Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-26-2018, 5:18 PM

Default Optics Planet

There was a recent thread I posted on about a bad experience I had with Optics Planet awhile back(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1412655). Optics Planet obviously read the post and a lady named Carly contacted me to let me know Optics Planet wanted to make it right. They did. I was offered a generous gift certificate but instead I asked for some merchandise that cost a little more than the offered gift certificate. The merchandise arrived yesterday. Seems like Optics Planet is on the right track.
Old 01-26-2018, 8:18 PM

Besides there inventory count I have never had a problem with them. They also take paypal credit which is awesome for me because I do not have a real credit card lol.

Also, you won something and it was not up to par with a paid for product. Meh, if it was something you paid for I would be miffed.
Old 01-26-2018, 8:38 PM

Ive ordered thousands of dollars worth of optics from them over the years and never an issue.
Old 01-26-2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
Besides there inventory count I have never had a problem with them. They also take paypal credit which is awesome for me because I do not have a real credit card lol.

Also, you won something and it was not up to par with a paid for product. Meh, if it was something you paid for I would be miffed.
So if you won a Trijicon scope from Optics Planet that was so old the tritium wasn’t glowing you wouldn’t be miffed? Give me a f—king break.
Old 01-26-2018, 9:33 PM

I ordered a mid-priced piece of glass from them recently--it arrived promptly with no problems.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
So if you won a Trijicon scope from Optics Planet that was so old the tritium wasn’t glowing you wouldn’t be miffed? Give me a f—king break.
3 years later and still touchy, seems like more than a little miffed.
What were the stipulations involved with the drawing?
Also they offered a gift certificate that you admit was generous but you instead ask for even more than that. We'll probably find that trijicons in the marketplace soon.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Ive ordered thousands of dollars worth of optics from them over the years and never an issue.
Plus 1! I've had great service and deals from Optics Planet.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef9boy88 View Post
3 years later and still touchy, seems like more than a little miffed.
What were the stipulations involved with the drawing?
Also they offered a gift certificate that you admit was generous but you instead ask for even more than that. We'll probably find that trijicons in the marketplace soon.
Your post was ridiculous. In June of 2015 Optics Planet had a drawing. One of the prizes was a NEW Trijicon 3-9x40 AccuPoint. I won the Accupoint. The scope was so old the tritium was 100% burned out. Yes I was miffed as any NORMAL person would be. The gift certificate was for $100.00. This was what I asked for - https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-u...o-7862003.html. It cost $118.49. That’s much much less than the value of a fully functional AccuPower. Optics Planet agreed to my request immediately so they obviously didn’t have an issue with it. But you do. I was miffed at the time but not when I made the post recently. I gave the scope to a college student I was working with because he had a rifle but no scope, and mounted it for him. Sent him a text message and he said he still has the scope so I doubt the scope will be for sale anytime soon.

“We'll probably find that trijicons in the marketplace soon.“. Stupid statement. Why would I hold on to the scope for 2.5 years and then suddenly sell it because I got a new case trimmer. Get a life and quit trolling.

Last edited by Horrendo Revolver; 01-26-2018 at 10:39 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 6:01 AM

I've gotten some insane deals from Optics Planet that no other vendor would come close to matching. There prices fluctuate like no other vendor from day to day, so it does take patience to find the low low price sometimes.
Old 01-27-2018, 6:05 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Your post was ridiculous. In June of 2015 Optics Planet had a drawing. One of the prizes was a NEW Trijicon 3-9x40 AccuPoint. I won the Accupoint. The scope was so old the tritium was 100% burned out. Yes I was miffed as any NORMAL person would be. The gift certificate was for $100.00. This was what I asked for - https://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-u...o-7862003.html. It cost $118.49. That’s much much less than the value of a fully functional AccuPower. Optics Planet agreed to my request immediately so they obviously didn’t have an issue with it. But you do. I was miffed at the time but not when I made the post recently. I gave the scope to a college student I was working with because he had a rifle but no scope, and mounted it for him. Sent him a text message and he said he still has the scope so I doubt the scope will be for sale anytime soon.

