Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
Joy? You guys are scaring me!

I wouldn’t be happy at all about getting my gun on a confiscation list.

But maybe I’m just being a grump. Haven’t had my coffee yet..🤨

"joy" = lame sarcasm. No, I AM not happy about registering. And no, you aren't being a grump. After all, this is CalGuns- no place for thin skins or p*****s. However: 1) I plan escaping within the next 12 months and 2) until I DO leave, in my judgement, I am better off having my stuff registered. As always, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA View Post
"joy" = lame sarcasm. No, I AM not happy about registering. And no, you aren't being a grump. After all, this is CalGuns- no place for thin skins or p*****s. However: 1) I plan escaping within the next 12 months and 2) until I DO leave, in my judgement, I am better off having my stuff registered. As always, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I get you, thanks. I just hate giving the SOBs the satisfaction, so am getting rid of the detachable mag on one, and defeaturing another.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Old 01-24-2018, 1:05 AM

https://www.bulletbutton.com/product-p/ar15bbc.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-24-2018, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorts View Post
upload another picture with 22LR on it and see what they will say now.
multical?
I tried to register an AR that was marked .223 with a 9mm upper on. The fact that it's not a .223 upper is clearly distinguishable in the pictures and I also mentioned that in the comments, to which they replied that registration has to match caliber.
Clearly the configuration that I was forced to enter doesnt match the pictures, on their demand, so it would get very interesting if they claim that I have to buy a .223 upper and replace the 9mm upper to stay legal.
Also, with the pictures showing a 9mm upper, but the gun being registered in .223, is it legal to change the upper to a .223 one? What about a .300?

Granted, I submitted the forms in mid-Oct, and I havent heard anything more from the DOJ in a while now, but all my submissions still show as "In Progress"

Anyone else experiencing long delays? Starting to feel like they're sitting on mine until they've figured out what to do, since that seems to be longer than what others have reported.
Old 01-24-2018, 8:42 PM

I submitted 4 ARs on the 23rd of December, including joint owner. I just received the letters today, so turn around was less than a month.

Mine were all stamped multi caliber, and I indicated as such. Pistol grips, FHs, BBs and adjustable stocks, nothing too fancy. I think being simple added some speed to the process, as I had no emails or errors that I had to correct.

For those of you who have joint owners, did your spouse/SO also get separate AW letters?
Old 01-25-2018, 3:22 AM

For one joint registration I know of, the primary registrant got email confirmation in under 24 hours, but the secondary registrant didn't get it until 20 days later.
Old 01-25-2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
I tried to register an AR that was marked .223 with a 9mm upper on. The fact that it's not a .223 upper is clearly distinguishable in the pictures and I also mentioned that in the comments, to which they replied that registration has to match caliber.
Clearly the configuration that I was forced to enter doesnt match the pictures, on their demand, so it would get very interesting if they claim that I have to buy a .223 upper and replace the 9mm upper to stay legal.
Also, with the pictures showing a 9mm upper, but the gun being registered in .223, is it legal to change the upper to a .223 one? What about a .300?

Granted, I submitted the forms in mid-Oct, and I havent heard anything more from the DOJ in a while now, but all my submissions still show as "In Progress"

Anyone else experiencing long delays? Starting to feel like they're sitting on mine until they've figured out what to do, since that seems to be longer than what others have reported.
I had a lower marked with a caliber that did not match any of the uppers i submitted and the marking on the lower was the caliber they wanted. For the unmarked lower i submitted 2 different pics of barrel markings and they accepted interchangeable barrels.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2018, 6:08 AM

ON A SIDE NOTE ON CONFISCATION LISTS: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...6#post21198676

I made a side thread rather than clutter up this one.

Last edited by tomrkba; 01-25-2018 at 6:16 AM..
Old 01-25-2018, 7:29 AM

Received "the letter" for the remaining 4 rifles I registered. So, start (Dec. 4th) to finish (January 25th) of 14 rifle registrations was approx 7 weeks.

Will be starting joint registration shortly.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 AM

Has anyone tried to change address while their application is pending? I am closing on a house next week and me thinks no approval will come before then.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 01-26-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Has anyone tried to change address while their application is pending? I am closing on a house next week and me thinks no approval will come before then.
I would ask the DOJ about that one, but my guess is you're better off having you're mail forwarded via the post office and wait till you get it before changing anything with the DOJ.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Can't find my CCW badge
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
I would ask the DOJ about that one, but my guess is you're better off having you're mail forwarded via the post office and wait till you get it before changing anything with the DOJ.
I agree with just having your mail forwarded, but there is no need to ever report your address change to the DOJ. As far as I know, they don't even have a system for that, and certainly none of their regulations require it.

