Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-05-2018, 9:14 PM

These are good for mounting to the wall next to your Safe. As the reviews indicate the auto function doesn't really work, but they are good otherwise.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/80277136/
Old 02-07-2018, 3:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I guess, from the comments that my case of 12 dollar store candles sitting in my emergency stash was a good idea. I did break one out on the kitchen table, 2 power outages ago to show my daughter "what grandma and grandpa had to use", as they didn't have the tech we do today. I got these before I started buying more battery powered options, as I only had a few lights at the time.

Thanks for the info y'all.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I have plenty of LED lanterns to use but I also have bought some LED desk lamps that run off of 5v USB power. That way I can plug them into a small power bank and run them for days if needed.
What is the capacity of your USB power banks, if you can run them for days?
Old 02-07-2018, 4:24 AM
Calguns Addict

It has been my experience that if you actually have to do something at night you learn than a flashlight is not as good as a headlamp.

because even the cheap plastic two LED headband type headlights (made by Duracell or better but nothing that's very bulky you're looking for lightweight and thin ish) give you two hands-free,
which if you're up doing things at night or when the power is out you will probably need as many hands-free as you can get. Having to put down a flashlight a name it and the direction and then need to move it again if you're working on something is a waste.

Which brings me to the thread question...

I usually just take my headband light off and gently put a clear plastic gallon jug of water on top of it or beside it near the bottom pointed in the direction I need. This system magnifies and defuses the headlamps beam style lighting.
( the water jug might help with the overheating effect someone else mentioned but I've never run into overheating headlamps.)

it's not enough to light a big room but attend or small area it will allow you to see plenty to function.

Lanterns are fine for some applications but if you're walking with one you might be giving your self a type of night blindness with the light shining back at you. Flashlights also have good points for checking your house or certain areas but a headlamp is lightweight, usually inexpensive, allows you to see your problem... even if your problems are moving as you work on them.
Old 02-07-2018, 4:24 AM
Veteran Member

You can tail stand a flashlight under a plastic gallon Milk jug... PRESTO instant LED lantern!
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 02-07-2018, 4:33 AM
Calguns Addict

ENTHUSIAST ,
we're just going to pretend like you didn't read my post extremely fast and copy my idea ( that I personally
"Pat-and-Ted" in 1984.)

Because otherwise we're going to have to go with that old saying of

"Great minds think alike,
and at the same darn time"

and I'm just not feeling up to having a great mind right now.

Old 02-07-2018, 4:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
ENTHUSIAST ,
we're just going to pretend like you didn't read my post extremely fast and copy my idea ( that I personally
"Pat-and-Ted" in 1984.)

Because otherwise we're going to have to go with that old saying of

"Great minds think alike,
and at the same darn time"

and I'm just not feeling up to having a great mind right now.

Great minds are thinking alike on this one... also 40+ post in and no one brought up the milk jug? what is up with that?
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 02-07-2018, 5:37 AM

These
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=benUM9YXz-w
Old 02-07-2018, 5:46 AM

Our power goes out 3 - 4 times a year; longest was for four days. I have a generator but don't like to use it. I keep four old-school glass hurricane lamps for light if needed, and a half-dozen cheap galvanized lanterns from Tractor supply for extra light. Usually I just go to bed early.
Old 02-07-2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
My neighbor (a realtor) always gives me a Christmas basket like they give their customers.

This year it contained one of these little LED lanterns by Etekcity.

It's great! Small and bright, I plan on buying more.

Took it tent camping two weekends ago, perfect.

Better version of that is this. USB Rechargeable with AA backup, will act as a power bank for charging stuff. The red light mose is good for not attracting bugs into the tent while camping. Long battery life and I believe a better color spectrum than the etekcity ones. I have both.

SUBOOS Dual Power Ultimate Rechargeable LED Lantern and 5200 mAh USB Power Bank - 15 hours of light from a single charge (3 AA Batteries Also Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZ2R89O..._MmYEAbZVFJ1S9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
What is the capacity of your USB power banks, if you can run them for days?
I have power banks from 2400mAh to 120,000 mAh. Most are around the 20,000 mAh range. By running for days means when light is needed, not 24/7. The 120,000 mAh one would run the lights for a month or more I'm sure.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
It has been my experience that if you actually have to do something at night you learn than a flashlight is not as good as a headlamp.

because even the cheap plastic two LED headband type headlights (made by Duracell or better but nothing that's very bulky you're looking for lightweight and thin ish) give you two hands-free,
which if you're up doing things at night or when the power is out you will probably need as many hands-free as you can get. Having to put down a flashlight a name it and the direction and then need to move it again if you're working on something is a waste.

Which brings me to the thread question...

I usually just take my headband light off and gently put a clear plastic gallon jug of water on top of it or beside it near the bottom pointed in the direction I need. This system magnifies and defuses the headlamps beam style lighting.
( the water jug might help with the overheating effect someone else mentioned but I've never run into overheating headlamps.)

it's not enough to light a big room but attend or small area it will allow you to see plenty to function.