“We'll probably find that trijicons in the marketplace soon.“. Stupid statement. Why would I hold on to the scope for 2.5 years and then suddenly sell it because I got a new case trimmer. Get a life and quit trolling.
You're holding a 3-year grudge because you got a free scope with a minor defect...? LOL

I've only ordered from Optics Planet once; I bought an ACOG, and the transaction went just fine. No complaints here.
Old 01-27-2018, 7:10 AM

In stock in warehouse items are ok, special vendor orders may not be in stock (ordered Aero Precison scope mount took 3 months to arrive)
Old 01-27-2018, 8:02 AM

Someone started a thread wanting info on Trjicon Warranty service. I posted about my experience. Optics Planet happened to play a role in the story. This in turn gets translated into a three year hard on for Optics Planet? I don’t get it. In my original post I didn’t even say I’d never use them again.

The name Trijicon is pretty much synonymous with battery free illumination. If you get a Trijicon product new and the and there is no illumination is that considered a minor defect?

The purpose of this thread was to compliment Optics Planet yet it seems some people are taking it as just the opposite. I really don’t get it.

Last edited by Horrendo Revolver; 01-27-2018 at 8:06 AM..
Old 01-27-2018, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Have you ever owned a tritium-powered optic?

Better yet, have you ever owned a tritium-powered optic manufactured by Trijicon?

I could be wrong but I was sure that the Accupoint only came out about 10 years ago?

With that being said, if you understand how Tritium works, you'll know that it has a half-life of roughly 12 1/2 years. This means, after 12 1/2 years, the tritium will only glow half as much as it did when the scope was first built.

The tritium in these optics do not power the reticle to be day light bright; instead they are dimly lit as to not disturb one's night-vision under low to no light.

Anyway, good on Optics Planet for helping you out.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:22 AM

So how much for the scope, I’m in the market.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Have you ever owned a tritium-powered optic?

Better yet, have you ever owned a tritium-powered optic manufactured by Trijicon?

I could be wrong but I was sure that the Accupoint only came out about 10 years ago?

With that being said, if you understand how Tritium works, you'll know that it has a half-life of roughly 12 1/2 years. This means, after 12 1/2 years, the tritium will only glow half as much as it did when the scope was first built.

The tritium in these optics do not power the reticle to be day light bright; instead they are dimly lit as to not disturb one's night-vision under low to no light.

Anyway, good on Optics Planet for helping you out.
Yea I understand. I got a scope that had tritium in it and it was not visible to my eyes. Trijicon told me the scope was old enough that the tritium needed to be recharged and there would be a fee for it.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
So how much for the scope, I’m in the market.
If you would read the posts in this thread you’d know I don’t have the scope.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:36 AM

The purpose of this thread was to give credit where credit is due yet it looks as if a number of people have interpreted it as the opposite. I don’t believe Optics Planet would have done what they did for me if the thought they had no culpability. Anyway even though I started this thread I’m bowing out and will not reply to any more insults.
Old 01-27-2018, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There was a recent thread I posted on about a bad experience I had with Optics Planet awhile back(http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1412655). Optics Planet obviously read the post and a lady named Carly contacted me to let me know Optics Planet wanted to make it right. They did. I was offered a generous gift certificate but instead I asked for some merchandise that cost a little more than the offered gift certificate. The merchandise arrived yesterday. Seem like Optics Planet is on the right track.
I’ve never had any problems with Optics Planet.
Old 01-28-2018, 8:45 AM

I'm sure none of us will ever see Optics Planet give away any of their less than 100% items ever again....it costs them to much money! Who wouldn't want a FREE fully functional trijicon scope with a burnt out glow?? It was free! If it wasn't what you wanted, give it back to Optics Planet so someone less fortunate may have the opportunity to be BLESSED with such a gift! This is the exact reason why food that expired yesterday and can't be sold must be thrown in the garbage instead if feeding the poor. Now it's too costly and bad press for a retailer to GIVE expired product away!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:14 AM
CGN Contributor

I've had mixed experiences with Optics Planet.

I bought a gun safe from them and they shipped it with the original packaging, no paper or cardboard. It sat on my porch for a few hours before I could get home from work. Now the postman, neighbors, and everyone else in town know Im a gun nut and I have rifles worth protecting with a safe. I value my privacy and if they would have just wrapped it with paper it would have been a lot more inconspicuous.

