Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-20-2018, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

M1 carbine first

Rock out with your Glock out
Old 01-20-2018, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4th born View Post
Please re-read OP original post
Ok. Done. What's your point?

FWIW I was responding to your contention (which I quoted) that the Garand was somehow superior to the carbine. It's not, for the reasons I outlined in my response.
They should both be considered prized possessions for the above referenced reasons & the fact that they are (the OP's) family heirlooms.
I own one of each. For all I know they could have been used by a brave G.I. To smoke a Nazi/Commie. They are both Bad-assed battle implements I will proudly pass on to my boys.

~Pope John Paul II

Last edited by BigStiCK; 01-20-2018 at 3:00 PM..
Old 01-20-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Ok. What's your point? For all I know they could have been used by a brave G.I. To smoke a Nazi/Commie. They are both Bad-assed battle implements I will proudly pass on to my boys.
well put!
Old 01-21-2018, 1:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lplover View Post
I can only have one. Which one and why?
Sheesh, it's like I can't even have an opinion anymore.

lmao what has calguns become??
Old 01-21-2018, 8:04 AM

Looking through the posts, I did not see anything about this.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong. Some did mention the adjustable plug.

If you get the Garand, Do NOT shoot commercial 30-06 through it. You will bend the op rod. Military 30-06 is loaded to a lower pressure.

To get around this, you can do two things. Get military ammo. I don't know if the CMP/DCM still offers it or get an adjustable valve where you can vent some of the excess gas. They are available through most of the shooting suppliers like Brownells and Midway.

After you've played around with the Garand, then consider an M1A.

Last edited by rds95991; 01-21-2018 at 8:07 AM..
Old 01-21-2018, 8:18 AM

^^^ FUD

you're just repeating something you read on the interwebz.

there is zero evidence that U.S. manufactured 150 gr FMJ commercial ammo has ever bent a Garand oprod.

if you have such evidence, produce it.
Old 01-21-2018, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Which one? M1 Garand

Why?

Old 01-21-2018, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Both are fun shooters. 2 different beasts. The garand is much heavier, and a larger gun to handle. Being hefty the recoil is very tame, yet the round is quite powerful.

M1 carbine is a super fun plinker. Its like shooting a 9mm carbine, but a bit faster round. Light, more compact, can carry it all day and not feel it. Magazines make things simple, and can be taken apart with a flat head screw driver in seconds

What are your plans? Both ammo is easy to find, both guns are easy to find. You can get nice rebuilt carbines with original parts (may be mixed but who cares if you are not a serious collector) all day at gun shows from old dudes for around $900 bucks. Nice clean ww2/korean SA m1 garands go all day at auctions here in orange county for like $700 - $1100. Either one is not hard to find unlike a lot of people are saying.

If you get one or the other, and plan on buying one later somewhere, dont buy a commercial modern made one (like the garbage modern "inland mfg"). They are nowhere near as good as a real USGI, and often have issues running correctly.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 01-21-2018 at 9:11 AM..
Old 01-21-2018, 9:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Both are fun shooters. 2 different beasts. The garand is much heavier, and a larger gun to handle. Being hefty the recoil is very tame, yet the round is quite powerful.

M1 carbine is a super fun plinker. Its like shooting a 9mm carbine, but a bit faster round. Light, more compact, can carry it all day and not feel it. Magazines make things simple, and can be taken apart with a flat head screw driver in seconds

What are your plans? Both ammo is easy to find, both guns are easy to find. You can get nice rebuilt carbines with original parts (may be mixed but who cares if you are not a serious collector) all day at gun shows from old dudes for around $900 bucks. Nice clean ww2/korean SA m1 garands go all day at auctions here in orange county for like $700 - $1100. Either one is not hard to find unlike a lot of people are saying.

If you get one or the other, and plan on buying one later somewhere, dont buy a commercial modern made one (like the garbage modern "inland mfg"). They are nowhere near as good as a real USGI, and often have issues running correctly.
M1 Garand for me.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
^^^ FUD

you're just repeating something you read on the interwebz.

there is zero evidence that U.S. manufactured 150 gr FMJ commercial ammo has ever bent a Garand oprod.

if you have such evidence, produce it.
Excellent video on the subject....

~Pope John Paul II
Old 01-21-2018, 11:17 AM

One of these guns is a smaller, cheaper imitation of the other. The other one is "The greatest battle implement ever devised". If all things considered are equal, go with the Garand..... and never look back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by sharpiedogjunior; 01-21-2018 at 5:12 PM..
Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Excellent video on the subject....