Lanterns are fine for some applications but if you're walking with one you might be giving your self a type of night blindness with the light shining back at you. Flashlights also have good points for checking your house or certain areas but a headlamp is lightweight, usually inexpensive, allows you to see your problem... even if your problems are moving as you work on them.
I have many headlamps that have good throw to them but needed on with more of a flood light. I bought a Streamlight Bandit for that reason.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They light up a room nicely and if you are working on something using a headlamp and don't want it washed out because of a beam that is to focused they work great. I use it a lot when I have to treat wounds and such.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofugly13 View Post
Better version of that is this. USB Rechargeable with AA backup, will act as a power bank for charging stuff. The red light mose is good for not attracting bugs into the tent while camping. Long battery life and I believe a better color spectrum than the etekcity ones. I have both.

SUBOOS Dual Power Ultimate Rechargeable LED Lantern and 5200 mAh USB Power Bank - 15 hours of light from a single charge (3 AA Batteries Also Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UZ2R89O..._MmYEAbZVFJ1S9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have one of those under the Etekcity brand. They are great lights but have a bad parasitic drain on them. They will kill their charge pretty quick.
Old 02-07-2018, 5:57 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Here's one of the lights I built a couple months ago.
I routed out the inside of a old scrap of redwood 2x4 and stuffed it full of LED's, batteries, and custom electronics.
It's adjustable from 0 - 500 lumens in 256 steps and uses 3000K CCT, 90 CRI LEDs that give a nice quality of light with good color rendition.
It runs from a 12 volt wall wart or from it's own internal batteries.

Efficient switch mode operation for both the LED driver and the battery charger.
On internal battery power it will run for 3-1/2 hours at constant full power output (500+ lumens), plus another 2-1/2 hours of diminishing light as it ramps down from full power to off. (>6 hours total to fully dead.)
Lowest power level is dim (2-3 lumens) but more than adequate to navigate around a room and find stuff without kicking cats & furniture and It will run for over 10 days at lowest power. (The one in the kitchen was tested at 244+ hours on low power)

A night light function turns light on when it gets dark, off when it gets light. User can adjust the default night light brightness or disable night light function entirely.
Emergency light function turns light on when grid power goes out (if photo sensor says it's dark enough). User can adjust default emergency light brightness or disable emergency light function entirely.

On

Off

Here's another light I made based around the same electronics but stuffed in to an old fluorescent magnifier lamp that had ceased working.
This one sits on my wifes desk in her "office" but it''s also nice and portable.

Underside.

Here's the NiMH battery charger I designed for the charging task. It will charge the 6 cell AA NiMH battery pack from any DC power source capable of 11 - 14VDC @ > 1.5 amps.
Board is a little less than 2" long.
Old 02-07-2018, 6:02 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkPillsburyDude View Post
I turn on the red light.
Roxanne? Is that you?
Old 02-07-2018, 6:08 PM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

And of course if I need to power computers and the fridge(s) as well as lights I just use one of these:

Old 02-07-2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
I have one of those under the Etekcity brand. They are great lights but have a bad parasitic drain on them. They will kill their charge pretty quick.
My first one is etekcity. I use it a lot and haven't found it to drain. It holds it's charge for me. QC is probably near non-existent for these things.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 6:54 PM

In town, throw a switch and start the gen set.

At the ranch, nothing. Batteries take over for a couple of days and if the solar doesn't keep the batteries over 55% the gen set takes over and powers everything and charges the battery. Seamless.
Old 02-07-2018, 8:58 PM

road flares

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 02-09-2018, 3:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
road flares
I understand these can really light up a home... ... ...

Home is where your heart is warmed... while sleeping.
Old 02-09-2018, 1:51 PM

I have blackout buddies in each room that kick in if it's dark and the power is out.

2 line is my orange ammo can with 5 led lanterns and a couple of power banks.

3rd line is in planning phase; generator and solar panels with bigger power bank.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
My neighbor (a realtor) always gives me a Christmas basket like they give their customers.
This year it contained one of these little LED lanterns by Etekcity.
It's great! Small and bright, I plan on buying more.
Took it tent camping two weekends ago, perfect.

Yup these work great.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I understand these can really light up a home...
I tried this indoors, but it made my house smell like a pistol caliber carbine. Gross.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:18 PM

Since I do as many as 5-7 camping trips a year I have many propane lanterns, head lamps, 7 day candles (from 99cent stores), to flashlights and in prolonged outage 2 generators mainly used to keep refrigerator and freezer items cold or frozen.
Old 02-09-2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
When the power is out I don't light up anything, i just enjoy the peace and tranquility.