Worst case scenario, post office loses your approval letter during the transition, so you order another copy of it for $5.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Just got my letter yesterday. Initial submission, mid-Oct.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
I agree with just having your mail forwarded, but there is no need to ever report your address change to the DOJ. As far as I know, they don't even have a system for that, and certainly none of their regulations require it.

Worst case scenario, post office loses your approval letter during the transition, so you order another copy of it for $5.
I have found in the past that government mail never seems to get forwarded. I guess I'll pay the 5. Not really keen on the next tenant seeing I have a letter from CADOJ.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 01-27-2018, 3:47 AM

Default Change magazine release?

Question about changing the magazine lock release from one product to another...
The regulations say you can't change the release mechanism except for "repair or like-kind replacement of the mechanism."

My application has been submitteed but not yet approved. I'd like to change the magazine release. The one I have (Raddlock AK-47) is acting up and is no longer readily available on the market apparently.

I'm thinking to replace the Raddlock with a Solar Tactical magazine lock. Who can know if this is considered a like-kind replacement or repair under these regulations, given that "repair" of an unavailable product means having to replace it with another legally acceptable magazine lock?

Since I already submitted my registration (not approved/completed yet), maybe I could re-submit a new one within the deadline?

What do you think are my options here?
Old 01-27-2018, 8:16 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Question about changing the magazine lock release from one product to another...
The regulations say you can't change the release mechanism except for "repair or like-kind replacement of the mechanism."

My application has been submitteed but not yet approved. I'd like to change the magazine release. The one I have (Raddlock AK-47) is acting up and is no longer readily available on the market apparently.

I'm thinking to replace the Raddlock with a Solar Tactical magazine lock. Who can know if this is considered a like-kind replacement or repair under these regulations, given that "repair" of an unavailable product means having to replace it with another legally acceptable magazine lock?

Since I already submitted my registration (not approved/completed yet), maybe I could re-submit a new one within the deadline?

What do you think are my options here?
Have you received the “your application was received and is in process” e-mail yet and are you just waiting for the snail mail letter? If not, I wouldn’t change anything in case they ask for additional or different photos. I wouldn’t want to have an application for one firearm with photos attached that showed different hardware.

I also wouldn’t submit an additional registration for the same gun, that’s likely to confuse them or delay things further.
Old 01-27-2018, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Have you received the “your application was received and is in process” e-mail yet and are you just waiting for the snail mail letter?
Exactly.

Quote:
I also wouldn’t submit an additional registration for the same gun, that’s likely to confuse them or delay things further.
Once/if I get the official letter, anyone have thoughts (or better yet experience) with how to submit a change of bullet button due to repair?

The regulations say, "Any alteration to the release mechanism converts the assault weapon into a different weapon from the one that was registered."

Therefore, I'm thinking submitting a new registration would be a reasonable step. The regulations definitely create a cockamamy situation on this.
Old 01-27-2018, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Exactly.

Once/if I get the official letter, anyone have thoughts (or better yet experience) with how to submit a change of bullet button due to repair?

The regulations say, "Any alteration to the release mechanism converts the assault weapon into a different weapon from the one that was registered."

Therefore, I'm thinking submitting a new registration would be a reasonable step. The regulations definitely create a cockamamy situation on this.
Given the spirit of the law, any issues arising from going from a BB to a radlock or something like that, is going to be a slam dunk legal challenge.
Old 01-27-2018, 9:12 AM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My thoughts are that isn’t a thing and therefore no one is going to have experience with it.

Once you have the letter you have a RAW. If you have the letter and your RAW has a bullet button of any kind on it, I think you’d have to go pretty far down the rabbit hole of acting like an idiot and saying stupid things to the police before anyone starts comparing photos in the DoJ database and the release device on the firearm in an effort to file charges against you.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Can't find my CCW badge

Quote:
My thoughts are that isn’t a thing and therefore no one is going to have experience with it.

