I asked her what was taking her so long? She said you come over and try to dig. That was my first experience with caliche, although I had to inquire with the locals to find out what it actually was. It is nearly as hard as concrete!