If I need light and it's nighttime, I use a Streamlight 'Siege' Lantern. Does that count as the non-flashlight variety?
Those are great & low priced. I got five of them. Besides emergencies, they came in handy when my plumber replaced some pipes in a dark basement
Old 02-09-2018, 6:36 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You guys are over complicating the problem. this is the answer:

Old 02-09-2018, 8:24 PM

I grab some of the solar lights from the yard

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Luminaid
Solar power LED inflatable lights
I keep a few in places where I normally have lights on so they are charging all the time and if/when the lights go out I'm ready
Old 02-11-2018, 1:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious_Beans View Post
And of course if I need to power computers and the fridge(s) as well as lights I just use one of these:

Bastard!!!!! I scour CL's looking for Listeroids
Old 02-11-2018, 3:30 PM

I haven't had the power go out at night while I was awake. I do have many candles stored away and the wife has decorative scented candles throughout the house. I also have a couple of Energizer LED lanterns standing by in a kitchen cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2018, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I kind of want one of those "mini" or "tiny" 4x28650 led lights that puts out 4800 lumen, hahah.
Old 02-11-2018, 6:51 PM

Harbor Freight, most of the time they are free. Just stick one on the fridge (magnet base) and one in the bathroom.

Old 02-12-2018, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
Harbor Freight, most of the time they are free. Just stick one on the fridge (magnet base) and one in the bathroom....
I just got one more of those, Gratis, yesterday. However modding these to accept external power, from batts that won't leak is my goal. I just have to find the connector I want to use, as checking the batts for leakage in these is a pain, especially when the power is out. I've modded some that take USB from a battery bank, but I need to drop a resistor in-line, as the LEDs get warm enough to warp the reflector @ 5v.

I am thinking a project box running 3.7v (4.2v max) with an 18650 (takes 17670 too), RCR123A (3v) holders in parallel, and maybe more, for redundancy, but only dropping one in during the outage, with maybe an RCA, or similar plug on everything modded for ease of coupling...

This would, I assume decrease losses from the step-up, if running on batts with no 5v conversion, but there would also be no protection against overdischarge, unless using protected batts.
However, I assume protection could be coupled in-line?

Last edited by the86d; 02-12-2018 at 4:30 AM..
Old 02-12-2018, 7:09 AM

Candles and a BIC lighter.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:27 AM

Quote:
I just got one more of those, Gratis, yesterday. However modding these to accept external power, from batts that won't leak is my goal. I just have to find the connector I want to use, as checking the batts for leakage in these is a pain, especially when the power is out. I've modded some that take USB from a battery bank, but I need to drop a resistor in-line, as the LEDs get warm enough to warp the reflector @ 5v.

I am thinking a project box running 3.7v (4.2v max) with an 18650 (takes 17670 too), RCR123A (3v) holders in parallel, and maybe more, for redundancy, but only dropping one in during the outage, with maybe an RCA, or similar plug on everything modded for ease of coupling...

This would, I assume decrease losses from the step-up, if running on batts with no 5v conversion, but there would also be no protection against overdischarge, unless using protected batts.
However, I assume protection could be coupled in-line?
Your project is way over my head, but I have found that getting rid of the HB batteries right away and putting in some good Duracells, minimizes the battery leakage problem.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:31 AM

I sort of like the dark but I keep a couple of these charging in the windowsill:

Old 02-12-2018, 8:55 AM
Keeper of the can opener
CGN Contributor

I picked up 2 "clamp lamps" from walmart last week. I like them because they can be clamped onto the edge of a table or counter or car fender or whatever. Flexible stalk lets them be pointed in any direction including up for ceiling bounce. Now if only they were cordless and rechargeable...

So... I gutted one of them and removed the lamp socket and cord and will retrofit it with LED's, my custom lighting control board and battery charger, and a 6 pack of NiMH AA's. Same hardware that I used in post #54 but with a different LED board.
I made up a 36 LED board that fits inside the lamp housing. LEDs are 4000K CCT with 90 CRI and put out a nice pleasant quality light. I'll probably assemble the goods next weekend if I have time.

I'll post another photo when it's finished.
Old 02-13-2018, 3:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
Your project is way over my head, but I have found that getting rid of the HB batteries right away and putting in some good Duracells, minimizes the battery leakage problem.
Yup, I think 2 of the 4 (now 5) I have are running LSD NiMH batts, and another 2 are batt-free for power-bank use.

I just received my order of 48 NiMH LSD's (24 AA, and 24 AAA) and now that some are charged it's time to swap the new one's batts too.

I usually keep all the batts from Chineeseium electronicals... I guess just in case, but still really don't use them, if I can avoid it.

Edit, NOPE I was wrong, only one (out of the now 5) had NiMH, so I just swapped the new one and the overlooked one into the LSD NiMH rotation.
I do have a Dollar-store lantern, and some more and just noticed that they are AA, not AAA, so they should last longer than expected.

I have some cheap unpowered USB hubs coming that should allow splitting of single USB outputs to multiple USB LED lights, but we shall see if shorting the data pins is needed.

Last edited by the86d; 02-13-2018 at 4:18 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the last 3D Streamlight siege I ordered was 100 or so lumens brighter, same price. Those things are super tough, water proof, and have insanely long battery life... like if you leave them on in the rain overnight, they will still be bright in the morning. Are all these generic lamps water proof?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Are all these generic lamps water proof?
I don't know, it never rained inside my house, not even in Subic.