Once you have the letter you have a RAW. If you have the letter and your RAW has a bullet button of any kind on it, I think you’d have to go pretty far down the rabbit hole of acting like an idiot and saying stupid things to the police before anyone starts comparing photos in the DoJ database and the release device on the firearm in an effort to file charges against you.
That's my thought as well. DOJ has no system for "updating" your AW registration, nor is it required. Once it's registered, that's it. Done. The regulations say it's fine to replace your magazine release with a "like kind". Note that it doesn't define "like", and it doesn't say "same".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 1:36 PM

So has anyone registered a PTR 91 or anything besides AK and AR pattern rifles? I saw one person mentioned an AUG.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-28-2018, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhogg24 View Post
So has anyone registered a PTR 91 or anything besides AK and AR pattern rifles? I saw one person mentioned an AUG.
Not a PTR, but I have registered FALs and Vz-58s.
Old 01-28-2018, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixEstrella View Post
Not a PTR, but I have registered FALs and Vz-58s.
I was worried that anything besides the usual ARs and AKs would confuse the people processing the paperwork.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-28-2018, 6:36 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was worried that anything besides the usual ARs and AKs would confuse the people processing the paperwork.
Oh it has. I recommend skimming through the thread, and also the one about incomplete/rejections.
Old 01-28-2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
For one joint registration I know of, the primary registrant got email confirmation in under 24 hours, but the secondary registrant didn't get it until 20 days later.

I registered several weeks ago and have not received any confirmation or rejection. Everything still states in progress. Just keep checking the mail I guess.

Old 01-28-2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
They wanted another pic of my toggle mag release to prove it didn't work. Still waiting on approval for it.

Anything out of the ordinary will cause a delay. Always use the comment section to explain things.
Old 01-28-2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Oh it has. I recommend skimming through the thread, and also the one about incomplete/rejections.
It took me 2 nights but I read all 20 pages of this thread. Seemed like it was mostly multi caliber stuff getting marked incomplete. I'll have to check out the other thread you mentioned.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-28-2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
They wanted another pic of my toggle mag release to prove it didn't work. Still waiting on approval for it.

Anything out of the ordinary will cause a delay. Always use the comment section to explain things.
My PTR has a paddle release that is disabled. Hopefully I can just write that in the comments and it won't be an issue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-28-2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
My PTR has a paddle release that is disabled. Hopefully I can just write that in the comments and it won't be an issue.
With BB installed paddle release will be loosed, take a photo with paddle release position forward toward the front of the muzzle.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 PM

My PTR91 was not questioned for the paddle, but there can be some confusion on the actual make of the rifle as indicated by another thread. Just make sure your photos of the info on both sides is clear.

I registered as:
Gun Make: PTR-91
Gun Model: PTR
Gun Caliber: .308 Winchester
Old 01-29-2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
It took me 2 nights but I read all 20 pages of this thread. Seemed like it was mostly multi caliber stuff getting marked incomplete. I'll have to check out the other thread you mentioned.
This should help.

AW Registration - What I've Learned - Read before Registering

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1414621
Old 01-29-2018, 3:28 PM

got my first DOJ issued serial number for my self-built full featured AR. took about 3 weeks from mailing the letter to getting a number assigned.

when I filled out my form BOF 1008 I put my name down as 'Make' instead of 'U S' as some people suggested. They accept my name as the make.

Last edited by axioma; 01-29-2018 at 3:33 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axioma View Post
got my first DOJ issued serial number for my self-built full featured AR. took about 3 weeks from mailing the letter to getting a number assigned.

when I filled out my form BOF 1008 I put my name down as 'Make' instead of 'U S' as some people suggested. They accept my name as the make.

You are supposed to use your name as the make for a self-built firearm for BOF1008. For the AW registration, the drop down has “US” stands for “unlicensed subject.” Two different things.

Old 01-29-2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
You are supposed to use your name as the make for a self-built firearm for BOF1008. For the AW registration, the drop down has “US” stands for “unlicensed subject.” Two different things.

When you do the AW reg you put “U S”in the make drop down. Because they obviously aren’t going to have your name there.

Then you must put “Make: first name last name” in the comments, or they will kick it back and have you add that to the comments later.
Old 01-30-2018, 1:11 PM

ahhh I see. thanks.
Old 01-30-2018, 3:16 PM

I have a quick question. When my wife does her paperwork under my CRIS number, does she also need to upload the same photos of the rifles or does she just need to upload a pic of our proof of residency to show that we are at the same residence.
Old 01-30-2018, 3:21 PM
Can't find my CCW badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
I have a quick question. When my wife does her paperwork under my CRIS number, does she also need to upload the same photos of the rifles or does she just need to upload a pic of our proof of residency to show that we are at the same residence.
DOJ wants her to upload the gun photos as well, even though you already did. They like the extra work, I guess.
Old 01-30-2018, 3:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Trying to get this all figured out tonight as I will be doing mine today and then hers after I get the CRIS number
Old 01-30-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged
Old 01-31-2018, 8:05 AM

Took some time to enter four rifles. I will wait for my approval before getting the wife in the system.