Thanks for posting this.
Old 01-21-2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Dirt View Post
As others said ..Both
But ,,, If only one then the maker of each would come onto play

Some of the Rarer M-1 Carbines can go for Crazy Money
And since the CMP is 'Out ' ... They are harder to find
Good point, Eatdirt!!! Check out the make of those rifles and compare serials on them too. You can date them very easily online and find out that way which is more valuable. Personally, the Garand is the king IMO. Speaking from experience with both, the Garand will most likely run better than the carbine. They just generally do. Carbines can be quite finicky. Unless you've had them both out to the range and know which one is more reliable.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Carbines are finicky because a lot of them are put together out of a basket of random parts. A lot of the people that put them together didn't know what they were doing.
Old 01-22-2018, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

M1 Carbine. It is an awesome house weapon. 1990 fps with 900 ft lbs. My dad fought with an M1 Carbine on Iwo Jima and said "It never failed me." I took a 200 lb Blacktail deer ta 97 long paces with a single heart/lung shot using R-P 110 JSP. Audie Murphy used one to earn his Medal of Honor, as did Ola Mize in the Korean War. Ammo is cheaper than 3006, too.

If you wanted something for 200 yards and beyond, get the Garand.
Old 01-22-2018, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Garand for sure.

Garand plus an adjustable gas block so you can shoot modern 30-06.

They are great fun at the range and you can shoot damn far with one. Take notes on how many clicks per yard and it will be one great rifle.

Of course the correct answer is, get whichever is in better condition or whichever is more expensive. You could probably swap a carbine for a garand, but I think the garand is a better rifle over all.

I haven't see a good carbine for sale in a long time, just the modern junk receiver based ones. Not sure where people are finding them all day long.

The garand is more fun to shoot at the range though, I can tell you that.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 01-22-2018 at 8:04 AM..
Old 01-22-2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post

Not sure where people are finding them all day long.

Several of each come up for sale here every week.

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php
Old 01-22-2018, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Carbines are finicky because a lot of them are put together out of a basket of random parts. A lot of the people that put them together didn't know what they were doing.
GI M1 Carbines, even mixmasters (which were done by Government arsenals), are not finicky. USGI M1 carbines have 100% parts interchangeability. Later parts were to improve function. That is more interweb BS, just like calling a 110 grain projectile at 1970 fps, generating over 900 ft lbs ME is a "pistol round about like a 9mm."

The two major problems encountered are magazine springs installed backwards, and aftermarket magazines. I use only USGI, and never have issues. Also, if you check your recoil spring, it needs to be between 10 1/8" and 10 1/4". Many have degraded springs after 70 years that are 9.75" and don't cycle.

Also Aguila ammunition is about 150-200 fps or more underpowered, and does not always function well. Wolf steel case DOES eat extractors. That is personal experience, not myth.

I have been using and shooting M1 carbines since I was 10 (and I am 65). I have continuously had a USGI M1 carbine of some flavor since about 1983, and used one as a LEO trunk weapon. I was also a LEO armorer, and did work on M1 Carbines, among the standard issue weapons.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-22-2018 at 5:40 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Single fin mentality
Old 01-23-2018, 5:20 AM
Veteran Member

Old 01-23-2018, 7:31 AM

if you have access to an outdoor range go with the garand, if not the carbine is better for most purposes under 100 yds

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20151127174034

Last edited by jakeair777; 01-23-2018 at 7:36 AM..
Old 01-23-2018, 9:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
GI M1 Carbines, even mixmasters (which were done by Government arsenals), are not finicky. USGI M1 carbines have 100% parts interchangeability. Later parts were to improve function. That is more interweb BS, just like calling a 110 grain projectile at 1970 fps, generating over 900 ft lbs ME is a "pistol round about like a 9mm."
Those are not the ones I'm talking about, as I clearly stated in my post. Lots of the carbines floating around now were put together by unqualified schmucks that just got their hands on boxes of parts. A friend of mine has boxes and boxes of parts from ones that were re-imported but couldn't get approval to sell as complete guns. Some people think you can just slap together the parts like an AR-15 and it will run. Most of the time, it won't.

Quote:
The two major problems encountered are magazine springs installed backwards, and aftermarket magazines. I use only USGI, and never have issues. Also, if you check your recoil spring, it needs to be between 10 1/8" and 10 1/4". Many have degraded springs after 70 years that are 9.75" and don't cycle.
The problem is that most people that don't already have a carbine have to use aftermarket mags because of the 15 round thing.
Old 01-23-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I got a ww2 carbine back in the 90's for $200 love that rifle
picked up a garand a little over a year ago......another love

how about the best of both worlds an m1-a

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 01-23-2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Those are not the ones I'm talking about, as I clearly stated in my post. Lots of the carbines floating around now were put together by unqualified schmucks that just got their hands on boxes of parts. A friend of mine has boxes and boxes of parts from ones that were re-imported but couldn't get approval to sell as complete guns. Some people think you can just slap together the parts like an AR-15 and it will run. Most of the time, it won't.