Another time I tried to buy a scope from them. It was a great deal and it looked like they were in stock. It turns out they weren't, and after waiting two months they canceled my order.
Old 01-28-2018, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

I've tried Optics Planet twice. Both times the shipping was horrible (3-4 weeks on the 1st order and the second one got canceled after 5 weeks when I called and was told it was out of stock). Maybe things have changed recently, but my experience with them has been poor.
Old 01-28-2018, 6:22 PM

I love optics planet, free shipping and no sales tax. I got my razor HD gen 2 from them because they had a 10% discount code. The high end scopes are price protected so this is a great deal.
Old 01-28-2018, 6:27 PM

I love Optics Planet as well. The fact that they contacted you and made it right, by giving you more than what they thought would make it right goes to show Optics Planet cares. Not too many businesses care like that.

Love 'em. I will continue to support Optics Planet.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:00 PM

I cannot do business with this company and will not recommend it to any one else. A few weeks ago, I tried to order AR-15 upper (16" complete upper) and paid via credit card. A few days later, I received an email from the company stated that my order was canceled due to "export control" or some non-sense.

Initially, I thought the company mistakenly thought that I ordered a complete rifle instead of just an upper. I called to find out and i was told that it violated local/state law and cannot be shipped to CA. I asked them what specific local/CA law that I am violating by ordering this item, the company can not say which law but advised by legal that to ship the item would be illegal.

So, I asked how can you say that I am violating a law w/o stating which law is broken? Then, they stated that it could be regional law or law from a neighboring state that may effect it, so it is a blanket ban on that region. ( I swear this is what they said, I am not creative enough to make up something this ridiculous).

I pointed out the obvious fact that law from a different state cannot be applied to neighboring state at random just because they are close by. Obvious example would be totally different gun laws that governs Arizona vs. California. Anyhow, this went on for a few more minutes without any logical or sound answers from this company.

I have enough problems dealing illogical and moronic gun laws of this state and I don't need some company from different state randomly and incorrectly applying laws that does not exist further aggravate the situation. As far as I am concerned, this company's action/inaction is only helping our state government diminishing our rights. This company chose to side with our local government and against us, out-numbered and law-abiding citizens.
So, I urge others not to do business with this outfit.

P.S. After this incident, I went to the manufacturer of the upper's website, and ordered directly from them. Shockingly, the company shipped the complete upper to my house w/o delay and no local or state law enforcement agency came and kicked down my door and confiscated the item.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM

I have had both positive and negative experiences with Optics Planet. They often times have good prices that can be combined with coupons or other promos to get a great price. Returns are a huge pain in the *** with Optics Planet: they are slow, I have been gauged for return shipping, and the credit takes a while to come back to you. I now use them for items that I don't think I will need to return. It's a shame because they have a large selection of Tru-Spec Apparel, but unless you're certain the item will fit, order it elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2018, 5:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Mixed results with me as well

They've been really fast and responsive with one exception. Waiting on a Burris 1-6X scope that they probably didn't have in stock. They didn't charge my CC and I'm pretty sure it will arrive sometime in the next couple of months.
Old 01-30-2018, 7:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutcliffe View Post
They've been really fast and responsive with one exception. Waiting on a Burris 1-6X scope that they probably didn't have in stock. They didn't charge my CC and I'm pretty sure it will arrive sometime in the next couple of months.
Be weary that's what happened to me but they just canceled the order after two months. It would be nice if they let you know before purchasing if something is/is not in stock. That's my one beef with them, it's very unclear what is in stock, what is not. They may have good prices, but there's value in being able to get something in a week vs several months (and maybe not at all after all that waiting). Needless to say I went to B&H Photo Video, I have never had a negative experience with them and very good deals as well.
Old 02-09-2018, 5:30 PM

Nope. I'll never order from them again. They sold me a holster that was pulled free of the threading. They would not exchange or take it back. Jerks.
Old 02-09-2018, 7:03 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Optics Planet is a weird bird...their website is a little funky, their prices fluctuate wildly, and you have to really pay attention to their estimated shipping quotes.

But with all that, I was able to pick up two TA-33 ACOG’s for a song during the Super Bowl with a combo of low price and 10% coupon. Both were shipped the next day and arrived today. BNIB and in perfect condition.

I returned a TA-31 ACOG to them a couple of weeks ago that I didn’t need without an issue. All done on-line. Credit was issued quickly.

OTOH, I ordered a set of G-10 Hogue grips for my 92FS from them and they took about 3 weeks to arrive. I didn’t mind too much, as OP was $30 less than anywhere else.

Good thing we have lots of options, haha!!
Old 02-09-2018, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

I often see posts saying to stay away from them and how bad they are..?

Ive used them for years. Not often, but 99% of the time any optic related purchase is through them. You can get good deals. Especially if its on sale, and then you use a discount code you can get a smokin deal a lot of times.

Never had a single issue.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
I often see posts saying to stay away from them and how bad they are..?

Ive used them for years. Not often, but 99% of the time any optic related purchase is through them. You can get good deals. Especially if its on sale, and then you use a discount code you can get a smokin deal a lot of times.

Never had a single issue.
If you "often see posts saying they are bad" then perhaps there is a problem. You didn't have the problem, but trust me, there is a problem.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've had far worse luck with SWFA than I've ever had with OP.
Just lucky, I guess but I'll be sticking with Optics Planet till they break my heart.
Old 02-13-2018, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Default lol forum trolls ftl

Quote:
Someone started a thread wanting info on Trjicon Warranty service. I posted about my experience. Optics Planet happened to play a role in the story. This in turn gets translated into a three year hard on for Optics Planet? I don’t get it. In my original post I didn’t even say I’d never use them again.

The name Trijicon is pretty much synonymous with battery free illumination. If you get a Trijicon product new and the and there is no illumination is that considered a minor defect?

The purpose of this thread was to compliment Optics Planet yet it seems some people are taking it as just the opposite. I really don’t get it.
Well put friend and the reason a lot of forum vets refuse to post. To many off topic and black helicopter tards running around. I tend to just ignore the a**hats and take the advice or whatever of the people willing to post proper stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 02-13-2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Well put friend and the reason a lot of forum vets refuse to post. To many off topic and black helicopter tards running around. I tend to just ignore the a**hats and take the advice or whatever of the people willing to post proper stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thank you.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:46 AM

My experiences with OpticsPlanet. I have three that I’m aware of.

So long ago, that I don’t even remember the year, they had a telescope on sale for a price I was willing to pay. I suppose the best thing about this transaction was how little I remember about it. I gave them money, they gave me what I paid for.

In 2010, at the height of the ATAC’s craze, I ordered a pair of pants from them. Again they had it for a price I was willing to pay, and it was in stock. After two weeks the shipping label still said “Shipping label has been created” and had an arrival date of a week prior. After going back and forth with OpticsPlanet and finally requesting a refund, they shipped a replacement pair of pants. And then for two weeks asked me to return the original (never shipped) pair. After a while I stopped responding with “original order never arrived” and they charged me for a second pair of pants. Which I disputed with my credit card company, who after investigating the issue (which including contacting FedEx) reversed the first charge, under the logic the two charges were two separate orders, one that was delivered and one that wasnt. Never heard anything about it again.

Recently, I ordered a Leupold Mk 4 scope from them (see: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1422825 ). The long and short of that was they had sent me a scope that had already been returned. The plan was for me to send it back to them, and once the return was showing in the FedEx system, they’d cross ship me a replacement overnight.

I sent the scope back last Thursday, the tracking number showed in the system on Friday and was delivered on Tuesday. Didn’t hear anything from OpticsPlanet on a replacement. Called on Monday, left a message, called on Tuesday and reached out to them here (responded to the message they sent me in response to my thread), hung up after 9 minutes on hold, and called again today and got through (8 minutes on hold).

The replacement will be sent today two-day and I should have it by Friday. Monday at the latest.

The tracking number provided shows: Shipping label has been created. And an expected delivery date of Friday before 8 PM.

“Let him who has no gun sell his robe and buy one” Gospel According to SGT Kane 22:36

Last edited by SGTKane; 02-14-2018 at 9:48 AM.. Reason: Added clarity to the pants timeline.