The problem is that most people that don't already have a carbine have to use aftermarket mags because of the 15 round thing.
Does your friend have any QHMC marked type 1 barrel bands? Butt plates? He could make a fortune off those parts, then just buy a good original.
I'd love to get my hands on a box of Carbine parts.
If you can read, and have internet, you can assemble a functioning Carbine from a good barreled receiver . Most complete rifles and BRs that are sold by private party on CMP Forum are known good, sometimes original condition rifles. Somebody selling cobbled together junk would be blacklisted quick in that community. "import parts" is a misnomer. It's not like the parts are from China. look up Bavarian Carbine. I have a late war Inland brought back through Arlington Ordnance. Original barrel-crisp shiny bore. original (to the best of my knowledge) stock. absolutely beautiful little rifle that functions flawlessly. The import mark is so small, you'd think it was a tiny scratch.

Of course, it was not as cheap to own as a home build AR, but to hold and fire a piece of history is worth every penny I spent. As far as the mags go, pro mags work nice, and Fulton sells blocked 10/15s that seem to work as well. Someday, I'm gonna leave this gulag and own one of these...

Last edited by seabee1; 01-27-2018 at 11:52 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
You can't have just one.
You can try, but you'll succumb like everyone else.
But, I'd buy the carbine first because you can have fun anywhere, even the dreaded indoor square ranges.
If you have easy/regular access to a real outdoor range of at least 250 yds though, I'd go Garand.
After you have a garand and a carbine, you find yourself wanting a Mini14 and an M1a as well.
Collect the whole set...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
After you have a garand and a carbine, you find yourself wanting a Mini14 and an M1a as well.
Collect the whole set...
And a 1903A3
Old 01-24-2018, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I can only have one. Which one and why?
M1 Carbine for indoor range use, although they are like Lays where you can't have just one. I'd like a M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and M1A before Governor Newsom bans them.
Old 01-26-2018, 8:37 PM

UPDATE......Garand it is!

Went to my mom's house today and discovered that the Carbine was gone. My dad either sold it or gifted it before he passed so my decision is easy. The Garand looks pretty good. Springfield Armory S/N 142xxx from March, 1943
Old 01-26-2018, 9:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Several of each come up for sale here every week.

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php
For how much though!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
And a 1903A3
That's part of a completely different set.
The four I mentioned are all gas operated autoloaders with a rotary bolt that covers the top of the action when it's in battery.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another vote for the M1 Garand
Powerful, accurate and reliable.
All that and a delightful, musical tone to remind you to reload.
Old 01-27-2018, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
UPDATE......Garand it is!

Went to my mom's house today and discovered that the Carbine was gone. My dad either sold it or gifted it before he passed so my decision is easy. The Garand looks pretty good. Springfield Armory S/N 142xxx from March, 1943
Needs another x for 1943. I have a Springfield with 1429xxx from March 1943.
Old 01-27-2018, 7:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Needs another x for 1943. I have a Springfield with 1429xxx from March 1943.
You are correct. It's 1421xxx. Thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are correct. It's 1421xxx. Thanks
Congrats on getting a Garand! My most favorite rifle to shoot, cuz I can actually hit what I aim at!

Barrel date and photos would be nice if you ever get the chance!
Old 01-27-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
For how much though!
$800-$1500 generally
Old 01-27-2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
That's part of a completely different set.
The four I mentioned are all gas operated autoloaders with a rotary bolt that covers the top of the action when it's in battery.
Sure, I know that. was just thinking how milsurps and the bug to have more gets us. That's a rifle I never gave much thought to, until I got a Garand.
Old 01-27-2018, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sure, I know that. was just thinking how milsurps and the bug to have more gets us. That's a rifle I never gave much thought to, until I got a Garand.
As a collector the 1903, 1903a3, garand, and carbine are indeed a group.

And once your start reloading for the garand, the 1903a3 makes even more sense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM

I have both. The carbine is fun to shoot and recoil is mild but when the SHTF and I need a bug-out gun, the carbine will be taking a back seat to the Garand--no question.
Jon
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As soon as you get a 1903, you start looking at all the mausers and mosin variants and then a P14 and a Krag and before you know it, you are looking at Schmidt Rubin's, Springfield 1873's and Carcano's amd vetterli's...
It's a much deeper hole than garands and carbines...

Last edited by ar15barrels; 01-27-2018 at 10:42 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine has boxes and boxes of parts from ones that were re-imported but couldn't get approval to sell as complete guns.
Does he have receivers not marked M2? Could sell those with or without barrels and make some sweet carbines. no approval needed.